PDA

View Full Version : All hands on deck. All leaves are cancelled.

luthier
05-03-2011, 12:46 PM
Hi everyone,

Quick update from up here on the flight deck.

We never in a million years thought that this darn full screen mode could give us so much trouble. It's the last thing standing between us and fluid framerate, and what seemed like a simple feature is taking forever to make.

I've said with the previous beta patch that we'd be taking some time off, but because of this patch we've all postponed our holidays and are working feverishly to get the patch completed.

Today was another day when in the morning we thought we were almost there, but as dusk approaches the realization sets in. We need another day.

The good news is that in the meantime we ironed out both Crossfire and SLI support and generally did a lot of other good things to the game. Rest assured that this one persistent full screen issue is not preventing us from improving the game in other ways and proceeding with the plan.

As we approach event horizon with the patch, we may or may not decide to release it as yet another beta version. SLI and Crossfire support are kind a big thing. We'll think it over some more.

I'll be back again tomorrow with a progress report, and hopefully with a patch!

W0ef
05-03-2011, 12:48 PM
Crap, sounds like I will have to buy me that second HD6970 after all now :(

Sounds great though Luthier, thanks for the update and all the hard work you guys are putting in!

lensman1945
05-03-2011, 12:50 PM
Wow! you guys are stars!

good luck with the work:)

addman
05-03-2011, 12:55 PM
Sneaky monkey!:grin: Good news luthier, thanks for being a workaholic.;)

FG28_Kodiak
05-03-2011, 12:56 PM
Could we also get more information on mission scripting. Seems there are wonderfull possibilities, but without documentation it's hard to figure them out.

utu
05-03-2011, 12:58 PM
Thank you Luthier!

Raggz
05-03-2011, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the update. The hard work is much appreciated :)

meplay
05-03-2011, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the work :)

Extreme_One
05-03-2011, 01:06 PM
Wow. Thanks for all the hard work.

Sorry you have cancelled your holidays but I guess none of you would have been able to rest easy knowing there were still issues which needed fixing.

Hats off to you and the team.

I look forward to the next update.

Insuber
05-03-2011, 01:08 PM
Luthier - thank you for the update ... and sorry for your holidays ;-). Hold on!

KDN
05-03-2011, 01:09 PM
Thank you for the update. I hope the future gives you a break!

Feathered_IV
05-03-2011, 01:09 PM
Aw, you didn't have to do all that ;)
Thanks for the news, looking forward to seeing what you've come up with. Pass on our enouragement to the team!

Ali Fish
05-03-2011, 01:12 PM
I've said with the previous beta patch that we'd be taking some time off, but because of this patch we've all postponed our holidays and are working feverishly to get the patch completed.

you guys are really great imo ! but just take those holidays ! without them its not fair and without them good work sometimes isnt good work. never the less a seriously appreciate your honesty and dedication.

Buzzer
05-03-2011, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the update!
Hope you guys can find a solution to the fullscreen-trouble.
Good luck :o

kyletiernan
05-03-2011, 01:17 PM
Thank you!

Rattlehead
05-03-2011, 01:17 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your leave being cancelled, but we truly appreciate your efforts in making this sim the best it can be.

RedToo
05-03-2011, 01:24 PM
Thankyou very much. Make sure you all do get a decent rest.

RedToo.

pupaxx
05-03-2011, 01:26 PM
keep on!!!
Thanks for you support guys.

engarde
05-03-2011, 01:31 PM
such dedication.

thank all of you for your devotion and hard work.

garengarch
05-03-2011, 01:34 PM
Thanks for your efforts - I hope it pays off for you :)

Voidhunger
05-03-2011, 01:34 PM
Thanks!

He111
05-03-2011, 01:35 PM
I dont fly in full screen mode anyway so don't worry about it, just as long as windowed is sweet .. go take your belated easter break! :grin:

He111.

Kankkis
05-03-2011, 01:37 PM
Yeah, good news, i hope that i can play it after that patch with my ati5970:grin:

CharveL
05-03-2011, 01:40 PM
Why does everybody feel the incessant need to suggest to the team that "it's seriously time you take those holidays, we're so concerned for you!"

Really, I think they, as adults, know what they can and can't do and how to spend their time and we as a community don't really need self-appointed representatives telling these guys what's good for them.

We're all (except maybe losers like heliocon) appreciative of their efforts and I think they know that without a thread full of useless posts (almost like this one ;)) giving them permission to take time off, give themselves raises, and pack extra meatloaf in their lunches.

Hey, here's an idea: why not just add your post to one of the "we love and appreciate you" threads and if the devs happen to not meet their personal affirmation needs for the day they can easily open that thread and bask in all the love without wasting unnecessary time. Otherwise post something relevant to the initial post with good wishes and thanks or whatever.

Just a suggestion as I know it's hard to resist sucking up to one's heros sometimes, just that gushing like that tends to be a bit on the tacky side that's all. ;)

Ivan Fooker
05-03-2011, 01:43 PM
+1

------->
Nice news, nevertheless.

kristorf
05-03-2011, 01:43 PM
Ladies and Gents,

Isn't a break more important than a game?
Why risk your health?, the game will wait.
Personally I think a break would benefit all of us as you would return fresher with a clear mind.

Thank you anyway

**edit, just read the above post by Charvel, think your wrong mate, but that is my opinion, not being a fanboy, just a human being**

CharveL
05-03-2011, 01:46 PM
Ladies and Gents,

Personally I think a break would benefit all of us as you would return fresher with a clear mind.

Thank you anyway

Lol, see what I mean?

