PDA

View Full Version : Second video attempt... - Bf-110 against Blenheims (youtube vid, 1080p)

Freycinet
05-01-2011, 06:38 PM
Ok, back from the holidays, and I have been at it again...

http://www.youtube.com/user/wwwDOTdalsgaardDOTeu?feature=mhum#p/c/981CBC682E928D2A/1/wZLZiYGiCds

This time I recorded as I played (and not from a track recording) so this is exacly how I saw it. Except, of course, for the much lower video and audio quality that you get when you youtubeify your recording. The original avi-file is 14 gigs! Anyway, it still looks quite good in full-screen and at 1080p I think.

I put some turbulence into the mission. Makes for more fun and realistic gunnery, and landings are a bit more of a handful as well.

As Fearless_Frog said somewhere, attacking any plane from dead six is really not the best solution. That might be, but that's all I manage so far, so that's what you get!

Hope you like, comments very welcome! - Especially on my woeful engine management... - Any better way to get some more oomph out of the DaimlerBenz'es?

Hunden
05-01-2011, 07:10 PM
Seems like maybe you forgot to retrim elevator. Looks like everytime you would get on target your nose would pull up.

Widow17
05-01-2011, 07:30 PM
Very Nice!
Hmm as you stated your new to CLOD. Just in case you dont know already, use rudder to aim when you lined up behind a bomber. Dont roll to correct your shots, only use rudder and elevator. That way you can stabilize your gunsight better on target. Its even possible to aim at a certain engine that way.

louisv
05-01-2011, 07:36 PM
Seems like maybe you forgot to retrim elevator. Looks like everytime you would get on target your nose would pull up.

Recoil ?

Sven
05-01-2011, 07:49 PM
haha recoil. Nah he didnt trim it well, same happens in IL2 if you got too much elevator trim your revi will be bouncing all over the place when you try shooting and aiming at the same time.

Freycinet
05-01-2011, 08:06 PM
I did re-trim it to the best of my ability, but I guess not well enough... - Thx for the tip widow, I need all the help I can get! :)

Vengeanze
05-01-2011, 08:12 PM
Thanks for sharing. Nice vid.

Have to agree with Widow though - Charlie is flying straight forward so if u had aligned and used rudders you would've been able to spray left to right. :-D

Macka
05-02-2011, 02:34 AM
I did re-trim it to the best of my ability, but I guess not well enough... - Thx for the tip widow, I need all the help I can get! :)

It may not be the trimming.....you using an X52 Joystick by any chance?

Hunden
05-02-2011, 05:00 AM
It may not be the trimming.....you using an X52 Joystick by any chance?

I do and I seem to have the same issue unless I have it trimed slightly nose down. I retrim for level flight after the fight.

Freycinet
05-02-2011, 10:15 AM
nope, my joystick is an old Saitek Cyborg 3D.

moilami
05-02-2011, 11:37 AM
Awesome vid mate!!!

IL-2 CoD is the *hit and I go all :mad::mad::mad: if I don't get my TrackIR back ASAP!

Will though need a new graphics card too to get graphcis you got, but I DON'T CARE SINCE I AM HAPPY THERE IS POTENTIAL EVEN THOUGH MY COMPUTER CAN'T SHOW IT.

Someday I will have the computer for maxed graphics and it is better that way than to have a computer but not a game for it.

Just give Spanish Civil War or Winter War/Continuation War. Can't wait to get a chance to defend Helsinki and Finland! Or maybe I barely can - shooting down Tommies shall do for now :grin::grin::grin:

:cool:

Zappatime
05-02-2011, 12:16 PM
Nice vid mate, especially watching it in 1080p; I'm very interested to know did you use the in-built recorder and conversion to avi, or fraps, and if so what did you use to convert it, what codec etc for You tube?

Freycinet
05-03-2011, 09:50 PM
Thanks for all your nice comments!

I use MSI Afterburner (free proggie that works with nvidia cards, get the latest beta version) for the video capturing. Just run it in the background and turn it on when I want to film something. Afterburner creates huge avi-files which I then directly upload to youtube, which does some kind of automatic conversion that does degrade the quality quite a bit, but well, it is web video, so that makes sense I guess...

Hope that helps.

Zappatime
05-03-2011, 10:25 PM
Thanks for that info, I actually use Afterburner, but only for keeping an eye on my 480GTX temps with some of the more stressful progs, I never realised it could be used for capturing video play, cheers, you learn summat new everyday here ;)

edit: The version I have has screen capture, but I dont see video capture, is that a new additon in the latest beta versions, or have i missed something?

edit2: ah, just checked with google , it is recent - hence your comment to get latest beta!

undpilot87
05-04-2011, 02:23 AM
Ok, back from the holidays, and I have been at it again...

http://www.youtube.com/user/wwwDOTdalsgaardDOTeu?feature=mhum#p/c/981CBC682E928D2A/1/wZLZiYGiCds

This time I recorded as I played (and not from a track recording) so this is exacly how I saw it. Except, of course, for the much lower video and audio quality that you get when you youtubeify your recording. The original avi-file is 14 gigs! Anyway, it still looks quite good in full-screen and at 1080p I think.

