PDA

View Full Version : Cod sound engine

jf1981
04-23-2011, 11:53 AM
Hi,

I feel the sound could be improved much, listen to the powerful sound and the whistle of Supermarine Spitfire.
Supermarine Spitfire low passes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYS-NzWkv3o&feature=related)
There's a high pitch whistling and a smoothly coming engine machine transforming into a powerfull lound very fastly disappearing Merlin engine sound.

May all CoD sounds be improved to immerse the pilot into the sim in a medium future ?

Supermarine Spitfire low passes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKhnHtDIMYM&feature=related)
On that one, one understands what some meant by saying that under those years, the Spitfire distinguished itself by its wonderful sound.

F4U Corsais (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQxb-V-rZqA&feature=related)
Listen F4U Corsair's whistling at 1'40. They start to do this with high speed.

Thanks,

J-F

Ali Fish
04-23-2011, 11:58 AM
i'm confident in saying that the sound has not been finished. its the old il2 sounds used as a placeholder (fingers crossed)

if i hear that in game by the end of development i think i might just wet myself. lol

jf1981
04-23-2011, 12:01 PM
i'm confident in saying that the sound has not been finished. its the old il2 sounds used as a placeholder (fingers crossed)

if i hear that in game by the end of development i think i might just wet myself. lol

Lol, it's my opinion too.

BigPickle
04-23-2011, 03:46 PM
plus the spitfire in your first video is a griffen engined, the second is a Mk9 or possibly Mk14. Both sound very different to the early Mk1's.
Corsair's are not in this game anyhow.

Lololopoulos
04-23-2011, 05:23 PM
can anyone tell me why is it so hard to make realistic engine sound? I don't know much about computer programming and game designing.

Strike
04-23-2011, 05:38 PM
can anyone tell me why is it so hard to make realistic engine sound? I don't know much about computer programming and game designing.

Well normally most games have a set of sounds for each engine:

The constant running sound of an engine is usually a looping soundfile where the end of the soundfile sounds similar to the start of the soundfile to eliminate a weird "pause" or "transition" between the loops.

Most planes usually have one idle sound, one low RPM sound, one mid RPM sound and one high RPM sound. Then add the individual startup sounds, shutdown, engine damage and internal cockpit sound.

Then you can easily decide at what ingame ENGINE RPM the idle sound fades out and the low RPM SOUND fades in, creating a smoother transition. Even better, you can alter the sounds "pitch" as you increase throttle to make it sound like the idle sound is getting "faster" towards the low rpm sound sample.

Now to make it more advanced you can add the doppler effect to the entire sound set, to make the engine sound a LOT louder and high pitch coming towards you, then a lot lower and low pitch going away from you.

If you add another sound set that fades in at a certain distance from the aircraft, you can create an "ambient" sound for the plane. (The plane sounds very different standing 10 meters away from it when you can hear every strike of the piston and swish of the prop blades compared to if you stand say 1 km away from it and it's just passing by.) The sounds become a lot more distorted/muffled and only the low-frequency sounds have enough energy to travel all the way over to your location.

Now if this sounds complicated... that's about as advanced as it gets in IL-2 1946. I've done some soundmods myself and the basic parameters are what sounds are played at what Distance and at what RPM setting the looping sound is changed at.

I hope we can see more advanced dynamic sound in ClOD. Perhaps what angles what sounds are heard at, what distances sounds are heard at, and more importantly stuff like misfires, engine damage, overstress, divesounds etc.. Even wind conditions should indeed distort sounds so that the volume and definition of sound is more variable and pulsating in accordance with windgusts :)

Ok?

Redroach
04-23-2011, 05:43 PM
So how does one modify a canned sound sample so when you change prop pitch, mixture, etc you the get the aural effects of the dips in rpm, misfires, pinging, etc?

CoD sound engine is very dynamic in response to the engine and would be very hard to build with straight samples. We can't have both worlds, a infinitely dynamically responding engine or real sound samples.

Yeah. I'd definately take current, dynamic engine sounds (with less bugs, though :rolleyes: ) over the ever-so-cool-sounding, 'realistic' engine sounds.

Oh, and we really needed *another* thread about this... it's been about time!

hiro
04-23-2011, 08:15 PM
I know a sound engineer and the stuff he can pull with right equipment is amazing. A good studio can make non singer sound awesome. It was funny one time we recorded waves at the beach and made it sound like it was in a concert hall. The Doppler efx is good enough to fool me. But good engineers and studio time plus getting a good sample is serious money

Ralith
04-24-2011, 01:29 AM

Why don't you tell us why it should be easy?

JG14_Jagr
04-24-2011, 03:44 AM

The biggest problem is you are trying to accurately replicate something that people have an incorrect memory of. When you think of a Spitfire engine, you think of the video where you were OUTSIDE listening to the engine.. inside it sounds completely different..

Its the same with Tracers and Properller disk... we have memories burned in from years of watching video.. and the technical aspect of the video creates falso images (tracers wobble due to vibration etc.)