Kianoni
05-03-2011, 01:46 PM
I really hope you can take some time off soon.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=productivity+overtime

Insuber
05-03-2011, 01:57 PM
CharveL,

it's seriously time you take those holidays, we're so concerned for you as well ! :D

Winger
05-03-2011, 01:59 PM
AWESOME! Big thanks! For being my dealer for the new addicting drug CloD and for doing such a great job! AND PLEASE add SLI quickly! Just received my 3rd GTX 480 in order to run on 2560x1600 resolution in maxxed out settings!:)

Winger

HFC_Dolphin
05-03-2011, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the head ups Ilya.
It's nice to feel that "you're here"!

S!

Doc_uk
05-03-2011, 02:02 PM
Crap, sounds like I will have to buy me that second HD6970 after all now :(

Sounds great though Luthier, thanks for the update and all the hard work you guys are putting in!
Me 2 :)

Doc_uk
05-03-2011, 02:04 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your leave being cancelled, but we truly appreciate your efforts in making this sim the best it can be.
There proberly all working from home, anyways :)

ocococ
05-03-2011, 02:05 PM
Guys calm down. Don't you know MaddoxGames after all these years?

In the old days we had Oleg crying all the time (no time, no money, no rest etc), now we have Luthier crying the same way. The difference is that back then, IL2 was an awesome game trying to be even more awesome.

Don't you find it strange that from the whole game developers in the world, they are the only ones crying? And guess what, they are the only ones that released a "really" unfinished game.

I guess it is a common strategy of MG, so you can feel guilty that you ask so much (a working game) or something.

CharveL
05-03-2011, 02:07 PM
CharveL,

it's seriously time you take those holidays, we're so concerned for you as well ! :D

Now that's what I call a meaningful and relevant post, although it might defeat the clever purpose of your ulterior motives in that I usually have internet access on holidays.

Doc_uk
05-03-2011, 02:08 PM
Don't you find it strange that from the whole game developers in the world, they are the only ones crying? And guess what, they are the only ones that released an completely unfinished game..
Think you will find all games released are all beta's now, this isnt the only one, and wont be the last;)

ocococ
05-03-2011, 02:11 PM
Think you will find all games released are all beta's now, this isnt the only one, and wont be the last;)

If CoD was beta, I would be happy. CoD was released (and still is) experimental/pre-alpha. Never in my life I have seen so bad release.

BadAim
05-03-2011, 02:13 PM
CarveL, while I usually apreciate your contributions, the only thing that pisses me off more than ass kissing is people that don’t know the difference between ass kissing and being nice to people. So just in this particular case, why don’t you bugger off and leave us fanbois to our grovelling.

That said, thanks to the whole team for dedication above and beyond the call of duty! ~S~

MadTommy
05-03-2011, 02:13 PM
I was wondering what leaves had to do with the game?.. :grin:

http://www.ediblegardenproject.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/fall-leaves.jpg

W0ef
05-03-2011, 02:15 PM

In the old days we had Oleg crying all the time (no time, no money, no rest etc), now we have Luthier crying the same way. The difference is that back then, IL2 was an awesome game trying to be even more awesome.

Don't you find it strange that from the whole game developers in the world, they are the only ones crying? And guess what, they are the only ones that released a "really" unfinished game.

I guess it is a common strategy of MG, so you can feel guilty that you ask so much (a working game) or something.

Wow, that seriously qualifies for the most ignorant post I read in quite some time.

You obviously know jack shit about game development, I worked as a 3d designer on several titles as well as television commercials and I can tell you, whenever a deadline hits everybody is on edge. Not to mention the shamelessly low wages being paid, lack of computing power, long days without weekends come crunch time, etc, etc, etc.

kalimba
05-03-2011, 02:16 PM
Thanks Luthier...Guess wouldn't be able to relax with so much frustrating bugs
to fix before relief...;)

Just by curiosity,once the code is working ok, planning any new " hidden features" enabled for North America's release ? :rolleyes:

Salute !

Doc_uk
05-03-2011, 02:20 PM
Luthier, Is there a fix for the load-outs yet?

Flanker35M
05-03-2011, 02:24 PM
S!

Good to hear CrossFire will work and the darned fullscreen tackled, hopefully for good. Need to place an order on the 2nd 6970HD...Finally!

Neil Lowe
05-03-2011, 02:25 PM
Great news,

Thanks.

cheers, Neil :)

Mattius
05-03-2011, 02:28 PM
Better performance & optimised shadows, (Seperated for cockpit & ground.) Oh & please can you fix the radio comms.
Thanks for all your efforts.

mazex
05-03-2011, 02:32 PM

Well, you think that it was the developer (MG) that forced the release of the game in this state? Come on... I guess it was 1C that pulled the funding and gave them an ultimatum to release or ditch the project. No way MG themselves after working for years with this code would release it in this state without a big axe over their neck.

So blaming the devs for the unfinished state really will not do any good. Myself I am very happy about the honest dialog Ilya is having about their efforts of fixing the game... Especially as a developer myself that has many times been forced to release code that was not in the desired state by managers that don't understand better.

ocococ
05-03-2011, 02:35 PM
Wow, that seriously qualifies for the most ignorant post I read in quite some time.

You obviously know jack shit about game development, I worked as a 3d designer on several titles as well as television commercials and I can tell you, whenever a deadline hits everybody is on edge. Not to mention the shamelessly low wages being paid, lack of computing power, long days without weekends come crunch time, etc, etc, etc.

Every job has it's difficulties, but what are you trying to say anyway? Did I say that this job is easy or something?

My point is that you don't have to cry to the customers themselves. He can go cry about how exhausted he is, to his wife/parents/friends/boss/whatever. Not us.

We are here for the game itself, not for the "the-making-of-an-unfinished-game documentary".

W0ef
05-03-2011, 02:42 PM
Every job has it's difficulties, but what are you trying to say anyway? Did I say that this job is easy or something?

