PDA

View Full Version : Ai planes are nearly unvulnerable

JG1_Luckystrike
04-16-2011, 03:38 PM
Ai planes are nearly unvulnerable

I tried unlimited ammo and all possible bullet types but that didnt changed much.

I set the ai planes to "rookie"

For shooting down a plane you always have to kill the pilot first.

I´ve tried to shoot on all different parts of the plane... the engine, the wings...

You cant shoot away the gear of the stuka!

Is it possible to increase vulnerability of the planes ??

Please help!!!

CH_RoadDogg
04-16-2011, 04:04 PM
In the spits and hurricanes I use a mix of Incendiary DeWilde and armor piercing and have no problem shooting down planes.

JG14_Jagr
04-19-2011, 04:41 AM
Remember just because the plane doesn't disintegrate doesnt mean it isnt going down.

SEE
04-19-2011, 08:57 PM
What convergence are you using, what distance are you firing from and what is your AoA? Stuka gear drops away if sufficiently damaged .

Eklund89
04-19-2011, 09:06 PM
Learn how to shoot (convergance and distance). I have no problems at all.
I dont understand all ppl whining about problems that dont exist. There is a ARCADE mode for noobs. use it till you learn somthing.

matsher
04-19-2011, 10:54 PM
Learn how to shoot (convergance and distance). I have no problems at all.
I dont understand all ppl whining about problems that dont exist. There is a ARCADE mode for noobs. use it till you learn somthing.

Easy there bucko. Thats a bit harsh.
One might think you never had to learn to shoot like the rest of us.
Go easy on the guy...

@ Luckystrike - If you want to change your name from Luckystrike to TheHammer
in the quickest time possible, here are one or two hard earned tips.

1. Its not only about correct distance and correct convergence. They are important,
however there are a few more things you should try if you want to have increased effect.

2. Correct positioning is VERY important. It is near impossible to down a plane
when you are directly behind it, especially with rifle shot. The bullets just go
through the empty fuselage and loose too much energy before they can get
to the vulnerable bits.

So whenever you can try not to shoot from directly behind, try get into an
off-centre firing position, and if you can, off-centre above or off-centre below
the target. The more off-set your attack angle, the more effect you'll have.

3. Another VERY effective tactic is to try and shoot the bugger when he is in a hi G
maneuver, if you can get a burst on target when he is turning hard, even a tiny burst
can be deadly. His wings are under heavy load and stress so even a small force
can tear them off.

If you can couple these tactics with good distance discipline you'll be an ace in no time.

Have Fun.

Skoshi Tiger
04-20-2011, 02:14 AM
Also if you are getting hits, don't just exit the game when you run out of ammo, especialy with the rifle caliber MG's sometimes it can take a few minutes for the target to surcome to it's damage.

drewpee
04-20-2011, 04:53 AM
I'm sorry if I'm harping a bit but until the damage model has been fixed blaming the lack of kills on just poor gunnery is a bit off. I can continually take out ailerons, rudders and elevates on spits without changing the way they maneuver. These are vital parts of an AC. Damage them and it should be a lot easier to make a Kill shot.
I might come of sounding like an amateur but I've been playing IL2 online with full real for a while now and have managed a reasonable Kill/Die ratio. At the moment you have to kill the pilot to be sure of bringing down a target. Some people are really good at it too. I'm not that good at at head shots so I go for easy shots then maneuver for another, voom and boom.:)

Formula88
04-20-2011, 06:34 AM
After getting the control axes set up properly I have had no problem shooting down enemy bombers and stukas from the 6 oclock position. Despite what many say 6 oclock was the most common position for engaging German bombers in the war, or any countrys bombers for that matter. Take out the tail gunner with a quick pass from above then sit on its tail and shoot an engine or wing till it comes off. The damage model is great except for when fighters keep flying like f-16s after losing an aileron or elevator.

The damage model itself is the one thing they seem to have gotten right on release. If your having trouble shooting down bombers then good, thats how it was and should be. .303's arent big rounds and the lack of HE shells means LOTS of bullets to bring down the more sturdy aircraft, unless you get lucky and break a control cable or something. Fighter aircraft on the other hand, they manuever so erratically and irrationally its damn near impossible to shoot them, luckily it only takes a few good shots to bring them down usually.

CH_RoadDogg
04-20-2011, 11:33 AM
Well there may be some issues.

Last night I shot up a 109 pretty good parts falling off of it black smoke pouring out of it.

See the canopy come off the pilot eject and I followed that plane around for like five more minutes with it flying without a pilot.

And the speed and movement of the plane was like it had no damage.

I went to outside view looking at it close up spewing smoke no canopy no pilot and it was still flying when I despawned.

I got tired of following it waiting for it to crash or somthing and I was out of ammo.

1.JaVA_Platypus
04-20-2011, 03:28 PM
Just an hour ago, I cut off a wing from a STUKA with my trusty old Hurricane. Default (limited) ammo enabled! And he had no bombs left on his body or wings.

Sorry mate, it must be your shooting. I admit that shooting aircraft down was a lot easier in Il-2 1946!

Fusek
04-20-2011, 03:40 PM
Just an hour ago, I cut off a wing from a STUKA with my trusty old Hurricane. Default (limited) ammo enabled! And he had no bombs left on his body or wings.

Sorry mate, it must be your shooting. I admit that shooting aircraft down was a lot easier in Il-2 1946!

Seconding this. All planes in the game go down pretty easily if you hit them at the right places.

And I also feel IL2's planes go down easier, but that is expected with a relatively simple DM compared to CoD. In CoD you get more kills by damaging subsystems, which takes a bit longer to take effect than explosions or bits falling off.

matsher
04-20-2011, 04:42 PM
Yes, of course it's his shooting... There's no debate about that.
However guys, there really is no point telling him he's a crappy shooter.
If you're gonna make him feel bad then do so but at least add something constructive,
The guy is ASKING for help...

Give him a few pointers from your own experience and he can then go and practice
his gunnery armed with some of the tips and tricks we've all picked up over the years.

Aren't we trying to get new pilots in the air so they can experience the same joy we have
for the series? Is not growing the community a priority for all of us if we want this series
to continue to grow...

On surface value any new il2 player reading this will go away thinking we're all a bunch
of elitist pricks. Give the guy some practical & actionable advice.

matsher
04-20-2011, 04:56 PM
Luckystrike...

You should do a little reading up on basic combat maneuvers. What I found particularly
helpful when I was in the same place you are now, was learning about lead pursuit, lag pursuit and pure pursuit. Once I started using these different techniques I was able to
get into a solid firing position much quicker and more consistantly.

Its genuinely facinating stuff to learn and apply, try it.

raaaid
04-20-2011, 07:51 PM
get close and aim for the engine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNOVmsEmyAA

SEE
04-20-2011, 08:40 PM
.....and use the right tool for the job........a Hurri......with right weapons loadout turns bomber into Fireball! Getting the right loadout in stock missions is not working though and may be the cause of your problem in single player as you are stuck with the default ones even if you have custom sets available...

http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt341/Angeloevs/hurri.jpg

Stock Single Mission Intercept Bombers over London.
DuaL core - 4gb - GTS250........hey but it works!