PDA

View Full Version : CloD Sales Figures, any sources?

speculum jockey
04-28-2011, 07:38 PM
Are there any sites that have been tracking the current sales numbers so far for Cliffs of Dover? Any press releases or possibly internal figures that have been leaked to give us some idea how CloD is doing? Does Steam or some of the other online retailers record their sales stats?

Obviously it's not a AAA+ title that moves a few hundred thousand units the opening week, but it has been a costly and lengthy development, so having a rough idea how many "boxes/bytes" have been moved would go some way to knowing how it is doing. There are tons of sites out there that track movie sales and compare them to production costs, and I was wondering if there was something similar for the computer game industry.

addman
04-28-2011, 07:59 PM
You could check out http://www.vgchartz.com/. They have the latest figures for videogame sales. I've been checking the sales figures for the last month but Clod haven't even broken through top 30 (need to be a premium user to see the whole charts) which indicates rather low sales. I'm not surprised though since it is after all a very niche game and Russia/US are probably the main markets.

P.S Even though the sales might be weak right now I don't recall IL-2 selling millions of copies at launch either, it sells over time I reckon.

FliegerAas
04-28-2011, 08:53 PM
I only know, that Clod was listet nr. 15 in the "Saturn Charts" in a big German PC-Games magazine on the 4th of April. Saturn is a chain of electronics stores.

http://www.pcgames.de/Saturn-Firma-133680/News/Saturn-Charts-Crysis-2-an-der-Spitze-starker-Neueinsteiger-818773/

I'm afraid the bug-desaster prevented it from selling better :(.

Troll2k
04-28-2011, 09:19 PM
What does it matter?

If they do not sell enough they will fold.If they do sell enough they will continue.

I do not think there is anything we can do about it unless you plan to buy a bunch of extra copies to give as Christmas gifts.Or possibly talk it up to friends and family.

If if goes down the hopper blame Ubi for their superb advertising and marketing campaign.

ParaB
04-28-2011, 09:20 PM
I had a chat with a friend working for Mediamarkt (large electronics chain in Germany) and he told me that CoD's sales were quite lower than for example the latest Silent Hunter title. Since simulations actually sell quite well in Germany that's no good news. Of course, this is just some very limited information but it fits to what I've heard/read the last couple of weeks. The bugged release did most certainly scare away customers.

Troll2k
04-28-2011, 10:17 PM
From what I heard Silent Hunter was a disaster.

It is not looking good for the home team.

swiss
04-28-2011, 11:10 PM
I so love Valve for refusing to publish sales figures. :-x

addman
04-29-2011, 12:55 PM
I so love Valve for refusing to publish sales figures. :-x

I think it's up to the publishers if they want to release sales figures, Steam is only a distribution channel.

BlackbusheFlyer
04-29-2011, 01:19 PM
I have a bit of information in this regard, Europe is the biggest Market in the world for software distribution accounting for 60% usually of sales. The rest of the world including USA accounts for 40%. A friend of mine runs a very large and successful software distribution company and is my source for this.

Redroach
04-29-2011, 01:29 PM
I'm afraid the bug-desaster prevented it from selling better :(.

This is most likely the case. You just can't expect to release a game in such a state and get away with it. It's been done before and it has failed before. Hell, the CoD CE dropped about 8€ in price a few days after release.. that has told an early story already.
The only Chance for the Il-2/CoD - community is that the game matures over time (though things don't look rather bright either, when looking at the radio or loadout functionality, p.ex.), enabling the game to become a long-time seller.
And/Or, as I've said before, there will be a smash-hit expansion.

I want the game to be great as anyone in here does, and the foundations are there - but gameplay experience just isn't unrestricted fun if you get annoyed by bugs/non-functionality by the minute. We need nothing short of a miracle :(

TonyD
04-29-2011, 01:34 PM
I have a bit of information in this regard, Europe is the biggest Market in the world for software distribution accounting for 60% usually of sales. The rest of the world including USA accounts for 40%. A friend of mine runs a very large and successful software distribution company and is my source for this.

Really? I would have thought that the US would outnumber everyone else put together. Stupid question - does his software include games?

BlackbusheFlyer
04-29-2011, 02:01 PM
Really? I would have thought that the US would outnumber everyone else put together. Stupid question - does his software include games?

I was also surprised by this, yes they distribute games including FSX and apparently FSX sales where also in those proportions.

FG28_Kodiak
04-29-2011, 02:11 PM
Not in PC-Games, in US there are more consoles.

speculum jockey
05-02-2011, 03:23 AM
Another thing to take into account is that the N. American market is big on FPS MMORPG's and sports/racing games. Europe is the sweet market when it comes to Sims, hence the reason why they really have to watch out for the swastikas, even though they are ok in the US. You lose Europe, might as well not release this game.