My point is that you don't have to cry to the customers themselves. He can go cry about how exhausted he is, to his wife/parents/friends/boss/whatever. Not us.

We are here for the game itself, not for the "the-making-of-an-unfinished-game documentary".

Your spoilt, self-righteous tone is utterly annoying in itself but I will bite once more.

Where is he crying? He just said they didn´t take a holiday but decided to work on getting stuff finished. I think you should at least applaud the fact these developers try to stay in touch with their buyers by communicating on what they are working. Most don´t even bother about stuff like that.

This game sure isn´t finished yet and has a lot of work to be done, and I think we all know by now it has been released in an unfinished state, be it the fault of UBI or 1C I don´t know and don´t care to be honest. There has been heaps of improvements the past weeks and I´m sure they will keep on coming in the future.

Peace out.

KG26_Alpha
05-03-2011, 02:48 PM
Could we also get more information on mission scripting. Seems there are wonderfull possibilities, but without documentation it's hard to figure them out.

Luthier, Is there a fix for the load-outs yet?

Better performance & optimised shadows, (Seperated for cockpit & ground.) Oh & please can you fix the radio comms.
Thanks for all your efforts.

Let them fix the basic stuff first.

There's loads of things that need fixing/manuals/tutorials for etc etc.

The FMB especially needs attention.

BUT

One step at a time.

And the rest of you guys arguing about nothing............give it a rest before you ALL get one.

Redroach
05-03-2011, 03:02 PM
Yeah, fullscreen mode is cool and everything, but... what I'm way more concerned about are the bugs that impair or even kill gameplay for me, and certainly for some other people as well.
What I'm talking about is the non-functioning radio commands, non-functioning loadout/aircraft customization and severely flawed FMs, at least with the hurricane. Some people might get around these easily and have fun anyway, but I...just... can't. That's why CoD is on hibernation for me right now and it won't come out again until Gameplay is fixed. Don't get me wrong, I WANT to play CoD (that's why I bought it), but I just can't overlook these issues, they are just game-breaking.
So, why do new things get so much priority over these issues, which were there from the start? Honestly, I think performance generally improved to a point where it is acceptable for most people and I can't, I just can't comprehend why fiddling around with subtle new features gets supreme priority. It's not that that Fullscreen-Mode is a major performance-increasing feature, is it?
When it has to be to new features, please consider features that improve gameplay... the pre-flight briefing was a step in the right direction, though obviously still in a rudimentary state as well.

That said, I appreciate your hard work... but reconsider priorities, please :(

drive-by-pilot
05-03-2011, 03:11 PM
Ladies and Gents,

Thank you anyway

**edit, just read the above post by Charvel, think your wrong mate, but that is my opinion, not being a fanboy, just a human being**

too much money at stake with the pending western release. there will be time to rest later

pupo162
05-03-2011, 03:12 PM
Yeah, fullscreen mode is cool and everything, but... what I'm way more concerned about are the bugs that impair or even kill gameplay for me, and certainly for some other people as well.
What I'm talking about is the non-functioning radio commands, non-functioning loadout/aircraft customization and severely flawed FMs, at least with the hurricane. Some people might get around these easily and have fun anyway, but I...just... can't. That's why CoD is on hibernation for me right now and it won't come out again until Gameplay is fixed. Don't get me wrong, I WANT to play CoD (that's why I bought it), but I just can't overlook these issues, they are just game-breaking.
So, why do new things get so much priority over these issues, which were there from the start? Honestly, I think performance generally improved to a point where it is acceptable for most people and I can't, I just can't comprehend why fiddling around with subtle new features gets supreme priority. It's not that that Fullscreen-Mode is a major performance-increasing feature, is it?
When it has to be to new features, please consider features that improve gameplay... the pre-flight briefing was a step in the right direction, though obviously still in a rudimentary state as well.

Fullscrene is bugged into unplaybility. you heard Luhtier, its the last step into a stable framerate game.

CharveL
05-03-2011, 03:19 PM
CarveL, while I usually apreciate your contributions, the only thing that pisses me off more than ass kissing is people that don’t know the difference between ass kissing and being nice to people. So just in this particular case, why don’t you bugger off and leave us fanbois to our grovelling.

That said, thanks to the whole team for dedication above and beyond the call of duty! ~S~

Well I guess the only difference here is that I don't let much of anything here piss me off, and I don't really make the distinction between ass-kissing and being nice, only the uselessness of hundreds of posts with silly suggestions to the devs on what they should or shouldn't do with their personal lives. That's all.

So by all means grovel away!

jamesdietz
05-03-2011, 03:20 PM
I really like the whole look of the sime- I really want it to be the best...but I have all the familiar problems; CTDs Freezes, inability to access memory slow FPS & functions that don't seem to work...plus small game content & so-so maps...but I remain patient...besides I have a fully functioning beautuifully modded version of Il-2 that works perfectly!

Skiiwa
05-03-2011, 03:24 PM
Thanks ya'll!

Meusli
05-03-2011, 03:25 PM
I really hope we get crossfire tomorrow as I have not been able to play this sim yet. Thanks for the heads up Luthier and good luck.

dbr1
05-03-2011, 03:47 PM
Keep it up Luthier.

Prove all the doubters, the haters, the negativists wrong.

I am following this process from its start: from the games release and all of the hurdles faced since then. It is entertaining in its own right, kind of a story of adversity, perseverance and I believe it will end in great success.

LcSummers
05-03-2011, 03:51 PM
Wow Luthier,

its an unexpected move! Its really surprising me but the news are really great. Maybe tomorrow a new patch? WOWOWOWOWOWOOWO!!!

I must cool down.

