PDA

View Full Version : How to find wind direction when landing?

Bertram W. Wooster
04-11-2011, 05:42 AM
Is there any way to find out the direction of the prevailing wind to set up an approach for landing? I have overflown the airfield and looked for a windsock but haven't been able to find one the couple of times I have tried. Any ideas?

MadTommy
04-11-2011, 02:38 PM
I know that windsocks are only present if placed my the mission maker through the Mission Builder...apart from windsocks i can't imaging there is a way presently.

Raggz
04-11-2011, 02:56 PM
I've seen something like a white "T" on one of the runways ends showing the entry for landing. But not all airfields has one. Don't know if it's bound to the icons realism setting.

BlackbusheFlyer
04-11-2011, 04:23 PM
Yes it is unfortunate that there is seemingly no modelling of actual wind. I could be wrong but they seem to be simulating wind movement on the aircraft in flight (really more turbulence) but without any actual wind.

Every time I land at Manston it irritates me that the active runway indicated by the 'T' would effectively be a cross wind landing in reality (due to it's proximity to the sea, sea breeze would nearly always mean the wind would be come from the sea in easterly direction or westerly in the late afternoon).

I hope in future that this can be modelled. As then the 109 pilots would have a much harder time landing ;-)

unreasonable
04-13-2011, 08:30 AM
Is the smoke from the burning building etc in FMB affected by wind?

BlackbusheFlyer
04-13-2011, 08:45 AM
From the last few days flying my impression is wind is only modelled as movement on the aircraft, basically just random bobbing and turbulence. I could be wrong but no matter in which direction you turn the track of the aircraft over the ground is always exactly on the nose. Of course in real life that is not the case, to maintain a straight line over the ground you crab to intersect the wind direction.

Therefore landing in any direction appears fine. It certainly feels like there is no wind.

I think in general IL2 is about combat, if they added all the details of real flying it would present a very steep learning curve requiring many hours of practice just to fly the plane let alone fight with it. Therefore keeping it simple is not necessarily a bad thing. I mean can you imagine how full the forums would be of complaints if a gamer found he could not land the aircraft much less keep formation. As it is it is simple to achieve something with only a little practice and that opens the door to a much wider audience.

TUCKIE_JG52
04-18-2011, 10:34 AM
Wind is modelled, if you put it into the FMB over the scenario. Try it.

Just flown at 45º desviation angle to keep desired course in a BR20 under strong crosswind. :)

I'm feeling that I've made my PPL-A license not to fly the Cessna, but to fly this simulator :)

b101uk
04-18-2011, 04:58 PM
I was playing in the FMB the other day and wind definitely alters your course over ground relative to heading flown, however I did find a BIG error that wind is 90deg out!!!!!!!

BUT if you set wind direction as “90” (90deg) wind comes from the south pushing you north (+90deg error), if you set wind at -90 (270deg) it come from the north pushing you south (+90deg error), if you set the wind to180 or -180 (180deg) it comes from the east pushing you west (-90deg error) & if you set it to 0 (0deg) it comes from the west pushing you east (-90deg error)

Ergo wind is either +90deg out for east/west or -90deg out for north/south even with the latest 1.00.14101 patch! (have just tested)