PDA

View Full Version : Turning off Aero for CoD IL2

Katana1000S
04-11-2011, 08:13 AM
Been reading that turning off Aero in win 7 (and Vista) gives a bit more performance for IL2 CoD, fair enough, was wondering if a batch file could be made to disable Aero then launch IL2 CoD, then when exiting the sim switches back on Aero, this is what FSX does in Win 7.

At the end of the day we use the comp for other things and Aero looks good :)

Might be a good idea to implement in a future CoD patch.

Georgio41
04-11-2011, 01:24 PM
Since disabling mine, it seems to automatically kick in when I launch CoD in that I get a warning as the game fires up.

Dano
04-11-2011, 01:37 PM
Been reading that turning off Aero in win 7 (and Vista) gives a bit more performance for IL2 CoD, fair enough, was wondering if a batch file could be made to disable Aero then launch IL2 CoD, then when exiting the sim switches back on Aero, this is what FSX does in Win 7.

At the end of the day we use the comp for other things and Aero looks good :)

Might be a good idea to implement in a future CoD patch.

Locate launcher.exe in the main Cliffs of Dover directory under steamapps/common. Right click, compatability tab, check disable desktop composition.

Job done.

Ataros
04-11-2011, 02:08 PM
check disable visual themes.

Job done.

I could not record and play back recorded tracks when I did so in Win7-64. Be careful.

Dano
04-11-2011, 02:22 PM
I could not record and play back recorded tracks when I did so in Win7-64. Be careful.

Sorry, my mistake, I meant disable desktop composition, not visual themes.

ATAG_Dutch
04-11-2011, 02:26 PM

I disabled desktop composition on the .exe as described by Luthier and the game behaves exactly like FSX from simply doing this.

It reverts to aero on closing the game.

Can't say it visibly improved anything though.:(

Georgio41
04-11-2011, 04:19 PM
So far this is pretty much the only mod I've made apart from the official patch and it made a huge difference to the fps/stutters on my comp.
I'm hoping that 1c take on board the work being done by individuals on the SimHq forums to optimise the game and produce a more detailed 'fixit' patch.

I disabled desktop composition on the .exe as described by Luthier and the game behaves exactly like FSX from simply doing this.

It reverts to aero on closing the game.

Can't say it visibly improved anything though.:(

IvanK
04-11-2011, 11:13 PM
Turning of Aero also results in image tearing when panning your view.

BadAim
04-11-2011, 11:31 PM

I had the same problem, and I can't say as I get why, but there you go. :)

JG301_HaJa
04-12-2011, 05:28 AM
I think the reason for tearing when the disablecomposition switch is set is that the game
isn't really a full screen game. It's just a windows maximised option to fill the screen thus the graphics has to render everything on your desktop + Aero + game inducing performance hits.

erratik
04-14-2011, 01:42 PM

also get this. but for some reason it play alot smoother with aero off for me.