PDA

View Full Version : Taxing?

BigPickle
04-20-2011, 04:05 PM
How is it done, some aircraft like the Hurricane, Stuka and most others I have to be honest, seem impossible to taxi around I use left & right brakes to help but it seems i can only turn the aircraft so far left or right then it just straightens up.

Where the heck am i going wrong?
Also how do i stop the aircraft from rotating when i spawn?

Sauf
04-20-2011, 08:56 PM
Are you using rudder? I use mainly rudder and touch the brakes only when i want to tighten the turn.

BigPickle
04-21-2011, 08:05 AM
Are you using rudder? I use mainly rudder and touch the brakes only when i want to tighten the turn.

You serious? :grin: yes im using rudder :-P

reflected
04-21-2011, 08:11 AM
I was wondering the same, BigPickle!

I guess it's the wind? Because sometimes it's relatively easy to turn, sometimes it's impossible. I guess it's also the wind that turns your kite into it.

Very annoying...

BigPickle
04-21-2011, 08:32 AM
yeah as dodgy are "spawn parked" is, its something i like to do and this problem makes it impossible at times

Sauf
04-21-2011, 09:33 AM
You serious? :grin: yes im using rudder :-P

my bad mate, but you didnt even mention rudder in your first post and theres a lot of new pilots about nowdays.

Blackdog_kt
04-21-2011, 11:54 AM
To taxi with brakes, you must first see what kind of brakes your aircraft has because that's the way CoD models it as well.

In a hurricane or spit the real aircraft has one universal activator lever for both brakes on the grip of the stick. The rudder bar is then connected to a pressure valve that can regulate more pressure to one of the brakes. So, the brake switch is one and the regulatory valve is "downstream" along the pneumatic circuit.

In short, to apply differential brakes you need to use the key you mapped to the "brakes" command and then turn the rudders. If you have a rudder pedal set with toe brakes they will not work for the RAF fighters, you need to map a separate "brakes" command and use that in conjunction with pressing your rudder pedals just like you would in the air.

It's exactly the opposite in the Luftwaffe aircraft, you have two completely independent toe brake. Left brake - left turn, right brake - right turn, both brakes - normal braking with no turn. You can see this in action if you press the key for normal braking and move your camera to look at your pedals in the sim, you'll see that both toe brakes are being depressed.

But what about differential braking? Well, if you try to press the "brakes" key and apply rudder it will apply braking on both wheels and no differential braking will occur at all.

Since the real aircraft had separate toe brakes on the rudder pedals, you need to either use a similar function on your pedals (if you have any) or map two separate keys for "brakes left" and "brakes right" (if you use a twist-grip stick and you don't have pedals).

Long story short, all controls work in CoD the way they did in the real aircraft. If something is not working check to see what kind of system the real aircraft had. Chances are that in most cases if something is not working as expected, the reason is that it didn't work that way in the real aircraft.

335th_GRAthos
04-21-2011, 12:57 PM
I am sorry Blackdog, I got a bit confused.

Can you test and confirm that
Left Full Brake / Right Full Brake keypress is working with Bf109 ?
Left Full Brake / Right Full Brake keypress is working with Spit/Hurri ?

Is rudder necessary as well or can it be ommitted?

~S~

BigPickle
04-21-2011, 02:05 PM
my bad mate, but you didnt even mention rudder in your first post and theres a lot of new pilots about nowdays.

LOL it made me laugh and made a annoyin bug funny :grin: