PDA

View Full Version : Here some tweaks to improve framerate.

jt_medina
04-09-2011, 10:17 PM
NO LONGER WORKING WITH LATEST VERSION v1.05.15950

jimbop
04-09-2011, 10:38 PM
Yes, I've been reading this over there as well. Anyone tested it? My machine out of action due to an abortive upgrade attempt (faulty mobo).

Also, what is the position on discussing mods for CoD on this forum? It would be good if we could get dev feedback on disabling/enabling SSAO as per above.

Shado
04-09-2011, 10:55 PM
Firstly big kudos goes to kegetys for this mod, I dont know what 1C will make of it or if were even allowed to talk about it all I know is it works very well.
Frame rates have doubled here with no real notible loss of detail.

machoo
04-09-2011, 10:57 PM
- Edit the Launcher.exe.config file and add kegetys.dll there similar to steam_api.dll

wheere do you put this? Anywhere or like this '<value>parts\core\steam_api.dll,kegetys.dll</value>'

Bertram W. Wooster
04-09-2011, 11:02 PM
Huge improvement in framerate and, crucially, in reducing the amount of stuttering when flying over land, especially using the new nomipmaps mod that Kegetys added to that post a few minutes ago. Unfortunately, as he said in his notes the nomipmaps mod suffers from massive texture aliasing which I suspect for most people will make it an unworkable solution in the long-run. However, it does point to the underlying cause of the stuttering problem which should help either the devs or dedicated third-party tinkerers resolve the problem.

Flying over the terrain with details up and without constant stuttering (albeit with shimmering textures), I can finally see how impressive the terrain can look in this game - as in, it's going to be jaw-breakingly gorgeous once we're able to fly over it with forest and building levels up high. I have had serious doubts about the terrain but the forests, woods, scattered villages, little copses and trees lining the roads and fields bring it all together in a way I hadn't expected. Very, very nice.

bluecher
04-09-2011, 11:07 PM
I've tried it too and the mod (using the lowtex and nossao) by kegetys improves my fps hugely. Stuttering became also less (nearly null)...
I can't stop playing now... it's a new game :)

Horrido!

I7 870
Nvidia GTX 570
8 Gig Ram
Win 7 64bit

Flanker35M
04-09-2011, 11:26 PM
S!

That SSAO thing looked interesting. Lot of FPS lost to what?

Rather peeved
04-09-2011, 11:34 PM
how do u install it?

jimbop
04-09-2011, 11:38 PM
how do u install it?

Follow the simhq link from OP - some discussion about installation in that thread.

Strike
04-09-2011, 11:48 PM
Looks like devs should add texture quality sliders and SSAO improvement options to the game! Nice find!

jimbop
04-09-2011, 11:55 PM
Looks like devs should add texture quality sliders and SSAO improvement options to the game! Nice find!

Yes, some comment on this would be good. This comment from the simhq thread speaks volumes:

No457_Squog: "MANY thanks for what you've made for the sim! I was able to cruise over London at 60+ fps at low level :-)

I made a donation at your site in apreciation, too :-)

What are your thoughts on expanding the functionality?"

Avala
04-10-2011, 12:08 AM
Maybe better solution would be to decrease textures sizes and quality and to gain some performance, especially for older graphic cards.

BTW I find that "mod" a bit too difficult to install . . .

ParaB
04-10-2011, 12:11 AM
Just follow the instructions, it really isn't that difficult.

I got a ~20% increase in average FPS, with no discernible loss of image quality. Excellent job!

JG14_Jagr
04-10-2011, 12:45 AM
Ok.. I'm more or less retarded :) SO it took me a little bit to figure out what to actually do here..

First, get the sfsMOD for the link www.kegetys.net/misc

Install that FIRST according to the read me. You simply toss the kegetys.dll file where it tells you and then AFTER you backup the Launcher.exe.config file you make the edits shown in RED in the readme.

Now, once that is done, download the lotex and the noSSAO mod folders and put those folders where they tell you (the maid IL2 COD Directory steam/steamapps etc.)

Then for simplicity sake, open STEAM and in LIBRARY right click on the IL2 game and go to properties.. Under the GENERAL tab go to launch options and enter the following..

-mod=nossao -mod=lowtex

thats it.. hit OK and exit...

When you run the game through steam those 2 should work..

RESULTS: I have a system that I run the Bomber Intercept Mission at 1920X1200 with everything set to HIGH and no AA (because I don't think its working anyway) and I turn the SHADOWS OFF Just SHADOWS

Before the MODS

fps merging with the He111's in my Hurricane ~60 fps

After those 2 MODS

fps merging with the He111's in my Hurricane ~102fps

Over London my FPS went from the 30's to the 60's Still some occasional stutters but after about a minute its smooth as glass.

This is NOT a trivial development for this game..this is HUGE. 1C and the crew needs to incorporate this into the US release version to give performance that people can really get into and generate good reviews and sales.. this is just the kind of HIGH return fix that could buy them the time to fix things while people can still play...

Buchon
04-10-2011, 01:27 AM
Disabling SSAO is a option interesting to add to the graphics options.

Actually the most interesting part of all this is that disabling mipmaps fix the shuttering completely.

So is possible that there a problem with the mipmaps in the code.

Oldschool61
04-10-2011, 02:55 AM
Maybe better solution would be to decrease textures sizes and quality and to gain some performance, especially for older graphic cards.

BTW I find that "mod" a bit too difficult to install . . .

I believe by lowering your screen resolution it automatically reduced texture res. Correct me if im wrong. Ive been telling people to lower there resolution for days to get better fps but most people here are either to ignorant , stubborn or too stupid too try it.

Oldschool61
04-10-2011, 03:00 AM
Ok.. I'm more or less retarded :) SO it took me a little bit to figure out what to actually do here..

First, get the sfsMOD for the link www.kegetys.net/misc

Install that FIRST according to the read me. You simply toss the kegetys.dll file where it tells you and then AFTER you backup the Launcher.exe.config file you make the edits shown in RED in the readme.

Now, once that is done, download the lotex and the noSSAO mod folders and put those folders where they tell you (the maid IL2 COD Directory steam/steamapps etc.)

Then for simplicity sake, open STEAM and in LIBRARY right click on the IL2 game and go to properties.. Under the GENERAL tab go to launch options and enter the following..

-mod=nossao -mod=lowtex

thats it.. hit OK and exit...

When you run the game through steam those 2 should work..

RESULTS: I have a system that I run the Bomber Intercept Mission at 1920X1200 with everything set to HIGH and no AA (because I don't think its working anyway) and I turn the SHADOWS OFF Just SHADOWS

Before the MODS

fps merging with the He111's in my Hurricane ~60 fps

After those 2 MODS

fps merging with the He111's in my Hurricane ~102fps

Over London my FPS went from the 30's to the 60's Still some occasional stutters but after about a minute its smooth as glass.

This is NOT a trivial development for this game..this is HUGE. 1C and the crew needs to incorporate this into the US release version to give performance that people can really get into and generate good reviews and sales.. this is just the kind of HIGH return fix that could buy them the time to fix things while people can still play...

Now try it again with your screen res at 1280x720 and be amazed, you probably can turn EVERYTHING on.

SacaSoh
04-10-2011, 03:02 AM
I believe by lowering your screen resolution it automatically reduced texture res. Correct me if im wrong. Ive been telling people to lower there resolution for days to get better fps but most people here are either to ignorant , stubborn or stupid too try it.

The textures in the game are "too big", that's the problem... the solution is not to reduce your resolution, but to reduce the texture sizes. Reducing the texture resolution will lower the overall image quality just a bit, on the other side, reducing your resolution will have a big impact in your IQ (worse if you use a LCD screen).

With the mod (lowtex and nossao) fix i've gained 25fps and less stutters, without any noticeable decrease in IQ.

GOZR
04-10-2011, 03:26 AM
Much better yes! We still need SLI..
It give me some serious doubt on the team...

jimbop
04-10-2011, 03:29 AM
It give me some serious doubt on the team...

I don't think it should... From what I understand SSAO is one of those more advanced graphics options that you will want switched on when your hardware can handle it. Maybe an option to disable until then would be good, though.

Mustang
04-10-2011, 03:32 AM
follow the link.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3265101/performance_improvement_mod_s_.html#post3265101

go go go !!!!

+10

JG14_Jagr
04-10-2011, 03:57 AM
The way I look at this is it gives the Dev team options they can implement to make the game performance significantly better very quickly, and have those fixes implemented prior to the major US launch. I can assure you that Luthier and the Dev's are away of MANY things that can be optimized greatly and improve performance, but most of those things will take a great deal of effort and Dev time. Something like this can make a huge difference in the reviews the game will get and the directly effect sales, while other issues can be resolved and improved in the background. Scalability is the big idea in a series.. but the manner in which things got forced had made it difficult or impossible to play for lower end systems.

I have played this enough now to start to get a handle on how good I think things will be in the future of this game and I'm excited about it.. Hell, I even got multiplayer to work :)

Sakai73
04-10-2011, 03:59 AM
I don't think it should... From what I understand SSAO is one of those more advanced graphics options that you will want switched on when your hardware can handle it. Maybe an option to disable until then would be good, though.

I have quite good rig and I sure don't notice any difference with SSAO on or off, graphically that is, on other hand difference is huge in fps. So why would I want it enabled if it doesn't show up in anywhere? Maybe I'm missing something?

jimbop
04-10-2011, 04:22 AM
I have quite good rig and I sure don't notice any difference with SSAO on or off, graphically that is, on other hand difference is huge in fps. So why would I want it enabled if it doesn't show up in anywhere? Maybe I'm missing something?

TBH I don't understand it properly but was thinking of future additions like DX11. Probably wrong though...

machoo
04-10-2011, 04:49 AM
I gained a good 20 fps over land , still have to run low detail though. Good fix for now.

MadBlaster
04-10-2011, 05:15 AM
Wtf. A mod to make the game playable...and CoD hasn't even been released here yet! Yes, I'm having a good chuckle right now. Maybe I can keep my 256 mb video card? That would really be funny. Anyway, good job mod guy. You do a good service.:)

sfmadmax
04-10-2011, 05:18 AM
My findings,
I just upgrade to a Ati 6970 today 2GB. Let me tell you. It makes a massive difference coming from a Nvidia 8800GTS . I can play 1920 with high effects and high model. and everything else is medium.

I was getting about 35-42FPS sustained flight over land. 50FPS over water.

London was still a little rough.. Jittery mostly.

