PDA

View Full Version : Frequent post-patch crashes/reboots from game

Russkly
04-09-2011, 11:56 AM
The patch has definitely been an improvement for me (and response duly posted in relevant thread), BUT:

Now getting more crashes/reboots than pre-patch (where it happened but was fairly infrequent).

Can even happen just while taxiing or when flying over water or countryside/towns.

This is obviously very worrying.

Windows records it as an Event 41 Kernel Power error.

I had overclocked my CPU, so I reset it back to defaults - same problem.

Turned off HyperDrive via the ASUS SmartDoctor software - same problem.

Increased CPU temp. threshold to 60c in BIOS - same problem.

Noticed whilst in BIOS that CPU temp was below 50c, but IOH was 75c, so I don't think it's a temp issue(??).

PSU is rated at 720W, so I'm hoping it's not that.

Lowered graphics settings gradually after each crash/reboot, but still happened with everything low except Model Detail, Damage Decal (both high), Land Detail (medium), roads and shadows on, and grass off.

Not seen this with other games, even RoF on maximum settings.

Any ideas, because it's definitely more frequent since the patch?

BTW I have searched the forum under "reboot" and "crash", but couldn't find any similar problem (at least not without searching some of the larger threads!).

R

jdbecks
04-09-2011, 12:10 PM
I'm experiencing similar problems, except sometimes I get display driver stoped working but has been recovered,

pre patch I did not have any problems and had good FPS over land and sea with lots of aircraft, London was a slideshow.

after patch my FPS is great, and flying over london with most things on medium and models/damage/effects on high..except launcher has stopped working and the occasional message that the display driver stoped working. I had changed nothing except installing the latest patch.

Someone reinstalled MS Framework .4 and solved his issues with that, but I have not been able to play with my system since yesterday.

Russkly
04-09-2011, 12:51 PM
I'm experiencing similar problems, except sometimes I get display driver stoped working but has been recovered,

pre patch I did not have any problems and had good FPS over land and sea with lots of aircraft, London was a slideshow.

after patch my FPS is great, and flying over london with most things on medium and models/damage/effects on high..except launcher has stopped working and the occasional message that the display driver stoped working. I had changed nothing except installing the latest patch.

Someone reinstalled MS Framework .4 and solved his issues with that, but I have not been able to play with my system since yesterday.

Thx. I'll try that.

Not getting any launcher (not anymore anyway) or display driver error messages though - just crashes and then reboots itself - very dramatic.

Sometimes happens within a few minutes of starting a mission, sometimes 20 minutes in.

Can happen anywhere, not just over cities, for example.

Perplexed and slightly concerned, because that's a pretty serious thing for a PC to do!

R

sizequeen
04-09-2011, 02:16 PM
Exactly the same problem here!

Win 7 64bit. Nvidia GTX470 card.

Game plays for a while then PC reboots without any warning.

Installing msi afterburner improved things a bit - I can speed my GPU fan up and keep it cooler but the game still reboots the PC after a while.

COD hammers the GPU..99% ALL THE TIME even after the patch.

I do hope they solve this. Makes the game unplayable for now.

Russkly
04-09-2011, 02:49 PM
Exactly the same problem here!

Win 7 64bit. Nvidia GTX470 card.

Game plays for a while then PC reboots without any warning.

Installing msi afterburner improved things a bit - I can speed my GPU fan up and keep it cooler but the game still reboots the PC after a while.

COD hammers the GPU..99% ALL THE TIME even after the patch.

I do hope they solve this. Makes the game unplayable for now.

Interesting info, sizequeen.

So, in your case, it's the GPU getting fried? How do you tell?

Mine's an ASUS card which comes with its own management software (ASUS SmartDoctor), and and at the moment all the cooling is on "Auto".

I might try fiddling around with those settings tomorrow.

I don't think it's the CPU, because when I go into BIOS after the crash/reboot, the CPU temp. is <50c with IOH @ 75c.

Let me know, if you get round it.

R

sizequeen
04-09-2011, 03:04 PM
Hi Russkly

I'm not sure what is causing the Event 41 Kernel Power error message.

I'm guessing it may be related to the GPU (graphics card processor) getting hot and tripping the power to the PSU. I'm pretty noobish with these things however.

My main CPU temps are fine.

I installed a (free) program called msi afterburner http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

This monitors your graphics card and allows you to overclock/change fan speeds etc. I mapped the fan graph in it to speed up to a higher RPM than it was before. This has stopped COD crashing/rebooting for around 10-15 mins. Before it was rebooting in game every 5 mins or so. The program also shows you how hard your GPU is working in game.

Russkly
04-09-2011, 03:52 PM
Hi Russkly

I'm not sure what is causing the Event 41 Kernel Power error message.

I'm guessing it may be related to the GPU (graphics card processor) getting hot and tripping the power to the PSU. I'm pretty noobish with these things however.

My main CPU temps are fine.

I installed a (free) program called msi afterburner http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

This monitors your graphics card and allows you to overclock/change fan speeds etc. I mapped the fan graph in it to speed up to a higher RPM than it was before. This has stopped COD crashing/rebooting for around 10-15 mins. Before it was rebooting in game every 5 mins or so. The program also shows you how hard your GPU is working in game.

Thx.

