PDA

View Full Version : Access to *one* Steam folder from WinXP and Win7

z0ttel
04-11-2011, 04:16 PM
Hello everybody,

yesterday I've set up Windows 7 on my PC beside the existing Windows XP (on a separate partition, of course).
Now my question is if I can use the Steam folder which has been set up and used from WinXP till now directly from Win7, too or if I have to install all the games a second time only for Win7?

I tried to start the steam.exe of the existing installation and it seemed to work - even COD ran fine, but I'm a little bit curious if this is ok (you know, no registry entries in Win7, ...)?

Fjordmonkey
04-11-2011, 07:26 PM
Copy the Steamapps-folder from your old Steam-directory, delete the old Steam-directory, reinstall Steam again and then copy your Steamapps-folder back into the main Steam-folder.

Then it's just to verify local files, and you SHOULD be set.

69iAF~Mike
04-11-2011, 07:36 PM
I'm doing exactly the same, z0ttel. Works fine!

z0ttel
04-11-2011, 09:27 PM
Hi,

I've played COD with the existing installation for over one hour on Win 7 without any crashes or other problems - seems to work fine.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

SEE
04-15-2011, 11:39 AM
Installed Win7 64 on a partition, copied folders across as described but didn't work for me (must have screwed up somewhere as Steam said game was not installed). I inserted the DVD and re-installed it but don't seem to have lost an activation (nothing regards remaining activations came up).

For future reference I have seen seen mention of using a 'verify game files' option in steam but where is it?

(I went through various menus and options and could only find game back -up/restore - I'm a Steam Noob...)

Fjordmonkey
04-15-2011, 01:29 PM
Installed Win7 64 on a partition, copied folders across as described but didn't work for me (must have screwed up somewhere as Steam said game was not installed). I inserted the DVD and re-installed it but don't seem to have lost an activation (nothing regards remaining activations came up).

For future reference I have seen seen mention of using a 'verify game files' option in steam but where is it?

(I went through various menus and options and could only find game back -up/restore - I'm a Steam Noob...)

Right-click the game in your library, choose Properties, and then you should find it somewhere in the tabs. Don't remember, and since I'm at work I can't check.

SEE
04-15-2011, 02:08 PM
That explains why I couldn't find it, Steam didn't recognise it as being installed even though I copied the folders to the correct locations. Me thinks I shouldn't have logged into Steam when I re- installed it before copying the Cod folders over.....