PDA

View Full Version : first "hear" of a possible sound mod...

smink1701
04-27-2011, 01:23 AM
TigerBbe33 sound mod post from SimHQ. This may be old news but just in case. I think it shows a lot of promise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeT2r9CVadg&feature=player_embedded

Fafnir_6
04-27-2011, 01:26 AM
TigerBbe33 sound mod post from SimHQ. This may be old news but just in case. I think it shows a lot of promise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeT2r9CVadg&feature=player_embedded

It's definitely sexy....I'm using Tiger33's sounds in my HSFX install of the original Il-2. Here's hoping for an official word on sound mods/SDK implementation...

Cheers,

Fafnir_6

Doc_uk
04-27-2011, 05:58 AM
old news, :) but nice to hear it again, thanks
regards
Doc

Sutts
04-27-2011, 07:36 AM
Wow, that's more like it! Shame we didn't hear a flyby too.

The future looks bright. Thanks for the headsup.

Rattlehead
04-27-2011, 07:43 AM
I honestly can't wait for an official patch or a mod...I go to bed at night with that old Il-2 placeholder ringing in my ears.

Fjordmonkey
04-27-2011, 08:34 AM
Sounds nice, but I wonder how Steam's VAC-system, not to mention 1C's system for handling modders will react to such mods. Would definately like to have a Merlin SOUND like a Merlin, but since I also fly online, it's paramount that things stay on the good side of said two systems. Don't fancy getting banned for using a mod :P

Richard
04-27-2011, 04:40 PM
What amazes me is that these modders do this stuff for free in their own free time, and they manage to get it better than game developers on a freakin payroll..

Something isn't right!

Bewolf
04-27-2011, 04:48 PM
Ok, on the one hand, the basics are much more pronounced then stock, has a lot of potential there.

On the other hand, the sounds kinda sound a bit hollowed out. May be YouTube or compression or whatever is to be blamed here, but I have the feeling these sounds do not use the whole spectrum necessary to be believable. It does not help that the turbocharger whine of the 601 is hardly recognizable.

Tvrdi
04-27-2011, 04:54 PM
oh...yes please!

choctaw111
04-27-2011, 05:21 PM
What amazes me is that these modders do this stuff for free in their own free time, and they manage to get it better than game developers on a freakin payroll..

Something isn't right!

How many of the developers are really enthusiastic about their jobs? The modders have a passion that most game developers don't have.
That's the only answer I have to this.

Blackdog_kt
04-27-2011, 05:38 PM
Ok, on the one hand, the basics are much more pronounced then stock, has a lot of potential there.

On the other hand, the sounds kinda sound a bit hollowed out. May be YouTube or compression or whatever is to be blamed here, but I have the feeling these sounds do not use the whole spectrum necessary to be believable. It does not help that the turbocharger whine of the 601 is hardly recognizable.

That was also my impression after viewing it.

I've been running modded IL2 for a very long time, but with CoD the most important thing for me is for the sound to be dynamic. I won't mind if it's pretty sounding too but it's not my first priority, my no.1 use for sound is to know what my engine is doing.

I fly with CEM/temp effects on and it's a lifesaver being able to tune the engine by sound and look at your target, instead of having to look at the gauges in the middle of a dogfight.

Buffin
04-27-2011, 05:49 PM
Very, very nice ... excellent ;):)

41Sqn_Stormcrow
04-27-2011, 06:00 PM
That was also my impression after viewing it.

I've been running modded IL2 for a very long time, but with CoD the most important thing for me is for the sound to be dynamic. I won't mind if it's pretty sounding too but it's not my first priority, my no.1 use for sound is to know what my engine is doing.

I fly with CEM/temp effects on and it's a lifesaver being able to tune the engine by sound and look at your target, instead of having to look at the gauges in the middle of a dogfight.

I absolutely agree. From what I have heard with sound mods on the first run yes, they sound good but listening a second time they are usually shallow and monoton. It's not that they do a bad job as such, but imho and with all respect they simply don't have the insight in the game and sound engine to produce a sound that fits into the sound software engine well. So even if it does sound like a merlin or a db they will always lack the depth and the dynamics of a sound that was tailored to fit the game engine. That's why I usually prefer the ingame sounds. Btw with CoD they are not bad at all from what I heard. A Merlin incockpit sounds completely different from a Merlin from outside. Also the wind sounds can be so significant that the engine is less prominent.

So I am simply waiting the devs to produce the missing sound files and I'll be completely happy with them.