PDA

View Full Version : buy it via Steam or DVD Rom?

aidor
05-03-2011, 11:12 AM
Hi Everybody!

I'm new, :)

First of all, sorry for my poor english speak... I''m from Spain.

So.. I want to buy the game, and I don't know if buying it via Steam or in a store (the collector edition DVD Rom). I prefer the DVD rom option, but I don't want to play with the DVD in the drive, and I don't want to be connected to internet all the time I want to play. It's possible playing "off line" and without the DVD rom in the drive?

Another point is the updates... If I buy the DVD rom version, I just need to install the last patch (27 april) or I need to install all the previous patchs?

The last question is this: I will install the game in my current C: drive. I'll need to install it in the Steam folder or assosiated to my Steam account? That's because in a couple of weeks I'll buy a SSD drive. Will I have any problem to install the game in two diferent drives simultaneously?

My hardware: i5 2500K + 4GB RAM + GTX 570... I hope it will performe decent FPS... it will?

Thanks! :)

David198502
05-03-2011, 11:23 AM
you dont need the dvd in the harddrive to play it.and it is possible to play offline.
the last official patch was april 18th i think and it will download that patch automatically.
the betapatches are not installed automatically,so you will have to do it by yourself.but you only need to install the latest beta patch.

Rattlehead
05-03-2011, 11:30 AM
Hi Everybody!

I'm new, :)

First of all, sorry for my poor english speak... I''m from Spain.

So.. I want to buy the game, and I don't know if buying it via Steam or in a store (the collector edition DVD Rom). I prefer the DVD rom option, but I don't want to play with the DVD in the drive, and I don't want to be connected to internet all the time I want to play. It's possible playing "off line" and without the DVD rom in the drive?

Another point is the updates... If I buy the DVD rom version, I just need to install the last patch (27 april) or I need to install all the previous patchs?

The last question is this: I will install the game in my current C: drive. I'll need to install it in the Steam folder or assosiated to my Steam account? That's because in a couple of weeks I'll buy a SSD drive. Will I have any problem to install the game in two diferent drives simultaneously?

My hardware: i5 2500K + 4GB RAM + GTX 570... I hope it will performe decent FPS... it will?

Thanks! :)

It's possible to play offline without the DVD in the tray. I do it all the time.

Steam will automatically patch you up to the latest version once the game is installed.

I'm not too sure on point three. Maybe someone can answer that?

Your system should be fine...should be. Things are a bit up in the air as far as framerates are concerned, but you have a good system that should run the game very well. (Except maybe over London and Caen.)

FAE_Cazador
05-03-2011, 11:31 AM
I don't have previous experiences with STEAM before, perhaps better read Steam's rules in their website (http://store.steampowered.com/).

IMHO If it is just a matter of a couple of weeks, I would first full install that SSD, and then buy and install the Sim.

You can find DVD Collectors Edition in Spain at "L'Aeroteca" (Barcelona) and in "Game" shops I think. Check their websites, but it is quite more expensive than the Steam version.

Bienvenido al Cliffs of Dover, Aidor. Puedes encontrar más informacion sobre él en español en nuestro foro (http://fae.mforos.com/).

¡Saludos y buena caza!

aidor
05-03-2011, 11:34 AM
Ok David, Rattlehead and FAE Cazador, thanks for the info, ;) In that case, I'm going to buy the DVD rom version. I found here in Barcelona the collector edition (64'99 euros), only 15 euros more than the Steam version. I can't see the advantage of buying the Steam version.

The last question is not solved yet, but is not a major problem:

any problem if I install the game in two diferent drives simultaneously? Well, If I have to uninstall the first installation and then install in the SSD drive, no problem with that. I'll need to install it in the Steam folder or assosiated to my Steam account?

Thanks once more! Gracias por la bienvenida y saludos... me pasare por el foro español, claro.

W0ef
05-03-2011, 12:03 PM
You can move your steamapps to another hd no problems, just some steps you have to go through to set it up properly.

This is from the Steam support site:

Moving Your Steam Installation
Warning:

It is highly recommended that you create a backup of your SteamApps folder before attempting this process. Neglecting to do so may result in a loss of all of your game content should something go wrong.

If you're low on space on the drive you have Steam installed, you can move the Steam folder to a different location. Here's an example of how to move the Steam installation between two hard drives:

1. Log out and exit Steam
2. Navigate to the folder where Steam is installed (by default: C:\Program Files\Steam\)
3. Delete all of the files and folders except the SteamApps folder and Steam.exe
4. Cut and paste your Steam folder to the new location, for example: D:\Games\Steam\
5. Launch Steam
6. Steam will briefly update and then you will be ready to play
7. All future game content will be downloaded to the new folder D:\Games\Steam\Steamapps\

Peace!