I loaded both of these mods.. I'm topping out at 50FPS over land Sometimes hitting 100FPS gameplay is very very smooth. London I was getting "SMOOTH" flights at about 25 FPS , ( if you can fly london smooth at 25fps everything else should be fine )

I cranked up the detail to highest , FPS dropped as expected Everything is max settings (except AA) 25-30FPS over land. 15-20 FPS london (smooth still) 50+ fps over water

Intel W3570 (Comparable to I7 3.2)
12GB ram Vengeance DDR3 1600
ATI Diamond 6970 2GB GDDR5 (890 clock - i think)

Wolf_Rider
04-10-2011, 05:45 AM
don't know where kegetys got this idea from though...

"I'd post it on the 1C forum where the devs seem to loiter, but as it seems every thread even hinting for some problems with the game are deleted, I'm not going to bother."

with the ambient occlusion gone (at with my experience in heaven - Unigine, it really starkens up the image)

IbanezLaney
04-10-2011, 05:57 AM
Awesome mod - performance has doubled for me.

Now i'm getting 50 fps flying low over London in full screen mode.
Some stutter as things load up (textures im guessing) but then its all smooth.

JG14_Jagr
04-10-2011, 06:31 AM
From my testing SHADOWS should be turned to OFF, the performance hit is just not worth it. 100fps turned to 70fps with the only difference being the shadow setting. AA doesn't seem to provide much for the performance hit either. Some of the other settings you might as well go HIGH because the performance difference between low and high is very small while the look difference is very big. Using the same Quick mission over and over while changing 1 thing at a time let's you see the difference

jimbop
04-10-2011, 06:48 AM
From my testing SHADOWS should be turned to OFF, the performance hit is just not worth it...Using the same Quick mission over and over while changing 1 thing at a time let's you see the difference

Yeah, I found the same thing with the shadows which is a shame because they help with situational awareness a lot. I posted this analysis of a track in the patch feedback thread but probably relevant here too, just need to repeat with this mod in place:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5147/5601258701_081caa6546_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/61319592@N06/5601258701/)
1013954 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/61319592@N06/5601258701/)

Fuchs
04-10-2011, 07:18 AM
kegetys your are my new best friend!!!
did you plan to give some coding lessons to the 1C team?

thanks a lot, i'll sent you a donation equal of the prise of the European version of COD!

IbanezLaney
04-10-2011, 07:29 AM
I just played around a bit with the nossao, lowtex and nomipmaps options and noticed I get the highest fps with only -mod=nossao enabled and the other 2 not running.

Anyone else tried this and find the same thing happening?

senseispcc
04-10-2011, 07:41 AM
Just follow the instructions, it really isn't that difficult.

I got a ~20% increase in average FPS, with no discernible loss of image quality. Excellent job!

Not with my PC.
Same results than before, it is not so much the fps that are my problem but the micro stetter.:rolleyes:

Fuchs
04-10-2011, 08:20 AM
you have probably miss something during install dude!
i get stuttering so only a few moments an really less than before

@.@
04-10-2011, 08:37 AM
Jesus christ bananas!

I am getting 120fps over sea and 60 over land :!::!::!:

senseispcc
04-10-2011, 08:39 AM
Hello,

The only improvement to reduce this micro a stutter is for me to downgrade the "building detail" from very high to high or medium. Then at very low flight altitude the stutter disappear and fps are always the same.

;)

Fall_Pink?
04-10-2011, 08:55 AM
Sorry, doesn't fix it for me ;-( I've tried all mods: Nossao, nomipmaps and lowtex, but they do not fix the stutters.

I just run the 'cross country' mission. If that simple mission (1 bomber flying over land) runs without stutters, I consider it fixed.

Rgs,
FP

edit: Ok, go it to 'work'. First tests did not load these mods properly I guess. Loading them by using the steam client options did not work for some reason. Now created a shortcut and they load. mipmap mod however leads to many strange loading results. First quick mission loads, then others will as well. If I choose cross country as the first mission, then the game won't load. Shimmering is a bit too much for me, but nice to see the stutters have been 'fixed'. The problem is now known and 1C/Maddox should know what to do...;-)

senseispcc
04-10-2011, 08:57 AM
you have probably miss something during install dude!
i get stuttering so only a few moments an really less than before

The fps are a little higher but the micro stutter is the same or nearly so (there are no instruments to measure this objectively). Sorry; the only way to reduce them is to set the "building detail" to high or medium. ;)

doghous3
04-10-2011, 09:16 AM
Kudos to the guy!

Had some interesting testing with this mod. I bet a lot of people are smiling. :grin:

FPS wasn't an issue for me in most cases, but it has certainly increased FPS without a doubt.

Ran it with both, then just nossao, then just lowtex.

I found lowtex made the landscape look 'ugly' and didn't improve performace, so I removed it. Although the 'ugly' is hardly noticable at higher alititude; making it moot for most I'm sure.

The nossao certainly had an impact, reducing stutter's, although not eliminating them, and increasing FPS! No discernable difference in visuals.

Settings: 1920x1200, all max except - no AA, very low building detail/amount; tree high.

I7 (gulftown), 12Gb RAM, HD5970

Here's a screenie on how the ground looked with mod and without.

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/2061/modnmod.png (http://img52.imageshack.us/i/modnmod.png/)

Flanker35M
04-10-2011, 09:18 AM
S!

Tested the "no SSAO" on my rig. Instant jump in FPS and really can't tell the difference in IQ. Make this an option in GUI..would be better to have more options with proper documentation what they do.

This mipmap thing. You notice it easiest with lower building settings how the houses change from "non-skinned" to detailed and back depending on your position. And the use of huge textures..why? With a bit of work you can make things look good with less size too..or?

Wolf_Rider
04-10-2011, 09:23 AM
documentation in the Steam\SteamApps\common\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\ manual folder (pdf)

Doc_uk
04-10-2011, 09:26 AM
How the hell do you install this to get it working

To install, first install the SFSMOD v1.1 (or newer) from:
http://www.kegetys.net/misc ive done that
and make sure it is working. Then, extract this archive to
the IL2COD directory (so you get the "nossao" dir under the game
directory). Finally use -mod=nossao commandline parameter to
enable the mod for launcher.exe.

That is the worst install guide ever
How about telling us how to enable -mod=nossao commandline parameter
Not all of us are computer experts

Flanker35M
04-10-2011, 09:35 AM
S!

Doc, the noSSAO thing has a readme where it is explained. Got it to work within minutes. Just make sure to make a backup of the launcher.config first. Rest is basically copy/paste.

Also tested the no mipmap thing. First time a COMPLETELY stutter free gaming experience! Sure as Kegetys stated the shimmer is there, but do I mind if the stutter is gone? NO! :) I can now run CoD 1920x1200 MAXED out with no stutter and very nice FPS :)

doghous3
04-10-2011, 09:35 AM
YOu need to d/l not only the kegetys file, but d/l the nasao and lowtex zips.

the zips you extract to the install directory so you have two new folders nassao and lowtex.

I'm sure the guide was straight forward.

Goto steam library, right-click CoD and select properties, select "set launce options" and write -mod=nossao -mod=lowtex.

danjama
04-10-2011, 10:12 AM
This is really great news! Well done to the modder. I hope 1C recognise him, and thank him.

Kankkis
04-10-2011, 10:20 AM
Now devs know what problems causing stuttering, i think there is soon official fix fot it. at least i hope.

Kankkis

Flanker35M
04-10-2011, 10:24 AM
S!

At least should give an idea to Luthier & Team what to look into :) Make SSAO an option in GUI + heavy optimization in mipmaps and those texture sizes.

Bushido
04-10-2011, 10:25 AM
Hello,

The mimapmod cause a launcher.exe crash during the mission loading.

Other mods work great and I have a noticeable improvement, game is playable now, thanks.

Vista 32, Core2Duo E8500, 3.2Giga ram, 8800 GTS512

David198502
04-10-2011, 10:26 AM
Man that mod is really doing miracles on my rig!!!!
first i thought it would be hard to install it for me,as im not a native speaker.but i read the readme twice and slowly,followed the instructions step by step.
after that,i launched the game.curious,how i am, i opened quick mission over london.before the mod i had, i think average 5fps and massive stutters, so that it was unplayable.
NOW after the mod, i have average 30fps!!!!and the stutters are way less!its totally playable over london for me!it even feels smooth.
that was five minutes ago.now i have to start it again to try it over land and sea.
thx to the creator of that!you really made my day!

Strike
04-10-2011, 10:34 AM
yeah worked very well on my rig too without too big of a beauty-reduction :) Running London with shadows on all settings med/high with fluid gameplay :) 9x 111's and 6x spits :)

SQB
04-10-2011, 10:38 AM
Brilliant, the no ssao takes the fps up to 15 from 6 over london, but horrible stutters.
No mipmaps take it all the way to 45! NO STUTTERS!!!!! :grin:

sveri
04-10-2011, 10:46 AM

Maybe you could provide a download link please? I didnt manage to find that mods.

Thanks
Sven

Fuchs
04-10-2011, 10:50 AM
Maybe you could take a look over the first post :D

sveri
04-10-2011, 10:59 AM
Maybe you could take a look over the first post :D

Hups, my fault, i just came to this thread by a link, which linked to the second page and a quote, thanks for the hint :D

F16_Neo
04-10-2011, 11:08 AM
Works here! Stutter problem GONE with the mipmaps! Textures are a bit weird now, but at least it's playable.
1C now will have to troubleshoot what Kegetys put the finger on. :)

David198502
04-10-2011, 11:17 AM
back again after some more testing.i have to say it again.its a miracle-mod!!
before the mod i had my resolution set to the lowest settings,because otherwise my fps dropped dramatically.now i set it to the highest.
before the mod,i had trees set down to the second lowest.now i set it to maximum.
before the mod, i had landscape detail and landshading on middle setting, now on high.

with the improve of settings, i still get the same or even better fps and less stutters than before that mod.
and in my opinion the textures didnt change at all.at least its my impression.but maybe i dont recognize any difference because im too exited right now.

Tbag
04-10-2011, 11:42 AM
Great improvement for me, can fly the tiger moth over england nearly without stutters. Texture mod and nominimaps gave the most noticable improvement. Thanks Kegetys!