The question is do you want reality, or do you want what you THINK it looks and sounds like..

All that being said I think the sounds need work.. but again.. if its a stable place holder I'd put it on the list for later work...

JG1_Luckystrike
04-24-2011, 08:58 AM
it is possible to change the sounds now....

sigur_ros
04-24-2011, 09:11 AM
The biggest problem is you are trying to accurately replicate something that people have an incorrect memory of. When you think of a Spitfire engine, you think of the video where you were OUTSIDE listening to the engine.. inside it sounds completely different..

There are videos of sound from inside... and is completely different to CloD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2MRxmfoeWE

jf1981
04-24-2011, 10:20 AM
Thanks for posting that. Feel the constant rpm unit working, nice engineering as early as those years. Wind noise too in the latest low pass.

DB605
04-24-2011, 10:52 AM
Real Messerschmitt onboard sounds (G2), take off @ 5:15: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50JXKxMLyUc
Again, completely different to cod sounds...

addman
04-24-2011, 10:56 AM
That 605 clip...ooooh yeeeeaaah...:)

Strike
04-24-2011, 11:15 AM
Real Messerschmitt onboard sounds (G2), take off @ 5:15: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50JXKxMLyUc
Again, completely different to cod sounds...

Now let's be completely fair here....

If you were to fly a 109, or spitfire without a headset of some sort or helmet, you would go insane or damage your hearing. The sound inside a cockpit of a fighter is just too loud to be able to sustain it for hours. I think also that the effect of wearing headsets will not only dampen the volume, but also mask some of the higer pitch sounds, removing some of the so-called "fidelity" from it. If you were listening to that 109CD sample with real-life cockpit volume for a 1 hour sortie, you'd be bleeding from your ears or begging it to stop by the time you shut down the engine. When working around the F-16's we're adviced to use both earplugs AND headsets/helmets both to dampen the noise of the intercom and the intake whine. I'd go completely nuts without both sets of hearing protection. Yes I know the f-16 is not a WWII fighter, but still, flying those machines without hearing protection must be highly uncomfortable.

So can we agree that to acheive a "realistic" cockpit engine sound, we need to take into account that the sound is "filtered" a little through the headset?

Trumper
04-24-2011, 11:16 AM
That 605 clip...ooooh yeeeeaaah...:)
A couple of videos for you to watch.I took them so apologies for non BBC quality,hope you like them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKoe3fAI_bQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQQj1boxAbg&feature=related

jf1981
04-24-2011, 12:17 PM
[...]
So can we agree that to acheive a "realistic" cockpit engine sound, we need to take into account that the sound is "filtered" a little through the headset?

We should use the sound at loudest as speaker permits and use the headset, that would be realistic, but drive the neighboor crazy ...

I assume a filtered noise engine would be great. Eventually an option to let one the choice for filtered or unfiltered, which basically should be high pitch filtered ? Is this right ? But I think this is either dreaming or too soon to ask for.

Thanks for the 109 engine vid, great one. At the end, the wind noise get very lound, really superb.

J-F

jf1981
04-24-2011, 12:31 PM
A couple of videos for you to watch.I took them so apologies for non BBC quality,hope you like them.
[Video links cut]

Thanks for those ones, incredible. 109 passes are quite awful too.
Hear that whistling particularly at 6'00" (BF 109 Black 6 practice display pt1).
The low pass at 3'30" (BF 109 Black 6 Practice pt2) is awful too.

Regards,
J-F

DB605
04-24-2011, 02:35 PM
Now let's be completely fair here....

Of course. But i'm not talking about filtering here, you can put your fingers on your ears and then listen to messerschmitt clip again. STILL completely different
to cod sounds right? I don't mean to be rude, i just try to highlight my point with my "not so perfect" english :)
But i believe we will have sound mods quite soon so i not that worried after all...

whoarmongar
04-24-2011, 03:16 PM
Ok. The onboard sounds of the aircraft would be muted, and as for exact sounds for individual aircraft/engines probably beyond the developers but, what we all can agree on is the sounds of the original aircraft are evocative and distinctive, something they are not in COD.
The sound in COD is awfull. It feels very much like an afterthought or a temporary solution.Its not just the engine sounds either. That constant sound you get inside the cockpit even when the engine isnt running or the plane moving is horrible. just sloppy.
I got hit by flak in the wing and heard nothing,no bangs no sound at all.
If I land and switch off the engine I would like to hear the "ticking" of the cooling engine, that little thing would make my day. Its all about attention to detail, all these little things done correctly would add up to the whole experience of COD being great.
To be honest my greatest worry is the steam anticheat system will ruin the game for modders and lead to severe delays in any added improvements. This game has been so long in development, needs so many improvements and patches and then with the emphasis on addon packs etc to generate cashflow, the exclusion of the mod community how long will we have to wait for a comprehensive redoing of the in game sounds ? My guess is forever.