I'll try altering the settings in the ASUS software, so that it focuses on cooling rather than on max. performance.

No other game, included maxed-out ARMA2 cause this GPU problems like this though.

Ho hum.

R

sizequeen
04-09-2011, 04:14 PM
Do let us know how you get on.

I'm still fiddling with settings as well!

Neither have I ever had these problems before. This system is only 6 months old!

Wynthorpe
04-09-2011, 04:39 PM
I to am having "launcher.exe" has stopped working after the patch -

i7950 @4.2Ghz
6GB MXS3
GTX460 768mb
Win7 x64

Russkly
04-09-2011, 04:45 PM
I to am having "launcher.exe" has stopped working after the patch -

i7950 @4.2Ghz
6GB MXS3
GTX460 768mb
Win7 x64

A bunch of people (including me) had this problem pre-patch.

There are some fixes in this thread:

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=19874

My issue got fixed, but I know not how!

Now I have a new problem after the patch...

R

jdbecks
04-09-2011, 10:04 PM
I think I have fixed it, no crashes yet...fingers crossed.
I reinstalled Direct X and used AVG Tune up, it found over 5000 reg errors on my system, not sure which solved the problem..but its something else to try for anyone experiencing similar problems.

Russkly
04-10-2011, 09:54 AM
Thx.

I'll try altering the settings in the ASUS software, so that it focuses on cooling rather than on max. performance.

No other game, included maxed-out ARMA2 cause this GPU problems like this though.

Ho hum.

R

OK, I've uninstalled the ASUS SmartDoctor software that runs the GPU and installed MSI Afterburner.

What did you do to your settings exactly to reduce the crashes? You've got a better/newer card, but perhaps I can use your experience with Afterburner as a guide.

BTW I've also installed the latest GeForce Beta drivers (see sig.), so I'll let you know whether they've made any difference. I think they're mostly aimed at the 400 & 500 series though, so you may see more benefit than I.

Cheers for the help,

R

sizequeen
04-10-2011, 03:12 PM
If you go into Afterburner you can see the Fan Speed (%) slider just below the Memory Clock slider. Make sure it is on AUTO (click Auto button it should show a green light).

Then click Settings > Fan > TICK "Enable user defined software automatic fan control".

Change the graph to make your GPU fan run at 100% from around 60 c

I have mine on a gradual climb from 50% to 100% fan speed between 40 and 60 c

I also changed another setting which may help if the PSU is unstable at high temps. Go back one window to the General tab and under Safety Properties tick "Force constant voltage".

These haven't totally stopped the reboots but I can now play for at least 15-20mins without any problems. Last night I played for around 30mins and didn't have any reboots.

Hope this helps

Adam

Russkly
04-10-2011, 03:26 PM
If you go into Afterburner you can see the Fan Speed (%) slider just below the Memory Clock slider. Make sure it is on AUTO (click Auto button it should show a green light).

Then click Settings > Fan > TICK "Enable user defined software automatic fan control".

Change the graph to make your GPU fan run at 100% from around 60 c

I have mine on a gradual climb from 50% to 100% fan speed between 40 and 60 c

I also changed another setting which may help if the PSU is unstable at high temps. Go back one window to the General tab and under Safety Properties tick "Force constant voltage".

These haven't totally stopped the reboots but I can now play for at least 15-20mins without any problems. Last night I played for around 30mins and didn't have any reboots.

Hope this helps

Adam

Cheers, Adam.

Will play around tomorrow AM and post results.

You on 270 drivers?

Sean

sizequeen
04-10-2011, 03:51 PM
Cheers, Adam.

You on 270 drivers?

Sean

266.58 at the moment. They give me v good frame-rates in COD, FSX and Call of Duty4.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, Foxconn Flaming Blade GTI, Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.07 (8 CPUs), 6MB RAM, DirectX 11, Nvidia GTX-470, M-Audio Audiophile 2496, CH Yoke, CH Rudder Pedals, Saitek FF Force, Saitek Yoke

Adam

LeadFarmer
04-11-2011, 03:05 AM
you guys need to increase the voltage on IOH to 1.2 or even 1.3 if running multiple PCIE cards ;)

nullack
04-11-2011, 03:37 AM
No you dont need to that I have 7 full pciex lanes in my EVGA2 and dont need to raise the IOH for standard clocks at all

Russkly
04-11-2011, 10:53 AM
Cheers, Adam.

You on 270 drivers?

Sean

OK, it is definitely a GPU temperature issue.

Using MSI Afterburner (and RivaTuner to view the Afterburner log file), the GPU Usage hits 100% and stays there as does the GPU fan (with the fan mapped via Afterburner to cut in at 40c and straight-line increase to 100% at 60c.

Actual GPU temp. reaches 75c.

Everything on the GPU is at 100%!!!!!

A screenshot of the log file output is attached.

This is during the Hurricane vs He-111 channel intercept quick mission.

Multiple crashes/reboots - cannot play mission through.

If I do a simple x-country flight in a Hurri or even the Spit vs. Ju-88 custom mission, I can play without crashing.

Settings:

1920x1200 (desktop resolution)
MD = H
BD = L
LD = L
F = L
VE = H
DD = H
BA = L
LS = M
G = Off
S = On
R = On

I'm going to try reducing resolution and then settings to see if that helps.

