ChrisDNT
04-24-2011, 07:15 PM
Enjoy :

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=115348431880583

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=115394365209323

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1762125186181

Capt Backasswards
04-24-2011, 07:27 PM
Cool!!! Thanks for sharing. Good to know some of the old birds still have life.

Sternjaeger II
04-24-2011, 07:28 PM
aaah lovely! I managed to see the French FW190 here in Europe before it ditched in the Channel, let's hope they'll take it back to the sky soon!

ChrisDNT
04-24-2011, 07:31 PM
Yeah, but this one is real, not a replica, fitted with a genuine BMW, what a sound !!!

Sternjaeger II
04-24-2011, 07:36 PM
...uuuh I just did a trousers shame LOL
It's surprising to see how much oil it burns though, I thought it was just a Chinese/Russian crap engine thing.

Kianoni
04-24-2011, 07:43 PM
nice vids ty!
btw, why doesn't this plane turn due to torgue (second vid) when being stationary like the ones we have in game. and why is it so controllable even on low speeds??
or is the ground handling in COD very unrealistic or am I just a bad pilot?

ChrisDNT
04-24-2011, 07:48 PM
In the preface of the excellent Docavia book on the 190, Kurt Tank explains that he conceived the 190 as an easy aircraft to fly for the less trained pilotes who would come to the squadrons, if the war lasted.

Sternjaeger II
04-24-2011, 07:58 PM
nice vids ty!
btw, why doesn't this plane turn due to torgue (second vid) when being stationary like the ones we have in game. and why is it so controllable even on low speeds??
or is the ground handling in COD very unrealistic or am I just a bad pilot?

the one you refer to is a bug that has already been reported.

kimosabi
04-24-2011, 08:02 PM
The third vid. That is one slippery aircraft. Why did they keep upgrading the 109 again?

Sternjaeger II
04-24-2011, 08:16 PM
The third vid. That is one slippery aircraft. Why did they keep upgrading the 109 again?

cheaper to produce, easier to maintain.. Many pilots (Galland included) who came from the 109 school weren't too impressed with the different characteristics of the 190. I don't think one is better than the other, the FW190 proved more versatile in the long run, but the 109 always had the edge in terms of manouverability.

Thee_oddball
04-24-2011, 09:06 PM
cheaper to produce, easier to maintain.. Many pilots (Galland included) who came from the 109 school weren't too impressed with the different characteristics of the 190. I don't think one is better than the other, the FW190 proved more versatile in the long run, but the 109 always had the edge in terms of manouverability.
Guther Rall
"the 109 was a floret and the 190 was a sabre" :)

Blakduk
04-24-2011, 09:15 PM
The main advantage the 109 had over the 190 was its performance at altitude- the 190 hit its service ceiling hard and performance dropped off dramatically. It wasn't really until the 190D that it was acceptable up high- especially at the altitude the USAAF flew at.
Love the video- need more.
Was this the one they found in a forest in the Ukraine?

ChrisDNT
04-24-2011, 09:26 PM
"Was this the one they found in a forest in the Ukraine?"

Yes

kimosabi
04-25-2011, 02:17 PM

From my understanding Galland wasn't exactly open to new ideas either. I'm reading Steinhilper's book "Spitfire on my tail" and apparently Galland was even against having radio comms in the 109. Coming from the Legion Condor and used to handsigns and wing flapping, guys like him didn't see much past their nose, according to Ulrich Steinhilper, so this attitude is quite clearly explained then IMO.

As for the production cost I agree and understand. Germany was on the backburner very early on. Shame though that the 190 wasn't produced earlier.

TeeJay82
04-25-2011, 02:34 PM
If the 109 and the 190 perform close to the real deal in il2, id take a fw anyday...

the 109 roll rate feels like a bus in comparison

Les
04-25-2011, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the vids.

Winged engines, with machine guns. What a concept.

Would be good to see, in-game, the wings moving up and down when the plane's stationary like they do in the first video. Would add a bit more life to the model, and assuming it's the result of the prop getting rotated, would be a good reminder of the sheer power up front of the plane's we're supposedly flying.

BadAim
04-25-2011, 03:09 PM
...uuuh I just did a trousers shame LOL
It's surprising to see how much oil it burns though, I thought it was just a Chinese/Russian crap engine thing.

This is actually the one found in a Russian forest, I believe in the '90s. You can find some film on Youtube with a little searching. Real cool that this baby is flying!

BlackbusheFlyer
04-25-2011, 03:28 PM
From my understanding Galland wasn't exactly open to new ideas either. I'm reading Steinhilper's book "Spitfire on my tail" and apparently Galland was even against having radio comms in the 109. Coming from the Legion Condor and used to handsigns and wing flapping, guys like him didn't see much past their nose, according to Ulrich Steinhilper, so this attitude is quite clearly explained then IMO.

