PDA

View Full Version : Merlin cuts out and will not refire.

smokincrater
04-17-2011, 10:50 PM
When pulling negative g the engine cuts out, no complaint. But when you restore level flight and positive g the engine will contuine to splutter and will not restart. Any suggestions or is this a bug?

Redroach
04-18-2011, 01:15 AM
that's the whole magic of neg. g-cutout, isn't it? Otherwise you could just as well pull neg. g as your heart desires if you can afford the temporary performance loss.

bug, lol!

Fltlt_HardBall
04-18-2011, 01:33 AM
Most of these aircraft had to be started on the ground using ground crew and external equipment. That means that if your engine cuts out completely while you're flying then your aircraft is effectively a glider. You'll have to do a dead-stick landing or ditch.

I don't know if it's do-able in CoD, but restarts were sometimes possible in these aircraft if you could use the wind resistance of the air flowing through the propeller to keep it turning, then it would sometimes fire back up again. (Somebody with the pilot's manual from the Collector's Edition could maybe post us a restart procedure??)

The best bet with these old girls is to treat them gently, and wait for Miss Schilling to bring out her "orifice mod" :)

smokincrater
04-18-2011, 01:45 AM
Speaking a as motor mechanic the engine should refire after the float level rights itself while postive G is restored and the correct mixture restored. 250 rpm should be fast enough to restart a warm engine. 250 rpm is easliy gained be putting the stick down and wind milling the propeller. Pilots had engines stop on them this way and restarted them this way.

TeeJay82
04-18-2011, 05:57 AM
Just remember to put the pitch back up to 100% so the wind has a easier time turning the engine

smokincrater
04-18-2011, 06:04 AM
Just remember to put the pitch back up to 100% so the wind has a easier time turning the engine

It wont let me refire engine. The game thinks it has stopped and you need to land to restart it. which did not happen during real life because you imagine the useless nature of the engine if this happened everytime you pulled negative gee.

skouras
04-18-2011, 06:36 AM
i dive once with throttle back
and the engine fires up again

smokincrater
04-18-2011, 10:53 PM
I`ll try it.

Voyager
04-19-2011, 07:52 AM
Speaking a as motor mechanic the engine should refire after the float level rights itself while postive G is restored and the correct mixture restored. 250 rpm should be fast enough to restart a warm engine. 250 rpm is easliy gained be putting the stick down and wind milling the propeller. Pilots had engines stop on them this way and restarted them this way.

Just to throw out a cross reference for that:
Pelican's Perch #7: Run That Fuel Tank Dry! (http://www.avweb.com/news/pelican/182044-1.html)

A specific FAA regulation he cites in the article is:

FAR 23.955(e) Multiple fuel tanks. For reciprocating engines that are supplied with fuel from more than one tank, if engine power loss becomes apparent due to fuel depletion from the tank selected, it must be possible after switching to any full tank, in level flight, to obtain 75 percent maximum continuous power on that engine in not more than -
(1) 10 seconds for naturally aspirated single engine airplanes;
(2) 20 seconds for turbocharged single engine airplanes, provided that 75 percent maximum continuous naturally aspirated power is regained within 10 seconds; or
(3) 20 seconds for multiengine airplanes.

FAR 25.951(a) Each fuel system must be constructed and arranged to ensure a flow of fuel at a rate and pressure established for proper engine and auxiliary power unit functioning under each likely operating condition, including any maneuver for which certification is requested and during which the engine or auxiliary power unit is permitted to be in operation.
(b) Each fuel system must be arranged so that any air which is introduced into the system will not result in -
(1) Power interruption for more than 20 seconds for reciprocating engines; or
(2) Flameout for turbine engines.

smokincrater
04-19-2011, 08:29 AM
Interesting. I don`t think RJ and Sidney had FAA certification in mind when they designed the Spitfire and the Hurricane but interesting none the less.

Moggy
04-19-2011, 09:14 AM
The Merlin should take 10 seconds to recover according to the RAF Pilots' Note General from 1943. Similar to the recover times posted for a naturally aspirated engine from Voyager's post...although the Merlin isn't naturally aspirated.

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpost.php?p=263432&postcount=92

Koyan
04-19-2011, 11:50 AM
Had this happen too once. The engine restarted however with throttle back and ignition (i key).

skouras
04-19-2011, 01:44 PM
Had this happen too once. The engine restarted however with throttle back and ignition (i key).

yeap i forgot to mention about the ignition
it would be great to use the ignition inside the cockpit and not some key commands:-P

Voyager
04-19-2011, 03:45 PM
yeap i forgot to mention about the ignition
it would be great to use the ignition inside the cockpit and not some key commands:-P

All ignition is it getting the crank going, getting the spark plugs going, and making sure the engine has the right fuel/air mixture. If the prop is already turning, the alternator is still going, and the spark plugs are still sparking, once the fuel air mixture goes back to burnable, what else do you have to do to start the engine?