1920x1200
Intel Core i5 2500K 3.30GHz @ 4.40GHz Sandybridge CPU
Asus P8P67 PRO Intel P67 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard
Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel
ENGTX 285 1gb
Win 7 professional 64bit

Steuben
04-10-2011, 11:44 AM
Is it only me or isnt this very emberassing for 1 C? I mean come on!!! They are releasing a patch wich is not really fixing the performance issues this game has and then comes a skilled Programmer from Finland which does a much better job on his own? :evil:

pupo162
04-10-2011, 12:10 PM
STEUBORN. this is no embarresement to 1C. unless they play fool and not use this to its favour. to be honest, this gmae needs a lot of help. and if some guy from finland contribuited htis much it should be used.

its a good mod. i still have stutters, but FPS is good now: good as in GOOD. shame for the FOV changer. it works , but its not comaptible with multiple views in game( eg, close medium, far away) and its not compatible with clickable cockpits.

BigPickle
04-10-2011, 12:15 PM
Follow the link.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3265101/Performance_improvement_mod_s_.html#Post3265101

I knew it, this game uses the arma 2 engine, thought I'd spotted that res'in in and out before.

Foo'bar
04-10-2011, 12:16 PM
It doesn't matter who. But is does matter what.

Koyan
04-10-2011, 12:35 PM
I just played around a bit with the nossao, lowtex and nomipmaps options and noticed I get the highest fps with only -mod=nossao enabled and the other 2 not running.

Anyone else tried this and find the same thing happening?

Yes, same for me. I found that i would have even lower fps with the kegetys.dll enabled than without. I now have only -mod=nossao enabled.

Nazgul-9
04-10-2011, 12:44 PM
:):)

Tremendous improvement!!!

I Salute you sir!!

Regards

furbs
04-10-2011, 12:48 PM
Sticky??

JG5_emil
04-10-2011, 12:54 PM
Staggering improvement. This man deserves a medal!

I found that things actually got smoother the more I increased the level of detail. Everything is now set to high/very high with grass and roads on. I left shadows off as they flicker and reduce fps and also building amount is on low. Game rund like a dream except London which is playable but stutters a bit. Resolution is 1280x720

Fantastic!

seaeye
04-10-2011, 12:57 PM
Ok, everything runs well apart from the mipmap mod. I can start over water, but when the game tries to load a land mipmap it crashes the launcher.exe. I noticed a preivois poster had the same problem. Is there something I've got to set up in my GPU settings to use this mod? Phenom X4 965 BE 3.8GHz, 8Gb DDR3 1600 RAM, ASUS 6870 DirectCU, Win7 64 Prof.

furbs
04-10-2011, 01:02 PM
Now if they get SLI/crossfire and muti-core working, then we are really getting somewhere.

Lets hope the devs make this mod a option in the video settings menu.

LcSummers
04-10-2011, 01:05 PM
Hi,

can someone make a step by step install please? I am no native speaker, reading on simhq too, its hard to understand. :(

Thanks for any help!!

Ltbear
04-10-2011, 01:06 PM
Looking forward to se if it runs on my ancient system lmao

cre8tive Delay
04-10-2011, 01:18 PM
This is awsome!
Thank you very much :)

5./JG27 Lehmann
04-10-2011, 01:34 PM
Very hit and miss for me -

Performance is GREATLY improved, but at the expense of seemingly-random crashes while loading games =/

Great start though!

Also hi@kegetys if you read this forum, I remember your awesome work from the golden days of OFP :)

Insuber
04-10-2011, 01:38 PM
Miracle mod! Passed from low 20's to ~50 fps in my test mission ... I was able to increase the res from 1200*768 to 1600*1024, and still keep ~30 fps ... GREAT KEGETYS, you are a genius!

reldnisch
04-10-2011, 01:42 PM
It works really fine! ~20 fps growth
Thank you very much, Kegetys!

S!

Karppa
04-10-2011, 01:55 PM
Excellent mod!

I get best improvement by using all 3 together. Individually only 5-10% increase in average fps but with all 3 at once it's about 40%!

Only downside is that the launcher sometimes crashes now.

Tvrdi
04-10-2011, 02:01 PM
they need to hire ppl from the community so this game can become playable...at least on new systems

Damixu
04-10-2011, 02:02 PM
Hi,

can someone make a step by step install please? I am no native speaker, reading on simhq too, its hard to understand. :(

Thanks for any help!!

1) Download SFS mod tool from: http://www.kegetys.net/misc/

2) Copy 'kegetys.dll' to your IL2:CoD steam folder (mine is: "E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover")
3) edit file "Launcher.exe.config" with Notepad and add bolded lines:

<applicationSettings>
<maddox.Properties.Settings>
<setting name="nativeDLL" serializeAs="String">
<value>parts\core\steam_api.dll</value>
</setting>
<value>kegetys.dll</value>
</setting>
</maddox.Properties.Settings>
</applicationSettings>

4) Download low resolution textures mod "lowtex.7z": from: http://junk.kegetys.net/xzy/lowtex.7z

5) Open "lowtex.7z" (you need free 7z unpacker for this - found googling the internet) and unpack lowtex folder to your IL2COD Steam folder (look above). It will show as "lowtex" subfolder under the IL2COD main folder.

6) Download mod disabling the SSAO effect: http://junk.kegetys.net/nossao_mod.zip

7) Open "nossao_mod.zip" and unpack it to IL2COD folder - It will show as "nossao" subfolder like the "lowtex" on item 5)

8.) Download No mipmaps mod: http://junk.kegetys.net/nomipmaps_mod.zip

9) Open "nomipmaps_mod.zip" and unpack it to IL2COD steam folder. It will show as "nomipmaps" subfolder under the IL2COD main folder.

10) Create new shortcut to you desktop to IL2COD launcher by locating "launcher.exe" from IL2COD steam folder and use mouse right-click popup menu and select there "Send to > Create Desktop (create shortcut).

11) Right click new shotcut and select "Properties"

12) Pick tab "Shortcut" and enter to line "Target": "E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\Launcher.exe" -mod=nossao -mod lowtex -mod=nomipmaps If you like to enable all three mods. You can remove any of -mod=(something) if you don't want to enable it.

13) Start Steam
14) Start IL2COD with your newly created desktop shortcut.

NOTES:
There is also possibility to run mods directly from Steam by entering those starting parameters somewhere to steam (can't remember exactly how). Then you don't have to do items 10 - 14.

You can add also "-disablecomposition" launch parameter to shortcut with to disable Windows Aero UI to free some resources.

"-mod=nomipmaps" launcher parameter makes buildings looking ugly and grainy but helps FPS a lot. Other two mods doesn't reduce overall visual glory in any visible way.

If you like nice smooth looking building (but way lower FPS) you might want to remove this "-mod=nomipmaps".

I had to start the game 2-3 again due having" Launcher.exe error" during startup of a mission having enabled nomipmaps mod but just restarting the game 2 times corrected the issue without anyting other special to do.

I hope this helps you....

Doc_uk
04-10-2011, 02:07 PM
YOu need to d/l not only the kegetys file, but d/l the nasao and lowtex zips.

the zips you extract to the install directory so you have two new folders nassao and lowtex.

I'm sure the guide was straight forward.

Goto steam library, right-click CoD and select properties, select "set launce options" and write -mod=nossao -mod=lowtex.
Do you mean right click Launcher, if so, when i right click there is no set launch options

Flanker35M
04-10-2011, 02:13 PM
S!

Doc, easiest to set the parameters is to open Steam -> Library -> Right click IL-2 Cliffs of Dover -> Properties. There in General is a box Set Launch options. Just paste the -mod=nossao there and press OK. If want all three, then just add them there and good to go.

Avala
04-10-2011, 02:16 PM
The textures in the game are "too big", that's the problem... the solution is not to reduce your resolution, but to reduce the texture sizes. Reducing the texture resolution will lower the overall image quality just a bit, on the other side, reducing your resolution will have a big impact in your IQ (worse if you use a LCD screen).

With the mod (lowtex and nossao) fix i've gained 25fps and less stutters, without any noticeable decrease in IQ.

Lowering resolution really was good solution so far, as Oldschool said. But, with some tweaking and tuning the textures maybe we didn't have to do that, which would be very good.

Anyway, I have the same problem as Doc_uk, I REALY dont understand what to do.

How I do this: "-Finally use -mod=nossao commandline parameter to
enable the mod for launcher.exe."?

Trumper
04-10-2011, 02:16 PM
I believe by lowering your screen resolution it automatically reduced texture res. Correct me if im wrong. Ive been telling people to lower there resolution for days to get better fps but most people here are either to ignorant , stubborn or too stupid too try it.
I am sorry but i didn't realise we would need a degree in computers to get this game playable in the first place.Why is it up to those volunteers to sort this out.
I hope if and when i get round to buying this sim they will include a computer guru that you can plug in and it will do the work for you :rolleyes:

LcSummers
04-10-2011, 02:18 PM

2) Copy 'kegetys.dll' to your IL2:CoD steam folder (mine is: "E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover")

<applicationSettings>
</setting>
</setting>
</applicationSettings>

4) Download low resolution textures mod "lowtex.7z": from: http://junk.kegetys.net/xzy/lowtex.7z

5) Open "lowtex.7z" (you need free 7z unpacker for this - found googling the internet) and unpack lowtex folder to your IL2COD Steam folder (look above). It will show as "lowtex" subfolder under the IL2COD main folder.

6) Download mod disabling the SSAO effect: http://junk.kegetys.net/nossao_mod.zip

7) Open "nossao_mod.zip" and unpack it to IL2COD folder - It will show as "nossao" subfolder like the "lowtex" on item 5)

9) Open "nomipmaps_mod.zip" and unpack it to IL2COD steam folder. It will show as "nomipmaps" subfolder under the IL2COD main folder.

10) Create new shortcut to you desktop to IL2COD launcher by locating "launcher.exe" from IL2COD steam folder and use mouse right-clip popoup menu and select there "Send to > Create Desktop (create shortcut).

12) Pick tab "Shortcut" and enter to line "Target": "E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\Launcher.exe" -mod=nossao -mod lowtex -mod=nomipmaps If you like to enable all three mods. You can remove any of -mod=(something) if you don't want to enable it.

13) Start Steam

There is also possibility to run mods directly from Steam by entering those starting parameters somewhere to steam (can't remember exactly how). Then you don't have to do items 10 - 14.

You can add also "-disablecomposition" launch parameter to shortcut with to disable Windows Aero UI to free some resources.

