PDA

View Full Version : anyone tried this?

raaaid
04-27-2011, 01:54 PM
dogfights with remote controls cheap planes with a camera which you pan with tracir and a laser and smoke and stuff

seeing the money people spend on their rigs why not do this?

more realistic for a nerd not willing to take risk imposible

edit:

remote controlled at light speed they could be use from anywhere in the world :)

imagine somone who makes bussiness on this and rents planes to have 1000 real planes on the air fighting each other :)

W0ef
04-27-2011, 02:11 PM
I want some of what you have been smoking :P

squidgyb
04-27-2011, 02:23 PM
Dogfighting with RC planes would be on another level of twitchiness compared to sim flying - smaller/lighter, much more susceptible to gusts of wind. Not to mention the inevitable crashes - I'd rather spend my money on a PC where if I do crash then I just restart as and where I want - not a few weeks in a workshop fixing the plane :D

Don't get me wrong, I love RC planes, and flew some for a couple of years - inexpensive RC planes do exist, but as with everything, you'll get better results the more you pay.

Damnit.

You might've just woken up an itch in me that's been waiting to be scratched for the last 15 years or so...

Oh, and latency free RC over long distance - not gonna happen.

raaaid
04-27-2011, 02:40 PM
when you fly under 500 m, ground which you see on your screen, ai takes control

when you fly outside the limits ai takes control

if you engage into collision ai takes control

if i were into businnes i would try this

fly real fighters by paying 3 hundred a month :)

squidgyb
04-27-2011, 03:22 PM
AI that deals with keeping the plane in one piece and dogfighting? Even taking into account the AI routines used on those magnificent quadracopters that've been shown all over the internet playing ping pong, we're a good distance away from realtime, fully AI'd flying of RC planes in wind - let alone dogfighting.

Oh, and if you've "engaged in a collision" in an RC craft, much like the real thing - no AI control will save you or your plane. One or both planes will drop out of the sky, the bodies will likely break severely, and if you're very unlucky you'll bend a crankshaft or crack open a servo/RX unit.

I admire your imagination, I really do! :)

BTW, 300 what a month? £'s? $'s? Rubles? Rupees?

:D

Blue Scorpion
04-27-2011, 04:15 PM
Been there done that, it doesn't work on any useful scale; what's more, camera range is severely limited, adding a camera adds weight something you want to avoid with RC. Any camera that will fit, AND relies on radio transmission just does not have any useful range and the frame rate +resolution is piss poor too. To make it work you are looking at larger scale rc aircraft, or very expensive camera equipment and that starts racking up cost and comes with its own set of limitations on where you can fly, frequencies etc.

Sternjaeger II
04-27-2011, 04:23 PM
this guy is a bit gung-ho, reminds me of when I was young teehehe

ladies and gentlemen, meet the AR Drone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG5pqTWVahQ

Jaws2002
04-27-2011, 04:38 PM
This one is better. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozHoP_YThRI

Herbs107
04-27-2011, 10:32 PM
We do WW1 r/c combat once a year at Benalla in Victoria Australia. It gets expensive, and you dont usually come back with to many planes in one piece.

Pluto
04-28-2011, 08:20 AM
I want some of what you have been smoking :P

me too !!!
:grin: