PDA

View Full Version : Lack of impact sounds?

Psycho_Ch!cken
04-11-2011, 11:19 AM
I know a lot of posts have been made about sounds, or a lack thereof, but I noticed one glaring omission the other day and when it happened again just now, I thought I'd better ask about it.

When you crash one plane into another plane, there does not appear to be any sound to indicate it. Barely 5 minutes ago a G.50 plowed through my Hurricane while I was in a tight turn and took my entire tail section clean off. I had absolutely no idea that this had happened though. All I saw was that apparently I'd gone into a spin and spent the next 10 seconds trying to recover it. When it refused to recover, I cheated a little and took a look at the external view and got quite a shock to see that half my plane was gone.

There wasn't even a particularly noticeable shake of the cockpit when I was hit (head shake is on) - as I said, it was as if I'd simply made a mistake and put myself into a spin. Is anyone else noticing this total lack of visual/aureal feedback? Or am I going insane? :/

rollnloop
04-11-2011, 11:34 AM
You are not insane. Keyword=far from finished game.

Stay tuned for patches ?

senseispcc
04-11-2011, 11:37 AM
You are not insane. Keyword=far from finished game.

Stay tuned for patches ?

Sorry but there are impact sound, on your plane or on the ennemy plane if not to far but these are a little to high.

Psycho_Ch!cken
04-11-2011, 11:44 AM
Sorry but there are impact sound, on your plane or on the ennemy plane if not to far but these are a little to high.
I think you mean sounds from bullet impacts. I'm talking about actual collisions between planes. You would expect a very loud crash noise, but the three or four times I've hit another plane (yes, I'm a bad pilot, but the stuttering doesn't help) there's just nothing.

senseispcc
04-11-2011, 11:47 AM
Sorry I did never hit a other plane! Could not know.

Fuchs
04-11-2011, 11:47 AM

i really doubt that with an 2000HP engine in front of you and machine-gun firering you are able to ear from your pit the impact on enemy plane... :rolleyes:

i gess this audio effect can be erased for free resource and add more realism

TeeJay82
04-11-2011, 11:56 AM
i really doubt that with an 2000HP engine in front of you and machine-gun firering you are able to ear from your pit the impact on enemy plane... :rolleyes:

I think he is talking about taking hits... i also struggle to hear if im getting nailed... Not like SH4 with TMO... i allmost shit my pants there everytime lol

Feathered_IV
04-11-2011, 12:28 PM
I can hear my 303 rounds hitting an enemy at 200 yards. :(

seaeye
04-11-2011, 01:52 PM

If your aircraft was split in half as a result of a collision, you would hear it. a 2000HP engine would not mask the noise at all.

I can also hear my rounds hitting enemy aircraft up to 400yard away, that it unrealistic.

Oldschool61
04-11-2011, 01:58 PM
I know a lot of posts have been made about sounds, or a lack thereof, but I noticed one glaring omission the other day and when it happened again just now, I thought I'd better ask about it.

When you crash one plane into another plane, there does not appear to be any sound to indicate it. Barely 5 minutes ago a G.50 plowed through my Hurricane while I was in a tight turn and took my entire tail section clean off. I had absolutely no idea that this had happened though. All I saw was that apparently I'd gone into a spin and spent the next 10 seconds trying to recover it. When it refused to recover, I cheated a little and took a look at the external view and got quite a shock to see that half my plane was gone.

There wasn't even a particularly noticeable shake of the cockpit when I was hit (head shake is on) - as I said, it was as if I'd simply made a mistake and put myself into a spin. Is anyone else noticing this total lack of visual/aureal feedback? Or am I going insane? :/

You were knocked unconscous at time of impact lol :) thats why you didnt hear anything.

Strike
04-11-2011, 03:20 PM
I must really add something here I see.

Do the basic math:

A 7.92mm bullet that weighs what? 11.7 g? maybe? Is NOT going to cause a headshake at all. Infact, even when getting hit by 20mm or more I believe the effect of turbulences and flying through the targets propwash etc etc will mask the headshake effect..

