PDA

View Full Version : ATI 6970 Won't run at Full MHz??

JG14_Jagr
04-24-2011, 06:01 AM
For those of you with ATI cards under clocking take a look at my System Specs and see if you have a relatively similar setup.. My card works fine... but I have seen others that are having issues. I'd like to find 2 setups that are very close so w can try and figure out why one is working and the other is not. I'm using 11.3 drivers and DEFAULT settings for the CCC for now while I test the beta patch.

Phazon
04-24-2011, 07:06 AM
The HD6xxx series seems mostly unaffected. They have a different bios and a different version of PowerPlay which controls the card's power usage and clock speeds. I've seen alot of cases with the HD4xxx series (myself included), not too sure about the HD5xxx series.

Lixma
04-24-2011, 07:25 AM
How would I know if my card was under-clocking?

I have a 5870 but it's not over-clocked; is it only over-clocked cards that are being affected or is it a general ATI thing?

Flanker35M
04-24-2011, 08:00 AM
S!

Seems that for some this underclock thing is solved by opening CCC and enabling the overclocking. Then OC just a couple MHz and bam, it works. I used AMD system monitor to see if my clocks work OK and they do.

What I am going to do is to report the "3 blue lines" to the driver feedback as it seems to affect only AMD cards. Performance wise devs would need to take a look in the smokes causing massive slow downs, the dust at landing making a big hit as well and shadows flickering/hit on fps. When the game is "ready" then the rest is up to AMD/nVidia to tweak their drivers to work on the title :)

addman
04-24-2011, 08:03 AM
S!

Seems that for some this underclock thing is solved by opening CCC and enabling the overclocking. Then OC just a couple MHz and bam, it works. I used AMD system monitor to see if my clocks work OK and they do.

What I am going to do is to report the "3 blue lines" to the driver feedback as it seems to affect only AMD cards. Performance wise devs would need to take a look in the smokes causing massive slow downs, the dust at landing making a big hit as well and shadows flickering/hit on fps. When the game is "ready" then the rest is up to AMD/nVidia to tweak their drivers to work on the title :)

I also have the "blue lines", 4-5 of them I think. I've only noticed them while over water though. Also I get this big blueish/purpleish square in the far distance over land in some places.

Plt Off JRB Meaker
04-24-2011, 08:19 AM
The 5570 is good,although I am looking forward to the crossfire fix which Luthier reckons will be with us in a couple of weeks(I have duel cards).

But the one card is doing the best it can.However I bet that 6970 is bloody marvelous,I have plans to get one of these,soon.

Baron
04-24-2011, 09:54 AM
For those of you with ATI cards under clocking take a look at my System Specs and see if you have a relatively similar setup.. My card works fine... but I have seen others that are having issues. I'd like to find 2 setups that are very close so w can try and figure out why one is working and the other is not. I'm using 11.3 drivers and DEFAULT settings for the CCC for now while I test the beta patch.

One cause could be that they under clock/throttle back due to overheat?

Every card is different, even from the same series and manufacturer.

wilburnator
04-24-2011, 10:51 AM
One cause could be that they under clock/throttle back due to overheat?

Every card is different, even from the same series and manufacturer.

Except that that isn't the problem. The card hasn't had the opportunity to heat up, it idles down at game start. I've checked every 3d game I have installed and none of them cause this aside from CloD.

Before I launch the game GPU-Z has my core clock at 400 mhz and memory at 1250 mhz. At launch the core stays at 400 and the memory drops to 900. CCC will not force 3d clock speeds, (not mine, anyway. Cat 11.3) so I forced them with ATI Tray Tools. With the core at 850 and the memory at 1250, suddenly the game is quite playable. There is no overheating. Without the proper speeds set, game play is jittery and slow.

This seems to be an issue with CloD and ATI, although I read on here somewhere that at least one guy with a GTX 580 was having this trouble too.

Flanker35M
04-24-2011, 11:30 AM
S!

Filed a feedback form to AMD about issues in CoD. Namely about the blue lines in horizon, flickering shadows, SSAO performance, clocks not revving up etc. So at least they should be aware of it now, but the more detailed reports the better :)

jg27_mc
04-24-2011, 12:25 PM
S!

Filed a feedback form to AMD about issues in CoD. Namely about the blue lines in horizon, flickering shadows, SSAO performance, clocks not revving up etc. So at least they should be aware of it now, but the more detailed reports the better :)

+1

JG14_Jagr
04-24-2011, 06:15 PM
The good thing about this issue is that it appears that it should be a simple fix, and once done those guys that have been suffering should see a massive improvement..and it can be worked around now apparently by forcing the clockspeed..