PDA

View Full Version : Notes/issues on AI

41Sqn_Stormcrow
04-09-2011, 04:25 PM
I don't want to put this in the patch needed section (perhaps I should?). I however feel that a dedicated thread for AI issues and remarks is helpful for all and for the devs.

As with early versions of Il2 Mark 1 the AI doesn't know when it should take some altitude. It regularly flies into hills. This is particularly the case for unlevel terrain such as some of the online maps.

Most importantly:
AI ignorse engine limitations. I am quite sure that with complex motor management turned on this is only valid for the player plane. Other way I cannot explain why the 109E3 has so much more power than my poor little Spit 2a. It is considerably faster. Also when I turn on Autopilot I get engine damage as the AI pilot doesn't seem to operate radiator or rpm levers.

Also I am quite certain that the AI pilots don't black out. I had in a 1vs1 fight against the faster 109 black outs while my enemy stuck to my tail and turned with me ...

Alien
04-09-2011, 09:46 PM
I don't want to offend anyone, but let's say it straight: superrealistic AI never was Il-2s strong point.

KeBrAnTo
04-10-2011, 06:42 AM
As with early versions of Il2 Mark 1 the AI doesn't know when it should take some altitude. It regularly flies into hills. This is particularly the case for unlevel terrain such as some of the online maps.

Also, when you're leading a flight, if you try to land, your AI comrades will crash with the ground when you land.

Other way I cannot explain why the 109E3 has so much more power than my poor little Spit 2a. It is considerably faster.

It works exactly the same if you fly 109 pal, unbelievable rocket engine power on those spits and hurris. Dev team will have to tweak AI behaviour or correct FM.

Also I noticed enemy AI seems to forget about you in combat quite easily, you can fly around them but they don't attack you or they even fly straight and levelled in front of you as if they were not in combat. :confused:

41Sqn_Stormcrow
04-10-2011, 11:29 AM
It works exactly the same if you fly 109 pal, unbelievable rocket engine power on those spits and hurris. Dev team will have to tweak AI behaviour or correct FM.

I think it is not an FM issue as such. I think - as I wrote - that the AI is not subjected to engine limitations. It is for AI planes as if for them CEM with overheat effects is turned off. I agree that this should be corrected as the performance gain is considerable if one can ignore engine limitations. It seems that for the Spit the speed gain is about 75 mph if one turns off CEM and my guessing is that the performance gain is similar for the 109 with CEM off.

For offline mode I think I will fly without temperature stuff or even CEM on. It makes no sense.