PDA

View Full Version : ATI blue stripes

Bobb4
04-27-2011, 01:20 PM
Can we get and idea on when the developers plan to tackle the ATI blue three stripes?
You know the ones you see on the horizon when flying low over water etc...
:confused:
The developers so far have not mentioned them even in updates :rolleyes:

TonyD
04-27-2011, 02:13 PM
I get a single very faint line just above the horizon between 200 and 500 feet. It isn't visible above or below these heights, and is hardly noticeable (had to go and look for it after reading this post).

W0ef
04-27-2011, 02:17 PM
For me it´s very noticeable and it´s an utter immersion killer, three very bright blue lines all along the horizon going through clouds and anything.

Happens only when running the game in DX10 mode, DX9 doesnt have the blue lines.

-Happens only at lowish altitudes

-Happens only with Radeon cards.

-Happens only running DX10

Should def be fixed asap as far as Im concerned, biggest and most noticeable bug for me right now, close second being the total failure that is AA right now (Anti Aliasing, not Anti Air).

If those two things get fixed Im a happy gamer :P

RocketDog
04-27-2011, 02:22 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v402/RocketDog/Launcher2011-04-2018-05-35-19-1.jpg

I agree that this is a stupid immersion killer. It's part of a problem with the horizon on ATi cards. The haze does not extend low enough and even at heights where the "blue line" isn't visible, there are still problems.

In the picture below, for example, the haze over land means that the land fades out of view into the distance - which is correctly realised. However, there is then a sharp horizon line above and beyond the land cutting through what should supposedly be a distant haze hiding both land and the actual sharp edge of the horizon.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v402/RocketDog/Launcher2011-04-2018-02-14-31.jpg

Blackdog_kt
04-27-2011, 02:22 PM
On another Ati-related note, i have a 4890 1Gb and while i don't get the horizon stripes, i get those strange, thin lines (artifacts) extending from coast into the sea.

I also get the issue where my clock speeds don't throttle up, they stay at 240 Mhz and that's a big part of what was causing me problems (i run an i7 920 at 2.7 Ghz with 3GB of RAM so it's not exactly shabby). I forced it to 850Mhz yesterday and i got massively improved performance, but overclocking through 3rd party software (ati tray tools) gives me some instability that results in the PC rebooting after 40 minutes or so.

I think it will be perfectly playable for me once they manage to make full screen mode detectable by Ati drivers and the cards start to throttle up properly as a result, since i was even getting no less than 20-25 FPS for most of the Black Death track and up to 60 (capped by Vsync) when flying in combat over land (just not at tree top level, it still stutters a bit down low when loading textures) with quite a few of the settings in high, a couple in low, the rest in medium and SSAO off.

RocketDog
04-27-2011, 02:26 PM
BlackDog,

I use Cat 11.3 drivers on my 6970 card and it runs at full speed. What drivers are you using?

Flanker35M
04-27-2011, 04:19 PM
S!

The beta patch gave me too much grief so went back to latest official. Updated drivers to 11.4 and my clocks still go to full 3D speeds. Let's hope the CoD issues are noted in next driver release already :D

2033cyborg
04-27-2011, 04:38 PM
got an sapphire 6950 black vision 2GB and yes i have those 3 blue lines but compare to other problemes this game got i cannot even bother...

LT.INSTG8R
04-27-2011, 04:41 PM
I guess if they are there I haven't noticed them. 5870 here.

Chaoic16
04-27-2011, 05:11 PM
I am running dual HD 5970 Crossfire enabled with ati catalyst 10.11 driver, I am able to run IL-2 COD. I don't even plan on updating my driver to any new driver because installing new driver always have been pain in arse for me. Each time I install new driver, the driver itself refuse to install driver until I use window 7 driver to install driver for me. I never had problem installing driver when I had nVidia card before switching to ATI card. I fully regret buying ATI card because I always have problem installing new ATI driver. I might will upgrade to next driver when there is strong good review on new driver for ATI card.

Chaoic out...

=XIII=Shea
04-27-2011, 05:51 PM
I am having the same problems with the 3 blue lines,the same as W0ef,check out his pic
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=22119&page=3

Blackdog_kt
04-27-2011, 06:42 PM
BlackDog,

I use Cat 11.3 drivers on my 6970 card and it runs at full speed. What drivers are you using?

