PDA

View Full Version : Cliffs of Dover is a lot of FUN!!!!

Roger Wilco
04-09-2011, 07:38 PM
You know, I'm having a real fun time with this game. last night I made myself a nice, fun little mission over France. Me in my 109 taking on 3 spitfires along the coast. It was 5 am in the morning, I added storm clouds to the map in the FMB. Full engine management on and 100% realism. Had a fantastic time hunting down those spits I can tell ya....!!

I just want to say thanks to the team for making the best world war 2 flight sim ever created. The cockpits are mind-blowing, the 109 cockpit is just freakin amazing looking!

This game is only going to get better and better with time, like a fine wine.

keep up the great work guys, and don't let the complainers get you down.

Roger Wilco
04-09-2011, 08:03 PM
But that's the point ! I can play it my way, how I want to. with the aircraft I choose, and the skins I like, at the time of day I want. AND on top of that, there is a single player campaign if I want it.

Ailantd
04-09-2011, 08:09 PM
It's exceedingly funny to me how a 50 dollar new PC game requires one to be building one's own content in a mission builder to indeed have "a lot of fun" with the game.

Nice Content!

The misconception here is that this "thing" is not a game, it is a simulator, that is a very different thing and is a lot more important give the tools for make your own content that give you the content allready builded. Has the other CoD, wich is a game, some tools to make your own missions? Think about that. A simulator is always supported by the community. This way in a month you will have a lots of content, missions and campaigns ready to add to the sim made by users. A lot more than developers could do.

JG52Krupi
04-09-2011, 08:11 PM
It's exceedingly funny to me how a 50 dollar new PC game requires one to be building one's own content in a mission builder to indeed have "a lot of fun" with the game.

Nice Content!

Your telling me that you wouldnt be able to make a mission like that WITHOUT the use of a mission builder..... i have made plenty of 3v1 by just changing the aircraft and number in a quick mission and i have only used QMB to apply skins!!!

Hellbender
04-09-2011, 08:13 PM
I would conceive CoD as a Game in Contrast to techincal simulations like DCS-A10, which is totally about the technical details. CoD on the contrary has a technical component which plays a minor role in my eyes. They seem to be complicated, however the mechanism behind it is very easy to conceive and doesn´t require to push approx 80 buttons and w8t 10 mintes to start the (A-10) plane.

doghous3
04-09-2011, 08:17 PM
Fun it is. Soon as the game is stable and runs as best as it should I'll be recommending it to friends without a doubt.

FMB is great to use; and what better way to add longetivity to a game..

I play the 128 plane mission I made, that's something else I tell ya.

David Hayward
04-09-2011, 08:47 PM
By the way, that other COD, let's say Black Ops,... blah...blah...blah...

Black Ops isn't a WW2 flight sim.

JG52Krupi
04-09-2011, 08:49 PM
Ah, it's a 50 dollar piece of software distributed on Steam published by Ubisoft with a multiplayer option, not to mention the shooting and such. It's a game.

Get a grip on reality.

By the way, that other COD, let's say Black Ops, currently and at launch has way more multiplayer maps than this game. No need to create content, slick, as Treyarch keeps putting out more paid content. I'd be glad to pay for more content for this game produced by professionals, as soon as Maddox Games hires some <rimshot>, and as soon as it finishes the frigging game. And it is a game. Make no mistake.

Black Ops also happens to run on a heavily modified Quake 3 engine, yet that game often looks way better and performs better than this game run on the same hardware.

Wow a poster comparing an FPS to a flight sim, now i have seen it all... :rolleyes:

David Hayward
04-09-2011, 08:54 PM
I didn't bring up the other COD, bro-seph. The guy to whom I was responding did. Take it up with him.

He only pointed out that people can create missions for this CoD. You didn't have a response to that, so you moved the goalposts.

David Hayward
04-09-2011, 08:59 PM
Read the thread, dude. The original poster asserted he was making his own fun with the FMB. His words, not mine.

And I found it ridiculous that in a brand new game one has to resort to content creation tools to have "a lot of fun", the implication being that this game is exceedingly short of content made by supposed professionals.

If you don't like the content, don't buy the game.

David Hayward
04-09-2011, 09:05 PM
His assertion would seem to be that Cliffs of Dover is somehow superior in that it has content creation tools. My assertion, and the sales of Black Ops bares this out, is that it doesn't need them.

He just said he was having fun, and you were trolling for a fight. Don't try to pretend that there is anything else going on here.

David Hayward
04-09-2011, 09:17 PM
Again, not the point.

Yes, it is the point. You are whining about the lack of content. If you don't like the content, don't buy the game.

There is no room in the games industry for poorly produced, buggy, late, not-feature-complete games.

