PDA

View Full Version : So, what's the cure against flickering shadows (ATi)

addman
04-28-2011, 07:09 PM
Title pretty much sums it up, have a HD6850 and I've been fiddling around with both in-game and CCC settings but the flickering remains. Does anybody know the magic setting combination?:)

Buchon
04-28-2011, 07:18 PM
Go to your conf.ini and be sure your shadows map size is set to this :

ShadowMapSize=5

addman
04-28-2011, 07:23 PM
Go to your conf.ini and be sure your shadows map size is set to this :

ShadowMapSize=5

Just checked, it was already set to 5, any other tips?

Buchon
04-28-2011, 07:26 PM
no one, Im in the same boat.

I tried everything but seems a ATI driver issue.

Rattlehead
04-28-2011, 08:55 PM
I also have it. Are only Ati cards affected by this?

Oldschool61
04-28-2011, 09:14 PM
Turn off shadows??

RocketDog
04-28-2011, 09:36 PM
6970 here with Cat 11.4 drivers and I get flickering shadows as well.

I don't think the devs had access to modern ATi cards when they developed the sim.

reflected
04-28-2011, 10:05 PM
Nvidia here, still I have these flickering shadows.

Doc_uk
04-28-2011, 10:36 PM
Title pretty much sums it up, have a HD6850 and I've been fiddling around with both in-game and CCC settings but the flickering remains. Does anybody know the magic setting combination?:)
Is it the same problem im haveing?
Flickering trees, plus shadows under trees
http://youtu.be/qc3Zj5RUVPk?hd=1

Rattlehead
04-28-2011, 11:48 PM
Yep...

Doc_uk
04-29-2011, 07:59 AM
thanks

Wolf_Rider
04-29-2011, 08:06 AM
wind blows through the trees making the leaves rustle, branches and boughs sway... shadows react accordingly.
The wind effect isn't a realistic one though, unless viewed from very close up - ie on the ground
I'm thinking also that AA is applied to the trees, making them shimmer

W0ef
04-29-2011, 10:43 AM
wind blows through the trees making the leaves rustle, branches and boughs sway... shadows react accordingly.
The wind effect isn't a realistic one though, unless viewed from very close up - ie on the ground
I'm thinking also that AA is applied to the trees, making them shimmer

Exactly this. It is my opinion too that it is the wind settings that cause this shimmering. If you zoom in really close to the leafs of a tree you will see how over the top animated they are.

Easy solution would be to slow this animation down like a hundred times in the Speedtree settings (something we cannot do ourselves unfortunately I think) or even turning the blasted animations off on them (wish there would be a setting that let you do that) Also, a lot of the flickering in mid distance is because of a funky animated LOD version of the trees, at least it seems like that for me after examinating things more closely. I think the trees go from fully detailed + animated, medium LOD + Animated, low LOD not animated, etc. The LOD + Animated version causes a lot of the shimmering in the trees further off in the distance.

I have managed to severely lower the flickering by tweaking my Anti-Aliasing and setting all shadow related settings to the max I could in conf.ini (eg shadowmap size, target rendering quality)

It is a lot less for me now and only noticeable flying relatively low over the ground in bright sunlight.

TL;DR

Unrealistically fast animation of the leaves on trees definetely seems to be the problem. Please give us an option to either slow the animations down seriously or shut em all off altogether.

Buchon
04-29-2011, 11:14 AM
Is not the wind, it happens to the houses as well.

If you watch carefully is flickering the whole shadow, even the parts that are not affected for the movement because its a all dark zone.

addman
04-29-2011, 11:14 AM
Explosion shadows also flicker, check out the black death track when the first bombs goes off and you'll see.

Rattlehead
04-29-2011, 12:43 PM
I have managed to severely lower the flickering by tweaking my Anti-Aliasing and setting all shadow related settings to the max I could in conf.ini (eg shadowmap size, target rendering quality)

Mmm...sounds like something I should try. I was just about to ask about the shadowmap size and then I saw your post. Thanks.