I also run 11.3 drivers. I think the issue is a bit hit-and-miss, some Ati cards go up to full speed just fine, others stay in "desktop mode" and you get half the FPS :confused:

W0ef
04-27-2011, 07:13 PM
Overclock them a little in the performance tab in CCC

Then search for Profiles.xml and open the one in the ATI folder if you have several (for me it is in C:\Users\Meh\Appdata\ATI\ACE) then see next points below copied from http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=68060 (Check out all suggestions in this forum)

• Disable CATALYST A.I - You must follow instructions below to disable Cat A.I. The slider settings are for enabled only, they've made it harder to disable it but here is how with latest drivers:

* Close down CCC.exe and MOM.exe via Taskmanager
* Navigate to <username> \AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\Profiles
* Open Profiles.xml with Notepad
* Alt + F and search for "Catalyst"
* Change Value Enable to Disable for Catalyst A.I
* Save
* Restart

In that file you can also search for the line below and set to enable, so:

<Feature name="ForceHigh3DClocks">
<Property name="ForceHigh3DClocks" value="Enable" />
</Feature>

This should hopefully make em run at full clock if you overclocked them in CCC.

p.s. I use the 11.4 WHQL certified catalyst drivers from guru3d (browse these forums for the link if you feel like upgrading)

Blackdog_kt
04-27-2011, 07:39 PM
I just upgraded to 11.4 and the issue still persists. I might try your advice but to be honest i don't want to permanently run with a fully clocked GPU, your solution seems a bit too "permanent" for lack of a better work.
The reason is that my PC stays on for weeks at a time (skype calls to relatives abroad :-P ) so i don't want to increase my power consumption or stress my GPU any more than needed when i'm not running anything demanding.

Thanks for the advice however, i'll be sure to check out your suggestions and the link in more depth.

Apart from using the Ati tray tools from guru3d (which forces the clocks just fine but ends up rebooting my PC after 40 minutes or so of flying,even if i force the fan to go full speed and temps are at 65 degrees maximum), isn't there an easy way to create a game-specific profile that will be compatible with the official drivers?

Thanks in advance :grin:

W0ef
04-27-2011, 08:13 PM
Well, the last beta patch (check main forum if you havent done so) seems to have changed everything except for the blue lines ( :( )

Full screen seems to be properly working now so your card should be shifting into higher gear even without my seemingly drastic settings, which gave me no probs so far by the way ;)

Orpheus
04-28-2011, 12:25 AM
I'm also on 11.3 on 2 5770's in Crossfire. I only run CloD with a single card as xfire is a stutterfest atm as we know.

I'm getting the same problem with the clock speeds though, most other intensive games run my clocks to 850, but CloD stays at 400 the entire time. No wonder ATI cards are having trouble if they're only hitting half clock - but I don't get what's doing it, especially if not everyone with these cards is having a problem.

I'm not up for perma-forcing my card/s to maxclock either, this more than anything else is what needs fixing. I also see bars of land going over water or vice versa.

Blackdog_kt
04-28-2011, 12:49 AM
The latest beta patch (April 27th) did it for me, in conjunction with the 11.4 drivers. Now i have true full-screen mode and the GPU increases clock speed on its own.

Longer load times and still not very high FPS but much smoother, ie less FPS fluctuations and stutters. I could get up to almost 60 with the GPU clock constantly at maximum factory settings with the previous beta patch, with this one and no forced clocks it just manages it on its own. I get dips into the low 20s occasionally but overall it runs smooth.

My PC is not too shabby neither cutting edge: i7 920 @ 2.7 Ghz, Ati 4890 1GB and only 3GB of RAM.

I run models, effects and land shadows on high, building detail on low, the rest on medium, Vsync on, grass, roads and shadows on, SSAO off on a 1680x1050 resolution.

Not bad at all i'd say, considering that my RAM usage is hovering around maximum all the time. If i do end up upgrading anything that will be it, another 3GB of triple channel RAM should do the trick.

Orpheus
04-28-2011, 03:58 AM
The latest beta patch (April 27th) did it for me, in conjunction with the 11.4 drivers. Now i have true full-screen mode and the GPU increases clock speed on its own.

I went and got the 11.4 release from the ATI site (released yesterday) after seeing this, and it did give me an fps boost, in combination with today's beta. It looks to me like I have true fullscreen, but sadly my card still only clocks 400 with CloD running. Ah well every little helps I guess.

Interestingly, after installing 11.4 it reactivated my xfire (I didn't think to check) and the logo displayed in game for the first time. Still stuttery as hell tho.