Thereafter I might try the now-famous kegetys mods, although I'd prefer to wait for the developers to do this sort of thing officially!!!!

This puppy really does push the GPU to the max.

R

Russkly
04-11-2011, 11:36 AM
OK, it is definitely a GPU temperature issue.

Using MSI Afterburner (and RivaTuner to view the Afterburner log file), the GPU Usage hits 100% and stays there as does the GPU fan (with the fan mapped via Afterburner to cut in at 40c and straight-line increase to 100% at 60c.

Actual GPU temp. reaches 75c.

Everything on the GPU is at 100%!!!!!

A screenshot of the log file output is attached.

This is during the Hurricane vs He-111 channel intercept quick mission.

Multiple crashes/reboots - cannot play mission through.

If I do a simple x-country flight in a Hurri or even the Spit vs. Ju-88 custom mission, I can play without crashing.

Settings:

1920x1200 (desktop resolution)
MD = H
BD = L
LD = L
F = L
VE = H
DD = H
BA = L
LS = M
G = Off
S = On
R = On

I'm going to try reducing resolution and then settings to see if that helps.

Thereafter I might try the now-famous kegetys mods, although I'd prefer to wait for the developers to do this sort of thing officially!!!!

This puppy really does push the GPU to the max.

R

Tried 1680x1050 and it seemed to play for longer before crashing/rebooting.

Tried 1680x1050 with BD = VL and LS = L and it played through without crashing.

Interestingly, fan was at 100% and GPU temp reached 86c!!!!!

R

PS Great game when it behaves itself though, lol.

E69_vencejo
04-11-2011, 11:53 AM
hi,
i have same problem. After patch blue screen (before patch launcher problem finally solved).
I test temperatures but i don´t see any problem:
First run gpuz for temperatures log.
Blue screen is with 90/91º celsius in my ring.
Then i stress graphic card with occt and with afterburner i up/down ventilators for check what happend with high temperature.
At 97º celcius, all clocks diminish its value automatically until reach 87º. Then clocks go up to 100% again.
No blue screen, no reboot.

I have the feeling that many have appeared blue screen right after i press a button or axis, or both, but this is very subjective :rolleyes:.

i5 750, 4G ram, p55-ud5, xfi, asus 570, 1000w power, tir and x52.

MD_Titus
04-11-2011, 05:13 PM
this is something i'm getting as well. can go for a couple sorties, or less than one pass, and it then it goes to a bluescreen shut down. damn thing goes off too quickly to see the rror message, any tips on where to find the crash log?

was doing it before patch as well, so don't think it's related to that, nor does it appear to be related to settings as it does it whatever they are (running models high, VE and decals medium, everything else low or off, res is 1280x1024, specs as below)

Russkly
04-11-2011, 06:24 PM
this is something i'm getting as well. can go for a couple sorties, or less than one pass, and it then it goes to a bluescreen shut down. damn thing goes off too quickly to see the rror message, any tips on where to find the crash log?

was doing it before patch as well, so don't think it's related to that, nor does it appear to be related to settings as it does it whatever they are (running models high, VE and decals medium, everything else low or off, res is 1280x1024, specs as below)

I don't even get bluescreen - straight to reboot.

Mine was doing it before patch too, but not nearly as frequently.

I'm convinced it's a GPU temperature problem, but something is working the GPU really, really hard, and more so since the patch.

Anyway for the Windows Event Viewer, you just need to press F1 whilst in your Desktop and search for Event Viewer (for Windows 7, and apologies if you knew this already and were looking for something else lol).

There's probably an easier way, but I don't use it very often.

Post the results here and somebody will be able to diagnose the problem, I trust.

Good luck.

R

MD_Titus
04-11-2011, 06:52 PM
cheers for that, didn't have a clue what it was or where to find it

system error log is

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x10000050 (0x8ad3f002, 0x00000000, 0xafa114f6, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini041111-01.dmp.

not sure what i can open the dmp file with though...

the erro that follows directly after this is

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
nvatabus

Russkly
04-11-2011, 07:26 PM
cheers for that, didn't have a clue what it was or where to find it

system error log is

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x10000050 (0x8ad3f002, 0x00000000, 0xafa114f6, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini041111-01.dmp.

not sure what i can open the dmp file with though...

the erro that follows directly after this is

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
nvatabus

Hhhhmmm...found this:

http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=74324.0

But I think we're in the realms of needing smarter advice than what I can provide here!

R

sizequeen
04-11-2011, 07:42 PM
Sounds like you're getting somewhere Russkly. Am having same issues so I guess we're going to have to reduce the visuals to a level where we can play for some time without the GPU overheating until they bring out a patch to (hopefully...) fix it.

It's a real pity though because dog-fighting with all the fx/damage levels at max looks very realistic grrr!

I don't think the flight dynamics are that realistic but I'm used to FSX and X Plane..

Adam

E69_vencejo
04-11-2011, 11:37 PM
hi,
i have same problem. After patch blue screen (before patch launcher problem finally solved).
I test temperatures but i don´t see any problem:
First run gpuz for temperatures log.
Blue screen is with 90/91º celsius in my ring.
Then i stress graphic card with occt and with afterburner i up/down ventilators for check what happend with high temperature.
At 97º celcius, all clocks diminish its value automatically until reach 87º. Then clocks go up to 100% again.
No blue screen, no reboot.