Thanks for you Luthier and the whole dev team for your hard work.;)

esmiol
05-03-2011, 03:51 PM

Priorities are good. first optimisation...after bugs and after add improvement of gameplay and replacement of placeholder! priorities are only different for some people who have already a playable game... for people with a not playable game ... priorities are different.

Rattlehead
05-03-2011, 03:54 PM
If CoD was beta, I would be happy. CoD was released (and still is) experimental/pre-alpha. Never in my life I have seen so bad release.

Four posts and all you've done so far is whine. Negative much?

Jughead Jones
05-03-2011, 04:04 PM
Thanks for putting in all the hard work developers. Keep those updates comin! :grin:

baronWastelan
05-03-2011, 04:05 PM
Great to hear from Ilya! I was worried he had taken all the proceeds and moved to Mexico as a fugitive!

Insuber
05-03-2011, 04:07 PM
Now that's what I call a meaningful and relevant post, although it might defeat the clever purpose of your ulterior motives in that I usually have internet access on holidays.

Just a joke mate, no "ulterior motives", I respect your opinion ! ;)

15.Span_Valalo
05-03-2011, 04:08 PM
Luthier, you and your team will take the glory... good news...

...suport SLI.... uuhhhm...

=XIII=Shea
05-03-2011, 04:31 PM
Luthier will the problem with the blue stripes be sorted out with ATI users?or is it a problem with the drivers from ati themselves?

Redroach
05-03-2011, 04:34 PM
Priorities are good. first optimisation...after bugs and after add improvement of gameplay and replacement of placeholder! priorities are only different for some people who have already a playable game... for people with a not playable game ... priorities are different.

hmm I'd thought that FS-Mode is just a minor feature, bringing a slight performance increase with it.
Whatever, if it needs to be done, then so be it. As I have no problems with crashes, low FPS whatsoever, it's just that the issues I mentioned before are MY personal game-breakers.
Well, then CoD will just be shelved for some more time. Paradoxically, Il-2 1946 with its possibilities covering the whole war is CoD's own nemesis for now ;)

Lensman_1
05-03-2011, 04:34 PM
Luthier, firstly your team is rapidly making up for the early disappointments and it's impressive to see the speed that it's happening. Secondly the regular informative and well written updates that you're providing are REALLY helpful in keeping your consumers (and beta testers) contented. Seriously, the regular feedback from your team is invaluable and just what's required.
Thanks
Phil

alexei1789
05-03-2011, 04:35 PM
waouw, this is a brave... or crazy decision :) You guys deserve a good rest once the main trouble are fixed.
I really appreciate this hard work on optimization as i have an mid-aged computer
Keep on the good work and thank you so much !!!

Boogz
05-03-2011, 04:37 PM
Damn, your dedication to this game is truly impressive, great times ahead.

Plt Off JRB Meaker
05-03-2011, 04:37 PM
Ladies and Gents,

Thank you anyway

Could'nt have put it any better myself,I totally agree kristorf,this is a game,nothing more,the issues are being dealt with,guys take your rest.

Charvel I think you need a holiday too,you're mindset is all wrong mate,from the adults amongst us,Luthier we appreciate all your hard work,thank you.

jf1981
05-03-2011, 04:39 PM
Hi,

Thanks for your work. It's really amazing to have devs at harm's lengh as we say in French (it means close from us).

By the way, I'm now training and learing to flight. CoD is definitely much more difficult and that's good.

Regards,

J-F

Bobb4
05-03-2011, 04:56 PM
Great news guys and if you happened to have a cure for the ATI blue rings, even better :)

Norseman
05-03-2011, 05:03 PM
You and You`r team are making history here :)
Thanks alot !

~S~

Rocka
05-03-2011, 05:25 PM
Gr.. new. gu..! As your wingman woud say it in the game over the radio, or Great News Guys! As I would say it! ;)

Froddi
05-03-2011, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the update. S!

ATAG_Doc
05-03-2011, 05:29 PM
Great job of communicating to the masses of your progress and plans. Thanks for all your wonderful support.

Dave3317
05-03-2011, 05:46 PM
Any news on getting the comms/radio working?

Troll2k
05-03-2011, 06:04 PM
Here is hoping that some time opens up for a vacation after the North American version goes gold.

Damn.There always seems to be another deadline.

ivo
05-03-2011, 06:25 PM
Many thank Luthier,;););) and what about the performance of the Spitfire?
Do you known when it is going to correct?:rolleyes:

kalimba
05-03-2011, 06:40 PM
Hi everyone,

Quick update from up here on the flight deck.

We never in a million years thought that this darn full screen mode could give us so much trouble. It's the last thing standing between us and fluid framerate, and what seemed like a simple feature is taking forever to make.

Today was another day when in the morning we thought we were almost there, but as dusk approaches the realization sets in. We need another day.

The good news is that in the meantime we ironed out both Crossfire and SLI support and generally did a lot of other good things to the game. Rest assured that this one persistent full screen issue is not preventing us from improving the game in other ways and proceeding with the plan.

As we approach event horizon with the patch, we may or may not decide to release it as yet another beta version. SLI and Crossfire support are kind a big thing. We'll think it over some more.

I'll be back again tomorrow with a progress report, and hopefully with a patch!

That is good news indeed....They are not only fixing broken things...:rolleyes:

Salute !

CharveL
05-03-2011, 06:40 PM
Could'nt have put it any better myself,I totally agree kristorf,this is a game,nothing more,the issues are being dealt with,guys take your rest.

Charvel I think you need a holiday too,you're mindset is all wrong mate,from the adults amongst us,Luthier we appreciate all your hard work,thank you.

Hey don't read too much into it! I have a lot of appreciation for their work and take this forum with a rather large grain of salt. If you want some context, take a look at my posts to date and you'll find they are positive and supportive. I just can't help but roll my eyes at these concerned posts for the dev's health like any of us have any real perspective on their personal lives and what they should do with it.

