PDA

View Full Version : Can I install CoD on more than 1 PC?

klem
04-18-2011, 12:42 PM
I've seen this discussed but don't really know the answer.

Can I install CoD on my Laptop as well as my DeskTop so that I can build missions on the laptop?
Can I install the CoD -server on my laptop to use it as a server?

What I don't know is whether Steam will allow the game to run for combat or mission building from different PCs with only one connection at a time and will it see the server as a permissible second instance of the game so that I can host on the laptop and play on the other?

Any official response on that?

JG14_Jagr
04-18-2011, 01:47 PM
I would assume that to be no, but I don't know that for sure.

klem
04-19-2011, 12:05 PM
I would assume that to be no, but I don't know that for sure.

Thanks Jagr,

If its No, what is all the talk about using different PCs to run my one copy of the game via Steam?

Conte Zero
04-19-2011, 12:22 PM
Very interested about it too... Im about to change PC, but my actual PC already runs COD quite decently, and I suppose in the future will run it well after another couple patches

Than I would love to play some LAN duels on my 2 PC's, but Im not sure if I can do it with ONE copy of the game

klem
04-19-2011, 12:59 PM
Very interested about it too... Im about to change PC, but my actual PC already runs COD quite decently, and I suppose in the future will run it well after another couple patches

Than I would love to play some LAN duels on my 2 PC's, but Im not sure if I can do it with ONE copy of the game

I was thinking more that Steam would let me play it in one location/PC, anywhere I like, not multiple simultaneous users. I'm sure that would offend against the EULA.

ekhbreke
04-19-2011, 02:44 PM
Yes Gentlemen, I would like a reply to this question too. In fact I would like to know for sure that if I buy this game I can install it on 2 of the computers in mzy home so I can play LAN games with my son.
Thank you

SEE
04-19-2011, 03:21 PM
I'm new to Steam but having installed the game initially on my XP partition then adding a Win7 64 partition and installing to that I found that the original XP install would no longer work even in 'off line' mode. I had various pop up Steam warnings and options but got the distinct impression that whatever info steam holds my Win7 install would have been automatically de-activated - I wasn't prepared to take the risk so deleted it from XP in the end.

klem
04-22-2011, 08:01 AM
BUMP!

Anyone from 1C/Ubi out there?

322Sqn_Dusty
04-22-2011, 02:28 PM
Isn't CoD linked to your Steam account by cloud? If so the game could run on more systems with the legal key of your account. Not sure if it works this way though.

flyingblind
04-22-2011, 06:16 PM
As I understand it you can run your steam account and copy of CloD on a number of computers, I'm not sure if it is unlimited though. I have Steam and Clod installed on both drives of a dual Windows 7 install and boot system. When installing the second copies Steam saw it as a new computer and emailed me a new authorisation code.

322Sqn_Dusty
04-22-2011, 07:10 PM
Just a new activation you mean? Uses same key i assume.

klem
05-09-2011, 08:02 AM
Sorry guys I should have come back to this.

I d/loaded Steam onto another PC, logged into my account, selected the game and it d/loaded ok and emailed me a verification code to enter. Voila! Working on two other PCs now but of course you can only use one at a time.

322Sqn_Dusty
05-10-2011, 01:37 PM
So running a dedicated server next to your own game needs 2 copies of the game bought and installed?

klem
05-11-2011, 07:02 PM
So running a dedicated server next to your own game needs 2 copies of the game bought and installed?

I don't know.

Could the server be identified as a different programme?

Input from 1C would be nice. Or perhaps ask/look on the Ubi forum?

WheelChair58
07-20-2011, 05:31 AM
I read that you can indeed run it at the same time on 2 machines. I will try to find the article where I read it before I say much more though to be sure. But I am not sure how to work it through STEAM?

Wheels

EXOWill
07-26-2011, 01:04 PM
On Steam if you want to play on 2 machines for LAN you have to have 2 seperate accounts, thus you will have to purchase the game for each account. However, you can log into any computer on your steam account and download any of your steam games and play them. But, you cannot log into your account on another machine if your account is open on another.