PDA

View Full Version : Eyefinity (for ATI owners)

sfmadmax
04-22-2011, 01:52 AM
So, I'm on week # 2 with my brand new ati 6970. I only have 2 monitors and was reading about eyefinity. So just for the heck of it, I grouped my screens together and launched CoD .

Has anyone tried this yet? Wow.. The immersion is 10 fold when you have everything on high and you got the game going on two screens. So perhaps in a few months i may pick up a 3rd screen. It looks mighty good.

Just fyi, in that sort of config I take it's probably best to pick up a 2nd ati card for X-Fire so you can keep consistent 50+ FPS while driving 3 screens.

However it's really sweet to see the the future has in store!

CBA_Bludawg
04-22-2011, 03:19 AM
im running 3 and stay around 80 with one card, i just hooked them up yesterday but 22" is to big after an hr my eyes were hurting and starting to get a headache.

bulldoguk
04-22-2011, 04:31 AM
So, I'm on week # 2 with my brand new ati 6970. I only have 2 monitors and was reading about eyefinity. So just for the heck of it, I grouped my screens together and launched CoD .

Has anyone tried this yet? Wow.. The immersion is 10 fold when you have everything on high and you got the game going on two screens. So perhaps in a few months i may pick up a 3rd screen. It looks mighty good.

Just fyi, in that sort of config I take it's probably best to pick up a 2nd ati card for X-Fire so you can keep consistent 50+ FPS while driving 3 screens.

However it's really sweet to see the the future has in store!

I run 3 24' HD screens in eyefinity with crossfire 2 ati 8550's and it is the way to go for flight sims they are still working on crossfire support for COD but it will come in time and you should be ready it's worth it good luck

Psycho_Ch!cken
04-24-2011, 07:00 AM
I'm waiting for the full screen fix first to stop my 6950's from underclocking. I'm also waiting for the horrendous input lag to be fixed because it makes the game nigh unplayable.

beazil
04-25-2011, 06:05 AM
Running three screens with Nvidia Surround. Looking forward to playing 3d when they can get the game properly supported. S!

Ataros
04-25-2011, 07:23 AM
I'm waiting for the full screen fix first to stop my 6950's from underclocking. I'm also waiting for the horrendous input lag to be fixed because it makes the game nigh unplayable.

Use ATT profile to set desired clocks.

There is no input lag for me since I achieved 40+ fps with vsynk and tripple buffers set ON in ATT. You may also try setting Flip Queue Size to Undefined or to 0.

etzi
04-25-2011, 07:39 AM

There is no "underclocking" with 11.3 CCC and 6950 :rolleyes:

The problem sometimes happens too, if the gpu clock is set to high.

Troll2k
04-25-2011, 07:44 AM
Ataros:

I thought triple buffer was for open GL.Not Direct X.

Psycho_Ch!cken
04-25-2011, 05:44 PM
There is no "underclocking" with 11.3 CCC and 6950
Yes, there is. CloD's "pseudo fullscreen" is simply borderless windowed mode. The drivers therefore see that as a 2D app instead of a 3D one and only run the 6950 at 500MHz rather than its full 800MHz. Ataros is correct in his statement that you can use ATT or even CCC to force the full clock speed, however that's an unacceptable solution as far as I'm concerned. Fortunately, the current beta patch resolves this problem by implementing true fullscreen during gameplay. Menus are still borderless windowed mode but that's fine, I don't need high performance for that.

Regarding input lag, "Flip Queue Size" (aka pre-rendered frames) only applies when vsync is enabled, vsync itself being a direct cause of input lag (due to delaying rendering in order to sync with monitor refresh). Normally I'm a twitch gamer (shooters and such) so I never use vsync specifically to avoid any lag at all, so adjusting that option will make no difference for me. The problem manifests more strongly at low framerates, but even at 70fps over the channel, there's still a nasty delay in everything from firing, to field of view adjustments, to the simple act of moving the mouse cursor. Until that's resolved, I won't be spending a lot of time in game. It's just too difficult to react to enemy maneuvers when everything you do is delayed.

On topic, Eyefinity isn't particularly well supported at this stage. The controls to change the field of view aren't particularly intuitive and the presets assume a single monitor. It certainly looks nice though. It works quite well with the screens in portrait/vertical alignment, but you don't get the extra visibility off each side. On the other hand, all those extra pixels sure do make identification of other aircraft much easier (with tags off). Personally though, I'm preferable to having extra peripheral vision.

I do look forward to the lag problems being fixed and also Crossfire support so I can get my second card doing something besides idling. Eyefinity + TrackIR makes for one immersive game. ;)

etzi
04-25-2011, 06:02 PM
Yes, there is. CloD's "pseudo fullscreen" is simply borderless windowed mode. The drivers therefore see that as a 2D app instead of a 3D one and only run the 6950 at 500MHz rather than its full 800MHz. Ataros is correct in his statement that you can use ATT or even CCC to force the full clock speed, however that's an unacceptable solution as far as I'm concerned. Fortunately, the current beta patch resolves this problem by implementing true fullscreen during gameplay. Menus are still borderless windowed mode but that's fine, I don't need high performance for that.

And why i have no downclock to 500MHz? I have full clockspeeds since the release of the game.

_79_dev
04-25-2011, 11:54 PM
~S~

And now ladies and gentelmans imagine having 102inches of screen in front of your nose...

Psycho_Ch!cken
04-26-2011, 07:31 AM
And why i have no downclock to 500MHz? I have full clockspeeds since the release of the game.
Just lucky? Just because you had no problems, does not mean that problems do not exist.

Exhibit A: http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=19807
Exhibit B: http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=20873

And now ladies and gentelmans imagine having 102inches of screen in front of your nose...
I presume you mean a 102" tv? No thanks. What good is a giant screen without a decent resolution to match? ;)

EDIT: Really, for Eyefinity to be viable, the horizontal FoV needs to be calculated dynamically based on aspect ratio. Presently it's assumed that everyone's using a 4:3 aspect ratio and naturally that doesn't play nice for ultrawide configurations. Even using the progressive FoV adjust controls, that's changing the entire FoV instead of just horizontal which gives you too much vertical FoV and a whole lot of stretching to go with it. What needs to be added is a calculation that changes the actual values of "30, 60 and 90" degrees to new ones that give the same level of apparent "zoom" but take into account the extra width of the screen. Something like:

FoV to Use = (ATan2((Tan((OriginalFoV * Pi) / 360.0) * (AspectRatio / BaseAspectRatio)), 1) * 360.0) / Pi

Where OriginalFoV = 30/60/90, AspectRatio = whatever you're using (resolution width/height) and BaseAspectRatio = 0.75 (4/3)

So everytime you hit a key to change the FoV (del, end, page down) rather than just setting 30/60/90 as it currently does, it should run that calculation (or something like it) and then set the FoV to the resultant value instead.