PDA

View Full Version : I cannot turn when on the ground

Psit
04-29-2011, 01:44 PM
Hello, i am pretty new to all this ww2 fighter mumbo jumbo and i cant understand the following:

Why does my plane turn by itself, or it refuses to turn where i want it to when i am on the ground.

I did a search and some replies talk gibberish to me, can some1 explain plain and simple how i can make it work, and no i dont have rudder pedals, i just have rudder on my stick.

The planes i try to turn are the spitfires and the hurrrrrrs.

Thank you.

FG28_Kodiak
04-29-2011, 01:50 PM
Use your breakes too ;)

Psit
04-29-2011, 01:52 PM
Use your breakes too ;)

When i brake it just stops. Also left / right brakes doesnt work , only the main ones.

:(

FG28_Kodiak
04-29-2011, 02:10 PM
Give more Power to the engine, brake and then rudder in the direction, you wish. Works good for me.

Do you have assign the rudder Axis correctly?

whoarmongar
04-29-2011, 03:02 PM
Depends what plane your using as to how the brakes work. If its a RAF fighter just tap the brake and use your rudder . If its Luftwaffe use individual wheel brakes . Remember the slower your moving the less effect the rudder has .

Psit
04-29-2011, 03:52 PM
Thank you all for the replies, i am going to try this as soon as possible.

Seeker
04-29-2011, 03:58 PM
1) Your planes turn on the ground, or are unusually hard to turn in one direction due to the way wind/ground handling has been modelled. Allied planes (I haven't spent much time in Axis planes yet) "weather cock" more than a chilli eating wind surfer.

2) Allied brakes are funny. One control (button or axis) determines the amount of braking effort applied, another control (button or axis) determines where that effort goes; left or right. If no direction is assigned, no effort is applied.

Psit
04-29-2011, 04:00 PM
1) Your planes turn on the ground, or are unusually hard to turn in one direction due to the way wind/ground handling has been modelled. Allied planes (I haven't spent much time in Axis planes yet) "weather cock" more than a chilli eating wind surfer.

2) Allied brakes are funny. One control (button or axis) determines the amount of braking effort applied, another control (button or axis) determines where that effort goes; left or right. If no direction is assigned, no effort is applied.

Dude, you just confused me there :eek:

Seeker
04-29-2011, 04:19 PM
Dude, you just confused me there :eek:

I'm confused by your confusion, feel free to elucidate.

Which part of left or right bothers you? The bit about effort?

In real life, the bicycle brake looking hand grip on the joystick determined the amount of air (and hence effort) being fed to the braking system; the rudder pedals (pushing left or right) distributed that effort. If you don't squeeze the brake lever, there's no air, and thus no effort. If you don't push a rudder pedal then the effort is not distributed (both brakes on), if you push right, the air/effort goes to the right brake.

That's what they're trying to model. And they know that some people do without advanced flight controls, so they're trying to model it with simple key presses.

This is quite different from Axis brakes, which, when configured correctly in Clod, work pretty much as expected (as far as I can see).

By that I mean that assigning left and right brakes axis to the pedal (not rudder) axis in the controls menu seems to work as expected on Axis craft, but has no effect on Allied craft.

And that's because the brakes work in different ways.

Blackdog_kt
04-29-2011, 04:31 PM
First of all, if you want to turn left you need to brake the left wheel, if you want to turn right you need to brake the right wheel. Just keep it slow in order not to have the plane tip-over, give it some throttle and brake accordingly.

The way it works in the game is an exact copy of the mechanisms used in the real planes.

RAF planes: They use pressurized air to work the brakes (like trucks). There is one brake switch that starts sending air to the brakes, but there is also a directional valve further down the air pipeline. That valve is controlled by the rudder pedals, so that if you press the brake switch and full left rudder it sends all of the pressurized to the left wheel brake only, similar for the right one.

To do it in the simulator: Keep your brakes key pressed and use the rudder controls on your stick.

Luftwaffe planes: They use completely separate brakes for each wheel. In the real aircraft, if you press down on the forward part of the rudder pedals with your toes, it brakes the appropriate wheel. To brake, you press both toe brakes. To turn on the ground you just press the toe brake inside the turn (left toe brake for left turn, right toe brake for right turn). You can turn the rudders too to help with turning, but unlike the British aircraft it has completely no effect on the brakes: if you press the left toe brake while the rudder is centered, you will still turn left.

How it works in the simulator: Turning the rudder does nothing for the brakes (just like in the real aircraft). If you press the brakes key it activates BOTH toe brakes, you will never be able to make it turn on the ground this way.
What you need to do is define separate left/right brakes in your controls options.

Even if you follow both methods, they are not interchangeable because the game imitates the real aircraft's systems. Turning with your separate left/right brake commands will only by possible in a German plane, turning with the main brake key and rudder will only be possible in a British plane.

Buchon
04-29-2011, 04:34 PM
Be careful with the pressurized air brakes of RAF planes or you´ll ground your nose ;)

Psit
04-29-2011, 05:04 PM
Thansk Seeker and Blackdog , i pretty much got it now.

Hell, i thought it was just another bug and not a feature xD