HIGH DAMIXU,

thank you very much, sure this helps, thank you, you re great man:grin:

Best regards

LC

Trumper
04-10-2011, 02:23 PM
Is it only me or isnt this very emberassing for 1 C? I mean come on!!! They are releasing a patch wich is not really fixing the performance issues this game has and then comes a skilled Programmer from Finland which does a much better job on his own? :evil:
This will be interesting to see which way the "official" developers take this.Will they see it as help or will they think their toes have been trodden on and batten down the hatches and ignore it.
If it goes completely wrong they could say the game has been cracked or modded illegally in some way.

Damixu
04-10-2011, 02:25 PM
"-mod=nomipmaps" launcher parameter makes buildings looking ugly and grainy but helps FPS a lot.

If you like nice smooth looking building (but way lower FPS) you might want to remove this "-mod=nomipmaps".

rivalsavages
04-10-2011, 02:34 PM
Well after these mods (not the mip map though) I was able to fly between Tower Bridge's towers one way, then fly back under the same bridge's Road the other way.

Until these mods there was no way I could have done this. I now need to have a lie down in a darkened room :grin:

Avala
04-10-2011, 02:34 PM
I found it. It was just need to read the readme to the end :P

DayGlow
04-10-2011, 03:01 PM
I am sorry but i didn't realise we would need a degree in computers to get this game playable in the first place.Why is it up to those volunteers to sort this out.
I hope if and when i get round to buying this sim they will include a computer guru that you can plug in and it will do the work for you :rolleyes:

Lowering your rez has been the best way to improve fps in any game since they started making them in resolutions higher than VGA.

Buzzer
04-10-2011, 03:05 PM
Good work!

Stuck at work now, so cannot test it.
But shows the game can get way smoother without too much degration of graphics. Hope 1C will implement this/similar as an official patch.

Everything looked so sullen (ie bad fps+stuttering) just a few days ago.
The last patch and this have really made the future for CoD look so much better imho. A totally different game from the 31st.

Will this cause any problems with online servers? Campatibility probs etc?
Not that there are so many servers online yet...

Damixu
04-10-2011, 03:28 PM
Good work!

Stuck at work now, so cannot test it.
But shows the game can get way smoother without too much degration of graphics. Hope 1C will implement this/similar as an official patch.

Everything looked so sullen (ie bad fps+stuttering) just a few days ago.
The last patch and this have really made the future for CoD look so much better imho. A totally different game from the 31st.

Will this cause any problems with online servers? Campatibility probs etc?
Not that there are so many servers online yet...

I've got Tsunami level improvement of playability (from very bad FPS and heavy stuttering on low/very low level settings to fluent FPS and almost no stutter using VERY HIGH setting on all) using Kege's mods.

edit: i7 920 @ 3.5Ghz, 6GB DDR3 ~1300Mhz, GTX280 1GB VRAM, SB X-FI Fatal1ty FPS, SSD Win7 x64 ultimate, game on other HDD, resolution: 1680x1050, settings all: Very high/High, no AA.

Schelle
04-10-2011, 03:32 PM
wow very nice job man
my fps jumped from 5 to 20 and no stutter
(over water with 12 aircraft)

but there's one problem
i see no muzzleflashes from guns and no fire
although i see the bullet casing falling out of the wing when firing

im running a 8600GT and had to change render settings to D3D9 manually in the conf-file otherwise they game refuses to start

any1 know how to fix that?
this done and i am happy so far

Damixu
04-10-2011, 03:38 PM
wow very nice job man
my fps jumped from 5 to 20 and no stutter
(over water with 12 aircraft)

but there's one problem
i see no muzzleflashes from guns and no fire
although i see the bullet casing falling out of the wing when firing

im running a 8600GT and had to change render settings to D3D9 manually in the conf-file otherwise they game refuses to start

any1 know how to fix that?
this done and i am happy so far

I also lose sometimes muzzle flashes and/or tracers. The all individual sounds come and goes whenever they pleases. The sound engine is still very much work-in-progress.

Rattlehead
04-10-2011, 03:40 PM
Incredible!

I got an instant 20 frames per second increase over land. :)

Someone hire this guy.

AwM
04-10-2011, 03:54 PM
I can confirm the mod gave me a huge performance boost. I can play on C2D 8400 (2x3ghz), radeon hd 4670 and 2.5gb of ram without any stutters. It's getting slower when I get close to the land, but at least I can fight on higher attitude with shadows turned on and models detail on high.

Gourmand
04-10-2011, 03:59 PM
magic !
dev should include this to their patch...
now i can tell it : i can play to cliff of dover !
thanks for this mod !!!

FAW_FoX
04-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Hello,
I've followed the step by step install, the -dump creates a _dump folder with things inside so i'm guessing that the kegetys.dll is working, but still, i've a "95% Launcher error" when trying to start a flight with -mod=nossao -mod=lowtex -mod=nomipmaps (the folders are present in my directory il2 cod).
(Didn't have before, of course).

Did I do something wrong ? Is there something to do in the graphical options menu ?

Thkx in advance.

3./JG51_Heiden
04-10-2011, 04:04 PM
What do I do with the lowtex files? Do I make a folder and add the command line to the launcher just like the others, or do I need to drag and drop these files somewhere? Help please!

EDIT:

This is what my shortcut target looks like:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\Launcher.exe" -dump -mod=nossao -mod lowtex -mod=nomipmap

Is this correct to make all the mods work? And this is applied to the desktop shortcut, and not the actual launcher.exe in the directory, right?

Damixu
04-10-2011, 04:08 PM
Hello,
I've followed the step by step install, the -dump creates a _dump folder with things inside so i'm guessing that the kegetys.dll is working, but still, i've a "95% Launcher error" when trying to start a flight with -mod=nossao -mod=lowtex -mod=nomipmaps (the folders are present in my directory il2 cod).
(Didn't have before, of course).

Did I do something wrong ? Is there something to do in the graphical options menu ?

Thkx in advance.

For me also I had to start the game two or three times again in order to get past from -mod=nomipmaps caused launcher.exe error...

I didn't do anything but just restarted 2-3 times again the game.

Flanker35M
04-10-2011, 04:08 PM
S!

Read the readme people! Each of the mods have one! It clearly states what to do and where to add files/commands :) LowTex folder goes into the game folder an you add the "-mod=lowtex" (without quotes) to the launch parameters of the Launcher.exe :)

Damixu
04-10-2011, 04:12 PM
S!

Read the readme people! Each of the mods have one! It clearly states what to do and where to add files/commands :) LowTex folder goes into the game folder an you add the "-mod=lowtex" (without quotes) to the launch parameters of the Launcher.exe :)

I took a liberty of quoting myself from 2 pages back to show step-by-step installation instructions:

<applicationSettings>
</setting>
</setting>
</applicationSettings>

10) Create new shortcut to you desktop to IL2COD launcher by locating "launcher.exe" from IL2COD steam folder and use mouse right-click popup menu and select there "Send to > Create Desktop (create shortcut).

13) Start Steam

NOTES:

"-mod=nomipmaps" launcher parameter makes buildings looking ugly and grainy but helps FPS a lot. Other two mods doesn't reduce overall visual glory in any visible way.

I had to start the game 2-3 again due having" Launcher.exe error" during startup of a mission having enabled nomipmaps mod but just restarting the game 2 times corrected the issue without anyting other special to do.

FAW_FoX
04-10-2011, 04:19 PM
Well, thanks, didn't see your note.
So, restarted the game, on the third restart it launched the mission, but unfortunately, no FPS gains... That's weird. Am I the first with no gains ?
(I run a custom mission 12v12 above the CHannel, medium clouds, config "pretty low":
i7 720QM
GTX260 270.51 Beta Nvidia drivers
4 Go DDRIII
7x64, All Aero desactivated
"smooth" 15-22 FPS,

Effets and models are "Medium", the rest if "Low", roads and grass desactivated, 1366*768
)

Damixu
04-10-2011, 04:28 PM
Well, thanks, didn't see your note.
So, restarted the game, on the third restart it launched the mission, but unfortunately, no FPS gains... That's weird. Am I the first with no gains ?
(I run a custom mission 12v12 above the CHannel, medium clouds, config "pretty low":
i7 720QM
GTX260 270.51 Beta Nvidia drivers
4 Go DDRIII
7x64, All Aero desactivated
"smooth" 15-22 FPS,

Effets and models are "Medium", the rest if "Low", roads and grass desactivated, 1366*768
)

You definately should gain some major improvement on your rig. It seems that the "kegetys.dll" helper utility (with added lines to config file) and/or "-mod=xxx" launch parameters are not in effect.

janik_dk
04-10-2011, 04:28 PM
Wow - what a great work by Kegetys!

The NoSSAO and noMipmaps really made a huge difference in performance..
(no mipmaps DO make the buildings uglier - but makes flying lov really smooth!)

The game is so much better now! (I actually manage to down a bf 110 today, after a long an intense dogfight - brilliant!)

Flanker35M
04-10-2011, 04:29 PM
S!

FoX. You got all installed as said? Then open Steam and go to Library. Right click IL-2:Cliffs OF Dover and select Properties. The first tab General has Change launch parameters box. Click it and add, for example, -mod=nossao and press OK. You have enabled the noSSAO mod. Same applies to other 2, just add -mod=lowtex for LowTextures and -mod=nomipmap for the MipMap fix. Leave a space between each parameter.

Geronimo989
04-10-2011, 04:49 PM
Help! the nomipmaps mod improves performance a lot, but crashes the game very often. Can it somehow be fixed???

FAW_FoX
04-10-2011, 04:58 PM
Hello,
so, I tried again:
2 Launches with Launcher error at 95%
1 Launch with mission working but still 20Fps.

Here's a screen of my install:
http://belkansquad.free.fr/Config.jpg

Kubiszko
04-10-2011, 05:02 PM
hello gents
how to understand it "- Edit the Launcher.exe.config file and add kegetys.dll there similar to steam_api.dll"
can anyone explain it like for child witchout english ;) ?

Flanker35M
04-10-2011, 05:03 PM
S!

Seems you have it all done right. Checked the folder structure so the mod folders are not doubled?

Kubiszko
04-10-2011, 05:07 PM
do i nead make a MOD folder?

GothicGhost
04-10-2011, 05:08 PM
With the mods on does anyone get that big round shadow over your plane ?

Gromic
04-10-2011, 05:21 PM

Delete the 4 files in the directory

...\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\lowtex\$bob\textures\Terrain\Detail\

Tone71
04-10-2011, 05:36 PM

Do you mean the weird ring of shadow? It is affected by 'Land Shading' option; on high you have spotlight under plane, surrounded by ring of shadow, less so on medium, disappears completely on low. Is this definitely mod related? I'll have a quick test... brb.