Flanker35M
04-28-2011, 06:29 AM
S!

A tip from a driver tester. Try Lost Planet DX 10 profile for CrossFire if it helps. So now hopefully we can see support from AMD more :) And it seems most artifacts are game related, not driver.

Rattlehead
04-28-2011, 10:02 AM
I'll try the 11.4 drivers tonight.

Interestingly, my card (5870) has always clocked to full speed...I have never had a problem there.

The three blue lines were there at first, but since the last patch they have vanished.

W0ef
04-28-2011, 10:05 AM
I'll try the 11.4 drivers tonight.

Interestingly, my card (5870) has always clocked to full speed...I have never had a problem there.

The three blue lines were there at first, but since the last patch they have vanished.

Lucky you! Just to check though, you´re running the game in DX9 or DX10 mode?

Rattlehead
04-28-2011, 10:08 AM
It's running in Dx10.

TUSA/TX-Gunslinger
04-28-2011, 02:54 PM
I guess if they are there I haven't noticed them. 5870 here.

Same here. 5870 w/VBios 012.020.000.001.036486

Here's a hint for those with "Blue" horizon and card not running a full tilt - Check your Vbios version.

I just updated mine before obtaining CoD software. I found I couldn't use Catalyst drivers newer than 10-8. When I updated to anything in the 11 cats, I'd get grey screens when my video card crashed.

My best settings in CoD: EDIT2 - No performance increase found with setting "Tessellation to 64X". Performance difference due to background application running during Tessellation test

https://webspace.utexas.edu/joem/CLIFFS%20OF%20DOVER/Catalyst%2011.3%20settings%20-%20best%20performance%205870.jpg

Thanks for posting screenshots of this, I finally understand what ATI users are talking about.

S!

Gunny

Orpheus
04-28-2011, 03:38 PM
No blue horizon bars on my 5770, do get the odd few lines of ground spiking into water areas (if that makes sense) tho.

What do you mean by adjusting the vbios? No idea what version I'm using and to my knowledge I've never knowingly changed or updated it. I'm not very technical (a bit, but not much), so any ideas on solving the ATI underclocking problem are much appreciated!

TUSA/TX-Gunslinger
04-28-2011, 05:09 PM
Vbios is the video card equivelant to the Bios in your Motherboard. Warning: you can render your video card unusable by improperly flashing Vbios - the only real safe way to flash Vbios is to obtain the correct version from your video card manufacturer. There are many Vbios for a particular card as components change during the life-cycle.

In my case - I knew I had a problem somewhere because when I could not use Catalyst versions past 10.10. After 10.10 (11 series) the Catalyst and Drivers were changed signficantly. When I installed any of the 11 series Catalysts - I would experience "Grey" screens as my 5870 crashed. Many times a day.

I had purchased my 5870 very early on - so it had a very early Vbios installed. All Vbios have a date - and the one my 5870 came with was 12/17/09 (version 012.018.000.001.000000).

So, I went the the Sapphire website and filled out a trouble ticket. They responded and emailed me. They provided the correct Vbios in the email and some instructions. The newest Vbios for my particular 5870 is 012.020.000.001 - Date 2010/03/08.

How do you know what Vbios you have? Open up the AMD CCC and select the "Information Tab" - then select "Hardware". Scroll down the information window until you see "Bios Version/Bios Part Number/Bios Date". That's what you have inside.

So with all that said, if you aren't having obvious problems - don't worry about it.

I only point this out as a variable in the equation. Hardware, O/S, Video Drivers are what everyone normally focuses on, however Vbios can play a role.

Here's a GPU-Z screenshot of my current configuration:

https://webspace.utexas.edu/joem/CLIFFS%20OF%20DOVER/GPU-Z%20w%20new%20Vbios.gif

GPU-Z is a good utility to monitor all sorts of stuff with your video card. It's free. Just Google GPU-Z, download - install and run

Hope this helps,

S!

Gunny

Orpheus
04-28-2011, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the info, I already run GPU-Z so it was easy to check. Tbh as I've not had any issues with the recent 11.4 drivers I'll have to assume they're fine! If only solving this underclocking problem was easier!!

TUSA/TX-Gunslinger
04-28-2011, 05:55 PM
Orpheus,

I haven't had this underclock issue, yet :) Now, my 5870 is a Sapphire Vapor-X and comes overclocked a little from standard. When I saw a few weeks ago that someone was recommending AMD Overdrive - I turned it on and pushed the sliders up a bit. However, the last week at least, I turned it off.