As for the production cost I agree and understand. Germany was on the backburner very early on. Shame though that the 190 wasn't produced earlier.

Shame that it wasn't produced earlier? What? The FW190 outclassed the Spitfire Mk V and it wasn't until the Spitfire Mk IX which outclassed both the FW190 and bf109G until the RAF had the upper hand.

Remember that the FW190's were the instrument of a Nazi oppressive regime, they lost and they lost hard and thank god.

Sternjaeger II
04-25-2011, 03:32 PM

yep, got the signed edition of that book and it's an excellent read, but in hindsight it's easy to diss Galland.. as it happens Steinhilper had nowhere close the experience of Galland, who made it to the end of the war and played a vital role for the Luftwaffe despite the fat man dressed in white..

If you never read it, give a go to Galland's double autobiography, that's quite an eye opener too.

Sternjaeger II
04-25-2011, 03:36 PM
This is actually the one found in a Russian forest, I believe in the '90s. You can find some film on Youtube with a little searching. Real cool that this baby is flying!

yeah I remember that
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jueDXiuU6aM

such a great thing to see it back!

Hopefully they'll restore the French FW replica, it was very very cool and looked so sexy in its livery!

Sternjaeger II
04-25-2011, 03:37 PM
Shame that it wasn't produced earlier? What? The FW190 outclassed the Spitfire Mk V and it wasn't until the Spitfire Mk IX which outclassed both the FW190 and bf109G until the RAF had the upper hand.

Remember that the FW190's were the instrument of a Nazi oppressive regime, they lost and they lost hard and thank god.

...please let's not get political again.. just take it with a pinch of salt..

BlackbusheFlyer
04-25-2011, 03:41 PM
...please let's not get political again.. just take it with a pinch of salt..

Well comments like that (from kimosabi) can't help but raise heckles.

Sternjaeger II
04-25-2011, 03:45 PM

it's a sim, it's not a political agenda.. I collect militaria and firearms, and among them there are Nazi ones, does that make me a Nazi? :rolleyes:

Come on man, I'm sure it wasn't meant in that way ;)

BadAim
04-25-2011, 05:21 PM
it's a sim, it's not a political agenda.. I collect militaria and firearms, and among them there are Nazi ones, does that make me a Nazi? :rolleyes:

Come on man, I'm sure it wasn't meant in that way ;)

Yeah, me too. Kimo is a good egg. I'm sure he meant for the Germans. Although l don’t think it would have made much difference, as they lost the war of production (and pilot training) in 1940. By '43 they were hopelessly behind.

kimosabi
04-25-2011, 06:11 PM

I'm telling you, you need to lay your politics aside when you post in computer game forums man. Not only do you quote me to start your own parade but you also take it completely out of context.

Ofcourse I meant that the 190 would be more awesome to have in a BoB(or early war state) sim scenario but if you think I think that the Germans would have won the war regardless of weapon system of that age, you are 100% wrong dude. The war was lost by scatterbrained leaders, half assed priorities and an overwhelming Allied counter offensive and besides that, oppressive regimes are everywhere. It did not "end" with the nazi's but I sure am glad that the nazi closed minded views did not prevail. It's a shame that closed minded views seem to just transform to new arenas though. They just name them differently.

Happy?

Besides, I like the aircrafts for what they are, regardless of nation, not what they represented. Where else do you find a small single piston engined aircraft with 9000 guns and a million horsepower from 1000 litre engines? :)

Back on topic pl0x! BTW, SternjaegerII, will get Gallands autobiographies. I finished reading Wellum's "First Light" last month or so, just started with Steinhilper's "Spitfire on my tail" and they are both extremely interesting to read. Thanks for the suggestion!

Sternjaeger II
04-25-2011, 08:27 PM
BTW, SternjaegerII, will get Gallands autobiographies. I finished reading Wellum's "First Light" last month or so, just started with Steinhilper's "Spitfire on my tail" and they are both extremely interesting to read. Thanks for the suggestion!

yeah man, Wellum's description of his first flight in a Tiger Moth was SO much like mine, awesome read!
If I can suggest other titles:

"Thunderbolt!" by Bob Johnson http://www.acepilots.com/usaaf_rsj.html
"My Logbook" by Gunther Rall http://www.aviationautographs.com/detail.aspx?ID=1142 (got the signed one before Rall passed away: the price went shockingly high after)
"The blonde knight of Germany" by Erich Hartmann (got a first edition signed of this too!)
"Sigh for a Merlin" by Alex Henshaw
"The big show" by Pierre Clostermann

this is just a tiny, essential set of incredible reads, there are many more but these are really unmissable.

ATAG_Doc
04-25-2011, 08:36 PM
Me 109 G10 and Spitfire MK IX low and loud...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYLyrEsTZ60

WARNING: Please do not stare at the props for this can cause seizures in some people. If you experience them please stop watching and contact your physician immediately.