Except for the people who are having fun playing it, apparently.

David Hayward
04-09-2011, 09:23 PM
No, I was counteracting his pollyanna-ish assertions in the light of the many, many problems with this game. I was also providing commentary on his implication that people who have problems with the completeness of this game are somehow merely "complainers". Those "complainers" are customers and have every right to be heard from and every reason to be listened to, which the original poster seems not to agree with.

He said he was having fun and you started whining about lack of content. Don't try to pretend that you weren't trolling for a fight.

David Hayward
04-09-2011, 09:26 PM
Subjective assertion about the nature of my complaint. There is a lack of content. That is a fact. There is no whining. I am stating facts.

There appears to be plenty of content for him. So what you are really stating is your opinion. And you are whining (in my opinion).

A lot of people are stupid. It can't be helped.

You could stop posting. That might help.

Sauf
04-09-2011, 09:27 PM
I myself never even play the missons that come with game, build them in FMB or play online in co-ops ect, its one of the best features of the game. If I wanted what Tanner recommends I buy console games.

Different Strokes ect

Avala
04-09-2011, 09:30 PM
The misconception here is that this "thing" is not a game, it is a simulator, that is a very different thing and is a lot more important give the tools for make your own content that give you the content allready builded. Has the other CoD, wich is a game, some tools to make your own missions? Think about that. A simulator is always supported by the community. This way in a month you will have a lots of content, missions and campaigns ready to add to the sim made by users. A lot more than developers could do.

I'm sure that USAF, RAF, Boeing and such have simulators. This is actually simulation :)

Not finished, and unplayable (hopefully most of us "the fans" are in our middle years, so there is a chance that we even could see it finished and playable . . . ) , but whatever simulation.

JG52Krupi
04-09-2011, 09:32 PM
Again, not the point. The point is due to a lack of content in a brand new game a player resorted to the Full Mission Builder to make his own fun, as it were.

It continues to amaze me how many excuses people are willing to make for this game in an industry and a pastime that is saturated with content and highly quality content in general.

There is no room in the games industry for poorly produced, buggy, late, not-feature-complete games.

The point is that if you want to make your own mission you can HE said he had fun doing it, he didnt say he didnt have fun playing the current missions.

Your post makes no sense THERE are loads of games that have been pushed out to early and bugged. It's just unfortunate that this is becoming an acceptable working practice to release a bugged game and then patch it to a playable state and a lot of those game turn out to be amazing :eek:.

Rattlehead
04-09-2011, 09:39 PM
Further, I will assert that 90% of people playing Cliffs of Dover will never use the Full Mission Builder, so it seems like a lot of resources allocated to a set of features that a very small minority of the playerbase will ever use.

Rubbish.

The Il-2 players I know all use the FMB extensively, myself included. It's always been one of the things I've loved most about Il-2 - the ability to make missions exactly how you want them to be.

As to the thread...I agree; it's a lot of fun. I'm trying to play without icons, but golly it's tough. I'll keep persisting though. :)

David Hayward
04-09-2011, 09:41 PM
Incorrect by his own actions. He felt he had to make his own mission days after the game just released. Nearly by definition that precludes making the assertion that there is "plenty of content".

It does nothing of the sort. Making up your own mission is completely unrelated to the existing content.

Rattlehead
04-09-2011, 09:42 PM
I myself never even play the missons that come with game

Me either. I've created several custom missions with the FMB and have never even looked at the single missions, and probably never will.

squidgyb
04-09-2011, 09:46 PM
Yay. Another shitstorm thread.

"I like the game"

"This is why you shouldn't like the game"

etc etc etc

I may be slightly drunk, but I feel like I want to shout STOP IT.

Stop the internet arguments picking each others posts apart word by word.

Some people are enjoying the (game/sim?) some people are upset by the peceived lack of support/content - why do we have to jump on the opposite opinion every time and agrue down that opinion until it's reduced to the words they said and half of it is taken out of context?

Arrrgh. I'm arguing about the same thing now. Kindof. Meh.

I'm enjoying it. I admittedly have the PC to be able to, but don't knock the people who *are* enjoying it. Either be patient, fight your way for a refund off whoever you bought it from, or express your opinion in a way that doesn't drag yet another thread into another (boring) argument.

Hunden
04-09-2011, 09:50 PM
Again, I didn't bring up Call of Duty. The other guy did. I was merely wiping his nose in his own stink.