I have the feeling that many have appeared blue screen right after i press a button or axis, or both, but this is very subjective :rolleyes:.

i5 750, 4G ram, p55-ud5, xfi, asus 570, 1000w power, tir and x52.

You might be right Russkly.
I repeat test again and no blue screens have been flying about 1 hour (until now never flew so long without errors).
I checked the maximum temperature and were 80 ° Celsius.

Russkly
04-12-2011, 06:08 PM
Right, after some more testing (delayed when a Firefox-inspired System Restore screwed up Steam so that I couldn't get into CoD!) it is clear that CoD is baking my GPU.

First off: GPU controlled by ASUS SmartDoctor software. HyperDrive on but set to Cooling mode, not to 3D Games mode. Fan on Auto. So, GPU will be driven to run cool rather than run performance.

I turned the res down to 1600x1200 and flew the 6 Hurris vs 6 109s over water quick mission without problems (at game settings posted earlier in this thread).

Hoorah!

Then got cocky and tried the Hurris vs Ju-87s over Manston quick mission at 1680x1050.

No problems over water, but as soon as I came over land to head home - bang!!!! PC reboots itself.

SmartDoctor doesn't have a log facility like MSI Afterburner, but, having used the latter, I am sure that the GPU was maxed out at that point and simply rebooted the PC to avoid heat damage.

I'm not sure what to do now - I'm loathe to turn the settings down further, because they're hardly maxed out, and my system's not that bad (is it?). And I don't really want to install some water-cooling system for 1 game - RoF never gives me this problem on pretty high settings for example, and nor does Arma 2.

Any thoughts? Will any of the upcoming patches address this; or is it something I'm doing wrong; or is my GPU simply too wimpy?

Shame, because @ 1900x1200 at the game settings above, it looks wonderful.

R

E69_vencejo
04-12-2011, 08:37 PM
Russkly
It is very difficult for me understand inglish. When you say:
"(delayed when a Firefox-inspired System Restore screwed up Steam so that I couldn't get into CoD!)"
You meant that you make sistem restore?
If this is correct, then please, make a graphic card log (gpu-z is good) and check clocks too.
Before the blue screen problem solution, i did a restore sistem.
I'm not very sure even the problem is the temperature, then i repeated again the test, and the surprise was that when prior to the restore, the graphics card was everything 100%, then now it does not exceed 60% (before flying with all the options middle, 100% graphic card working, and after, witch all options to full without loss of fps's or stutters increased after 1 minute).
I think there is something that escapes us. Visor events have launcher and net 4.0 errors even. The difference is that now i don´t have reboots or blue screens :confused:
Thanks Russkly

Russkly
04-13-2011, 10:35 AM
Russkly
It is very difficult for me understand inglish. When you say:
"(delayed when a Firefox-inspired System Restore screwed up Steam so that I couldn't get into CoD!)"
You meant that you make sistem restore?
If this is correct, then please, make a graphic card log (gpu-z is good) and check clocks too.
Before the blue screen problem solution, i did a restore sistem.
I'm not very sure even the problem is the temperature, then i repeated again the test, and the surprise was that when prior to the restore, the graphics card was everything 100%, then now it does not exceed 60% (before flying with all the options middle, 100% graphic card working, and after, witch all options to full without loss of fps's or stutters increased after 1 minute).
I think there is something that escapes us. Visor events have launcher and net 4.0 errors even. The difference is that now i don´t have reboots or blue screens :confused:
Thanks Russkly

Sorry for the lack of clarity, Vencejo.

What happened was that I had an Adobe Flash plug-in problem with Firefox 3.6 so installed Firefox 4. After that Firefox crashed every time I tried to open it. So eventually I did a system restore, after which Steam would not work - kept saying that it was connecting to my account and then nothing would happen. I then spent all day uninstalling and reinstalling Steam until it worked.

In short, the crashes have nothing to do with the system restore - they were happening before that.

So, where are we now?

I'm now settled at 1680x1050 with settings as above except for buildings now very low and shading low.

I played the bomber intercept over London QM with no problems, and even turned shading up to medium, because it looks better than at low.

Then tried the dogfight QM with Ju-88s, 109s, Spits & Hurris (over water) - crash/reboot just a couple of minutes in.

Using GPU-Z (thx for the tip) the temps are up at 75c max (which shouldn't be a huge problem) with the fan running at max. Strangely, according to GPU-Z the GPU loading doesn't appear to be maxed out (although difficult to tell from the *.txt file) but runs at about 30%. Core clock, memory clock and shader clock are all maxed out, however, so I don't understand why GPU load would only be 30%.

So, I'm perplexed.

I can't really play the game, though, because it's clearly not good for the PC to be rebooting itself - this indicates major trauma, no?

Also, it means restarting everything (TrackIR, plug in joystick, disable anti-virus, open Steam, run game, select mission, wait for loading, etc.).

Anybody please help me understand what is going wrong?

Am I just being too ambitious with the settings?

R

E69_vencejo
04-13-2011, 11:26 AM
Thanks Russkly.

