PDA

View Full Version : Downing JU87's?

Catseye
04-28-2011, 03:17 AM
Just an observation but I find the Stuka is difficult to shoot down. My loadout is 2xincendiary tracers and 6xarmor piercing.

I can saw the wings off larger bombers with relative ease and do tremendous other damage - but not the Stuka.

Is it just possible that the damage model is not up to snuff on this bird?

My understanding is that the Stuka was pretty easy game for the Hurri's.

Any comments?

Cheers

JG14_Jagr
04-28-2011, 03:38 AM
Kill the crew and they go right down

IceFire
04-28-2011, 03:43 AM
So I take it the engine and fuel tanks aren't as vulnerable in Cliffs as they were in IL-2 1946?

III/JG11_Simmox
04-28-2011, 03:55 AM
yes well
Rudel probably wouldnt have racked up over 2500 missions if the stuka was a *Ronson*:)
he always praised his mighty steed,as being able to take alot of damage and still get him home.
then again,he was shot down a dozen times.heh

sinking the Marat must've been an incredible sight,let alone being the one responsible for it!
the story is quite a good one,and very lucky to actually have pulled it off.

Catseye
04-28-2011, 03:51 PM
So I take it the engine and fuel tanks aren't as vulnerable in Cliffs as they were in IL-2 1946?

Not for me. I've tried different loadouts and so far no flaming birds. It looks like the AP really chews up the skin but getting to the engine from behind and damaging a wing spar is not easy. IMHO

If this is the A10 of WWII, I'm wondering how the Hurri's and Spit's managed to down so many?

Just a thought: I wonder if the statistics for downing the Stuka's in increased volume happened after the introduction of the Hispano 20 mm.?

But I do so love the damage on larger bombers. To me it is so similar to the camera footage shown so many times of BOB IRL.

Cheers

addman
04-28-2011, 04:04 PM
Try to hit the radiator from behind/underneath, works in IL-2 1946. The IL-2 Sturmovik had the same weakness, hit that thing and you're set :).

SEE
04-28-2011, 04:17 PM
They are difficult to flame and the hardest I have come across. I was testing my convergence (absolutley critical) and found that aiming for the fuel tanks by swooping under and upwards, chopping throttle, was the only way I could rupture them and ignite. Even then, it doesn't always work (in terms of 'flaming') , the AI drop so his rear gunner has you in his sights again but hit the engine from below and down they go. (De-Wilde and AP load out)

From what I have read, the Ju87 was withdrawn from operational use in the BoB due to high losses- something isn't right with the current damage modelling.

http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt341/Angeloevs/JU87.jpg

Catseye
04-28-2011, 06:47 PM
[QUOTE=SEE;275241]They are difficult to flame and the hardest I have come across. I was testing my convergence (absolutley critical) . . . .

What did you select for convergence?

I've tried to find out more info on the "DeWild", as an incendiary is it more effective than the tracer/incendiary?

Cheers

BadAim
04-28-2011, 06:53 PM
Anything over 10% losses is considered high and would be unsustainable long term. That is shooting down one plane out of a formation of ten. I guess that would be possible with the present damage model.

SEE
04-28-2011, 07:53 PM
[QUOTE=SEE;275241]They are difficult to flame and the hardest I have come across. I was testing my convergence (absolutley critical) . . . .

What did you select for convergence?

I've tried to find out more info on the "DeWild", as an incendiary is it more effective than the tracer/incendiary?

Cheers

I prefer the 'De Wilde' with AP but generally, the ordinance for Allies is pretty weak as many RAF BoB vets testify in their memoirs.

I converge all my guns at 150m ( I say meters because I believe CoD uses metric). This places a Ju87 at around 2/3 the size of my gunsight ring for my optimum firing point. 200m distance and its a little over half the size.

However, getting a BF109 within 150m is another ball game - what works against a dawdling JU isn't necessarily the best all round setting. I wouldn't use anything higher than 200M with 0.303's , but thats me!

BlackbusheFlyer
04-29-2011, 01:02 AM
They do appear to be too tough, same with the 110's.. very hard to kill and when flown by the AI perform amazing feats of evasion. Find them much harder than 109's to bring down.

Ploughman
04-29-2011, 01:18 AM
yes well

sinking the Marat

He grounded the Marat. Nails all the same but the thing wasn't sunk.

Romanator21
04-29-2011, 01:25 AM
Anything over 10% losses is considered high and would be unsustainable long term. That is shooting down one plane out of a formation of ten. I guess that would be possible with the present damage model.

Good point.

According to a cutaway image I have of the plane, the fuel tank is on the inboard part of the wing behind a thick spar. Maybe that's why you're having a hard time getting it from its six?

robtek
04-29-2011, 06:08 AM
He grounded the Marat. Nails all the same but the thing wasn't sunk.

Well, he sunk the Marat as far as it could go down!

Sven
04-29-2011, 01:16 PM
Well, he sunk the Marat as far as it could go down!

That is very correct ;)

Main reason why Spitfires/Hurry's downed so many was because they were relatively easy to intercept and they were not so manoeuvrable, the plane itself was actually pretty sturdy and strong ( it was a dive-bomber after all ), but as some in this thread already pointed out, the exposed personnel in the glass cockpit was a good target as well as the radiator sticking out underneath. Also take in mind that the British fighters didn't fly on their own but brought a lot of maties along which resulted in heavy losses, downing Stukas on your own in a QMB doesn't represent a good picture of reality.

SEE
04-29-2011, 01:40 PM
From what I can see, it seems (and applies to many of the ac DM), firing around a 3 second burst accurately at your exact convergence setting will bring a JU87 down even from the six o clock. (This isn't an ideal tactical maneouvre for obvious reasons).

However, I suspect, but not sure, that the 'weathering' attribute in FMB may explain why some go down easier than others?

In the Hawkinge mission, check the MIS file and one has over 60% set. Is this 'physical' or 'visual'? I don't like the zoom view but it does assist in getting the 'burs't smack on your target - in this case the wing fold section, but repeat for another in the pack and wing stays in place.

Whatever, during the BoB, many Pilots would fly many sorties and never get a kill, if you manage one per sortie in CoD don't feel too bad, you have done well, alternatively pick the 'knackers' as your target!

http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt341/Angeloevs/juwingshear.jpg

Seeker
04-29-2011, 04:07 PM
I'd agree the plane is harder to bring down than anecdotal evidence would suggest.

However, the crew, especially the rear gunner, are much easier to kill _and_ Clod tells you he's dead.

So, the end result is that Stukas are more vulnerable, it's just that usually some one else gets the kill.