A simple thanks for their efforts and good wishes is good enough (although hardly necessary to do every single time Luthier posts something) to give them a warm fuzzy feeling. Just let them sort out their own time schedules and personal health like normal adults can on their own, as if an anonymous internet post is going to be taken as relevant advice, lol.

bongodriver
05-03-2011, 06:52 PM
Hey don't read too much into it! I have a lot of appreciation for their work and take this forum with a rather large grain of salt. If you want some context, take a look at my posts to date and you'll find they are positive and supportive. I just can't help but roll my eyes at these concerned posts for the dev's health like any of us have any real perspective on their personal lives and what they should do with it.

A simple thanks for their efforts and good wishes is good enough (although hardly necessary to do every single time Luthier posts something) to give them a warm fuzzy feeling. Just let them sort out their own time schedules and personal health like normal adults can on their own, as if an anonymous internet post is going to be taken as relevant advice, lol.

While I do appreciate the sentiment of your posts and sort of agree, I think perhaps it just wasn't worth taking the time to make the oppinion felt, it is after all exactly the same thing you are doing......telling other people what they should do?

warbirds
05-03-2011, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the update, communication is everything. As for all the kids that come here just to whine and troll,,you really think the devs read your stuff?

jcenzano
05-03-2011, 07:37 PM
THANK YOU. Sorry to hear about your and your team´s hollidays. I really appreciate and respect the effort.

Towarisch
05-03-2011, 08:01 PM
Hello Luthier and Team.

THHHHAAAAAANNNK you so much for your hard work. And also to the Team. Sometimes are the little things in our life the hardest;) But ...... one time more......Thank you:) and dont let your heads hang on;)

Your work will never be ending, because this is the greatest Sim ever:cool:

Good Luck for your Work and toi,toi,toi:):):)

With love regards from Germany

Towarisch

PS: ....sry for my school english:rolleyes:

Ploughman
05-03-2011, 08:13 PM
Hey thanks for taking time from your vacations. What is the issue with full screen? I thought I'd been playing it full screen for the last few weeks anyway.

Conte Zero
05-03-2011, 08:20 PM
You are a super team. Thank you all.

jippy13
05-03-2011, 08:23 PM
Hi Luthier,

Your regular statements about the evolution of patches of the game reassure me, as they probably reassure the "Fellowship of COD". Even if sometimes you mention big technical problems that your team meet in the finishing of the game.

Anyway, I appreciate your honesty and your transparency in a difficult period for your team and you.

Keep on this way!! Hold on!! At the end, your sacrifices will be worthwhile because the game will be the best fsim for the next 10 years.

Thank you Luthier
La fin justifie les moyens

palker4
05-03-2011, 08:31 PM
Cool looking forward to it although i feel kind of sad for people not getting they holidays.

MegOhm
05-03-2011, 08:31 PM
Thanks for burning the midnight oil. Does this mean I will have to come up with another set of settings to make it fly again?

Intel Core i7-980X Extreme(12MB L2 Cache, 3.33GHz), 12GB DDR3 SDRAM,1333MHZ, 6x2GB, ATI Radeon HD5970, Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium, 2TB Serial ATA 2 Hard Drive 7200 RPM, Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit, 52" Panasonic Plasma, Logitech G930 wireless Surround Sound Headset, TrackIR5/ProClip, (TM H.O.T.A.S WartHog, Pedals on order!)

Capt Backasswards
05-03-2011, 09:18 PM
"As we approach event horizon with the patch..." Hey! That's pretty good. :)

Keep up the good work guys! And thanks.

Rick

GopherStibble
05-03-2011, 09:59 PM
"Only a game"? Actually, it is their livelihood. There is a limited time to get this game up to scratch. If it doesn't sell enough copies to prove to the bean counters that it is a money maker it will get cut. No Korea, no Med and so on. I'd have thought that at this stage there is a real danger of that. None of us want that. So, work yourselves to just this side of death guys. :-P
Good sales will be a wonderful tonic for your recovery.

Col.Flanders
05-03-2011, 10:30 PM
Excellent! Looking forward to improvements. :)

Blakduk
05-03-2011, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the efforts guys- I hope you don't overdo the caffeine and get yourselves into too much of a panic with your deadlines.
The CoD adventure continues...

Avala
05-03-2011, 11:32 PM
DAMN!!

Bloody Mercedes needs four (4) wheel to be able to drive!

You know, in the normal game world, games runs in full screen for ages now. And that is normal.

So, I will not say nice "bravooo". I will say "what, your game can't run in full screen in the year of 2011!?"

http://www.cosgan.de/smiliegenerator/ablage/768/218.png

Sven
05-03-2011, 11:41 PM
DAMN!!

So, I will not say nice "bravooo". I will say "what, your game can't run in full screen in the year of 2011!?"

Well apparently this game and it´s being fixed soon, and they cancelled holidays because of it, so I think they know its a serious issue.

HurricaneDriver
05-03-2011, 11:43 PM
DAMN!!

You know, in the normal game world, games runs in full screen for ages now. And that is normal.

Everyone deserves their opinion, but :roll:

Thanks for your hard work, guys. This diamond in the rough is just starting to shine.

kakkola
05-04-2011, 12:13 AM
+1 for Avala

esmiol
05-04-2011, 12:36 AM
in fact anyone can say what he think.... but really ANYONE :-)

Skoshi Tiger
05-04-2011, 12:40 AM
thanks for your hard work, guys. This diamond in the rough is just starting to shine.

+1

+1 for avala

Stanger
05-04-2011, 12:46 AM
DAMN!!