I do not know why the problems have now disappeared after doing a system restore. I cross my fingers.
If it's any help, the only difference between before and after the restore is that now, in uninstall / change program windows, I have only this:

Microsoft visual c + + redistributable 10.0.30319 2010x86

When before had two visual c + + 2010 for to uninstall / change. Sorry I did not remember what exactly.

Ah, i forget it. I use a new controls perfil too.

MD_Titus
04-13-2011, 12:21 PM
I seem to be getting the reboots mostly when hitting a bomber from dead 6 and zoomed into the 30 degree fov...

Russkly
04-13-2011, 06:26 PM
I tried the same "Aerial Battle" QM (where it's Spits & Hurris vs 109s & Ju-88s over the channel) with MD = M, VE = M and DD = M.

Played right through until landing (on "Easy" settings just for this test).

Once the actual dogfighting section was over, I switched those 3 elements back to High without problems (not really surprising, I suppose, given that there was no longer any damage to model, for example).

Therefore, I'm going to do the following:

Wait for the next patch (to see if any optimisation places less stress on my GPU, which seems to be what is causing the reboots).
Apply the kegetys mods, if something similar hasn't been included in the next patch (haven't seen any official response to these mods).
Upgrade the GPU to a GTX570! Yup, €300 just to play this game, pretty much.

Questions:

GTX570 or Radeon 6950/70? Will only really be used for CoD, RoF & ARMA 2.
When starting the QMs, how do you select the plane you want to fly? In the mission above there are Hurris & Spits, and I wanted to fly the Hurri, so I clicked on that icon and the briefing changed accordingly (i.e. target bombers), but then I end up flying a Spit.

Oh, so many questions!

R

E69_vencejo
04-13-2011, 08:18 PM
You must click on the little pilot over aircraft´s window. Highlight pilot is the aircraft that you will fly.

Thee_oddball
04-14-2011, 04:35 AM
here is something to think about, when loading a mission into the dedicated dogfight server under WIN7 64 it get no problems or errors...but try the same mission under XP SP3 it wont even load....

S!

Russkly
04-14-2011, 11:35 AM
You must click on the little pilot over aircraft´s window. Highlight pilot is the aircraft that you will fly.

Thx, that worked.

I suppose I should have read the manual more attentively!

How is the rebooting problem?

Played the "Aerial Battle" QM this morning (in a Hurri now that I understand how to do it!), and went right through to landing without a problem.

Now to try increasing the settings a little to see where the problem occurs...

R

PS Once the rebooting problem is solved, I might even start looking at FPS like everyone else seems to be doing. Secondary problem at the moment.

sizequeen
04-14-2011, 08:16 PM
Russkly,

Good to hear you managing to play the game on lower settings. I haven't played for a few days and waiting for Patch #2 to see if it improves matters. I don't like the PC rebooting in that manner:confused:

What do you have your Visual Effects and Damage decals set to?

Adam

Russkly
04-15-2011, 07:22 AM
Russkly,

Good to hear you managing to play the game on lower settings. I haven't played for a few days and waiting for Patch #2 to see if it improves matters. I don't like the PC rebooting in that manner:confused:

What do you have your Visual Effects and Damage decals set to?

Adam

No, I don't like it either - just says, "Aaaaggghhhhh, massive computer trauma" to me!

I now have VE and DD set to medium; shading to low; also turned roads off (which I don't like, because it detracts quite a bit from the lanscape IMO).

I tried setting the res to 1680x1050@60 instead of 59 (because my monitor's native refresh rate is 60, but CoD seemed to default to 59), but that seemed to incur more frequent reboots, so I've turned it back to 59.

Don't understand that at all.

Regarding the patch, I'm not sure how it will help people in our position, because I'm not sure anyone understands what the problem is - after all there are many out there with systems (and particularly GPUs like ours), who aren't experiencing these terrible reboots, and yet there aren't that many respondants to this thread.

Fingers crossed though.

I still feel I'm going to have to throw €300+ at a new GPU, although I don't know which one to go for.

Good luck your side after the patch - I'll let you know how it affects my system/gaming, if you want.

Sean

Russkly
04-15-2011, 09:58 AM
Aaaaaarrrrrggghhhhh!!!!!!

Soooooooooooo frustrating!!!!!!!!!

ASUS SmartDoctor software set to HyperDrive Cooling mode with fan set to go to max. whenever the GPU gets to 60c.

So, the GPU is all set up to keep cool.

Increased VE to high and DD to high.
MD is high.
Everything else low or very low.
Shading medium.
Roads off.

Tried the Aerial Battle QM again last night, and the the system rebooted with MSI Afterburner producing the log attached. Everything is absolutely maxed out, although the temp. is actually OK.

Tried again this morning, but this time just the First Solo Training mission (which is in a Hurri, not a Tiger Moth as per the picture in the briefing; and there are no instructions or guidance as to how to take off, but that's another story!).

Just about to rotate, and BANG! Reboot-a-rama!

Please can somebody help me?!!

It seems so random, and I can't put my finger on what is causing these reboots. Why is it rebooting anyway? Why isn't the system warning me about something before just shutting itself down?

Every time I play now, I'm on tenterhooks waiting for the inevitable BANG, black screen...

