PDA

View Full Version : Possible cause for concern for AMD/ATI Crossfire users.

ICDP
04-27-2011, 07:48 PM
With the latest beta patch release it is almost certain that none of the developers or official beta team have a Crossfire setup. Obviously I could be wrong but surely if there were then it would have been noticed that Crossfire systems render the latest beta totally and utterly unusable.

Luckily I have two seperate HD6970 cards so can disable one card through the drivers (not viable option as it requres to be done manually depending on the games). For ATI X2, HD5970 and HD 6990 users this is ot an option so the current beta is worthless.

Might I suggest that the devs get a few Crossfire users onboard the official beta for testing purposes (ideally one with Crossfire on a single GPU). No I am no volunteering as I have no time to beta test officially. Please don't suggest it's a beta thats the point, it would be much easier if these problems were noticed prior to public beta release by the devs and official testers.

Kankkis
04-27-2011, 08:00 PM
I'm volunteer to test possible crossfire betapatches :grin:

I have single card 5970 (with 2gpu) so it's basically crossfire but with only one physical card just like 6990.

Kankkis

JG52Krupi
04-27-2011, 08:14 PM
I'm volunteer to test possible crossfire betapatches :grin:

I have single card 5970 (with 2gpu) so it's basically crossfire but with only one physical card just like 6990.

Kankkis

No me, I was here first :P

EDIT:

Look at the past updates they have said that the Xfire is being worked on but it will take a few weeks.

ICDP
04-27-2011, 08:29 PM
No me, I was here first :P

EDIT:

Look at the past updates they have said that the Xfire is being worked on but it will take a few weeks.

Are you a tester, or if not are you aware if there are Crossfire users among the devs or official testers? I hope this doesn't seem conrfrontational, if the answer is yes then I will be a happy bunny knowing that it is all taken care off :)

If the answer is no then does it not concern you that this (admittedly beta) patch causes serious problems on your GPU?

JG52Krupi
04-27-2011, 09:35 PM
Are you a tester, or if not are you aware if there are Crossfire users among the devs or official testers? I hope this doesn't seem conrfrontational, if the answer is yes then I will be a happy bunny knowing that it is all taken care off :)

If the answer is no then does it not concern you that this (admittedly beta) patch causes serious problems on your GPU?

Were all beta patch testers ;)

No problem with my GPU I have okay fps (20~30) over land except when flying low over London.

Flanker35M
04-27-2011, 09:46 PM
S!

When CrossFire works = another 6970HD welcomed :) Seems AMD needs a new CAP for CoD.

JG14_Jagr
04-28-2011, 03:44 AM

I believe I remember Luthier mentioning just that issue a while back in the forums.. that they did NOT have a Xfire rig in house..

Orpheus
04-28-2011, 03:55 AM
AFAIK the ATI cards underclocking in CloD is still an issue, certainly I'm only getting 400 where other games use 850? ATI cards seem to be the worst option for this game!

JG301_HaJa
04-28-2011, 05:03 AM
I'd also sign up to test crossfire betas :)

As of now it became completely unplayable for me.

Psycho_Ch!cken
04-28-2011, 06:17 AM
AFAIK the ATI cards underclocking in CloD is still an issue, certainly I'm only getting 400 where other games use 850? ATI cards seem to be the worst option for this game!
This is fixed with the switch to true fullscreen. That only applies to the game itself though, menus are still borderless window mode, so they will still underclock. But who cares about the menus eh? The actual gameplay works now with full speed.

EDIT: Just tried it myself. Jesus that's broken. On a slightly positive note, there is a tiny possibility that the input lag that's been plaguing things had vanished, but it was a bit hard to tell with things running that badly.

GOZR
04-28-2011, 06:17 AM
Here too SLI system and Crossfire sytems I can compare both.. ;)

Buchon
04-28-2011, 06:26 AM
Just a technical note for multi GPU users :

- Put in your system specs the PSU wattage, multi GPU systems are power hungry ones, the lack or power can cause poor performance and even system resetting.