That is an interesting perspective about no fullscreen. It does sound a little screwey all those years making this and no fullscreen.

esmiol
05-04-2011, 12:47 AM

-1000000 for avala :)

but finaly no...i won't feed the troll :)

+10 for the futur patch and SLI support coming :)

Tiger27
05-04-2011, 01:46 AM

What are you on about, I cant remember Oleg crying about Il2 and Luthier is just explaining that they scrapped there holidays to try and solve some issues.

Only person that sounds like they are crying (whinging) is you.

Malk
05-04-2011, 01:50 AM
Hey thanks for taking time from your vacations. What is the issue with full screen? I thought I'd been playing it full screen for the last few weeks anyway.

Yeah i dont get it either, i also been playing in fullscreen without any problems, or am i missing something?

On a sidenote: What does "!S" mean?
I see alot of people starting or ending their posts with it?

Tiger27
05-04-2011, 01:59 AM
DAMN!!

Im not sure about that, some things are not as simple as they seem.

Mercedes-Benz Life-Jet
http://images.businessweek.com/ss/06/01/3_wheel_cars/image/benz_lifejet.jpg

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/06/01/3_wheel_cars/source/3.htm

BadAim
05-04-2011, 02:05 AM
Yeah i dont get it either, i also been playing in fullscreen without any problems, or am i missing something?

Of course you can play in full screen, the issue is that CloD performs better in windowed mode and there seems to be some other issues with full screen, but I don't have the patience to wade through all the sniveling to find them. The real problem is all the arrogant know it all twits who have to constantly bitch about every freaking bug like it's the end of the world instead of saying their piece and being done with it like a man.

/rant Sorry mate, just venting. !S or ~S~ or any of several variants thereof, is forum/chat shorthand for "Salute"

Tiger27
05-04-2011, 02:13 AM

Still whinging? do you ever stop, why not take your own suggestion and cry to your wife/parents/friends/boss/whatever. Not us.

You do realise that you are not obliged to read these posts or even visit this forum, there is something about your posting style that is quite annoying, I do agree that every job has it's difficulties but I cant see anywhere that Ilya is crying, all he is doing is letting us know that they are still working on some issues and there is a possibility of a patch in the next few days, it's called keeping your customers up to date.

Thee_oddball
05-04-2011, 02:17 AM
The biggest one by far is garbage. the .net garbage collector on windows does a fantastic job, and you can get away without baby sitting it for the most part. On the xbox/winPhone7 thats a different matter. If you get stalls every few frames, garbage collection might be causing you problems. At the moment it triggers after every 1mb allocation.

Heres some tips for dealing with garbage. You shouldn't have to worry about most of these in reality, but they may come in handy one day.

* Draw the contents of GC.GetTotalMemory() to the screen. This gives you an approximation of the ammount of allocated bytes your game uses. If it hardly moves, your doing ok. If its going up fast, you have issues.
* try to allocate all your heap objects up front. If you do allocate eveything before the game starts, everytime you hit a meg of allocations, your going to stall. No allocations, no collections. as simple as that.
* After loading, call GC.Collect(). If you know most of your big allocations are out the way, its only nice to let the system know.
* DO NOT CALL GC.Collect() every frame. It might seem like a good idea, keeping on top of your garbage and all that, but remember the only with worse than a garbage collection is over garbage collection.
* Look for where your garbage is coming from. There are some common causes like concatnating strings instead of useing StringBuilder (bewhere, StringBuilder isnt a magic bullet, and can still cause allocations!. This means simple operations like adding a number to the end of a string can create surprising amounts of garbage.) or using foreach loops over collections that use the IEnumerable interface can also create garbage without you knowing (for eaxmple, foreach (EffectPass pass in effect.CurrentTechnique.Passes) is a common one)
* Use tools like the CLR memory profiler to figure out where memory is being allocated. There are loads of tutorials out there on how to use this tool.
* When you know where your allocating during gameplay, see if you can use tricks like pooling objects to lower that allocation count.
* If all else fails, make your collections run faster! The GC on the compact framework follows evey reference in your code to figure out what objects are not in use anymore. Refactor your code use less references!
* Remember to use IDisposable on classes that contain unmanaged resources. You can use these to clean up memory the GC cannot free up itself.

Am i close Luthier? :) is this game programed in C# entirely?

Thee_oddball
05-04-2011, 02:19 AM

S!=Salute

Robert
05-04-2011, 04:01 AM

Yeah. I do know Maddox Games. They're the developers that made a sim that many many people enjoyed and still are enjoying going on ten years. Now what have you done to be recognized..... beside whine?

That' will be enough outta you little boy. You're embarrassing yourself but you're just to dull to know it.

Winger
05-04-2011, 06:59 AM
DAMN!!

Then why dont you just go away and play one of this games instead of trolling around here talking crap?

Winger

Volture
05-04-2011, 07:09 AM
Thank you luthier and all team,

Courage to all of you
we appreciate your hard working to make us happy

Always by your side......wherever you need

A huge thanks again

mcdaniels
05-04-2011, 07:13 AM
Hello,
I can understand, that someone is angry about buying a game (sim) that didn't work til you patch it, or it get patched.

But the big difference is, that 1C is really working hard to resolve issues AND they are in tight contact with the customers. So support is very good. I know other situations where games were left for dead. (thinking of SH5... and also SH4)

I ve bought CoD on initial release and paid 59,- (Euro) for it. Nowadays it is sold for 29,- (Euro) @ Amazon. I don't bother about it, because the sim is great and the support too!

On the other handside, think about how many developers/companies spent time to realize a real good flightsim today? I think you can count these devs on one hand?

So stop whining and keep cool, luthier and his team are on the 'six o' clock' of CoD doing a great job!

carguy_
05-04-2011, 08:17 AM
Luthier and team, thanks for the update.
I`m sorry to hear you postponed your free from work days but I respect the decision. I think it all boils down to the US premiere in the end. As you surely know, the most important thing now is consistency and the end result, not intensity. It really doesn`t make a difference for me if you get it done in two days, two weeks or two months. I would simply like to know that those patches are coming as I am willing to wait another few months to get a polished game.

