PDA

View Full Version : Help make my game playable

erratik
04-12-2011, 06:01 PM
Hello all

I'm having big problems with this game and hoping you can help me.

Like others, the problem I have is bad FPS drops and stutters constantly.

I've read a few threads here and many people have older systems than I do and can play the game relatively smooth with good FPS. Some even on high settings so i'm a bit confused.

Here's some things i've tried so far with very little difference and the game is still unplayable:

-every game setting (verylow, low, medium, etc...)
-clouds off
-forests off
-buildings low
-ground low
-shadows off
-flying over water (apparently better performance for some. no different to me)
-all settings in nvidia control panel to fastest performance for launcher.exe
-different AA settings off, forced and in game
-forced vsync, triple buff, etc
-disable antivirus
-Nvidia Driver 270.51

Is there anything else I can try? All I want is to be able to play the game smooth. I don't even care if graphics look crap anymore. Please help before I have a breakdown :)

This is my system:
WIN 7 x64
Asus P8P67 PRO
Intel i5-2500K @ 4.4 GHz
Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR3 1600MHz
MSI GTX 460 HAWK 1GB (overclocked little)
20" monitor 1680x1050

erratik
04-12-2011, 06:04 PM
Also I made a small video here to show how bad the performance is for me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bMxG4IpZ3E

Tone71
04-12-2011, 06:26 PM
20-30 fps seems like par for the course at present.

Seems odd that lowering settings doesn't make much difference though, especially if you were to turn off shadows, roads, lower building/land detail and amount of buildings/trees. Have you tried Kegetys mod?

b101uk
04-12-2011, 06:34 PM
The graphical futures shown in the vid don’t match with the low setting you posted, I.e. shadows, the amount of trees, building detail, roads, etc.

Have you tried defragmenting you HDD that your game is on.

Have the used ATA channels (for HDD's etc) in device manager had enable DMA under there advanced settings

Ze-Jamz
04-12-2011, 06:48 PM
Thats about what i get on a similar spec to yours...

again wait for the next patch that will hopefully use your CPU more

erratik
04-12-2011, 07:31 PM

Seems odd that lowering settings doesn't make much difference though, especially if you were to turn off shadows, roads, lower building/land detail and amount of buildings/trees. Have you tried Kegetys mod?

Hi there. You say 20-30 fps seems average but why are people with lower systems getting 60+ average?. Regardless it would be playable at 30fps constant but it dips to under 10 constantly.

Haven't tried the kegetys mod. I did read about that but assumed it was for people with lesser capable systems? anyway i'll look into that again

The graphical futures shown in the vid don’t match with the low setting you posted, I.e. shadows, the amount of trees, building detail, roads, etc.

Have you tried defragmenting you HDD that your game is on.

Have the used ATA channels (for HDD's etc) in device manager had enable DMA under there advanced settings

You are correct, that vid was recorded on default high settings. maybe I should of been clearer. What i meant was I get the same performance as in that clip regardless of the settings it seems. I could record another at very low settings and it would look the same performance wise which I find odd.

I don't defrag as I use SSD's which you don't defrag.

Thats about what i get on a similar spec to yours...

again wait for the next patch that will hopefully use your CPU more

I really hope your're right. Am just disappointed I can't play now and feel ripped off. Never had a game so badly optimised at release if i'm honest.

Peril
04-12-2011, 10:36 PM

Interesting, I get 60 ave with a much lower card BUT stutters like a bitch. If I had a 40 fps steady I'd be much happier, I only run 1280 x 800 res. I also found the 270 Nvidia drivers bogged my system down out of the game so I can't use those. I found even though the 270s helped the game FPS a little it still stuttered making it unplayable so no help really. So whilst I can gain good FPS reasonably easily I cannot stop the stutters which ruin the experience for me.

