PDA

View Full Version : bf-109 Convergence

Krähe
04-17-2011, 10:48 PM
Hello, am wondering what distance is most effective for the cowl mounted guns and the prefered ammunition for this a/c.

Thank you.

JG14_Jagr
04-21-2011, 05:37 AM
With cowl mounted guns the convergence (horizontal) can be set to long ranges as the weapons are mounted in a narrow track and the grouping will be tight regardless of range. For wing weapons its must more critical. If you set the outsode .303's on a spitfire to have a lateral convergence of 100M at more than 200M they will be wide than the wing tips of a 109E

In practice pilots did one of two approaches,, good pilots/shooters usually Point Harmonized their weapons. All the guns were doped to hit the same point in space at a certain range.. if you got that range and got fire on the target it wuld be devastating. Most pilots did an Area (BOX) Harmonization where pairs of guns were doped to impact in a certain area so the effect was a wider hit pattern It was more difficult to get a quick devastating kill, but it greatly increased the chances of getting hits.

Krähe
04-21-2011, 09:22 AM
ty Jagr, so if I underdstand correctly I just set the cannons to my prefered range and leave cowl mg's at 400 or so and all will be ok. again ty

Buzzer
04-26-2011, 05:50 PM
Where do you adjust the convergence anyway?

The spit is set up with a convergence way too far imho.
Getting close to the enemy and spraying the gun it is impossible to hit as the bullets just fly over each wing. I want convergence of 150ish...not 600ish.

Guess convergence must be set before take-off on the ground...and is not adjustable in air(?). Just found the sight-distance in-cockpit, not helping the convergence though.
So where/how to set it?

SEE
04-26-2011, 06:10 PM
Each gun can have its Horizontal/Vertical convergence set (as well as loading your preferred ordinanace for each gun) by going into the Options - PLane - Loadout (bottom right of screen) - Guns menu. Press 'Save',name your profile and hit OK on each screen as you navigate back to the main menu. Your ac as will now use those convergence settings. Repeat for all ac that you fly.

Buzzer
04-26-2011, 11:12 PM
Ok, tnx.

Still no tracers for SpitIa and II though...