Anyways, the Steam client seems not to have the features that promote good multiplayer. I`d think we need Jiri and others to build the multiplayer scene for this game, as coop missions are the core of it. But for now, lets just make sure the game plays fine at medium settings, on a PC fit with the recommended system specs.

The real problem is all the arrogant know it all twits who have to constantly bitch about every freaking bug like it's the end of the world instead of saying their piece and being done with it like a man.

I disagree in part. It is not worth getting all worked about those idiots. One shouldn`t have any good words for people who don`t show any respect for the hard working hence there really should be no such posts here on the forum as they are worthless. Such a person presents no personal value but always tries to dominish others` and as such deserves only to be ignored or banned.

krawallhippie
05-04-2011, 08:30 AM
I bought that game immediately after the release and - although I have a decent computer (coreI7 980x, quadro 4000, 12GB ram, SSD) I still have trouble playing it fluently, even in lower resolutions. Thus I decided to wait for further patches.

I have to say I was a bit disappointed in the beginning BUT I still do not regret buying this game and supporting you guys.
I see the efforts and dedication that is put into this game - from someone who's loving this as much as we do. I am confident that we will receive a brilliant game that will keep us happy for the next years to come:)

This has soooo much potential so it's worth waiting a while.
Thanks for the support, thumbs up!

F19_lacrits
05-04-2011, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the update info Luthier! Much appriciated!

I'm sorry you didn't take leave though, I think re-charging and taking mental time off is good for the individual.. So, don't forget the value of RnR!

GopherStibble
05-04-2011, 10:51 AM
All those who love the game and want the support to continue should buy it again.
Some of you have children so sell them and buy lots of copies.
After all, you can always make more children but there will be no more complex WW2 simulators if this fails.
Seriously, some of you have pets. Sell them to cosmetic companies to test their products on.
And buy more copies of the game.
They will be more puppies/kitties/bunny-wuns but no more good simulators.
You think I'm trolling or kidding but I'm not.
I want this game to reach its potential but that is going to take money.
Kind words are like summer flowers... here one day but gone the next, whereas cold, hard cash is like, well.... there is nothing like cold, hard cash so quit the arse kissing and get buying.

Granny has her 90th birthday coming up?
Buy her the game! Going to a funeral?
What better consolation for the loss of a loved one than COD!! (Or at least the potential game we all know it can be).
Your nephew's Bris?
A death of Bin Laden commemorative gift?
Come on! The possibilities are endless!
Just effing buy copies and copies.
Luthier and Co. are essential decent chaps, aka vetches, even if Luthier never produced the special plankton simulator version of Pacific Fighters that he promised me, and will continue to provide support.
They have a track record, even if Oleg has gone all Trotsky... They just need money to feed the monkey, man! You know it makes sense.

As does drinking lots of rum. Yum.

:cool:

Malk
05-04-2011, 11:33 AM
Of course you can play in full screen, the issue is that CloD performs better in windowed mode and there seems to be some other issues with full screen, but I don't have the patience to wade through all the sniveling to find them. The real problem is all the arrogant know it all twits who have to constantly bitch about every freaking bug like it's the end of the world instead of saying their piece and being done with it like a man.

/rant Sorry mate, just venting. !S or ~S~ or any of several variants thereof, is forum/chat shorthand for "Salute"

Ahh i see :)
Thanks for explaining this to a newbie on this forum and in non arcade flight sim´s in general :)

I totally agree with your viewpoint, allthough CloD propably has a bit more bugs than other games shortly after release i dont get how people seem to forget that any game (especially in this genre) is a work in progress, didnt IL-2 1946 have issues at the beginning?
Didnt they fix and improve the game vastly during the next many years?

Give them a break guys, they WILL fix the issues that are haunting this otherwise EXCELLENT game, i simply flat out refuse to believe that they will abandon this title and continue making new content and improving the existing content just as theyve done with IL-2 1946.

Rattlehead
05-04-2011, 11:47 AM
All those who love the game and want the support to continue should buy it again. Some of you have children so sell them and buy lots of copies. After all, you can always make more children but there will be no more complex WW2 simulators if this fails. Seriously, some of you have pets. Sell them to cosmetic companies to test their products on. And buy more copies of the game. They will be more puppies/kitties/bunny-wuns but no more good simulators. You think I'm trolling or kidding but I'm not. I want this game to reach its potential but that is going to take money. Kind words are like summer flowers... here one day but gone the next, whereas cold, hard cash is like, well.... there is nothing like cold, hard cash so quit the arse kissing and get buying. Granny has her 90th birthday coming up? Buy her the game! Going to a funeral? What better consolation for the loss of a loved one than COD!! (Or at least the potential game we all know it can be). Your nephew's Bris? A death of Bin Laden commemorative gift? Come on! The possibilities are endless! Just effing buy copies and copies. Luthier and Co. are essential decent chaps, aka vetches, even if Luthier never produced the special plankton simulator version of Pacific Fighters that he promised me, and will continue to provide support. They have a track record, even if Oleg has gone all Trotsky... They just need money to feed the monkey, man! You know it makes sense.

As does drinking lots of rum. Yum.

:cool:

Well, I don't have kids and nobody would want my old mutt, but I have been considering selling myself on street corners and buying copies of CoD with the proceeds, to distribute to the needy.
Fair enough?

