PDA

View Full Version : How many ghz needed?

Flyby
04-14-2011, 12:40 PM
Just a question about ghz: how many ghz is (generally) helpful for CoD? IIRC the recommended ghz in the system specs is something like 2.66(?). I see some guys running well over 4ghz (quads mostly), and wonder what the return is in terms of FPS gains, or smooth gameplay. I've got this old i7-920 (DO stepping) laying about and am wondering how much juice it will need to run CoD smoothly. As am aside, as a frequent visitor to [Hard] OCP, I see that site setting it's 920 to 3.6ghz " to remove the CPU bottleneck" when testing GPUs. I always figure our combat flight sims probably strain the CPU and GPU a bit more than the average pc games that site tests. Just my opinion.
Flyby out

b101uk
04-14-2011, 02:09 PM
I have an I7-920 @ 2.66ghz and with HT off so it only shows the physical 4 CPU cores, the game hardly taxes the first core above 50% (12.5% total) and the other cores register very little use so far and that’s with a GF GTX275

Katana1000S
04-14-2011, 02:15 PM
I'm running an I7 920 @ 4GHz and booting into stock speed of 2.66GHz shows the extra speed when over-clocked definitely helps (as you would expect) as b101UK mentions though, just now all four cores are not getting a proper workout, this is due to change with further patches though.

Flyby
04-14-2011, 04:46 PM
Thanks b101. So at 2.66 ghz your cpu's first core is hardly taxed by CoD even as the other cores show little use?
Katana, your cpu @4ghz helps over the stock clock how?. I'm not understanding what you mean in light of b101's claim that at stock speed his 920 is hardly taxed.
I'm a bit confused.
thanks,
Flyby out

Oldschool61
04-14-2011, 06:05 PM
1.21 jigawatts !!!! Be sure.

Cant believe no one has said that yet.

Katana1000S
04-14-2011, 06:21 PM
Thanks b101. So at 2.66 ghz your cpu's first core is hardly taxed by CoD even as the other cores show little use?
Katana, your cpu @4ghz helps over the stock clock how?. I'm not understanding what you mean in light of b101's claim that at stock speed his 920 is hardly taxed.
I'm a bit confused.
thanks,
Flyby out

I meant most flights sims/games in general, FSX in particular sees a big performance gain once the CPU is over-clocked.

Once IL2 is properly optimised for CPU and multi-core we should see those same sort of gains too in this sim.

EDIT: and come to think of it, IL2 CoD maxs out core one on my quad at stock speed and over-clocked ... I use a G19 keyboard with the performance meter on its LCD and can monitor core usage in real time while flying the sim.

I can only speak for myself, too many variables with different PC hardware, one obvious difference between my rig and b101's is that I'm using a GTX570.

Flyby
04-14-2011, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the clarification, Katana. I agree, there are too many variables between systems. I also agree that older sims benefit from an overclocked cpu. I think CFS3 falls into that category, as it was a cpu-hog too.

I also agree that hopefully, IL2_CoD will benefit from multi-core optimizing. In fact Luthier seems to be indicating that the results should be pretty good once optimizing is done. We'll see. Certainly we all hope that's true.
Flyby out