Codex
04-29-2011, 01:35 PM
Just remember everyone, the latest patch release is still beta, it wont stay like this forever. Luthier will get the team to fix the ATI issues.

ICDP
04-29-2011, 02:04 PM
Just remember everyone, the latest patch release is still beta, it wont stay like this forever. Luthier will get the team to fix the ATI issues.

It isn't unique to ATI, also it has been like this from release so it has nothing to do with the beta.

Wolf_Rider
04-29-2011, 04:57 PM
look at the shadows in cockpit, to get an idea of what is going on with building shadow flicker (saw tooth edgings)

Codex
04-30-2011, 12:04 AM
It isn't unique to ATI, also it has been like this from release so it has nothing to do with the beta.

Well I must be the odd one out because I haven't had any flickering problems until installing the April 27 beta patch. And because the only significant change to the code, graphically for me, was the implementation of Crossfire I suspect CoD has a sync issue between the two cards or hasn't used the right Crossfire mode. When I disable Crossfire the flickering disappears.

Goanna
04-30-2011, 12:09 AM
Well I must be the odd one out because I haven't had any flickering problems until installing the April 27 beta patch. And because the only significant change to the code, graphically for me, was the implementation of Crossfire I suspect CoD has a sync issue between the two cards or hasn't used the right Crossfire mode. When I disable Crossfire the flickering disappears.

I'm with you Codex, no real probs till this latest patch, however with a 5970 card I don't have the option to disable crossfire :(

Codex
04-30-2011, 12:52 AM
I'm with you Codex, no real probs till this latest patch, however with a 5970 card I don't have the option to disable crossfire :(

You need to have two or more GPU's installed for the menu option to be visible ;)

DOH! Just noticed you've got the 5-9-70. http://th982.photobucket.com/albums/ae301/EarlyMemphis/Smileys/th_HeadSlapSmiley.gif

Goanna
04-30-2011, 12:13 PM
Well I think I have a work around for dual GPU cards like my 5970.... in conf.ini change Render=D3D10_0 to Render=D3D11_0 .....for me no more crossfire logo in the top corner and stuttering and tearing have goneskey :grin:

Hopefully this helps others with dual GPU cards

Cheers

Goanna

W0ef
05-01-2011, 04:01 PM
@Goanna

I experimented with setting DRD11_0 quite some time ago but I have to say I'm seriously doubting whether it actually renders in DX11 or in fact reverts to DX9, I don't see an actual difference to be honest.

Buchon
05-01-2011, 04:13 PM
It renders in my card.

The game starts and I can load a map and play, but there no antialiasing, graphical glitches and missing objets and textures, there no water for example.

DX11 is incomplete at the moment , that is why is not available now.

JG301_HaJa
05-01-2011, 05:50 PM
I've noticed that flickering shadows only seems to exist in cockpi view!
If i go outside view and watch the flickering is gone?

Buchon
05-01-2011, 06:54 PM
I've noticed that flickering shadows only seems to exist in cockpi view!
If i go outside view and watch the flickering is gone?

Yes.

The trees, houses, ... , shadows is flickering in cockpit view.

Basically is because the game, while you are in cockpit view, is using for outside objects lower shadows map sizes.

MegOhm
05-01-2011, 10:17 PM

I had this Sim tweaked to flyable condition and I was pretty happy. I see the same thing with flickering shadows and lots of other graphics anomalies that were not present before the latest patch. The Sim is now unflyable for me. I am going back to the previous version.

I wonder if they will ever get this right. Not feeling warm and fuzzy right about now.

Back to A-10C (it works!), and IL2 1946 UP Mods til they figure this Albatros out

Intel Core i7-980X Extreme(12MB L2 Cache, 3.33GHz), 12GB DDR3 SDRAM,1333MHZ, 6x2GB, ATI Radeon HD5970, Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium, 2TB Serial ATA 2 Hard Drive 7200 RPM, Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit, 52" Panasonic Plasma, Logitech G930 wireless Surround Sound Headset, TrackIR5-ProClip, (TM WartHog H.O.T.A.S and CH Pedals on order!)