- Multi gpu systems are CPU demanding too, a CPU bottleneck in multi GPU system cause a weird shuttering similar to the lag in multiplayer games.

Also add crossfire and SLI support dont mean instant FPS boost because a SLI profile or AMD application profile is needed to handle the multi GPU configuration.

Maybe the lack of this application profile is what is causing the wrong GPU clock in ATI cards too.

Flanker35M
04-28-2011, 06:31 AM
S!

Overclock the cards like 5MHz and try again. I get full clocks in CoD. Also test different CrossFire profiles, might help.

Skoshi Tiger
04-28-2011, 06:39 AM
If you serach back far enough you'll find a comment from Oleg that they'd had discussions with NVidia but AMD/ATI didn't even respond to their emails. One of the big complaints in the past was that IL2 was 'optimised' for Nvidia, but once again ATI couldn't care enough to talk to the developers.

Guess that Il-2 too small a market to be worried about.

Not that this has help the SLI crowd so far but without the graphics card manufactures input it makes it even harder for the software developers.

Cheers!

Kankkis
04-28-2011, 07:19 AM
now i believe there is real full screen support because now i see crossfire logo on upper right corner when i enable logo from CCC.

Langnasen
04-28-2011, 07:55 AM
If you serach back far enough you'll find a comment from Oleg that they'd had discussions with NVidia but AMD/ATI didn't even respond to their emails. One of the big complaints in the past was that IL2 was 'optimised' for Nvidia, but once again ATI couldn't care enough to talk to the developers.

Guess that Il-2 too small a market to be worried about.

Not that this has help the SLI crowd so far but without the graphics card manufactures input it makes it even harder for the software developers.

Cheers!

I haven't bought an ATI card since the 9700, and the above is yet another good reason to continue to avoid them.

ICDP
04-28-2011, 10:36 AM
I haven't bought an ATI card since the 9700, and the above is yet another good reason to continue to avoid them.

I have built scores of systems over the years with both types of cards. Nothing wrong with ATI/AMD drivers or how they run in games. Also the fact that ATI/AMD didn't reply to Olegs emails does not make them worthless for CoD. It also doesn't make Nvidia cards a better choice, I mean it isn't like CoD is running flawlessly on either manufacturers cards is it.

My experience with both cards is that sometimes games work better on one type or the other. Sometimes drivers are good sometime they are bad, again for both sides.

I find it kind of idiotic for someone to proclaim an entire range of products not worthy of purchase, despite not having tried one since a 9700 that was released in 2002.

TonyD
04-28-2011, 11:30 AM
ICDP: +1 (bit of an inane comment, that :)). Before this turns into another Ati/nVidia flame war; I build game stations as a hobby, and have never found an appreciable difference between the two. It takes nit-pickers like THG to examine the finer details of AA performance or image quality that 99% of users would never notice.

I personally have not had any difficulty in running this game after the first beta patch release, but then maybe I’m just lucky. Not using multi gpu’s is a benefit at the moment, but this issue is likely to be addressed sooner or later. I haven’t had the chance to try the latest patch yet, but will post my findings when I do.

W0ef
04-28-2011, 01:52 PM
Did Anyone try RadeonPro yet?

http://www.radeonpro.info/en-US/

Featuring basic 3D controls for everybody's use and advanced controls like Scripting, Driver Compatibility feature, Compabitility profiles for Anti-Aliasing and CrossfireX, allowing advanced users to automate tasks like overclocking before gaming, and things not possible before like forcing Anti-Aliasing on games not yet supported by the Catalyst driver. RadeonPro can also help CrossfireX users to force multi-GPU utilization in games not supported by the driver, improving your games performance with a few clicks.

Basically what it does is let you apply CrossfireX profiles made for other games and use them for CoD.