R :(

sizequeen
04-16-2011, 12:23 AM
Regarding the patch, I'm not sure how it will help people in our position, because I'm not sure anyone understands what the problem is - after all there are many out there with systems (and particularly GPUs like ours), who aren't experiencing these terrible reboots, and yet there aren't that many respondants to this thread.

Sean

Hi Sean

Sorry to see more frustrated posts-I've avoided COD since last weekend. Played Call Of Duty 4 and FSX Flight Sim instead (and they never reboot the PC!).

As far as I can gather the current version of COD does not support multiple CPUs. At the moment it just hammers the one and doesn't spread the load.

A future patch should address that according to the techie posts. Am hoping it will ease things for the GPU in my GTX470 but I'm not technical enough to know if it will for certain:oops:

Gonna hop in my RealAir Spitfire now and do some circuits at Duxford (in FSX!).

Will play COD over the weekend and do some tweaking.

Cheers

Adam

Russkly
04-16-2011, 11:02 AM
@ Adam.

Let me know how you get on with the new patch.

For me it certainly seems smoother and faster, but I'm not bothering about measuring FPS yet until I can play without reboot fear.

I have set all video settings to Medium without playing with the Advanced Settings to see if this would help.

So far, so good!

Played the Hawkinge Bomber Attack QM without issues, and then did the First Solo Training Mission (in the Hurri, even though the Tiger Moth is pictured!), which has always been a problem in terms of reboots (in fact I've never actually managed to leave the ground, lol).

Went OK, and I took off!

So, now to do some more testing - perhaps the Attack on London QM...

Fingers crossed.

Sean

LcSummers
04-16-2011, 11:26 AM
Game is running fast with the new patch but i too realized more ctds.

Russkly
04-16-2011, 11:44 AM
Game is running fast with the new patch but i too realized more ctds.

CTDs or actual reboots?

If the former, check Windows Event Viewer to see what caused the CTD. It'll probably be the Launcher.exe file, and there are a few threads on this topic already, including people with more incidences after the latest patch.

Good luck!

R

LcSummers
04-16-2011, 11:50 AM
CTDs or actual reboots?

If the former, check Windows Event Viewer to see what caused the CTD. It'll probably be the Launcher.exe file, and there are a few threads on this topic already, including people with more incidences after the latest patch.

Good luck!

R

Russkly, i have CTDs (Launcher.exe) I had some with the older patch, yesterday i tried the free flight mission over London. This caused a Launcher.exe

Russkly
04-16-2011, 12:41 PM
Russkly, i have CTDs (Launcher.exe) I had some with the older patch, yesterday i tried the free flight mission over London. This caused a Launcher.exe

Bugger!

Have you tried all the fixes that came up when the game first went live? Lots of people had Launcher.exe problems (me included), and these fixes seemed to help a lot of people.

I've just had a reboot playing the 6 Hurris vs 6 109s over the Channel QM.

So it's not the landscape or buildings.

Apart from everything on Medium, I got cocky and turned on Shadows ('cos it's a great effect), but I think I might have to try turning this off again.

Still have no idea what is causing this problem, and no-one on this forum has been able to shed any light.

Oh well, new PSU & GPU for me...

R

322Sqn_Dusty
04-16-2011, 12:54 PM
Just had one ctd (launcher) today, after a couple of hours flying and buggering on the bad behavour of the controls (stick, mouse and keyboard input). Overall it seems to run a lot smoother in high/very high settings. My problem would be the xfire configuration at the moment that holds back the high smoothness.

Intel Q9550 @ 3.4
4GB Ram
2x Rad HD4890OC 1GB xfire
Saitek X52 pro
Saitek lever quadrant
Saitek Rudders
Win7 Ultimate 64bit

whiplash2002b
04-16-2011, 04:29 PM
I am running a GeForce 570 and an Intel quad core running at 2.83.

The thing that worries me is that the GPU is constantly running at 100%.

This engine is definitely not optimized very well, as the GPU runs at 100% over water while flying one plane with no others around.

I have not tried the most recent Beta patch, from April 15th, however.

Retaliator
04-16-2011, 05:18 PM
Got random reboots too. does not seem to be related to the gpu temperature as last time i went up to 69 ° but crushed at 63°. Could be the case that we're are all NVIDIA users? Me 580GTX latest beta drivers 2.70. will try to revert back to 2.66 drivers.

Russkly
04-16-2011, 07:06 PM
Got random reboots too. does not seem to be related to the gpu temperature as last time i went up to 69 ° but crushed at 63°. Could be the case that we're are all NVIDIA users? Me 580GTX latest beta drivers 2.70. will try to revert back to 2.66 drivers.

Could be NVidia cards (or their ForceWare drivers), but then I'd expect many more people to be posting on this thread, since random rebooting's a pretty severe problem.

Maybe it's a PSU issue, because something fairly serious must be happening for the PC to decide it absolutely has to shut down to protect itself.

The "Kernel Power Error 41" I'm getting points to this as well, I think.

What PSUs do we all have?

Mine's not a front-line make but is 720W, so should be (and always has been thus far) robust enough to cope with the demands of my system and the games it runs at high settings (Rise of Flight, Arma 2, Combat Mission Shock Force, etc.).

Interestingly the PSU is rated to 40A @ 5V but only 15A or 17A @12V (depending on DC1 or DC2), whereas the spec. for my GPU (and indeed for the GTX580) states that the PSU should generate 40A on the 12V rail.