Edit: just read Gromic's post. Will try that.

Edit: That did it. Thanks!

FAW_FoX
04-10-2011, 05:48 PM
Hello,
reinstalled everything, rebooted, emptied bin, etc etc.
Same situation: 2 crashlaunches, 1 launch with no gains.
+

JG52Uther
04-10-2011, 05:56 PM
Just a question:If the team release a patch in a couple of days won't all this just be overwritten?

David198502
04-10-2011, 05:58 PM
Just a question:If the team release a patch in a couple of days won't all this just be overwritten?

im afraid it will.

Kankkis
04-10-2011, 06:00 PM

You can manually delete modsfolders and remove exe commands from steam.

Those folders are new folders, patch doesen't do anything to them.

LcSummers
04-10-2011, 06:12 PM
Really enjoying this forum guys. :-P

Hecke
04-10-2011, 06:18 PM
Thanks to the maker of this Mod.

Must be embarrassing for a whole dev team to be beaten by one? "normal" guy. Jeez.

GothicGhost
04-10-2011, 06:32 PM
Delete the 4 files in the directory

...\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\lowtex\$bob\textures\Terrain\Detail\

Thank you i will give it a try now :D

jflain
04-10-2011, 06:54 PM
Really not sure if added everything right. But on completion steam would not start and said game was unavailable. Anyone else had this?:(

kalimba
04-10-2011, 07:00 PM
Thanks to the maker of this Mod.

Must be embarrassing for a whole dev team to be beaten by one? "normal" guy. Jeez.

Well, it would be embarrassing if a normal guy would have come with a solution that made the game smooth with the great looking buildings...
I am pretty sure that 1C could have come with the same basic solution themselves...But then everyone would have flamed them for reducing the visual qualities...The real challenge is photorealistic + performance....;)

Salute !

Echo76
04-10-2011, 07:05 PM
@jflain : I got the same error, it gives that error message if you didn't add the kegetys.dll text correctly in the launcher.exe config file.

JG14_Jagr
04-10-2011, 07:19 PM

Its not as hard as you think.. and remember this is a 3rd party work around.. hopefully 1C will build in a setting check box disabled by default which you could simply check or not in the GUI.

The good news about this is that it makes the game run significant;y better.. not just a little bit. The people NOT seeing any improvement have probably NOT installed it properly :)

Fuchs
04-10-2011, 07:21 PM
Well, it would be embarrassing if a normal guy would have come with a solution that made the game smooth with the great looking buildings...
I am pretty sure that 1C could have come with the same basic solution themselves...But then everyone would have flamed them for reducing the visual qualities...The real challenge is photorealistic + performance....;)

Salute !

well, you are probably right so at this time Dev hasn't reach one of these goal...
no perfs and no photo real at all...

what about the real full screen? and V/Sync? and a real AA ?
what about the sounds??? hopefully Tiger33 already working on it...
and what about the rest?
FM seams to have same coding as the il2 one and there is no protection over it... what a good news for on-line play...
and more and more bug & unfinished things...
nice!!

i suppose no one here want to buy a new car without wheels, doors, engine, with the dealer saying "two more weeks for the doors, we are working hard for the weels and engine has to be removed because it's too heavy, we looking for a new one so it can take few time....."

it's look like a joke no??

you say that they are working hard??
well we pay for that no?
and for those like me how are playing since 2001, we pay at least 300€ / pers for the whole IL2 series.
just for remember:
IL2 (2001) 50€
FB (2003) 50€
AEP(2004) 50€
PF(fin 2004) 50€
Pe-2(2006) 50€
1946(2007) 50€

i really hope this game become a must have, so for the moment i'm very disappointing about all i see ...

JG14_Jagr
04-10-2011, 07:22 PM
This will be interesting to see which way the "official" developers take this.Will they see it as help or will they think their toes have been trodden on and batten down the hatches and ignore it.
If it goes completely wrong they could say the game has been cracked or modded illegally in some way.

The Devs are not stupid people. They are gearing up for the US launch and this information about ssao is very valuable to them because they can put in a very small amount of work and get a very large return on their time invested. If someone found out that a particular issue was breaking SLI and XFire, do you think they would ignore it?

The community here wants this game to succeed and be the foundation for future development and add ons. To do that the US release needs to be at least "well" received.. if the games performance goes up for the average user, it will be..

McDaniel
04-10-2011, 07:23 PM
Just FYI

I used all the mods and with the nomipmap mod the game crashed always at 90% at the loading screen.

I knew its the nomipmap mod so I started testing and I found the problem for me:

I removed the file in ....\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\nomipmaps\$core\painters

LandDefault.tep

and now it works, but I dont know maybe someone could fix the file?

McDan out

JG14_Jagr
04-10-2011, 07:27 PM

Salute !

And I for one do not want 1C and the Devs to STOP trying to achieve that goal.. thats what we all want.. but this MOD and other finds that people make will allow them to put out a product that is scalable and allows all the people they hope purchase it to have a good experience with it.. if that happens, reviews are good..and sales are good..and project continues into the future.. This is in everyones best interest. And while everyone is playing the game the Devs can be working in the background to optiimize and tune the game and implement new features they may not have had the time to get working or get working right.. its a win win.

I am not using mipmaps at all and I have not seen a single crash.. if you are crashing try not using that loading parameter and see what happens.

Wandalen
04-10-2011, 07:29 PM
Just FYI

I used all the mods and with the nomipmap mod the game crashed always at 90% at the loading screen.

I knew its the nomipmap mod so I started testing and I found the problem for me:

I removed the file in ....\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\nomipmaps\$core\painters

LandDefault.tep

McDan out

Same here!
But using the 2 other mods... hum... maybe 10fps more, not sure. :cool:

Echo76
04-10-2011, 07:30 PM
Just FYI

LandDefault.tep

McDan out

Excellent find, thx a lot!

Bertram W. Wooster
04-10-2011, 07:31 PM
For those who are experiencing crashes, try purging the cache in your documents folder. On Win7, this is in:

C:\Users\<USERNAME>\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\cache

Just delete all the files in that folder. They will be regenerated the next time you run CoD.

Qpassa
04-10-2011, 07:43 PM
mods 1 vanilla 0

fruitbat
04-10-2011, 07:47 PM
anyone else noticed that the g50 has disappeared after installing this?

no great loss, but.....

Flanker35M
04-10-2011, 07:52 PM
S!

How disappeared? Just flew it and worked just fine :)

McDaniel
04-10-2011, 08:10 PM
edit: findings not true

fruitbat
04-10-2011, 08:15 PM
S!

How disappeared? Just flew it and worked just fine :)

from in the QMB?, cause it missing in mine and a squadmates.

Flanker35M
04-10-2011, 08:20 PM
S!

Yes, single player in QMB. Flew over Dover :)

fruitbat
04-10-2011, 08:49 PM
S!

Yes, single player in QMB. Flew over Dover :)

well thats very weird, as myself and another don't have it anymore:(

nBiga
04-10-2011, 08:50 PM
I'm using Windows XP and no improvement :-x

Of course, nice work !!!!!:grin::grin:

Skarphol
04-10-2011, 09:10 PM
@jflain : I got the same error, it gives that error message if you didn't add the kegetys.dll text correctly in the launcher.exe config file.

I get the same error: "The game is currently unavailable. Please try again at a another time"
Now I've removed the new Launcher.exe and renamed the backup back to "Launcher.exe" but I still get the same error. So right now I can't play at all.

Hope I haven't ruined the game allready..

Skarphol

Mr_Zooly
04-10-2011, 09:19 PM
I seem to have misplaced the G-50 (I am the other that Fruitbat referred to) and it isn't there in either QMB or FMB and its not available to edit in the plane option either, very strange!

=XIII=nic0
04-10-2011, 10:00 PM
you just made my game much more playable.. MATE THANK YOU ;)

IbanezLaney
04-10-2011, 11:03 PM
im afraid it will.

Only the edited Launcher.exe.config file will MIGHT be overwritten. The mod folders will not be.

kalimba
04-10-2011, 11:04 PM
well, you are probably right so at this time Dev hasn't reach one of these goal...
no perfs and no photo real at all...

what about the real full screen? and V/Sync? and a real AA ?
what about the sounds??? hopefully Tiger33 already working on it...
and what about the rest?
FM seams to have same coding as the il2 one and there is no protection over it... what a good news for on-line play...
and more and more bug & unfinished things...
nice!!

i suppose no one here want to buy a new car without wheels, doors, engine, with the dealer saying "two more weeks for the doors, we are working hard for the weels and engine has to be removed because it's too heavy, we looking for a new one so it can take few time....."

it's look like a joke no??

you say that they are working hard??
well we pay for that no?
and for those like me how are playing since 2001, we pay at least 300€ / pers for the whole IL2 series.
just for remember:
IL2 (2001) 50€
FB (2003) 50€
AEP(2004) 50€
PF(fin 2004) 50€
Pe-2(2006) 50€
1946(2007) 50€

i really hope this game become a must have, so for the moment i'm very disappointing about all i see ...

Oh, I agree with you...At this point, COD is a dramatic disapointement compared to what was "promised" by 1C....Photorealistic ...Oleg's statement...More than 50 planes over London...Hightech engine with every bells and whistles...Super 3D clouds and dynamic weather...hum...
But beeing embarrassed by a quick fix that removes features so we can at least dogfight over water...? Like I said, if 1C had done that themselves,
then they would have faced a big embarrassement...;)

Salute !

FS~Phat
04-11-2011, 12:18 AM
I got a big improvement in every situation over water, land and down low strafing London. Still the occasional hitch as textures are swapped in GPU Vram but 40-45FPS strafing London in cockpit view is a huge improvement. I have 64FPS external view at building level in London. Over water Im at 100FPS consistently.

I now also have all graphics options set to max including unlimited buildings with roads and grass on & shadows off with no AA. No SSAO and No Mipmaps @ 1920x1080.

Experimenting with different settings with the game paused in London at building level with an external view, shadows is the heaviest overall impact on FPS performance, Roads and Grass are next followed by number of buildings. AA is a big FPS hit for cockpit view but not so much external, seems the AA is pretty much limited to the cockpit details.

All the other settings only vary avg FPS by 2-3FPS each compared to 10FPS+ improvement by turning off various check box options. The trees and building details seem to effect the smoothness of play but not the overall FPS too much at least on my system.