If you check the site for the latest 11.4 WHQL drivers ( http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_win7-64.aspx#1 ) you can see several CrossfireX profiles have been added which resolve Negative Crossfire Scaling for several games like Test Drive and stuff, I wonder if applying one of those to CoD would help but I don´t run Crossfire myself so Im not able to test it :(

Kankkis
04-28-2011, 02:44 PM
Thats true you can get some more fps when use gameprofiles, but at this state there is something really broken on In clod code, i got good fps but it stutters like hell, gameprofile cannot cure that, that problems in in clod code itself.

I think there is some good news too, now clod see both of my gpu's before it working without large stutter but only find 1gpu, so now start sli/crossfire optimisation.

FS~Phat
04-28-2011, 03:05 PM
I get amazing scaling in the latest beta by forcing AFRfriendly d3d in radeon pro but have massive flickering problems.

The graphics scrolling and rendering is really really smooth though and I get 90 to 130FPS on black death track. There's lots of potential now for great crossfire scaling but the latest beta is unplayable for me as I have a 5970 and 2 x 5870s (quad GPU) and it stutters along at 10fps totally unplayable. If I force AFR with radeonpro I get an amazing smooth high frame rate but then I have flickering and missing textures which is just as unplayable! Back to the last formal patch release for me as the previous beta1 was crap too.

i7 950 @ 4.6Ghz
6GB Ram @ 2000Mhz
4 x 5870 @ 1000/1300
Win 7 ult 64bit
1920x1080 res

W0ef
04-28-2011, 03:09 PM
Hi Kankkis,

What Radeonpro lets you do is use CrossfireX Profiles made by AMD for other games that suffered from similar problems and try them on Cliffs of Dover.

So you could try a profile that solved Negative Crossfire Scaling for another game and try it for CoD. I will not say this helps but you never know, it seems to do the trick in other cases where they used profiles originally designed by AMD to resolve issues with a different game and manage to solve bad Crossfire performance in their game that way.

(Someone in another thread suggested using the Lost Planet DX10 Crossfire profile for instance but there are many different ones)

@Phat

Disabling Catalyst A.I. seems to have solved the flickering problem for some. You could try it out and just turn it back on should it not work.

• Disable CATALYST A.I - You must follow instructions below to disable Cat A.I. The slider settings are for enabled only, they've made it harder to disable it but here is how with latest drivers:

* Close down CCC.exe and MOM.exe via Taskmanager
* Navigate to <username> \AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\Profiles
* Open Profiles.xml with Notepad
* Alt + F and search for "Catalyst"
* Change Value Enable to Disable for Catalyst A.I
* Save
* Restart

FS~Phat
04-28-2011, 03:17 PM
Ive tried just about every profile combination possible in radeonpro including scissors, tiling and AFR and none of them fixed the crossfire problem totally.

The best result was with the generic AFRfriendly D3D gaining a massive 130FPS and silky smooth Black death, but then it has flickering textures and some black/missing textures too.

I updated from 11.4 w/Cap5 11.3 to Cap1 11.4 profile too with zero improvement.

We need a new AMD CAP and possibly some more optimisations from 1C to fix the crossfire stuttering.

Orpheus
04-28-2011, 03:22 PM
This is fixed with the switch to true fullscreen. That only applies to the game itself though, menus are still borderless window mode, so they will still underclock. But who cares about the menus eh? The actual gameplay works now with full speed.

EDIT: Just tried it myself. Jesus that's broken. On a slightly positive note, there is a tiny possibility that the input lag that's been plaguing things had vanished, but it was a bit hard to tell with things running that badly.

Not on my system sadly, even with 11.4 drivers. Still clocking at 400, not 850. :(

Kankkis
04-28-2011, 03:28 PM
Not on my system sadly, even with 11.4 drivers. Still clocking at 400, not 850. :(

Why you dont overclock your card memory and core clocks 1MHz