PDA

View Full Version : Sleep mode killing periphials

timholt
05-01-2011, 11:35 AM
I am new to Win7 and have not come across this before.
Whenever sleep mode is activated I lose most (but not all) of the use of the buttons on the CH products joystick, throttle, rudder pedals, TIR and some keystroke functions on the keyboard.
This requires a restart to get them all working again.
Is there a setting somewhere in Win7 that would be causing this or is it likely to be a hardware malfunction somewhere?
It happens on both flight sims (Rise of Flight and IL2 Cliffs of Dover) so I don't expect it is game related.
Also I have an Antec case that comes with 4 fans that don't shut down in sleep mode.
The obvious solution I guess is not to use sleep mode and just shut the computer down if it is not going to be used again for a while. It used to be that it was better to leave a computer running than starting it up more than once a day. Does this still hold true now with A SSD?

http://whrl.pl/RcJHlo
herring | anchor
Reply to this | Edit my post

huckster
05-01-2011, 12:50 PM
control panel/ power options/ change when your computer sleeps.

other than that take a look in your bios, you can change stuff in there too

Wolf_Rider
05-01-2011, 01:18 PM
go to the Device Manager and then to the USB Root Hub/ Properties and turn off the sleep functions there too. It will be labeled "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

timholt
05-01-2011, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the responses guys.
Wolf Rider I think you may have hit the nail on the head. I will try this later in the day and let you know if it works or not.

timholt
05-02-2011, 08:35 AM
Unfortunately it did not work. I think I will stop worrying about it and just not have it go to sleep mode at all. Sleep mode does not turn the 4 case fans off anyway, so it is only a partial sleep mode.
It is basically a computer for RoF and CoD and normally only gets flashed up for a daily session of a couple of hours or more.
A lap top is used for all other requirements.

Wolf_Rider
05-02-2011, 03:18 PM
sorry, I re-read your post and you mentioned (which I missed) ~ lost "some keyboard functions"... which functions?

the USB setting has worked for many others at many other forums

timholt
05-02-2011, 11:32 PM
Joystick - Elevator OK, Ailerons no go
Throttle - power OK, prop pitch no go radiator control no go
Rudder pedals - no go
Keyboard - up and down arrows used for mixture control no go. Did not try any others as most controls on joystick and throttle
Track IR tracks OK but centering button no go.
I read late last night on the MS forum that after disabling the "let" etc button to restart the computer before trying it in sleep mode again - I did not do that.
So after I have finished my retirement chores dictated by she who must be obeyed I will give that a go this afternoon.
I also noticed there were two remote hubs listed, do these need deticked as well?

Edit; this is a completely new rig just over a week old if that has any bearing on something that may not have been set up properly.

Peril
05-03-2011, 07:12 AM
I have the same CH issues, the best you can do is:

a. disable sleep mode and only go to screen saver
b. allow sleep and wake up your CH sticks in the CH control manager.

Letter from CH.

Peril,

I suggest installing the Control manager v4.51 selecting the Test/ Calibrate icon twards the middle and click on the rescan button on the next page. I hope this email has been helpful.

timholt
05-03-2011, 09:14 AM
Peril it's not just the CH gear, it affects the keyboard mixture controls, so; from my (2 posts ago) this is what I am going to stick to unless I can find a way to turn the 4 case fans off in sleep mode;

"I think I will stop worrying about it and just not have it go to sleep mode at all. Sleep mode does not turn the 4 case fans off anyway, so it is only a partial sleep mode.
It is basically a computer for RoF and CoD and normally only gets flashed up for a daily session of a couple of hours or more."

If it is not going to be used for an hour or more I will just turn the whole shebang off
My wife's lap top can be used for all other requirements.

Thank you for your response anyway.