The first poster was just saying how much fun he was having and you bring in your "STINK" from nowhere. You did'nt wipe anybodies nose you just forgot to wipe your ass.:confused:

Redroach
04-09-2011, 10:14 PM
I would conceive CoD as a Game in Contrast to techincal simulations like DCS-A10, which is totally about the technical details. CoD on the contrary has a technical component which plays a minor role in my eyes. They seem to be complicated, however the mechanism behind it is very easy to conceive and doesn´t require to push approx 80 buttons and w8t 10 mintes to start the (A-10) plane.

Well, you're slightly wrong about that... granted, you don't have to push 80 buttons to start, but that's just because 1940s planes didnt HAVE 80 buttons to work with.
If some reasonable metric is applied to both 'games' in order to compare realism, I'm pretty sure CoD would beat that A-10 thingy by a fair margin.

Of course, you could approach CoD as a game, that's what the realism switches are for. Come some time, you can download a campaign from somewhere and having a blast, if you're already through the stock campaigns.

Though I have to admit that CoD definate lacks a dynamic mission generator and the ranks/medals features. That's definately missing for me.

squidgyb
04-09-2011, 10:15 PM
It is completely related for the fact of what he didn't say.

He didn't say, "Wow, the campaign is great." Why? Because it isn't and it is way too short.

He didn't say, "Loving those single player missions". Why? Because they are mere variations on a theme and so few.

He didn't say "Loving that dynamic campaign." Why? Because it doesn't frigging exist as the game is not-feature-complete for a feature that was advertised 5 years ago as a major game feature.

He chose to create a mission in FMB, maybe to get those clouds that you can't get elsewhere, because there was so little compelling content to keep him otherwise occupied.

If one is looking for things to do (as I am) in a game that just launched, there is a serious problem. There is little content in this game in terms of missions and features, and most of that content is in no way compelling in comparison to other PC games within the genre and outside of it. That is fact. Not opinion.

So you've constructed your entire argument over the things someone didn't say in his post?

and italicise that point, just in case you didn't spot the importance of this little tidbit of information]

Sutts
04-09-2011, 10:30 PM
Why don't you just pi$$ off Tanner? The guy is genuinely having fun with the game and you have to come along and mess up one of the few positive threads we have going. Give me a break. For many of us, creating custom missions is a big part of the enjoyment. It says nothing about the the quality or quantity of the stock missions.

David Hayward
04-09-2011, 10:31 PM
It is completely related for the fact of what he didn't say.

I see. So, you figured out that he really thinks the game doesn't have enough content because of things he did NOT say? Amazing.

David Hayward
04-09-2011, 10:33 PM
Just to emphasize, at no point has Tanner stated that he (Tanner) isn't a moron.

David Hayward
04-09-2011, 10:42 PM
No, I am building on my argument by pointing out what he didn't say

Tanner, building an argument around what people haven't said is path that can come back to bite you in the @ss. For instance, we're still waiting for a definitive statement from you on whether or not you're a moron.

David Hayward
04-09-2011, 10:45 PM
At least neoqb, makers of Rise of Flight, had the good sense to put up its own multiplayer servers to support its customers rather than letting its customer flounder about with a joke for a multiplayer experience that this game has.

Oddly, the RoF community seems very concerned that IL-2 1946 multiplayer servers are busy while their's are often empty.

squidgyb
04-09-2011, 10:51 PM
You know, I'm having a real fun time with this game. last night I made myself a nice, fun little mission over France. Me in my 109 taking on 3 spitfires along the coast. It was 5 am in the morning, I added storm clouds to the map in the FMB. Full engine management on and 100% realism. Had a fantastic time hunting down those spits I can tell ya....!!

I just want to say thanks to the team for making the best world war 2 flight sim ever created. The cockpits are mind-blowing, the 109 cockpit is just freakin amazing looking!

This game is only going to get better and better with time, like a fine wine.

keep up the great work guys, and don't let the complainers get you down.

I see no assertion that the OP "chose" to "create a mission instead of playing the existing content" - he simply stated that he had fun in the FMB.

I haven't tried multiplayer but this isn't the point - you're venting your anger in a random thread which happens to be the opposite of your opinion as to the state of the game in a completely non-constructive manner.

The way to get these things across is maybe to start your own thread - don't rant - just highlight (even bullet point if you feel the need to) the exact issues you see as being a problem.

Jumping into another thread and throwing your opinion around isn't the way to go about it. That's what I'm doing here, it's true, but I'm fed up with people either flatly decrying the game as a piece of shit or touting their opinon as gospel.

The game is in a state of uncertainty and will undoubtedly develop and evolve over the next few weeks, months, and most assuredly, years. You really should understand that above all (as Rise of Flight certainly went through a lot of the same issues in the early days, as did the original IL2 and, well, pretty much any other game which isn't developed by a huge team with wads of cash backing them up. And even they get delayed.) this is and will be worked on for some time to come.