MegOhm
05-01-2011, 10:29 PM
Well I think I have a work around for dual GPU cards like my 5970.... in conf.ini change Render=D3D10_0 to Render=D3D11_0 .....for me no more crossfire logo in the top corner and stuttering and tearing have goneskey :grin:

Hopefully this helps others with dual GPU cards

Cheers

Goanna

....We have a similar system and the same card, I will try your conf.ini change. I was about to try a reinstall and go back to last patch. Could you share your card and ingame settings? I have tried all combos since patch and it just wont return to flyable FPS. Would be most appreciated!

Intel Core i7-980X Extreme(12MB L2 Cache, 3.33GHz), 12GB DDR3 SDRAM,1333MHZ, 6x2GB, ATI Radeon HD5970, Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium, 2TB Serial ATA 2 Hard Drive 7200 RPM, Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit, 52" Panasonic Plasma, Logitech G930 wireless Surround Sound Headset, TrackIR5-Proclip, (TM WartHog H.O.T.A.S., CH Pedals on order!)

Goanna
05-02-2011, 12:21 AM
@W0ef...You may very well be right... at this point I'm just happy that I can fly :grin:

@ MegOhm CCC and Ingame settings attached

Cheers

Goanna

5789 5790

Rattlehead
05-02-2011, 01:11 AM
Well I must be the odd one out because I haven't had any flickering problems until installing the April 27 beta patch.

I haven't installed any beta patch, and I'm still getting flicker...it seems a bit better now after checking out the shadowmaps, but it's still there.

MegOhm
05-02-2011, 09:16 PM
@W0ef...You may very well be right... at this point I'm just happy that I can fly :grin:

@ MegOhm CCC and Ingame settings attached

Cheers

Goanna

5789 5790

Thanks, I have completed several suggested tweaks and our settings are close but a little different. CLOD is running pretty smooth again and is very flyable. Two Things I did was change the render line in the config.ini from
Render=D3D10_0 to Render=D3D11_0 and Process Affinity Mask to 63. That made the difference for me.

I went from large black areas on the ground, constant stutters, seeing the prop spinner through the cockpit gauge panel, irregular river banks and coast line, just funky rendering, to a now stutter free and graphically "normal" Sim. It actually runs smooth now and looks good again!

Today I will remove the UBI video, logo.wmw at start up that is reported to lock card clock speeds to 400 in the EU version.

I guess the next patch will be another start all over LOL!

Intel Core i7-980X Extreme(12MB L2 Cache, 3.33GHz), 12GB DDR3 SDRAM,1333MHZ, 6x2GB, ATI Radeon HD5970, Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium, 2TB Serial ATA 2 Hard Drive 7200 RPM, Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit, 52" Panasonic Plasma, Logitech G930 wireless Surround Sound Headset, TrackIR5-Proclip, (TM WartHog H.O.T.A.S., CH Pedals on order!)

Wolf_Rider
05-03-2011, 10:02 AM
I tried the DX11_0 setting and got FPS halved, no real image quality improvement and a black circle around the edge of the viewing area, plus rough chunky beaches Dx10_1 was worser, with rough chunky beaches.

W0ef
05-03-2011, 10:33 AM
I would not recommend setting dx11 myself, but if it helps people great!

I think it actually reverts to rendering in DirectX9 though when you set it to 11.

I have been tweaking lots with my conf.ini and had some success setting FastTransparancy to 0, but it was very inconsistent and I lost my no flicker shadows when trying to replicate what I had done.

I think the best thing we can do is stay patient and hope that the next patch will have shadows sorted, I donĀ“t think it should be too tough to fix (flying outside your plane instead of inside the cockpit has the correct, no flicker shadows)

FZG_Immel
05-03-2011, 08:50 PM
same here with a Gef 570..

flickerring of shadows is a plague