With SSAO off and some coding optimisation for texture swaps, Mipmapping and texture sizes from 1C I think the issues can now be quickly resolved for the majority of users!

System Spec
i7 950 @ 4.6Ghz
6GB DDR3 @ 2000Mhz
4 x 5870 GPU @ 1000/1300 (2 x 5870 + 5970)
2 x 128GB Vertex2 SSD RAID 0

Feathered_IV
04-11-2011, 02:03 AM
Huge improvement on a Q6600, 2gb DDR2, GTX260 low end job. Using a lower res than desktop but getting playable 35-45 over land with shadows on, low trees and medium shading. Previously I was getting 7fps. still stutters a fair bit down low, but the 8gb ddr3 that I've got on the way aught to look after that.

One thing though, I notice land textures are very blurry at altitude. Would disabling some part of the mod fix that?

FS~Phat
04-11-2011, 04:48 AM
Good BE Hardware article that both describes and shows the effect of SSAO on various scenes and video cards.

I wonder why 1C thought this was a useful effect for a flight sim? Looks to me like its most suited to first person shooters.

http://www.behardware.com/news/10344/nvidia-improves-graphics-quality-with-ssao.html

Fuchs
04-11-2011, 06:50 AM
Looks to me like its most suited to first person shooters.
you aren't alone, it look like to me too....
very useful in COD:rolleyes:

Phazon
04-11-2011, 07:12 AM
The only area its really noticable in CoD is in regards to the grass, it helps makes them look like they are casting a shadow. Without SSAO the grass just looks like it pops out of the terrain. However its not worth the performance hit at all.

salmo
04-11-2011, 07:27 AM
I know nothing about SSAO, but wikipedia indicates that the method has the following advantages:

Independent from scene complexity.
No data pre-processing needed, no loading time and no memory allocations in system memory.
Works with dynamic scenes.
Works in the same consistent way for every pixel on the screen.
No CPU usage – it can be executed completely on the GPU.
May be easily integrated into any modern graphics pipeline

If framerates increase when SSAO is turned off, doesn't this indicate serious issues between the game code & most GPU's?

cellinsky
04-11-2011, 07:54 AM
This mod points in the right direction. I was actually playing this game for the first time a whole evening long and really enjoyed it. Its actually very immersive, when everything will run as supposed. Combat feels much more real than in 1946, at least for me...

About SSAO: TOW: Korea as an example was only playable after I shut it off. This one is very heavy on GPUs in general, and not worth the gain in IQ. I preferre good made mid-res textures....And for a flight-combat-sim its useless most of the time anyway.

The biggest hog for me now: Buildings seems to show allways full detail, even on the lowest setting. Sure its incredible attention to detail, and looks very good. But fluid skimming is not possible at the moment. Less is more...

LODS handling in general should be more aggressie IMHO. Not to the extend of 1946, but a bit more would not hurt....

Thanks a lot to all involved in polishing up this gem

Marcello

IvanK
04-11-2011, 07:58 AM
Hmm SSAO is an item listed in the NVIDIA control panel. however when I try to create a profile for it it says "not supported for this application" and in Global settings its OFF anyway.

Though pointing to COD launcher.exe results in the FC2 Launcher.exe icon appearing so whether its really looking at COD or FC2 who knows.

So maybe ? it can be done through the Nvida CP ?

NVIDIA link:
http://www.behardware.com/articles/756-1/report-nvidia-improves-graphics-quality-with-ambient-occlusion.html

PzMeyer
04-11-2011, 07:59 AM
Hi,

just tried the NOSSAO mod and performance increased a lot on my rig.
Now i just have to get rid of stuttering and it is almost perfect :)

Wolf_Rider
04-11-2011, 08:19 AM
Hmm SSAO is an item listed in the NVIDIA control panel. however when I try to create a profile for it it says "not supported for this application" and in Global settings its OFF anyway.

Though pointing to COD launcher.exe results in the FC2 Launcher.exe icon appearing so whether its really looking at COD or FC2 who knows.

So maybe ? it can be done through the Nvida CP ?

NVIDIA link:
http://www.behardware.com/articles/756-1/report-nvidia-improves-graphics-quality-with-ambient-occlusion.html

The AO setting in nVcpl for Heaven (Unigine) is greyed out as well, but, in the Heaven cpl turning of AO makes a huge difference FPS wise, but starkens up the image

it points to the DCS launcher, not il2

IvanK
04-11-2011, 08:54 AM
Why does it point to the DCS launcher ? When I set up the profile I pointed to the correct path for COD launcher.exe. Pain that you cant modify an entry and therfore see the path.

I might try renaming the FC2 launcher.exe and see what happens.

JumpingHubert
04-11-2011, 09:18 AM
thanks kegety for this great mod (if he read this topic). He made in the past great mods for Operation Flashpoint and Arma too. Maddox team needs personal like him.

IvanK
04-11-2011, 09:21 AM
Re naming the FC2 Launcher.exe allows the COD Launcher.exe icon to appear in NVIDA CP. However the Ambient Occlusion setting is still greyed out and no selection is possible. Deleting the COD profile and relying on the Global profile and turning OFF Ambient Occlusion in that doesn't result in any increase in performance on my system.

Where does NVIDIA control panel get its info to know if the setting is available ? Does it interogate the exe file somehow or is it something that is simply listed in the driver ? ... implying that the latest driver would be required that has the COD variables in it ?

LcSummers
04-11-2011, 10:02 AM
Thanks to all who helped me and for sure kegety.

Really great modders here. After install there is a huge improvement for me too.

Great!

Salute

Eldur
04-11-2011, 10:16 AM
Looks like I'm able to run CoD at low settings now even with my unsupported graphics card by using the lowtex and nossao mods. S!

Just have to try out some settings and places like London now :D

I don't like hitting the ground/water all the time just because of the lack of shadows. If there's any way to have shadows on, but self shadowing off (especially in cockpit), I'd like to know how.

But I can bet it will run like hell when I'll get me a new 6950 :D

Buzzer
04-11-2011, 10:21 AM
Thank you Finland! (Kegetys)

About 10fps increase here.
Ables me to run the game with shadows now.

The no mipmaps is making the launcher to fail. Tried 10 times now...
Had to exclude that one.

IvanK
04-11-2011, 10:24 AM
With respect to Ambient Occlusion support in NVIDIA control panel it comes from within the driver. I just read on the Nvidia latest WHQL driver the following:

"Visual Quality

* Adds ambient occlusion support for one of the most popular games of the year: Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty. Ambient occlusion improves the quality of lighting, shadows, and depth perception in many parts of the game. Learn more on GeForce.com."

They also say its around a 30-35% performance hit:
http://www.geforce.com/#/News/articles/starcraft2ao

So I guess 1C needs to "liaise" with NVIDIA to get COD listed then hopefully it can be simply turned off that way.

Wolf_Rider
04-11-2011, 10:40 AM
@ Ivank...

Thanks for the feedback.

Interesting that changing the .exe name allows the profile to stick... maybe it is a date thing?

I only made comparison to Heaven and (other) game settings, which all have the nVcpl AO setting greyed out... yet with Heaven the option is still greyed out but there is a AO on/off tick in it's cpl.

I remember Luthier mentioning they may well have to get with nVidia, (could this be why?) though disabling it made the images more stark... possibly also for (I suspect) Anti-Aliasing being applied to all those trees (which is a 10fps hit in itself).

I do recall finding the nVidia profiles a while back and saw they do have the (particular) .exe path listed, when being curious about DCS BS and FC2 both having the same .exe name, but for the life of me I can't find them now.

machoo
04-11-2011, 11:06 AM
I made the most epic air battle , I had groups and groups of He-111's , 109 escorts and 30 odd spitfires attacking at 4am. With the rising sun , tracer fire and explosions and fps running an average of 89 it looked brilliant!

StreetGang
04-11-2011, 11:06 AM
Excellent improvement with Kegetys mods, he's the man once again.

Flanker35M
04-11-2011, 11:54 AM
S!

No more "in bed with nVidia", PLEASE! Original IL-2 had that and was a pain to those who did not have a "green" card. Sure making SSAO an option would solve this and/or contacting AMD on this how they support SSAO.

Anyways, using lowtex and nossao mods now = bliss :) For those with problems, clear the cache before enabling these mods/fixes.

Wolf_Rider
04-11-2011, 12:06 PM
solving it effectively would be bliss... turning it off (with side effects) isn't

6S.Manu
04-11-2011, 12:58 PM
I know nothing about SSAO, but wikipedia indicates that the method has the following advantages:

Independent from scene complexity.
No data pre-processing needed, no loading time and no memory allocations in system memory.
Works with dynamic scenes.
Works in the same consistent way for every pixel on the screen.
No CPU usage – it can be executed completely on the GPU.
May be easily integrated into any modern graphics pipeline

If framerates increase when SSAO is turned off, doesn't this indicate serious issues between the game code & most GPU's?

SSAO gives me problems with "Amnesia: The Dark Descent" (fps fall). It needs to be optional.

JumpingHubert
04-11-2011, 01:42 PM
ssoa gives " little bit faked soft shadows" or in other words: a littel bit darker scenery with a great performance hit.

I compared the fps in first test flight on open water

without mod: 72fps
-mod=nossoa: 104fps

all settings @highest.
Now we need working antialiasing. It looks horrible with 2xAA or no AA on 22" monitor.

DayGlow
04-11-2011, 01:54 PM
The nivdia control panel AO is a driver level AO that adds AO to games that originally didn't have it such as Source Engine games and some others. It doesn't toggle any feature within the game engines, it adds one, much like using AA on a game that doesn't support it within the engine, like il-2.

More recent games using dx9,10 or 11 have AO as part of the engine, like Crysis, Arma2, and now CoD. Most have options yo turn it on and off as it is a per pixel post processing filter, so as you increase Rez and add pixels you add more and more overhead.

PeterPanPan
04-11-2011, 01:54 PM
Could some PLEASE explain where to put the mod folders? I have read the instructions, added the new dll, added the command line parameters and read and tons of posts, but it is not at all clear to me. Do the mod folders go in the game folder or the install folder? Are they one and the same?

Just a simple folder path would be much appreciated - thanks.

PPP

Eldur
04-11-2011, 02:11 PM
Tried out now with Medium instead of low models and shadows on. It's like 50 instead of 60fps, not that huge hit. In General London is now like the rest before which is almost fluid now. I might also try out some more options and 1280 res instead of 1024... :D

At least I'm able to gain my first experiences until I've got a better card.