FAE_Cazador
05-03-2011, 01:16 PM
May be if you ask this question in the Steam Forum can find an answer

http://store.steampowered.com/forums/

aidor
05-03-2011, 03:04 PM
OK guys... thanks for the info about moving steam installation. I hope that this game (the DVDRom version) is not installed associated with my Steam account or in the steam folder (I want to run the games in my Steam account only the games I buy via Steam).

Well, so... if somebody knows if this game (the DVD version) runs independently to the Steam program, I'll appreciate the info. This is all because today I'm going to install the game in my HDD. In a couple of weeks I'll buy a SSD (of course, I can't wait two weeks to taste the game), and I hope there is no problem with the new installation in the SSD.

Thanks!

Anvilfolk
05-03-2011, 03:10 PM
I'm not sure and haven't installed myself, but it seems that CoD will always have to be associated with a Steam account, and use Steam itself.

I must I've used steam for almost as long as it's existed and never had problems. I personally love it - the only gripe I have with it is that you cannot install games to wherever you want. They go in the steam folder, so make sure to install steam to where you want your games to be!

FAE_Cazador
05-03-2011, 03:33 PM
Aidor, I had no STEAM games in my computer till I bought CloD. I bought a Collector Edition DVD. And the first thing it did when installing, is to force me to open a STEAM account. Then I activated it by the first time, writing a 20 characters code given with the DVD, and started to fly (offline, as at the beginning Multiplayer was so bugged to me that it was impossible to fly).

No need to have the DVD inserted, but I am afraid the Sim is linked forever to your STEAM account.

What I didn't check is what happens if I switch off my Internet connection (always on, because is a ADSL link), and check if I can play or not, but I'll try this evening.

Aidor, I suggest you to wait those 2 weeks (Oleg's Time or Standard Time?) ;) and in the meantime to study the Sim Manual and the Spitfire Pilot's Notes. You can find links to them here or even I can send them both to you. :)

Edit: STEAM also is required to keep your game up-to-date by downloading automatically the official patches needed. Also it provides a so called "VALVE" stuff wihich prevents cheating online (supposedly).

aidor
05-03-2011, 03:49 PM
Thanks Anvifolk... Well, I see... as it seems that CoD must run under the Steam program, if I want to play CoD with my new SSD, I will have to move ALL my Steam games to the SSD (Only 120 GB... thats why i dont' like my games run under Steam. I want to install them where I want. Only if a game requires fast acces, I will install it in the SSD. The other ones I want them in the HDD). Because of Steam, my SSD will be out of space in one or two days, :(

Thanks once more!

aidor
05-03-2011, 04:10 PM
Aidor, I had no STEAM games in my computer till I bought CloD. I bought a Collector Edition DVD. And the first thing it did when installing, is to force me to open a STEAM account. Then I activated it by the first time, writing a 20 characters code given with the DVD, and started to fly (offline, as at the beginning Multiplayer was so bugged to me that it was impossible to fly).

No need to have the DVD inserted, but I am afraid the Sim is linked forever to your STEAM account.

What I didn't check is what happens if I switch off my Internet connection (always on, because is a ADSL link), and check if I can play or not, but I'll try this evening.

Aidor, I suggest you to wait those 2 weeks (Oleg's Time or Standard Time?) ;) and in the meantime to study the Sim Manual and the Spitfire Pilot's Notes. You can find links to them here or even I can send them both to you. :)

Edit: STEAM also is required to keep your game up-to-date by downloading automatically the official patches needed. Also it provides a so called "VALVE" stuff wihich prevents cheating online (supposedly).

uff... esperar dos semanas no creo que pueda...

So.. "....linked forever to your STEAM account." I don't like how it sounds (when its a DVDrom version of the game).

I think I have no choice. I will have to move all my steam games to the SSD, so I think it doesn't matter if I wait a couple of weeks or not: I will have to move all my "steamapps" to the SSD if I want to play CoD installed in the SSD, even if I install it now (and then move it with all the "steamapps"), or wait a couple of weeks (install the SSD, move the Steam folder, and then install CoD). I will get the same results in both options: move all steam games= bye bye SSD space...

Well, I'll see what I'll do... thanks for all the info guys, appreciate it!

dougandtoni
05-04-2011, 09:37 AM
I use Steam Mover http://www.traynier.com/software/steammover I have Steam on a ordinary hard drive and i just shift the game i want to play over to my SSD and then you can shift it back if you want. Ask if you need help with it. Steam will still do the automatic patches to the game even if the game is on your SSD

aidor
05-04-2011, 03:45 PM
I use Steam Mover http://www.traynier.com/software/steammover I have Steam on a ordinary hard drive and i just shift the game i want to play over to my SSD and then you can shift it back if you want. Ask if you need help with it. Steam will still do the automatic patches to the game even if the game is on your SSD

Thanks Dougandtoni for the info. When I'll get my new SSD I'll take a look at that link, sure, ;)