There's no point just arguing about whether it's shit/lack of content etc.

Argue about what you see is missing, in a place and time that suits it (your own thread? a thread which is actively discussing these problems?) and maybe help try to steer the opinions of the people who are working on this to get those points worked on...

David Hayward
04-09-2011, 10:52 PM
I infer that there is a lack of content in the mind of the poster because he chose to highlight a mission that he created on his own rather than point to existing content as an exemplar of what is "fun" about the game. He chose to create a mission rather than to be engaged with the existing content.

That's great. Using that very same logic we can infer that you're a moron. You could have said that you're not a moron, but you chose not to. QED

What else needs to be said?

jibo
04-09-2011, 10:56 PM
Tanner why are you still on this forum btw ?

Sven
04-09-2011, 10:58 PM
The FMB comes straight out of heaven, the amount of fun I had with it is incredible, it was my only offline entertainment, as well as other campaigns made in the FMB by other users.

Now that I can simulate complete tank battles and many more, this is gonna kick ass even more!:grin:

David Hayward
04-09-2011, 10:58 PM
Tanner, if you don't like the lack of support for multi-player right now, don't buy the game.

David Hayward
04-09-2011, 11:00 PM
Funnily enough, you have rather asserted by your actions and statements that you are what I have not claimed not to be.

What's the saying, "Every fox smells his own hole?"

Tanner, I'm just following YOUR logic.

David Hayward
04-09-2011, 11:00 PM
And what if I have.

You are SOL.

jibo
04-09-2011, 11:04 PM
this game is indeed a barrel of fun ;)

David Hayward
04-09-2011, 11:11 PM
And you conceded to all my points for having said that.

Thanks for playing.

Too funny. If I didn't concede your points by something I said, I 'm sure I would have conceded them by something I didn't say...:rolleyes:

bongodriver
04-09-2011, 11:23 PM
Forget it, dude. I've got your number. I've checked your posts.

You consistently berate folks you have bought the game for either being too stupid to not have checked how it was performing or tell them to shut up and stop complaining or whining.

And those who haven't bought it have no right to speak in your eyes.

I haven't seen one cogent, intelligent, well-reasoned, or rational post from you on this entire forum whereas most of those to whom you are responding including myself are exemplary in those areas.

You're a one-liner troll, who couldn't mount a structured, well-reasoned argument to save your life, whereas most of those whom you have tried to drag down to your level can and do reason.

There's a goat with your name on it. Have at it.

what does 'cogent' mean?

David Hayward
04-09-2011, 11:25 PM
Forget it, dude. I've got your number. I've checked your posts.

You can defeat people by what they don't say. Why did you bother to check what I have actually said?

But seriously, I LOVE that you think attacking what someone did NOT say is a well-reasoned argument.

David Hayward
04-09-2011, 11:29 PM
I haven't seen one cogent, intelligent, well-reasoned, or rational post from you on this entire forum

Did you see the Super Hornet photo I took? That was pretty cogent.

squidgyb
04-09-2011, 11:41 PM
I haven't seen one cogent, intelligent, well-reasoned, or rational post from you on this entire forum whereas most of those to whom you are responding including myself are exemplary in those areas.

No, but you haven't responded to my post, which did include several cogent, intelligent (if I do say so myself), well reasoned and rational points as to why you shouldn't be posting in this thread in the first place.

David Hayward
04-09-2011, 11:48 PM
No, but you haven't responded to my post, which did include several cogent, intelligent (if I do say so myself), well reasoned and rational points as to why you shouldn't be posting in this thread in the first place.

I'm pretty sure he crushed you by not responding to what you did not say.

snpshot
04-10-2011, 02:28 AM
It looks to me like Tanner is trying to run the game on a min spec system (If his signature is correct). So he is probably on the extreme end of bad performance. The game has problems, sure, but did anyone really expect a sim trying to push the envelope to premier without them? I surely didn't, and I certainly wouldn't try to run said game on a lower end system. Sorry Tanner, but I know well enough to wait a month or so after a new game debuts to buy it and expect the kind of play I want...and that I need a system that will run it comfortably. So in the mean time, don't rain on other people's parade just because you are unable to share in their enjoyment.

Plt Off JRB Meaker
04-10-2011, 01:12 PM
Back to the original thread....yeah the FMB is truly superb,and I know we had this with the original but now the content is so much more detailed this really rocks.

Ataros
04-16-2011, 08:34 AM
Back to the original thread....yeah the FMB is truly superb,and I know we had this with the original but now the content is so much more detailed this really rocks.

I think everyone who enjoys FMB may already start enjoying unlimited possibilities of scripting. Check this out http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=21518