PDA

View Full Version : What to install on SSD???

jcenzano
04-12-2011, 11:29 AM
I just bought a new computer and I will have an SSD for the first time.

I would like to know what should I install on SSD in order to get the best performance. COD only, OS only, COD and OS???

The SSD is only 120GB so I have to plan ahead to get the best use I can of the SSD space.

I have also a 10000 rpm Western DIgital HDD and I don´t know if it is better to instal there the OS and COD on SSD.

thanks in advance for your tips

Clu43
04-12-2011, 01:46 PM
I would defiantly load the OS.,,and COD aswell., I just have a 90gig ssd, and have COD, DCS BS, and A-10, and FB46(4.10) all loaded on it. 20gigs left.,,with no performance decrease, definate improvement with ssd's. :) Edit.,if you don't already know., never defragment your ssd. not a wise thing to do apparently.

zoopyzook
04-12-2011, 02:18 PM
I just bought a new computer and I will have an SSD for the first time.

I would like to know what should I install on SSD in order to get the best performance. COD only, OS only, COD and OS???

The SSD is only 120GB so I have to plan ahead to get the best use I can of the SSD space.

I have also a 10000 rpm Western DIgital HDD and I don´t know if it is better to instal there the OS and COD on SSD.

thanks in advance for your tips

You will need to make sure you change your page file (virtual memory) and all temp files to your spinning platter otherwise it will kill your SSD in no time, making it run slower and slower. SSD's are brilliant for fast reads but they hate frequent writes and wipes and you will find you will have to do a diskpart wipe to get it back to full speed again.

I have a Corsair extreme 128 SSD for my OS and games and 2 Samsung spinpoint formula 3's in RAID0 for my temps/pagefiles/docs/music/everything else.

rollnloop
04-12-2011, 06:35 PM
Don't put the OS on it until you have tested your SSD as stable for one 6 months, my first SSD was broken and i spent too much time optimizing my OS for nothing.

lensman1945
04-12-2011, 07:36 PM
You will need to make sure you change your page file (virtual memory) and all temp files to your spinning platter otherwise it will kill your SSD in no time, making it run slower and slower. SSD's are brilliant for fast reads but they hate frequent writes and wipes and you will find you will have to do a diskpart wipe to get it back to full speed again.

I have a Corsair extreme 128 SSD for my OS and games and 2 Samsung spinpoint formula 3's in RAID0 for my temps/pagefiles/docs/music/everything else.

I'm a new SSD user too...could you explain how I go about changing the page file etc to another drive?
cheers

zoopyzook
04-12-2011, 07:50 PM
I'm a new SSD user too...could you explain how I go about changing the page file etc to another drive?
cheers

Check out this link, very useful information and saves me typing it all out :-P

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=82516

only difference i have is i have the page file completely disabled on my SSD

lensman1945
04-12-2011, 08:05 PM
Check out this link, very useful information and saves me typing it all out :-P

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=82516

only difference i have is i have the page file completely disabled on my SSD

Many thanks

you are a true gentleman!

Katana1000S
04-12-2011, 10:18 PM
I have Win 7 and IL2 CoD on the same SSD and as another poster mentioned, my swap file on a 10k WD Velociraptor, BTW the SSD is over a year old no problems with it and its warranty is for 2 years.

zoopyzook
04-13-2011, 12:16 PM
I have Win 7 and IL2 CoD on the same SSD and as another poster mentioned, my swap file on a 10k WD Velociraptor, BTW the SSD is over a year old no problems with it and its warranty is for 2 years.

My SSD is 18 months old as well with no loss of performance by following those steps

Macka
04-13-2011, 07:39 PM
I set mine up to run the OS on the std Hard drive and installed steam and CoD only on the SSD as Program files\Steam. Also it leaves plenty of room for other games that utilize lots of disk swapping/texture streaming that you might wish to install, ie in my case DCS Series and ArmA II. Works great for ArmA and DCS A10 but cant tell the difference for CoD :(