Really, there's no reason for the head to shake ingame when firing either, because our brain (yours too!) is designed to compensate for this. I do however know that if your engine fails (this goes for the F-16 too which I am familiar with) the vibrations can be so intense that you cannot read the instrumentation anymore, because it all becomes blurred.

That way I think the engine damage/stress shaking is very realistic in CloD. But being hit/guns firing shouldn't impact it unless you're flying the Rudel stuka :p

Avionsdeguerre
04-11-2011, 04:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIaBvKSbU-I :)

Fuchs
04-11-2011, 04:45 PM
next time he could turn on the sight :)

thanks for vid :)

Gollum
04-11-2011, 09:02 PM
I can't here anything when I am either getting shot or slammed into.

I spent the first few dogfights thinking I was dodging bullets in the matrix (damn this break between IL2 and COD has really honed my skills!!) until I started reading what was actually happening in the top left of my screen.

I used to fall off my chair when getting hit in IL2. I understand the engine and all is running so it might not be as loud but you'd figure you'd hear a round slamming through your fuesalage or at least through you cockpit window??

By they way, does anyone know what a "burnt intake" is? Is that refering to an intake valve? and why would it happen by itself without CE on or witout getting hit?

-Gollum

skouras
04-11-2011, 09:40 PM
If your aircraft was split in half as a result of a collision, you would hear it. a 2000HP engine would not mask the noise at all.

I can also hear my rounds hitting enemy aircraft up to 400yard away, that it unrealistic.

totally angree with you
the rounds hitting enemy aircraft is unrealistic 400yard away:rolleyes:

Anvilfolk
04-12-2011, 03:10 AM
I remember a former RAF pilot on a TV program saying that you could tell when you were being hit because you could hear something like someone threw a handful of pebbles at your plane. No shake, nothing - just the sound of pebbles hitting the airframe.

ElAurens
04-12-2011, 03:59 AM
By they way, does anyone know what a "burnt intake" is? Is that refering to an intake valve? and why would it happen by itself without CE on or witout getting hit?

-Gollum

Engine management and damage are still in need of help, IMHO.

After 2 days of flying the sim now I find that CEM/Overheat and engine damage caused by it is odd to say the least. With no manual or info on proper engine management, dubious indications of the cockpit instruments, and engine reactions to inputs that frankly defy logic, I've got to believe that something is amiss here. Of course the "harder is more realistic just because" crowd are probably really digging it.

The only explanation I have is that the cockpit instruments are simply not accurate. NO matter how conservative I am with the engines on the Blenheim, I have yet to get a flight longer than 2 or 3 minutes after take off before losing the right engine, and it's always the right engine that goes first. Makes no sense.

If you are going to bother to model engine systems and damage at this level, then you absolutely have to model accurate monitoring systems, proper sonic cues as to what the engines are doing, and provide explicit documentation on how to run them in the sim. Real pilot's notes are meaningless in our context.

I don't mind the workload of operating these virtual aircraft at all, it's enjoyable to me. I have driven many automobiles that were made in the first couple of decades of the last century, and it is gratifying to operate them because they are so complex. Evry change of power set demands a change in fuel mix and ignition timing, barometric pressure, humidity, and temperature changes from day to day bring challenges merely to get them up the road. But, what you do to make them run is logical. What I'm seeing so far with CEM/Overheat on is not.

depthstar
04-12-2011, 08:06 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIaBvKSbU-I :)

I hate to say it, but watch this video. I mean... really watch it (as if it were a movie or something).

If this video was intentionally made as a comedy piece, it's absolutely genius.

(Not to be critical, I'm anxiously awaiting putting my new rig together in a few months so I can play this game. There's so much potential in this software. Many a troubled game has grown into a masterpiece. Anyone who ever liked Jagged Alliance 2 should check in on v1.13 and see what they've done with it. Mindblowing.)

Retaliator
04-15-2011, 03:27 PM
Hello,
just wanted to UP this thread, as me too I cannot hear bullets hitting my plane. I can hear the plane firing at me, but no BEING HIT SOUNDS at all!!!

I'm running the ASUS P6T on board sound card with surround creative speaker set up, latest drivers!