Right now my CCC is for AMD Overdrive is set as follows:

Enable AMD OVerdrive = unchecked
High Performance GPU clock = 890MHz
High Performance Memory clock = 1260MHz

I have used the ATITrayTools monitoring graphs set to view Main CPU Usage and GPU Activity. My 5870 was running way over 80% - sometimes as high as 98% - during heavy load CoD application.

S!

Gunny

Orpheus
04-28-2011, 06:29 PM
Orpheus,

I haven't had this underclock issue, yet :) Now, my 5870 is a Sapphire Vapor-X and comes overclocked a little from standard. When I saw a few weeks ago that someone was recommending AMD Overdrive - I turned it on and pushed the sliders up a bit. However, the last week at least, I turned it off.

Right now my CCC is for AMD Overdrive is set as follows:

Enable AMD OVerdrive = unchecked
High Performance GPU clock = 890MHz
High Performance Memory clock = 1260MHz

I have used the ATITrayTools monitoring graphs set to view Main CPU Usage and GPU Activity. My 5870 was running way over 80% - sometimes as high as 98% - during heavy load CoD application.

S!

Gunny

Mine's very similar, my defaults are 850/1200mhz with ATI Overdrive on. The core never hits 850 as it does in every other game, just sits at 400 with GPU usage at 100%, which doesn't seem right to me. Latest beta gives me what looks like true fullscreen (which I assumed would solve the problem) but nothing has changed.

From what I've read it doesn't seem like CloD was ever tested on ATI cards, at least not on a crossfire rig, which to me is ludicrous as ATI/Nvidia make up a huge percentage of the market for gfx cards. After accidentally leaving xfire on after installing 11.4 I feel really bad for people with 6900's and other dual cards, it was a hideous experience. I just wish I could figure out why the underclocking affects some ATI cards/users but not others. Those of us with this issue are only getting around 50% performance out of our GPU's and it's no wonder our framerates struggle to hit two digits! :confused:

TUSA/TX-Gunslinger
04-28-2011, 08:16 PM
I just edited the thread above where I posted what I thought were my best settings.

After 3 rounds of confirming tests - I've found that Tessellation at 64X instead of OFF makes a significant differenence in stuttering and minimum FPS. 15 fps difference in multiple tests.

I have also found that Application AA from CoD doesn't do much past 2X - however at 8XAA the frame rate and stuttering are much better.

I'll post more in a seperate thread when I get home tonight. Gotta run.

S!

Gunny

kimosabi
04-28-2011, 08:20 PM
Are you saying that Tesselation enabled INCREASES your FPS? The 5870 is one of the earliest cards with DX11 and Tesselation features, and it's Tesselation performance is much worse than Nvidia's 480/580 so I guess that just shows us again that the engine can't utilize graphics cards properly at all. Especially since CoD doesn't even run DX11, so having Tesselation enabled shouldn't do jack all for your performance. Atleast not increase it.

Run a Tesselation test at Unigine Heaven and you'll see what I mean.

RocketDog
04-28-2011, 08:41 PM
Still there with Cat 11.4 drivers.

Groan.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v402/RocketDog/Launcher2011-04-2820-39-41-88.jpg

TUSA/TX-Gunslinger
04-28-2011, 09:00 PM
Are you saying that Tesselation enabled INCREASES your FPS? The 5870 is one of the earliest cards with DX11 and Tesselation features, and it's Tesselation performance is much worse than Nvidia's 480/580 so I guess that just shows us again that the engine can't utilize graphics cards properly at all. Especially since CoD doesn't even run DX11, so having Tesselation enabled shouldn't do jack all for your performance. Atleast not increase it.

Run a Tesselation test at Unigine Heaven and you'll see what I mean.

Yes - that's what the data says. Edit: No, I was mistaken about tessellation. Data interpreted incorrectly. Background Application, ATITrayTools source of performance difference.

The software is using the engine differently.

I'll post my data in a new thread as soon as I get home.

Look at the AA scaling I mentioned.

S!

Gunny

GOZR
04-29-2011, 04:41 AM
http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp344/GOZR/Launcher-2011-04-28-21-29-27-99.jpg

Here the lines same here..Cat 11.4 drivers.

Flanker35M
04-29-2011, 05:21 AM
S!

