PDA

View Full Version : Betas running smooth now on my I5 system.

patrat1
04-26-2011, 01:07 AM
I posted this advice in a couple of threads already, but i figured id post it here so more could see it.

my system is an i5 2500k with a gtx 570. win7 64 os.

ive found that by setting my land shading to medium and shadows off, i can now fly low over london pretty smoothly.

i have everything else maxed, grass on, roads on, ssao off. im running 4xAA and 8x AF. with vsync off and aero on i get no tearing.

my fraps score on the black death is Min 16, Max 154, Avg 67.835.

i hope this helps those with similiar systems who are struggling with stutters or low fps.

timholt
04-26-2011, 01:34 AM
Thanks for that I am running the same rig as you so I will give it a whirl when the beta becomes a real patch.

patrat1
04-26-2011, 02:34 AM
i tried the german airfield attack quick mission, i modified it so that were over 100 planes flying.

i fought about half the time over land, half over sea.

had some stuttering but it was still very playable. my fraps did dip down to 3fps at some point. my avg was a decent 55 fps.

im going to try tweaking some more to see if i can improve the min fps when theres more than 100 planes fighting it out. also i gotta make sure my computer didnt decide to update something while i was testing.

edit: tested several more times same scenerio but i stayed over land the whole time, ususally low over the citys, sometimes looking out over water. results pretty much the same. single digit mins and mid 50s avg.

looks like 100 plane fights at good min fps are going to require either lower settings or waiting for SLI to be enabled.

jibo
04-26-2011, 04:29 AM
i'am using the same settings on a core i5/gtx, but some people just don't want to give up on shadows

patrat1
04-26-2011, 05:06 AM
i know what you mean. it was a hard choice for me too.

tried another 100+ plane sortie, same as above, same settings. stayed over land, stayed low etc. didnt start fraps till battle started.

but this time i over clocked my i5 to 4.5 ghz.

still had some stutters but it sure made a differance in my minimum. heres my fraps score.

Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
18534, 342952,,,,,,,,,20, 107, 54.043

so fighting 100+ planes over land, at low alt, with upper end settings, is very doable, if you got the horse power.

its pretty dam cool watching 100+ planes swirling around the sky. a gaggle of 110s tried to mug my spitty.

Bryan21cag
04-26-2011, 05:43 AM
good to hear:)

After the latest patch i can now actually fly a complete mission from takeoff to landing with full max settings playable. It still gets a bit choppy with attacking formations while still over land but its not so bad you cant play it. I am pretty sure this is still largely due to my other card not being used yet as well as further multi-core threading needing tweaking:) All and all its starting to shape up and the best news is its no longer trying to over heat my card. that was scary :) hitting 85-90C before i even took off until the first patch fixed that. Now I can easily keep it from cracking 65C with just a minor increase in fan speed profile :) very good change there.

tintifaxl
04-26-2011, 07:10 AM
i'am using the same settings on a core i5/gtx, but some people just don't want to give up on shadows

They're just too beautiful to turn them off. :-P

Vengeanze
04-26-2011, 10:13 AM
i know what you mean. it was a hard choice for me too.

tried another 100+ plane sortie, same as above, same settings. stayed over land, stayed low etc. didnt start fraps till battle started.

but this time i over clocked my i5 to 4.5 ghz.

still had some stutters but it sure made a differance in my minimum. heres my fraps score.

Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
18534, 342952,,,,,,,,,20, 107, 54.043

so fighting 100+ planes over land, at low alt, with upper end settings, is very doable, if you got the horse power.

its pretty dam cool watching 100+ planes swirling around the sky. a gaggle of 110s tried to mug my spitty.
Makes sense in my world as CPU keeps track of pos data etc for 100+ AI.
So sounds like 128 planes battles are within reach...but not at recommended specs though.

Helrza
04-26-2011, 11:02 AM
I posted this advice in a couple of threads already, but i figured id post it here so more could see it.

ive found that by setting my land shading to medium and shadows off, i can now fly low over london pretty smoothly.

i have everything else maxed, grass on, roads on, ssao off. im running 4xAA and 8x AF. with vsync off and aero on i get no tearing.

i hope this helps those with similiar systems who are struggling with stutters or low fps.

You could even chuck the land shading to low and also turn off clouds. Clouds and anything to do with shadows seem to be a bit of a killer for fps.

Oldschool61
04-26-2011, 11:47 AM

Try the same with the AA turned OFF

snwkill
04-26-2011, 04:58 PM
Yea I ditched shaddows on my I7 950 285 gtx and it made the biggest difference in the world.