PDA

View Full Version : Stuka Pull-Out Procedure?

LukeFF
04-12-2011, 09:27 AM
(Note: I do not have the game yet, so I am basing this off other's observations)

Apparently, the Stuka's bombs will automatically be released when the plane has reached a pre-determined altitude with the dive brakes extended. Extensive research by Jippo, who modeled the Stuka cockpit in Il2, conflicts with this. He says that the warning buzzer on the contact altimeter simply warned the pilot that it was time to release the bombs. That is, it was up to the pilot to release the bombs - it was not automatic.

So, who / what is correct in all of this?

salmo
04-12-2011, 09:47 AM
Wikipedia gives the dive procedure for the JU87 as follows ...

Flying at 4,600 m (15,000 ft), the pilot located his target through a bombsight window in the cockpit floor. The pilot moved the dive lever to the rear, limiting the "throw" of the control column.[23] The dive brakes were activated automatically, the pilot set the trim tabs, retarded his throttle and closed the coolant flaps. The aircraft then rolled 180°, automatically nosing the aircraft into a dive. Red tabs protruded from the upper surfaces of the wing as a visual indicator to the pilot that, in case of a g-induced black-out, the automatic dive recovery system would be activated. The Stuka dived at a 60-90° angle, holding a constant speed of 500–600 km/h (350-370 mph) due to dive-brake deployment, which increased the accuracy of the Ju 87's aim.[23]

When the aircraft was reasonably close to the target, a light on the contact altimeter came on to indicate the bomb-release point, usually at a minimum height of 450 m (1,500 ft). The pilot released the bomb and initiated the automatic pull-out mechanism by depressing a knob on the control column.[23] An elongated U-shaped crutch located under the fuselage swung the bomb out of the way of the propeller, and the aircraft automatically began a 6 g pullout.[23] Once the nose was above the horizon, dive brakes were retracted, the throttle was opened, and the propeller was set to climb. The pilot regained control and resumed normal flight. The coolant flaps had to be reopened quickly to prevent overheating.

robtek
04-12-2011, 10:24 AM
That description is good and fine, for the D - models upward!
The Ju87 B2, we have here, releases the bombs automatically at the predetermined altitude and recovers. The rest is the same as described before.

Allons!
04-04-2012, 09:39 AM
Robtek, can we release the SC50´s as single or double (as in IL-2 classic) ? Couldnt switch ingame the salvo.. Greetz, Allons!

Untamo
04-04-2012, 11:05 AM
S!

Thusfar I have managed to drop the centerline bomb and wing bombs separately and decide which ones go first, but no, can't drop only one pair of wing bombs. They all go at once. And this goes both for manual release and when using dive brakes.

csThor
04-04-2012, 12:34 PM
S!

Thusfar I have managed to drop the centerline bomb and wing bombs separately and decide which ones go first, but no, can't drop only one pair of wing bombs. They all go at once. And this goes both for manual release and when using dive brakes.

Which isn't correct. According to the manuals I have all SC50 could be dropped singly if necessary (i.e. individual drops on individual targets such as tanks or when trying to suppress enemy defenses).

Allons!
04-04-2012, 12:54 PM
Which isn't correct. According to the manuals I have all SC50 could be dropped singly if necessary (i.e. individual drops on individual targets such as tanks or when trying to suppress enemy defenses).

Moin CSThor, could you post it to the feature list in the bugtracker or send me a pic of the manual? allons@zgsiewissenschon Thx & Greetz, Allons!

csThor
04-04-2012, 01:00 PM
I'm at my parents' house for a vacation and all the material is on my PC 600km away. Until I get back I have no access to it. Sorry.