Dave3317
04-12-2011, 11:07 PM
Have you disabled aero in win 7? If i leave it on the sim stutters like hell, with it off it's very playable. The vid shows you have shadows on. I have to turn them off atm to get good fps. Also opening the canopy gives me 3-4 fps more over land. Turn mirrors off too.
Kegety's mods made mine playable when before it was a slide show, definatly do that first.

JZG_Con
04-12-2011, 11:18 PM
Use the kegetys mod..it works wonders , i was on average hitting 20-27 fps , after i installed the mod im hitting 60+ , EASY TO INSTALL

DrPepper
04-13-2011, 12:14 AM
Try this:

Create a link to task manager on your desktop. It's somewhere in the windows directory. This is so you can run as admin, because on my pc when I don't I can't change processes affinity/priority.

After the game starts up go back to the desktop, right click on task manager and run as administrator. When in task manager find launcher.exe, right click on it and set priority to real time and set affinity mask so it uses all cores except core 0.

See if that does anything, might not though... Just a thought.

CBA_Bludawg
04-13-2011, 12:48 AM
find a good resource killer and kill everything you dont need running in back ground. try uninstalling vid drivers reboot get newest drivers reboot.

could always try a reformat with fresh install with game and see if thats better

install these two mods easy to set up.
SFSMOD v1.1 (or newer) and Nossao_mod
http://www.kegetys.net/misc/

if you cant find the nossao_mod let me know via pm and i will email it to you.

install, first install the SFSMOD v1.1 (or newer) from:
and make sure it is working. Then, extract this archive to
the IL2COD directory (so you get the "nossao" dir under the game
directory). Finally use -mod=nossao commandline parameter to
enable the mod for launcher.exe.

after the two mods above i have no problems at all stuttering is all gone

JG14_Jagr
04-14-2011, 04:32 AM
Looking at the video, your settings are mot low, the trees represented are not low.. maybe your not setup the way you think you are?

erratik
04-14-2011, 01:21 PM
Have you disabled aero in win 7? If i leave it on the sim stutters like hell, with it off it's very playable. The vid shows you have shadows on. I have to turn them off atm to get good fps. Also opening the canopy gives me 3-4 fps more over land. Turn mirrors off too.
Kegety's mods made mine playable when before it was a slide show, definatly do that first.

thanks alot for this, was a big improvement. dont know how i overlooked that one.:oops:

I found out how to turn mirrors off with M key but is there a way to make them off permantly in config or something?. they're worthless to me.

was gonna try that mod but after reading luthers update this morning think i'll give it a miss and see what the patch tomorrow does :cool:

erratik
04-14-2011, 01:30 PM
find a good resource killer and kill everything you dont need running in back ground. try uninstalling vid drivers reboot get newest drivers reboot.

could always try a reformat with fresh install with game and see if thats better

install these two mods easy to set up.
SFSMOD v1.1 (or newer) and Nossao_mod
http://www.kegetys.net/misc/

if you cant find the nossao_mod let me know via pm and i will email it to you.

install, first install the SFSMOD v1.1 (or newer) from:
and make sure it is working. Then, extract this archive to
the IL2COD directory (so you get the "nossao" dir under the game
directory). Finally use -mod=nossao commandline parameter to
enable the mod for launcher.exe.

after the two mods above i have no problems at all stuttering is all gone

thanks for the link mate. i'll wait to see it the next patch friday/monday fixes anything first then if not will try that mod.

oh and about reformat...my windows is fresh install from only a couple months ago, i've only got maybe 5 games installed and keep a very tidy system so i very much doubt thats causing probs. :)

erratik
04-14-2011, 01:34 PM
Looking at the video, your settings are mot low, the trees represented are not low.. maybe your not setup the way you think you are?

emm as said earlier...

that vid was recorded on default high settings. maybe I should of been clearer.

erratik
04-14-2011, 01:38 PM
if someone can confirm... if you want to edit anything in conf.ini it's the file in documents foder and not steam folder right?

thanks