I know nothing about electrics, but could that be a possible issue?

R

whiplash2002b
04-16-2011, 08:08 PM

Are you using the April 15th beta patch?

Retaliator
04-17-2011, 08:45 AM
@Russkly: I've got 630 W PSU... I think it could be the PSU. I'm now running a test with the windows certified drivers for my NVIDIA and let you know. Do you know about any software that can measure V and A for my ASUS P6T?

@whiplash: No, still on 1.00.13 patch. Will try the new one as soon as it's final

Russkly
04-17-2011, 09:52 AM
@Russkly: I've got 630 W PSU... I think it could be the PSU. I'm now running a test with the windows certified drivers for my NVIDIA and let you know. Do you know about any software that can measure V and A for my ASUS P6T?

@whiplash: No, still on 1.00.13 patch. Will try the new one as soon as it's final

No, I don't, but it would be useful, if someone else knows of some software to do this.

I wonder if everyone else's GPUs are running at 100%. If they are, then it would imply problems with the game programming, would it not, and then exacerbated by PSUs not up the task, hence the reboots for some of us?

R

Retaliator
04-17-2011, 09:56 AM
Done some testing.. after 10-15 min of gameplay... reboot over and over again... Issue not related to nvidia drivers I'm afraid.... GPUs stay at 100% for me also.

Asus P6T
I7 920 no o/c
GTX580 no o/c
12 gb Ram
630 W PSU

swiss
04-17-2011, 10:19 AM
Any windows error records?

jetski
04-17-2011, 11:12 AM

Hi,

I have also found an issue with the PC suddenly shutting off*. I have come to the conclusion that this is due to the graphics card over-stressing the PSU. The indicator is that the switch off is instantaneous and nothing is logged as abnormal. This is because the system is shut down before the OS can log what is going on. The next entry int the event log was the system starting again.
What is happening? - the PSU has an "overcurrent shutdown" feature which acts like a fuse and shuts off all power rails if one of the rails starts drawing too much power.
Cause - I upgraded my graphics card without paying enough attention to the rating of my PSU.
How to check? - run a GPU benchmark that stresses the GPU, this should also provoke the shutdown.
This is not a "crash" or driver incompatibility as it has occurred with several driver versions.

CPU intel core2 duo @2.83GHz
Memory 3.25 Gb
GPU: MSI N460GTX
PSU max 19A on 12v rail

*depending on BIOS confic,such a shut-down may cause automatic restarting.

Russkly
04-17-2011, 11:21 AM

Hi Swiss,

Yes, as posted at the start of this lengthening thread, I was/am getting a "Kernel Power Error 41".

I looked it up:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

...and, if you look under the "Resolution" section, it does indicate a PSU problem.

It probably matters less with games/software that don't max out a major power-hog component like the GPU, but CoD clearly does push the GPU very hard indeed, so perhaps it is the combination of maxed-out GPUs and slightly weak PSUs that's causing us the problems?

R

Retaliator
04-17-2011, 11:21 AM

Only one is:
Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 17/04/2011 13:17:07
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: Ludo
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>2</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-04-17T11:17:07.327634800Z" />
<EventRecordID>6348</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>Ludo</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

What Jetski is saying seems logic... will upgrade the PSU to 800W and let u know. Checked mine... 12V 22A MAX :(
Thank you

Russkly
04-17-2011, 11:53 AM
Hi,

I have also found an issue with the PC suddenly shutting off*. I have come to the conclusion that this is due to the graphics card over-stressing the PSU. The indicator is that the switch off is instantaneous and nothing is logged as abnormal. This is because the system is shut down before the OS can log what is going on. The next entry int the event log was the system starting again.
What is happening? - the PSU has an "overcurrent shutdown" feature which acts like a fuse and shuts off all power rails if one of the rails starts drawing too much power.
Cause - I upgraded my graphics card without paying enough attention to the rating of my PSU.
How to check? - run a GPU benchmark that stresses the GPU, this should also provoke the shutdown.
This is not a "crash" or driver incompatibility as it has occurred with several driver versions.

CPU intel core2 duo @2.83GHz
Memory 3.25 Gb
GPU: MSI N460GTX
PSU max 19A on 12v rail

*depending on BIOS confic,such a shut-down may cause automatic restarting.

Thx, Jetski.

Makes absolute sense and fits my suspicions.

I recently changed the PSU fan and did wonder about the amperage rating compared to the GPU spec., but left it, because it hadn't caused any problems before (largely on Rise of Flight and Arma 2 @ high settings).

Only CoD has stressed the system enough to expose the weakling PSU.

OK, time to fork out some more cash on a new PSU to be followed shortly by a new GPU.

Ho hum.

R

Russkly
04-17-2011, 12:10 PM
Interestingly I can't find any PSU at the local on-line shop I use here in Spain that has PSUs with 40A on the 12V rail - max. seems to be 25A.

Anyone know any manufacturers that make PSUs to handle this kind of loading?

R

swiss
04-17-2011, 12:14 PM
Please get a decent one(~$120+), not some cheap crap.

Russkly
04-17-2011, 12:22 PM
Please get a decent one(~$120+), not some cheap crap.

Well, the ones I was looking at were mostly Antec 850s and 1000s and were about €150-250!!!