I put some turbulence into the mission. Makes for more fun and realistic gunnery, and landings are a bit more of a handful as well.

As Fearless_Frog said somewhere, attacking any plane from dead six is really not the best solution. That might be, but that's all I manage so far, so that's what you get!

Hope you like, comments very welcome! - Especially on my woeful engine management... - Any better way to get some more oomph out of the DaimlerBenz'es?

You really look like you know what you are doing and it kind of looks like you might have had previous flight experience or just an avid simulation fan. Anyway a couple of tips... when you are in a turn you should look at your turn slip indicator... its the top middle instrument just below the sight, you want to center the ball... *think Step ON The Ball*

Also it looks like your oscillations up and down while shooting are probably from not properly trimming the aircraft. When you let go of the stick the plane should be trimmed to have the sight level with what you are trying to shoot. Use trim alot. I re-trim my aircraft quite a bit depending on what phase of flight I am in. Otherwise excellent video and excellent flying.

Frequent_Flyer
05-04-2011, 03:26 AM
nope, my joystick is an old Saitek Cyborg 3D.

Freycinet,

how did you get those nice clouds to show up in game? I have the same difficulty when aimimg, the precesion moves with the " flight stick " elude me.

Thanks in advance

Freycinet
05-04-2011, 01:13 PM
Undpilot, that's good advice, thank you!

I do try to trim the aircraft to level flight at some point, but it was a rather hurried sortie, so I don't think I got it as well as I wanted. I never really bothered with trim in any flight sim but somehow it is much more important in CoD, if you want to fly well and not bleed too much energy. I often note that I cannot catch up with a bogey, and then I trim up and catch him...

I was also told to just correct with rudder and not ailerons when shooting at the enemy and that really did help. Took some unwanted movements out of the equation and thereby simplified it.

Am working on a similar video, should be coming up soon!

Freycinet
05-04-2011, 01:14 PM
Frequentflyer, re: the clouds, I just chose the setting in the FMB where I made the mission... I don't remember the name of the setting, but it was max. clouds...

choctaw111
05-04-2011, 02:10 PM
Thanks for sharing.

mcmatt
05-04-2011, 03:09 PM
Nice Vid. And funny comments. Tnx for sharing!

Freycinet
05-05-2011, 05:59 PM
You're welcome. I am quite impressed that this vid already has about 1500 views on youtube and my previous vid, of the spitfire vs. 110's, is up to 3000 views!

Zappatime
05-05-2011, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the tip on the latest beta for Afterburner, finally a video capture prog that doesnt screw up the sound and is easy to get HD onto You Tube (despite the slow upload!).

Do you always capture at the highest quality with Afterburner, or have you tried dropping the quality down, just wondered what you thought about it?

Freycinet
05-05-2011, 10:44 PM
I capture at 75% quality, full-frame, 40 fps.

Hmmm, would it be better to go to 100% quality? - That might give a bigger avi file but mean less number-crunching work for the program... - Any thoughts?

Zappatime
05-05-2011, 11:02 PM
Well, I guess there are many permutations, which gives the best and which 'wastes' time and processing and uploading is a tricky one, I'm just glad Afterburner does a great capture job WITH sound.

I recorded a Rise of Flight quick mission which gave a a file size of 1.85Gb, that was using the MJPG compression, 85% quality, full frame @ 30 fps 1920x1200. The down side is it took 6 hours to upload to You Tube, but I wanted to see how the 1080p HD came out. I've used Fraps at full 1920x1200 screen before and converted the RAW file to AVI which was always then screwed up by You Tube either quality wise, or no audio, but often both. I could never find a codec to convert the RAW to AVI that would be ok with You Tube's compression - audio would often disappear after the upload.

Its a time consuming job, and that's with no editing!

Freycinet
05-06-2011, 08:12 AM
Just upload the pure avi that afterburner gives you, youtube takes care of the resampling.

Hey, how about a link? :)

And, yes, you make a movie and then let it upload overnight...

OK, just uploaded my third vid, will make a new thread now...

Zappatime
05-06-2011, 08:44 PM
here you go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d--Oi1E95jA

Lololopoulos
05-07-2011, 03:32 AM
those commentaries are awesome. soooo funny. i watched your video a couple of times just for the commentaries.