Gunny, strange how Tessellation can affect FPS when the game uses none. But you never know how these games work :D Gotta try that when back at home. Before CoD is patched up good using it just to test my settings and patches. WoT taking too much time ;)

Anyways, fill the feedback form to AMD. It made a difference to IL-2 1946 as well :)

TUSA/TX-Gunslinger
04-29-2011, 07:11 AM
I was w-r-o-n-g :) But I hope you'll understand my mistake. I just finished 5 hours of Black Death testing to confirm:

1. Tessellation as expected, had no effect on anything :) I discovered that I had not taken account of whether or not I had ATI Tray Tools running. So I when I changed the Tesselation setting from OFF to 64X - ATI Tray Tools was running.

2. So I started a long series of tests iterating Tessellation and Disabling ATI Tray Tools and Turning it back on. Here are the results:

8XAA in AP - Tessellation = 64X - ATITrayTools Running
Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
8787, 211340, 0, 96, 41.578 2 big pauses
8830, 211417, 7, 95, 41.766 2 stutters
8569, 211280, 0, 94, 40.558 pauses
8043, 211964, 0, 92, 37.945 8 stuttering periods
8578, 211848, 0, 91, 40.491 pauses

8XAA in AP - Tessellation = 64X - ATITrayTools Shutdown
Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
9114, 212280, 17, 98, 42.934 Smooth
8994, 212468, 16, 96, 42.331 Smooth
9093, 212634, 17, 96, 42.764 Smooth
9000, 212428, 15, 97, 42.367 Smooth
9007, 212326, 17, 97, 42.421 Smooth

8xAA in AP - Tessellation = OFF - ATITrayTools Shutdown
9012, 212089, 16, 97, 42.492 Smooth
8905, 212175, 17, 93, 41.970 Smooth
8784, 208758, 17, 95, 42.077 boringly smooth
8822, 212061, 16, 93, 41.601 Smooth

8XAA in AP - Tessellation = OFF - ATITrayTool Running
8754, 212337, 0, 96, 41.227 2 large pauses
8892, 212400, 18, 97, 41.864 smooth!
8839, 211994, 14, 93, 41.695 smooth
8414, 212259, 0, 93, 39.640
8614, 212233, 0, 95, 40.587
8605, 212233, 0, 92, 40.545
8562, 212274, 0, 89, 40.335
8688, 212419, 9, 91, 40.900 some jerkyness
8768, 212443, 16, 95, 41.272 smooth
8571, 212186, 0, 95, 40.394

As you can see, ATITrayTools has an effect on the FPS of my system, but in a bit of a random manner. I have no idea why. I have never setup anything in my ATITrayTools except to run the Graph output for the various functions.

In case anyone's interested I conducted these tests in the following manner:

1. Start TrackIR, Thrustmaster Target software and Fraps to simulate real load.
2. Start CoD - select "The Black Death" track and after it loads select Play.
3. Let the first playback proceed until it's ended.
4. Restart "The Black Death" track
5. Start Fraps benchmark 5 seconds into track. This is the point where Bf-110 #3 transitions his tailwheel to cross the centerline of nearfield Bf-110 port propeller hub.
6. Observe each track and note pauses, stutters or micro stutters.
7. Stop benchmark after the Bf-110 dives. Track is 3 mins 40 secs long.
8. Repeat. Organize documentation and files.

Anyway, I feel a little silly about the Tesselation - kind of did when I posted it. But, hopefully I made up for it :)

I'm still running Cat 11-3, as I wanted to finsh this testing. I'll install 11-4 today and see what happens.

BTW my settings for these test, except where indicated are:
https://webspace.utexas.edu/joem/CLIFFS%20OF%20DOVER/CoD-1.00.4305-best-settings.jpg
https://webspace.utexas.edu/joem/CLIFFS%20OF%20DOVER/Catalyst%2011.3%20settings%20-%20best%20performance%205870.jpg

S!

Gunny

TUSA/TX-Gunslinger
04-29-2011, 07:47 AM
One last thing. Here's a screen capture I did during the earlier testing, obviously when ATITrayTool was active. You can see the cross-core load as the track is being played and you can observe the CPU load (yellow) and most importantly the 5870 GPU load (pink).

https://webspace.utexas.edu/joem/CLIFFS%20OF%20DOVER/BlackDeathTrack-playback-CPU-GPU-8XAA-app-1.00.14305.jpg

At least these settings in Cat 11-3, have my GPU loaded to a greater extent.

S!