Eldur
04-11-2011, 02:17 PM
Just a simple folder path would be much appreciated - thanks.

http://home.arcor.de/eldur/bilder/cliffs-mod-files-1.jpg http://home.arcor.de/eldur/bilder/cliffs-mod-files-2.jpg

Launcher.exe.config:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<configuration>
<configSections>
<sectionGroup name="applicationSettings" type="System.Configuration.ApplicationSettingsGroup, System, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" >
<section name="maddox.Properties.Settings" type="System.Configuration.ClientSettingsSection, System, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" requirePermission="false" />
</sectionGroup>
</configSections>
<applicationSettings>
</setting>
</setting>
</applicationSettings>
<runtime>
<gcConcurrent enabled="true" />
<assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
<publisherPolicy apply="yes" />
<probing privatePath="parts/core;parts/bob" />
</assemblyBinding>
</runtime>
<startup>
<supportedRuntime version="v4.0" sku=".NETFramework,Version=v4.0,Profile=Client"/>
</startup>
</configuration>

mcmatt
04-11-2011, 04:28 PM
Great mod. Now flying quick mission Bomber intercept over London without problems! Controls are responsive as they should be.
+1

PeterPanPan
04-11-2011, 05:43 PM
http://home.arcor.de/eldur/bilder/cliffs-mod-files-1.jpg http://home.arcor.de/eldur/bilder/cliffs-mod-files-2.jpg

Thanks so much, really appreciate the help, +1.

Will give this another try now. I'm hoping my initial install was wrong be because I noticed NO improvement at all.

PPP

unknownraver
04-11-2011, 06:00 PM
Did all the mods as recommended and yes,there was great improvement. The game runs much smoother now. Intercepting bombers over the channel was great. Controls were responsive enough. it is still not perfect but definitely these mods made a huge difference on my machine. The game is playable.

JG14_Jagr
04-11-2011, 06:01 PM
Thanks so much, really appreciate the help, +1.

Will give this another try now. I'm hoping my initial install was wrong be because I noticed NO improvement at all.

PPP

The first time I tried it I failed.. I did not get the original Kefety.dll file (his sfsMOD from the original web link) Once you get that folder it has a readme that has the EXACT edit you need to make in RED text, you can just cut and paste it

nBiga
04-11-2011, 06:21 PM
Very nice!! trying with Windows 7 x64 and huge improvement!!!!!

blitze
04-11-2011, 06:22 PM
Thanks for this,

Did some runs over London free flight with 8 110's and then another with 2 Tigers and although there was a little stuttering - things were fluid.

1680 x 1050
Intel E8400 @ 3Ghz
ATI 4870 1Gb Vid Card
Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
SSD 120Gb primary drive and 1Tb 10k Secondary drive (COD Installed there).
4Gb Ram

running -mod=nossao -mod=lowtex in steam game start options.

All settings on High with 2xAA

b101uk
04-11-2011, 06:30 PM
:rolleyes:

Personally I think this mod is not really fixing anything it is mealy hiding/reducing the affects of the fundamental problem with how building LOD’s are handled and how building are loaded into the game.

There is no point in making the highest detail LOD available when you select “lowest detail buildings” there is no need to have building popup at close range followed by rapid LOD change until you get the highest LOD close by because building detail only affects the range that the LOD’s are seen rather than effectively just blocking the most detailed LOD’s and thus naturally limiting higher detailed 3d LOD modals, big texture and normal maps being loaded, if you only reduce the LOD range then you still have to load all the big textures and normal maps.

It would also have made more sense that if “flying” other than when one bailed out that the highest detail LOD was not available anyway as that detail is irrelevant >100mph >100ft

JG14_Jagr
04-11-2011, 06:44 PM
:rolleyes:

Personally I think this mod is not really fixing anything it is mealy hiding/reducing the affects of the fundamental problem with how building LOD’s are handled and how building are loaded into the game.

The only MOD which has a major impact is the nossoa MOD. That particular graphics shader is simply terrible in terms of the horse power needed to run it. In a perfect world, it would be great to be able to use it to get that last 5% of effect.. but not at a cost of 50% performance.. And thats NOT just related to this game, the developers of the effect warn that it will cost at least 35% performance hit..and they were not kidding :)

All the "MOD" is doing is turning off this particular lighting effect..its not altering or tweaking the game graphics engine at all.. It would be like a mod that turned off FSAA..

machoo
04-11-2011, 07:33 PM
Just curious , is this mod / tweak for english users only? I'm just thinking for Russians especially it would need to be written in 'gobble-dee-gook' lettering. Or can they just copy and paste this into their russian written config file. Is theirs even the same?

b101uk
04-11-2011, 07:41 PM
The only MOD which has a major impact is the nossoa MOD. That particular graphics shader is simply terrible in terms of the horse power needed to run it. In a perfect world, it would be great to be able to use it to get that last 5% of effect.. but not at a cost of 50% performance.. And thats NOT just related to this game, the developers of the effect warn that it will cost at least 35% performance hit..and they were not kidding :)

All the "MOD" is doing is turning off this particular lighting effect..its not altering or tweaking the game graphics engine at all.. It would be like a mod that turned off FSAA..

and which LOD's do you think "SSOA" has a natural hit in performance on, complex LOD with large textures/normal maps thus have small texel size and more normals to be perturbed and more chances of more pixels being occluded to various degrees thus require more sampling?

JG52Uther
04-11-2011, 08:46 PM
Worked for me! Over London yesterday was 20 FPS @ 1280 x 800, now this at 1680 x 1050!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/JG52Uther/2011-04-11_00001.jpg

JG14_Jagr
04-11-2011, 09:17 PM
Just curious , is this mod / tweak for english users only? I'm just thinking for Russians especially it would need to be written in 'gobble-dee-gook' lettering. Or can they just copy and paste this into their russian written config file. Is theirs even the same?

It works for the Russian version as well..those files are in English

BBrus
04-11-2011, 10:56 PM
Over water I can smoothly fly at 1920x1080 and nearly maximum settings.

Over land I have a lot of stutters and FPS are a bit lower, flyable but for the stutters.

AMD X4 3,5
GTX 460 1Gb
4Gb RAM

However, in game fonts are now FUBAR and strange characters appear.

Luftwaffle
04-12-2011, 04:46 AM
I didn't see any improvement. I don't think the mods are working for me.
What could I have done wrong? I've loaded it in like 3 times but it doesn't look any different to me visually.

ZaltysZ
04-12-2011, 05:44 AM
So I guess 1C needs to "liaise" with NVIDIA to get COD listed then hopefully it can be simply turned off that way.

In similar topic on sukhoi.ru, it was said, that option to disable AO will probably appear in next patch.

BernieBrown
04-12-2011, 02:30 PM
since im a pc-noob i don't wanna mess around the exe files and such. but i do hope that 1C can somehow without being hurt use the findings of kegetys and put it in a regular steam patch improving the game for everybody.

kegetys did some amazing stuff for ArmaA so i hope his magic can do some good with CoD!

mr71mb0
04-12-2011, 04:46 PM
I didn't see any improvement. I don't think the mods are working for me.
What could I have done wrong? I've loaded it in like 3 times but it doesn't look any different to me visually.

to check if the mod loader was working I ran it up with the -debug switch, if it's working it will create a _debug folder in your IL2 game dir. Just put the switch in and run the game to the title screen, then quit and check for the folder.

If it's there it means it's working and should load mods provided you have the Mod dirs in the right place and named correct and the lines in the launcher.exe.config.

Then delete the folder and remove the switch.

Kankkis
04-12-2011, 05:23 PM
-debug command does nothind new dir for me? either IL2 directories

I know my mods are working because i see shimmering if i use NOMIPMAP mod.

JG14_Jagr
04-12-2011, 06:00 PM
-debug command does nothind new dir for me? either IL2 directories

I know my mods are working because i see shimmering if i use NOMIPMAP mod.

That would mean the mipmap mod is working.. I don't see any real difference with the nossoa mod running others than a huge FPS jump I think that just running the nossoa and the lotex mods are all anyone would need at this time.. the no mipmap mod seems like it might cause some stability issues for some people too..so why bother..

GOZR
04-12-2011, 06:35 PM
And ofcourse the location of the conf.ini is in
C:\Users\yourname\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\

Not in the root directory.. well actually the one that work ;)

IKKYO
04-12-2011, 08:20 PM
Well that's it I am not going to buy a game that already been hacked. So I guess I'm done with spending money on IL-2

Rocka
04-12-2011, 08:47 PM
I had problems at first getting it to work properly even though I did everything according to the original post. Didn't notice any improvement at first try.

Then I read somewhere that the cache file in the game folder could be the problem.

So what I did was:

In steam - Right click on the game name under your Library, then choose -> Properties -> Local Files -> Defragment Cache Files.

Went from ~25fps to 65fps average in soloflight, pretty impressive boost I'd say.

Bakelit
04-12-2011, 09:13 PM
snip
So what I did was:

In steam - Right click on the game name under your Library, then choose -> Properties -> Local Files -> Defragment Cache Files.

Went from ~25fps to 65fps average in soloflight, pretty impressive boost I'd say. snip

Thank you Rocka, defragging cache is a very helpful tip.

Got a modest improvement (my NV 330 is not a strong GPU) but went from 18 to 27 in BF 109 cockpit view over the channel. Which is from unplayable to playable.

jimbop
04-12-2011, 09:30 PM
Well that's it I am not going to buy a game that already been hacked. So I guess I'm done with spending money on IL-2

It hasn't been hacked, it's been modded.

Tvrdi
04-12-2011, 10:01 PM
Thank you Rocka, defragging cache is a very helpful tip.

Got a modest improvement (my NV 330 is not a strong GPU) but went from 18 to 27 in BF 109 cockpit view over the channel. Which is from unplayable to playable.

I just installed nvidia beta drivers 270.51 and did defrag of game cache files and my average fps went up by 10...but....game is still not smooth at all and stutters badly....I was thinking...whats about sound options...only basic options there...

Rocka
04-12-2011, 10:50 PM
I just installed nvidia beta drivers 270.51 and did defrag of game cache files and my average fps went up by 10...but....game is still not smooth at all and stutters badly....I was thinking...whats about sound options...only basic options there...

Using the same drivers too.

Not much to do about the sound atm I guess, except turning the (very annoying) voices off I guess ;)

Biggest fps killer for my rig atm is the shadows option (not the land shading though).
Hate to turn it off casue the game is so pretty with shadows enabled, but atm I loose about 20-25 fps and the stuttering becomes very annoying.