They still only had 25A max. @ 12V.

R

Russkly
04-17-2011, 01:45 PM
Well, the ones I was looking at were mostly Antec 850s and 1000s and were about €150-250!!!

R

OK, now I understand:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r22085001-PSU-Terminology-question-40A-on-12V-Rail

So, my Atrix 600T @ 720W, which seems to be cheap, old and fairly crap gives this:

+3.3V +5V +12V +12V -12V +5VSB
35A 40A 15A 17A 0.5A 2.5A

(Sorry about the formatting)

...which is 32A on the 12V rail - not enough according to the GPU spec, which wants 40A.

Especially with the CPU o/c'd from 2.67 to 3.25, plus 2xSSD and 2x1Tb HDD in RAID, plus a CoolerMaster heatsink for the o/c'd CPU.

Still surprised that I've not experienced this problem with other games though.

Hope this sheds some light - check your 12V rail, boys!

R

swiss
04-17-2011, 10:49 PM

R

Superflower, Corsair, Enermax, ("Be quiet", hard to get in the US)

baffa
04-18-2011, 04:04 PM
I had to rearrange some fans and increase the rpm in my case to get rid of the excessive heat. My mainboard was at 70C, never seen that before :o
The only thing that had ok temps was my GPU even if it was pegged at 100% most of the time.

Everything is better now though, at least within teh limits.

I can recommend Corsair TX 650W PSU, 52A on +12V, more than enough for any single GPU setup.

Russkly
04-18-2011, 04:17 PM
I had to rearrange some fans and increase the rpm in my case to get rid of the excessive heat. My mainboard was at 70C, never seen that before :o
The only thing that had ok temps was my GPU even if it was pegged at 100% most of the time.

Everything is better now though, at least within teh limits.

I can recommend Corsair TX 650W PSU, 52A on +12V, more than enough for any single GPU setup.

So increased cooling helped the reboots?

So perhaps it's not the GPU overloading the PSU but the fans or the CPU heatsink I put in recently when o/c'ing the chip?

Either way, it seems the PSU cannot cope.

I'm looking at PSUs now, but I live in Spain and tend to use one shop for components, and they have Antec's (usually 4 x 12V rails @ about 20-25A each, which should do the trick, shouldn't it?).

Would prefer single rail like you have, but it's an availability issue.

Thanks again for the advice, baffa.

R

SQB
04-22-2011, 12:31 AM
Gah, I'm really frustrated!
Before patch: 25fps (reasonable) over london, barely any stutters.
After patch: Well, the game doesn't start, just has the steam "opening game" box and then "launcher has stopped working."

I don't know what to do, all files validated successfully, I re-installed, and It didn't install anything in my documents, which I thought was odd so I checked all files again, again it said all files were fine.

How can all files be fine if the game doesn't run...? :(

If anyone has any tips or suggestions it would be MUCH appreciated.

Gromic
04-22-2011, 07:21 AM
Hi Chaps,

I'm also having stability issues since the last patch. Actually two issues.

Aftter a certain time, the game minimizes to desktop and will not resume fullscreen when clicking on the taskbar button unless I push ESC, at which point, it goes back to fullscreen in the game menu. If I then push fly or attempt to start a new mission, the game will again minimize to desktop. I can only quit the game and restart it again. This will give me another hour of airtime after which - rinse and repeat.

OR

After having flown a number of missions, the game will cause a complete reboot of the PC. There is no warning, or any kind of texture tearing, flickering, stuttering etc. that will indicate a reboot about to occur. One minute your flying and the next minute the screen goes black into POST. It also doesn't matter if I'm engaged in combat or picking a virtual nose in cockpit.

I can't point the finger to any overheating issues with my GPU. On a second screen, I have afterburner showing the running GPU stats. Temps never go over 56° on full load and that's with playing over an hour. The used graphics memory does tend to stay at around 95-100% for the duration of flight.

One thing that did catch my eye, was the memory managment of "launcher.exe". While running sysinternals process explorer tool simultaneously with the game, I noticed that "launcher.exe" will never flush used memory after quitting a mission. It just keeps adding another ~400MB per flown mission until it gets to around 2,5GB total allocated RAM. That's when the game either minimizes to desktop or causes a complete reboot.

32bit memory leak issues?

Cheers

Ataros
04-22-2011, 09:06 AM
In case you did not try it:
Go to game properties in Steam and run an integrity check for game files. Some files are usually corrupted after patching.

Also clear shaders cache in documents folder.

Defragment game files after every patch.

Turn off mods off-cause first. They are not needed after the recent patch.

Retaliator
04-22-2011, 09:40 AM
Got a new PSU (Corsair HX1000W) and the reboots are gone... I'm happy now !! :)

henry.hogg
03-04-2012, 04:40 PM
I've played CoD for three weeks,when I started to have launcher problems. Before that it ran surprisingly well on my rather old computer [AMD Phenom X3, 4gyg DDR2 memory, and a ASUS EAH6850 DirectCU VGA card]. When i got those launcher problems, I could play the game for about 5 upto 10 minutes.I used the ASUS Smartdoctor[v5.66] to overclock. Now I'removed ASUS Smartdoctor, overclocked the VGA card via AMD vision engine control, and Launcher has worked ever since.