Gunny

TUSA/TX-Gunslinger
04-29-2011, 08:04 AM
Oh, I almost forgot - I don't have the blue line.

https://webspace.utexas.edu/joem/CLIFFS%20OF%20DOVER/Horizon%20at%20Sea%20-%20no%20blue%20line.jpg

S!

Gunny

RocketDog
04-29-2011, 08:45 AM
Oh, I almost forgot - I don't have the blue line.

Comprehensive tests!

You don't have the blue lines because you have an Nvidia card. They seem to be a special feature only available to ATi users.

Cheers,

Nick

PS - what utility did you use to produce the plot of CPU/GPU load?

Flanker35M
04-29-2011, 08:45 AM
S!

No worries Gunny :) Happens to all of us. I have Tessellation Off all the time as I do not play games that have it so basically EVE Online, World Of Tanks and IL-2:CoD :)

I noted that I get less stutter if I set Building amount to Unlimited. Then they are all already on map thus no loading or popping up. Only thing is the LOD on them..with low setting they are like brown boxes and turn to houses within a radius of your plane(like in old IL-2) and that can cause stutter. Again if you set Very High detail to buildings sure no brownie huts but has an impact on FPS.

For me most stutter is caused by SSAO. With it off I have a lot smoother experience with minimal effect on image. Really hard to tell the difference. FPS hit is 10-20fps and that can be a lot in certain scenarios.

Also shadows cause some of the stutter as they seem to have at least 2 LOD's. One farther away and when you are close(within the "sphere of LOD") they turn more solid and less flickery. Shadows also have this strange anomaly that they "stretch" at certain angles and look like lines. So clearly something could be done to shadows, be it total rework or more options.

Trees have same, farther away they look different and when again closer get more detailed. Gotta say I liked IL-2 original Forest=3 more than this and had basically NO effect on FPS. Actually was better than Forest=1-2. I use trees at Very High as I get less stutter with them that way.

Grass. I find it the most useless feature and have it off. Sure it will add something when taking screenies from ground etc. but when flying just a resource strain IMO adding nothing to the experience as the grass appears also within this "sphere of LOD" around the plane.

I wish Luthier would get in contact with AMD, at least their Driver Boss is on Twitter and for sure would be interested to get CoD to run on AMD hardware well. IMO flight sim genre is so small that favoring one brand is like shooting oneself in the leg by leaving out some players due certain features etc. I really do not care if a shooter game is optimized for one or another brand, I do not play them ;)

Anyways, back to testing again this weekend. Testing is the only thing I do with CoD as it offers very little for single player. But a good tool for testing :)

W0ef
04-29-2011, 09:35 AM
Hey Gunny,

Thanks for the extensive testing you have done, very interesting. (also whoever said you don´t suffer from the blue lines because you have an nvidia card should have his/her eyes checked). It would be interesting to know what settings you run your tests at graphic wise (everything high, mid, low, buildings unlimited etc)

@GOZR Apart from the blue lines that is a gorgeous screenie, would you mind posting your system specs and graphic settings (especially AA, AF etc and whether you override them or not in CCC) you took the screenie at?

So far it seems not all ATI cards suffer from the three blue lines bug, older Catalyst drivers seem to have helped some but there are people running the latest drivers who also not suffer from this annoying bug, maybe it has something to do with the VBios version or anything but that is just a wild guess.

Only solution that works to solve the blue lines on the horizon bug in all cases is running the game in DX9 but that negatively impacts fps for me for some reason.

On another note, my best results to get anti-aliasing working somewhat decent have been to set them to enhance application settings in CCC and 8x in CoD (although that seems to make little difference from running it at 2 times)

TUSA/TX-Gunslinger
04-29-2011, 09:45 AM
Comprehensive tests!

You don't have the blue lines because you have an Nvidia card. They seem to be a special feature only available to ATi users.

Cheers,

Nick

PS - what utility did you use to produce the plot of CPU/GPU load?

ATI Tray Tools - google it, d/l is free.

S!

Gunny

TUSA/TX-Gunslinger
04-29-2011, 09:47 AM
Hey Gunny,

Thanks for the extensive testing you have done, very interesting. (also whoever said you don´t suffer from the blue lines because you have an nvidia card should have his/her eyes checked). It would be interesting to know what settings you run your tests at graphic wise (everything high, mid, low, buildings unlimited etc)

Same settings as in my post. That screenie I took was with the same ATI CCC and in Game settings that I posted.