IKKYO
04-12-2011, 11:36 PM
It hasn't been hacked, it's been modded.

Well, no thanks I done with mods look at IL2 there are way too many mods and different version loaded on my machine. Its crazy.

I was hoping that at least that CoD would have been one size fits all.

I am soooooooooooooooooooooo done with mods.

Very disappointed after 7 years.

Ataros
04-12-2011, 11:50 PM
Il-2:CoD was created for mods according to Oleg. This was the original plan.
They promised however to limit online to authorized mods only.

Wolf_Rider
04-12-2011, 11:50 PM
Apparently, Steam sets it back to one size fits all, at least in multiplayer ?

JG14_Jagr
04-13-2011, 01:55 AM

Hacked? What are you talking about? If I told you to turn off Anti Aliasing in a game would you say I hacked it? Thats what this does, it turns off a particular graphics shader that is KILLING fps at the moment..

Damixu
04-13-2011, 04:23 AM
Here's new information regarding Launcher.exe crashing with the Kege's mods:

Before I didn't get any crashes. I installed TrackIR5 (5.1.3) software and I had all three mods enabled. After this I got every time "Launcher.exe crashing" during startup of any single mission.

I removed -mod=nomipmaps and the game started without problems and TrackIR works just fine.

There's somekind of incompability between TrackIR software and NoMipMaps mod...

Moggy
04-13-2011, 09:38 AM
Here's new information regarding Launcher.exe crashing with the Kege's mods:

Before I didn't get any crashes. I installed TrackIR5 (5.1.3) software and I had all three mods enabled. After this I got every time "Launcher.exe crashing" during startup of any single mission.

I removed -mod=nomipmaps and the game started without problems and TrackIR works just fine.

There's somekind of incompability between TrackIR software and NoMipMaps mod...

I don't think it's TrackIR as I've had the same issue and I don't own TrackIR. This worked for me, worth a try but remember to backup the file 1st...

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/3266844/Searchpage/1/Main/331065/Words/landdefault./Search/true/Re_Performance_improvement_mod.html#Post3266844

atheelen
04-14-2011, 02:19 AM
This is a great set of tweaks. I’m running at 90 to 65 fps in combat missions over land or water.
I love this game now!
Thanks for making it so playable.

Deadstick
04-16-2011, 02:28 PM
Not sure if anyone posted this above, but if you use these mods won't you get banned from online play?

BigC208
04-16-2011, 02:46 PM
Not sure if anyone posted this above, but if you use these mods won't you get banned from online play?

Yes, Luthier said a few days ago that using the mods offline, and talking about it is ok but will get you a ban online. You don't need the mods now with yesterdays beta patch.

Deadstick
04-17-2011, 12:30 AM
Thanks BigC.

GOZR
04-17-2011, 04:12 AM
Here the chat and system notifications same as IL2 1946

http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp344/GOZR/shot_20110416_183439.jpg

http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp344/GOZR/shot_20110416_183905.jpg

Sauf
04-17-2011, 04:19 AM
Can you post the confuser setting for that pls Gozr?

GOZR
04-17-2011, 04:54 AM
In your \Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\confUser.ini

[ChatWindow]
0:-1=-posSize '0.939 0.942 0.061 0.058' -titleStr "Motor Controls" -border -alpha 130 -ualpha 0 -wrap -history 200 -timeout 10
0:262144=-lay 1 -fnt 0 -clr 0
1:-1=-posSize '0.832 0.803 0.167 0.145' -titleStr "Secondary Controls" -alpha 130 -ualpha 0 -history 200 -timeout 10
1:6=-font 0
1:5=-font 0
1:4=-font 1
1:7=-font 0
2:-1=-posSize '0.000 0.001 0.407 0.200' -titleStr Voice -alpha 130 -ualpha 0 -wrap -history 200 -timeout 10
2:2=-font 0
3:-1=-posSize '0.002 0.847 0.331 0.153' -titleStr "Info. Window 1" -border -alpha 130 -ualpha 0 -vscroll -includeTime -history 400 -timeout 10
3:3=-font 3
3:131072=0
3:1=-font 3
4:-1=-posSize '0.171 0.323 0.687 0.352' -titleStr NetStats -title -border -alpha 50 -ualpha 0 -custom
4:-2=-font 3 -color 139 -columnWidth '0.100 0.183 0.322 0.144 0.093 0.081' -columnSort 2

Sauf
04-17-2011, 07:24 AM
S~Thanks Gozr

meplay
04-17-2011, 08:14 AM
In your \Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\confUser.ini

[ChatWindow]
0:-1=-posSize '0.939 0.942 0.061 0.058' -titleStr "Motor Controls" -border -alpha 130 -ualpha 0 -wrap -history 200 -timeout 10
0:262144=-lay 1 -fnt 0 -clr 0
1:-1=-posSize '0.832 0.803 0.167 0.145' -titleStr "Secondary Controls" -alpha 130 -ualpha 0 -history 200 -timeout 10
1:6=-font 0
1:5=-font 0
1:4=-font 1
1:7=-font 0
2:-1=-posSize '0.000 0.001 0.407 0.200' -titleStr Voice -alpha 130 -ualpha 0 -wrap -history 200 -timeout 10
2:2=-font 0
3:-1=-posSize '0.002 0.847 0.331 0.153' -titleStr "Info. Window 1" -border -alpha 130 -ualpha 0 -vscroll -includeTime -history 400 -timeout 10
3:3=-font 3
3:131072=0
3:1=-font 3
4:-1=-posSize '0.171 0.323 0.687 0.352' -titleStr NetStats -title -border -alpha 50 -ualpha 0 -custom
4:-2=-font 3 -color 139 -columnWidth '0.100 0.183 0.322 0.144 0.093 0.081' -columnSort 2

Ive copied this to my confUser.ini (after backing up),gone into game and it still the same as before? any ideas?

JG14_Jagr
04-17-2011, 09:38 AM
Did you copy it to the version of the confUser.ini in the main program folder or in the documents folder?

meplay
04-17-2011, 10:21 AM
In the Document folder. think i should try it in both?

nuNce
11-05-2011, 04:28 PM
Hello,
I have a problem with the lowtex mod. When installed, my game crashes during the mission loading (almost immediately, 0%). Does it mean it is no more supported?

Helrza
11-05-2011, 04:46 PM
Hello,
I have a problem with the lowtex mod. When installed, my game crashes during the mission loading (almost immediately, 0%). Does it mean it is no more supported?

yeh, that one dont work no more. Was made and updated for a specific patch, but no longer compatible with newer patches. Same with the nomipmap and a few others. The game runs good without them now anyways :)

nuNce
11-05-2011, 05:48 PM
Yeah, I'm kind of 40-50ish when not over cities and 30ish when on them (or in fights) on medium (and most demanding stuff disabled) with a X4 965 and a HD5770 so I'm kind of cool with that for now. I hope they really give us that 50% increase (altough I'm not much confident, seen this happen over and over) but I will probabily upgrade in the near future. For now I just train myself proper flying and engine management, since coming from 1946 it was a huge innovation for me. Love that part of the game and the damage model. It's really a shame this game has such poor performances (and I can't really imagine how it was few months ago), cause personally bugs don't annoy me as much as playing with low fps.

diveplane
11-13-2011, 05:39 PM
i tried disable HDR ingame, but the userconfig setting wont allow it turned off.

some of these options could be added into user interface ingame.

[core]
RandSeed = 0
TexQual=2
TexFlags.PolygonStipple=0
Shadows=0
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=1
LandShading=1
LandDetails=1
Sky=3
Forest=1
................................VisibilityDistance =2 .default was 3 i turned down
LandGeom=2
DrawCollisions=1
Water=-1
Effects=1
EffFlags.Light=1
EffFlags.SpriteRender=0
Grass=-1
CordEffect=1
UseFog=0
UseLandCube=1
UseLandConnectedObject=1
LinearObjectManager=1
Roads=1
Sun=1
Clouds=1
EffFlags.LightSpritesProj=1
ShadowMapSize=5
TexFlags.AsyncLoad=1
TexFlags.ShowTexture=0
SimpleMesh.SWTransform=0
SimpleMesh.QuadTreeClip=1
SimpleMesh.InstancingHW=1
EffFlags.LightContextSprites=1
CloudsFlags.Detailed=1
.............................TexFlags.CreateHDR=1 this is default, does not work changing setting, game does not launch.
Decals=1
EffFlags.SWLight=0
TexFlags.CockpitOnePass=0
MegaTexture=0
TexFlags.Reflection=0
RenderTargetQual=3
MSAA=1
MeshStatics=0
MeshStaticsDetail=0
SimpleMesh.QTNoCompose=0
MeshFirstLod=0
MeshShowLod=0
SpawnHumans=0
TexFlags.SSAO=0
TexFlags.VSync=0
TexFlags.FastTransparency=1
.................................................. ......

will test a few more of these ingame .

51st_FC
12-09-2011, 05:15 PM
First of all Thank You for the mod, I added the text and the dll. file but it didn't seem to improve my fps at all. I am wondering if I did not correctly add the sfs edit. Would anyone be so kind as to post a screenshot of there launcher config after they installed the Mod.

KG26_Alpha
12-09-2011, 05:28 PM
First of all Thank You for the mod, I added the text and the dll. file but it didn't seem to improve my fps at all. I am wondering if I did not correctly add the sfs edit. Would anyone be so kind as to post a screenshot of there launcher config after they installed the Mod.

Hi FC

Forget those mods fella they are old ones.

Just use the default textures and make sure that the game is patched via steam.

Post back here specific problems you might have with your system specs inc OS.

:)

=FI=Murph
12-19-2011, 01:02 PM
Isn't this still the only way to get FSAA working? Did they finally fix it in the latest patch or did I miss that?

stratman
12-29-2011, 04:23 PM
Just spent an afternoon trying to get these mods to work with no luck, now getting to the end of the thread and reading that they don't work after the patch! Can someone in admin remove old threads suggesting fixes that no longer work?

KG26_Alpha
01-04-2012, 03:50 PM
Just spent an afternoon trying to get these mods to work with no luck, now getting to the end of the thread and reading that they don't work after the patch! Can someone in admin remove old threads suggesting fixes that no longer work?

Only if someone reports them as being redundant.

We dont have time to sift through every single post unfortunately.

As I'm in here anyway, looking for something else, I'll do so.