Komrad
05-04-2011, 11:52 AM
Ahh i see :)
Thanks for explaining this to a newbie on this forum and in non arcade flight sim´s in general :)

I totally agree with your viewpoint, allthough CloD propably has a bit more bugs than other games shortly after release i dont get how people seem to forget that any game (especially in this genre) is a work in progress, didnt IL-2 1946 have issues at the beginning?
Didnt they fix and improve the game vastly during the next many years?

Give them a break guys, they WILL fix the issues that are haunting this otherwise EXCELLENT game, i simply flat out refuse to believe that they will abandon this title and continue making new content and improving the existing content just as theyve done with IL-2 1946.

The reason people are doubting the eventual outcome of this sim is the way it was released. When you deceive people in the fashion that good honest buyers were deceived then you need to regain trust before people will start believing in you again.

In other words show some respect and you get some in return. Asking people to buy a game at full price before it was ready is not showing respect, it's as simple as that.

Komrad.

JumpingHubert
05-04-2011, 12:12 PM
Then why dont you just go away and play one of this games instead of trolling around here talking crap?

Winger
i think avala isn´t a troll or something like that. He made great mods for IL2. ;)

FG28_Kodiak
05-04-2011, 12:40 PM
And who makes the game he makes mods for?

HurricaneDriver
05-04-2011, 01:01 PM
I reckon this is just a question of respect and a need for patience. The devil is in the detail and there's always something new and intriguing I find every time I play this sim. There are many issues but they'll be worked out. I hate the whingeing too, but let's keep the community friendly.

kakkola
05-04-2011, 01:21 PM
After 4-5?patches the game still performing like my old fiat 500:)
I bought the russian version for 14 dollars and I`ll buy the other version in maybe 6 months,no beta testing,i just want to fly it
Oh well,i`m sure is going to be better,for now back to il2 1946;)

Phenom2 x4 3.4 ghz 8 gig ram
Gtx 570 1280 MB
win 7 64(performs a little bit better)
win xp sp3(kinda messy)

HurricaneDriver
05-04-2011, 01:35 PM
Well I bought the Collectors' Edition here in Australia for $120, and I still think it's money well spent to support the devs. It's so bloody silly that it's been released at such an unfinished stage, but what can you do? ROF is a good distraction....

kakkola
05-04-2011, 01:38 PM
Money well spent for a playable game for a beta!!

HurricaneDriver
05-04-2011, 01:43 PM
Well it works well on the i7 rig I built just for COD.

kakkola
05-04-2011, 01:47 PM
ROF is a good distraction....
+10

KG26_Alpha
05-04-2011, 01:49 PM
Ok you were warned back on page 4-5

You cant stop yourselves from constantly moaning and arguing so a short holiday will help.

BigPickle
05-04-2011, 02:07 PM
All those who love the game and want the support to continue should buy it again.
Some of you have children so sell them and buy lots of copies.
After all, you can always make more children but there will be no more complex WW2 simulators if this fails.

:grin: Legendary :grin:

You've just earned yourself number 1 spot on bigpickle's first Quote sig :grin:

HurricaneDriver
05-04-2011, 02:12 PM
...Or you could invest in the hardware needed to run this sim?

Lololopoulos
05-04-2011, 02:26 PM

will WOP2 take over the stage for realistic wwii flight sim?

HurricaneDriver
05-04-2011, 02:38 PM
will WOP2 take over the stage for realistic wwii flight sim?

Yes, if you like flying from local 2011 airfields with no actual 1940 air combat.

gflinch
05-04-2011, 04:03 PM

This reminds me of a Wherner Von Braun Quote:

“Man is the best computer we can put aboard a spacecraft, and the only one that can be mass produced with unskilled labor”

Love it.

Bpdslayer
05-04-2011, 04:31 PM
Thanks Luthier and gang for the hardwork!

Kankkis
05-04-2011, 04:57 PM
Thanks Luthier and gang for the hardwork!

Yeah, but looks like D-day is not today, maybe tomorrow then?

mcdaniels
05-04-2011, 05:09 PM
Just installed Win764Bit and bought another 4 Gig of Ram to have all in all 8 Gig for the game, because it ran out auf memory on my 32 Bit Win7 :-)

Waiting to enjoy the patch, ähm pardon, the game with the new patch ;)

15JG52_Brauer
05-04-2011, 05:46 PM
It's here http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=22505

dgeorge04
05-04-2011, 05:47 PM
Thank you..keep up the good work!!

danjama
05-04-2011, 10:45 PM
Cheers Luthier.

CherokeeFreedom
05-05-2011, 12:48 AM
It encourages me to read of the steady string of fixes either in development or released in beta patches. I'm looking forward to the North American release!! Thanks, 1C team! Hang in there.

Theshark888
05-05-2011, 02:17 AM
too much money at stake with the pending western release. there will be time to rest later
+1

Tiger27
05-05-2011, 02:29 AM
ROF is a good distraction....
+10

It sure is, which is why I am confident that in time we will be just as happy with CoD, ROF at release was just about as big a disaster as CoD at release, no MP, game barely worked on my PC etc etc. A year or so later it works smoothly MP is not too bad, although more online would be nice and overall it has improved immensly.

Eckhart
05-05-2011, 04:05 AM
Black Death trk test:

Frames Time (ms) Min Max Avg
3341 150000 3 46 22.273

Improved compared with IL2COD_14305 but still below what I got with IL2COD_14214 or the official patch.

All three GPUs fire but are not as fully loaded as before (around 40 percent each).

Most annoying problem: huge stutter with a stall every three seconds. This ends up with a complete stall during the Black Death track (consistently a few seconds after the ackack starts to fire ...)

video settings: see attached picture (except texture which was put to medium)

Conclusion: some progress but unfortunately not playable because of frame stall problem (memory overload?)

Cheers,

Eckhart

Ps: there should be a sticky black death testing thread for beta patches in order to help devs with constructive posts and not the usual rants