S!

Gunny

RocketDog
04-29-2011, 03:40 PM
whoever said you don´t suffer from the blue lines because you have an nvidia card should have his/her eyes checked

ooops! Yes I should :-?.

I wonder if it's only the 6 series cards that are effected? I tried Gunny's settings and still get the stripes. However, using edge-detect for AA does seem to have an effect on making AA better.

GOZR
04-29-2011, 04:07 PM
No Gunny has a Sapphire Vapor-X HD 5870 not Nvidia. ;) Good stuff there Gunny !!

GOZR
04-29-2011, 04:13 PM
W0ef my system is an i7 2600K Cruising @ 4.8 GHZ. 8 GB Ram 2000 and 6950 2GB ( unlocked )

I just installed it and go i didn't yet tweaked it.. coming from NVidia SLI system i have a quick learning to do.. My second 6950 is coming this week. ;)

The sim run actually very very smooth for me right now .. 1920x1200..

GOZR
04-29-2011, 06:04 PM
OK here is mine tested..
The AA in this sim need some serious TLC having a x8 AA or x8 AA on high res should appear so much better as well as the "insim" x8 it remind me the same case with "Rise Of Flight"
Their x8 is equivalent to an x4 at max..
Ok here is some setting that may improve your FPS
http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp344/GOZR/CCC.jpg

-Morphological filtering is cool but eat away your frame rate
-Anti-Aliasing Mode to "Multi-sample" AA , Adaptive or super are killer with not much difference.
-Now i could remove my 3 horizontal lines just by making my "Land Shading" to HIGH .. but we shouldn't need to .. Difference visual ? humm not much at all..
-Also By forcing the AA and Ani on my End gived me better performance and better visual as well. ( my settings are different from Gunny's but on my ATI it does works well )

CLOD need to improve on those matters..

TUSA/TX-Gunslinger
04-29-2011, 07:54 PM
S!

I noted that I get less stutter if I set Building amount to Unlimited. Then they are all already on map thus no loading or popping up. Only thing is the LOD on them..with low setting they are like brown boxes and turn to houses within a radius of your plane(like in old IL-2) and that can cause stutter. Again if you set Very High detail to buildings sure no brownie huts but has an impact on FPS.

I think you've just allowed me to figure out two things with that information.

1. Now I can see what the extra 1GB of Vram buys me :) I tried last weekend, several times - changing my Building Amount to Unlimited - because I saw a lot of AMD posts where folks had experienced improvment by changing from Low to Unlimited.

For me, it didn't work - much lower frames. Looks as if this is the difference between my 1GB of Vram and your 2GB. What we are validating is that there is a huge difference in HD5000 and HD6000 series behavior with CoD.

It's starting to look as if "my best settings" are applicable to HD5000's (less 5970 - Dual GPU - like GTX 295) series only (who knows about HD4xxxx series).

Your best settings (look at how different for example Gozr's are) will be relevant to HD6000's of course.

Also shadows cause some of the stutter as they seem to have at least 2 LOD's. One farther away and when you are close(within the "sphere of LOD") they turn more solid and less flickery. Shadows also have this strange anomaly that they "stretch" at certain angles and look like lines. So clearly something could be done to shadows, be it total rework or more options.

See now, there's another difference. Shadows add a ton to the realism for me - and they cost me a couple of FPS on my card.

I wish Luthier would get in contact with AMD, at least their Driver Boss is on Twitter and for sure would be interested to get CoD to run on AMD hardware well. IMO flight sim genre is so small that favoring one brand is like shooting oneself in the leg by leaving out some players due certain features etc. I really do not care if a shooter game is optimized for one or another brand, I do not play them ;)

Well the good news is that I think they are. For the first time in propeller combat sims - two developers - both 1C and 777 Studios have announced they are working on Crossfire solutions and that they'll be done soon.

The SLI solution has always come first, when developers have talked in the past. Now we are seeing Crossfire first in both camps. Deeper story there I imagine.

Thanks for the feedback, It'll be interesting what we find in 11-4 and next beta.

S!

Gunny

TUSA/TX-Gunslinger
04-29-2011, 08:25 PM
Hey Gozr, if you look at my settings - on my older 5870 in CoD (post in the previous page) - I've set land shading to High.

Go on - you can take it :) Particularly if it gets rid of the blue lines, right? You have a much later card and more vram.

I'm getting good fps for a high-load performance track. When I go online my fps is triple that.

