PDA

View Full Version : How to make the hunter the hunted

Ploughman
04-28-2011, 04:52 PM
Attributing a class seems to determine the way an aircraft will behave. Label a 109 a bomber and it will behave as a bomber, replace a fighter in the QMB with a bomber and the bomber will behave as a fighter. Was chased around Calais in a 109 by a flock of normally docile Blenheims. My crime? Changing Spitfires to Blenheims in the QMB.

Rattlehead
04-28-2011, 04:54 PM
Really? I have to try that. Maybe I'll make all fighters bombers for a while.

Fliegenpilz
04-28-2011, 05:02 PM
This Information actually explains quite alot... thanks for sharing!

Now I know why I could hunt down Spitfires so easily... :grin:

To Luthier and team: I suppose this is quite easily fixed in the QMB, maybe this should be done to avoid further confusion...

addman
04-28-2011, 05:02 PM
Blenheims actually did some nightfighting during the war so it's not too out of this world BUT if it manoeuvres like UFO then something is wrong.

Long-range fighter

The Bristol Blenheim was used by both Bomber and Fighter Commands. Some 200 Mk I bombers were modified into Mk IF long-range fighters with 600 (Auxiliary Air Force) Squadron based at Hendon, the first squadron to take delivery of these variants in September 1938. By 1939, at least seven squadrons were operating these twin-engine fighters and within a few months, some 60 squadrons had experience of the type. The Mk IF proved to be slower and less nimble than expected, and by June 1940, daylight Blenheim losses were to cause concern for Fighter Command. It was then decided that the Mk IF would be relegated mainly to night fighter duties where No. 23 Squadron RAF who had already operated the type under night time conditions had better success.
[edit] Night fighter

In the German night bombing raid on London, 18 June 1940, Blenheims accounted for five German bombers thus proving they were better suited to a nocturnal role. In July, No. 600 Squadron, by then based at RAF Manston, had some of its Mk IFs equipped with AI Mk III radar. With this radar equipment, a Blenheim from the Fighter Interception Unit (FIU) at RAF Ford achieved the first success on the night of 2–3 July 1940, accounting for a Dornier Do 17 bomber. More successes came and, before long, the Blenheim proved itself invaluable in the night fighter role. Gradually, with the introduction of the Bristol Beaufighter in 1940-1941, the Blenheim was supplanted by its faster, better armed progeny.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Blenheim

whoarmongar
04-28-2011, 05:08 PM
Really. Very interesting good find. This would explain a lot. What I cant understand this being the official forum is the developers deafening silence on issues like this. surely if you cant be bothered to write a decent manual this is the place to explain the unexplained.