PDA

View Full Version : PC Gamer Review

ECV56_LeChuck
04-21-2011, 06:43 PM
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/04/20/il-2-sturmovik-cliffs-of-dover-review-227/

It's a "hope" one! =D

Lixma
04-21-2011, 07:05 PM
When Joseph ‘Mutt’ Summers landed after test-flying the prototype Spitfire for the first time, he was so impressed he told Supermarine’s engineers “Don’t touch anything.”
Isn't this a bit of myth-making?

My understanding was that the remark "Don't touch anything" referred to the prototype's engine or systems or something.

As for the review it's fair enough.

zipper
04-21-2011, 07:13 PM
... or, maybe, trim?

ParaB
04-21-2011, 07:21 PM
I doubt IL2:CoD will get better reviews from any of the more serious sources.

The basics are there, but in its current state there's just too much unfinished, buggy or simply disappointing content.

To be fair: the last two patches have already improved much with regards to performance and technical problems, so I'm hopeful that in time CoD will mature into a truly excellent flightsim.

speculum jockey
04-21-2011, 07:26 PM
I doubt IL2:CoD will get better reviews from any of the more serious sources.

The basics are there, but in its current state there's just too much unfinished, buggy or simply disappointing content.

To be fair: the last two patches have already improved much with regards to performance and technical problems, so I'm hopeful that in time CoD will mature into a truly excellent flightsim.

There is no doubt in my mind that a year's work on it will polish it into a really smooth, first rate product. What worries me is that they don't make enough money to keep the support going. With the reviews we've had so far, I can't see sales being spectacular with regards to the casual simmers.

bw_wolverine
04-21-2011, 07:26 PM
This sounds like a much more knowledgable review than the Gamespot one.

It very much reads like it was written by someone who knows what they're talking about with regard to flight sims. Obviously someone who mention's A2A's Wings of Power stuff for FSX is a hardcore simmer :)

Rattlehead
04-21-2011, 07:57 PM
This sounds like a much more knowledgable review than the Gamespot one.

PC Gamer are more in tune with PC development and the challenges it brings. I wouldn't be surprised if many of the staff haven't played flight sims extensively, and thus can speak with much more insight than friggin' Gamespot.

Doc_uk
04-21-2011, 08:19 PM
Yes it is a hard but fair review,
BUT, ive seen What 2 patches can do, and with more to come well, who knows:grin:
regards
Doc

Heliocon
04-21-2011, 08:40 PM
PC gamer articles are normally very well informed and passionate. They are also one of the only reviewers I would put any stock into.

smink1701
04-21-2011, 08:49 PM
It is what it is. Some nice pieces but the whole is lacking.

Chivas
04-21-2011, 08:50 PM
The Eastern release netted enough monies to keep the game alive for now, but COD couldn't stand another bad publicity hit, so the Western release was delayed even further. The developers have made some major strides in getting the game to run, but there is still alot of work required if they hope the Western release will have a more positive response.

That said I'm sure COD will evolve into a great sim, if the game sells enough to warrant further work. The next few months are critical, and hopefully the developer will get thru this intact.

baronWastelan
04-21-2011, 08:55 PM
Pretty well written review, 72 is a good score. Things only get better from here!!! :D

Heliocon
04-22-2011, 01:09 AM
The Eastern release netted enough monies to keep the game alive for now, but COD couldn't stand another bad publicity hit, so the Western release was delayed even further. The developers have made some major strides in getting the game to run, but there is still alot of work required if they hope the Western release will have a more positive response.

That said I'm sure COD will evolve into a great sim, if the game sells enough to warrant further work. The next few months are critical, and hopefully the developer will get thru this intact.

umm - it really cant get a huge amount worse then it currently is. Incase you havent noticed the internet allows communication irrespective of geography. As far as ratings are concerned a euro release more or less = US release. If it was just in russia that would be a different situation though.