S!

Gunny

GOZR
04-29-2011, 08:35 PM
Hoo Yes it is on High:) Gunny Thx ;)

RocketDog
04-29-2011, 08:49 PM
Grrrr.... my 6970/Cat 11.4 gives me the blue lines with land shading on high. I'm going to have to try as many different combinations of CCC and game settings as I can and see if I can get rid of them.

TonyD
05-02-2011, 05:54 PM
Thanks for all the effort, Gunny. I am about to upgrade my card to a 6950/6970, but am a bit concerned about the reported errors that 5xxx users don’t seem to have. But these hopefully should be sorted soon. Responding to a query from a Radeon user regarding support for the 6xxx series cards, luthier confirmed that the lead developer uses a Radeon (didn’t say which, I would assume a 69XX: http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?p=257679#post257679 ), so they should be well aware of the current issues.

Another strange issue is the use of MFAA – this should have a minimal effect on performance, but it has just the opposite, as GOZR says. I have left my CCC settings standard, rather tweaking the in-game settings which I found I could increase a little further after the previous beta patch (see attached). I find that the game runs rather fluidly with insufficient hiccups to detract from the experience.

I tend to run the Black Death track only once, and exit the game to avoid caching before each run. This way it runs an almost identical score each time, which is at least comparable. The fps recorded with my settings are 41, 93, 10 (avg, max, min) using the in-game display (not exactly scientific I know, but repeatable).

Cheers, Tony.

TUSA/TX-Gunslinger
05-02-2011, 06:20 PM
As someone pointed out to me in another thread - looks like they found the source of the HD6000 series "underclocking".

Ironically it's associated with the UBI animation at the beginning of the non-Russian version. Basically there are instructions around to tell you how to disable the animation which will restore an HD6000 series to life.

You just delete it :)

See this: http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpost.php?p=277167&postcount=289

S!

GUnny

S!

RocketDog
05-02-2011, 07:03 PM
Thanks for all the effort, Gunny. I am about to upgrade my card to a 6950/6970, but am a bit concerned about the reported errors that 5xxx users don’t seem to have.

I upgraded from a GTX285 to a 6970 specifically for this sim and wish I hadn't. CloD has significant and annoying artefacts even with the latest drivers (specifically, the blue stripes on the horizon). Given the vast amount of work they have to do on various other aspects of the game I am not confident this will get fixed in the near future. My advice would be to buy a GTX570 or 580 instead. I guess it depends on how much confidence you have in the 1C team and how long you are prepared to wait. My own confidence in them has largely faded away. However, on the plus side, the 6970 runs RoF very well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v402/RocketDog/Launcher2011-04-2820-39-41-88.jpg

JG14_Jagr
05-06-2011, 06:10 AM
I upgraded from a GTX285 to a 6970 specifically for this sim and wish I hadn't. CloD has significant and annoying artefacts even with the latest drivers (specifically, the blue stripes on the horizon). Given the vast amount of work they have to do on various other aspects of the game I am not confident this will get fixed in the near future. My advice would be to buy a GTX570 or 580 instead. I guess it depends on how much confidence you have in the 1C team and how long you are prepared to wait. My own confidence in them has largely faded away. However, on the plus side, the 6970 runs RoF very well.

I'm willing to bet that is not a significant issue to fix. Banding like that is usually driver related and either ATI can make a fix, or tell 1C what they are doing that is causing the problem. Its also not a show stopper at the moment so I'd bet unless it gets handed to them on a platter its going to be on the back burner for a while when the critical issues get worked on. I've seen the same thing in other sims..

Doc_uk
05-08-2011, 07:53 PM
I'm willing to bet that is not a significant issue to fix. Banding like that is usually driver related and either ATI can make a fix, or tell 1C what they are doing that is causing the problem. Its also not a show stopper at the moment so I'd bet unless it gets handed to them on a platter its going to be on the back burner for a while when the critical issues get worked on. I've seen the same thing in other sims..
What do you mean its not a show stoper lol, it completly ruins the bloody game lol

Meusli
05-08-2011, 10:22 PM
It's only a certain range of ati's that have though? I have a 4870x2 and do not see these lines at all and has been that way since launch.

JG14_Jagr
05-09-2011, 04:50 AM
What do you mean its not a show stoper lol, it completly ruins the bloody game lol

Its only visible from very low altitude.. like 3K feet..at least on my system.. If you go up where the BoB actually occurred you won't even notice it :)