PDA

View Full Version : Im a rookie, need help!!!

mcler002
04-09-2011, 10:19 AM
Hey all

I would welcome any and all tips to flying - especially about dogfights! My one main fail atm! As every time i seem to be the only muppet? who fly’s across the channel - a good 20 - 30 min trip as we all know to get the adv on an enemy fighter to either stall or/ and get shot down!!!

So please! Help a rookie :D

Pleaseeeeeeeee!

Cheers

Ross

MadTommy
04-09-2011, 10:25 AM
I'm also a rookie...

But a few things i've learnt.

Keep your energy up, either height or speed.
Don't become fixated on your target, its often not good to follow them into a dive. Often better to keep your height and eye on them and strike from above.
Only fire when you know you will hit your target.
Don't be afraid to break away from dogfight if you are being draw into fight where you don't have the advantage.
Pick off bombers on the edge of formations..and don't hang around to get shot by their tail gunners!

Hope this helps.. but i have a lot to learn myself!

mcler002
04-09-2011, 10:31 AM
Thanks

I would also like to invite anyone to add me on either steam or xfire... who enjoys the IL2 series and plays regularly... I definitely want to clock a few hours on this visually stunning game as long as there are enough people (and hopefully servers) to play it with!

‘Personal message’ me for my user name

Cheers

mcler002
04-09-2011, 11:15 AM
Cheers

MD_Wild_Weasel
04-09-2011, 11:34 AM
online dogfighting is probably the steepest learning curve a virtual pilot could ever encounter. I would consider leanring one "all rounder" plane like the spit and learn what the planes has to offer in the form of advantages/disadvantages. These are usually based on these deciding factors.
turn rate
Roll rate
climb
speed
dive rate.

for example , lets take two planes spitfire and the Bf109. (and im talking in il2 1946 as ive not got the chance to fly online yet!) The spitfire has a better has a better turning circle, so you can easily aquire your opponents six. However the bf109 has a far superior roll rate so it is able to switch its direction much quicker. therefore in the right hands a 109 can literally out turn a spit.
If you learn your plane you learn when to enter or exit a fight with the best advantage under your belt.

Apart from that and reading numerous tactical books there really isnt any shortcuts to being an ace. Lots of people have thier fav rides and tactics which may or may not suit you.So Just play and be prepared to die alot

senseispcc
04-09-2011, 11:35 AM
First learn to fly. Like in real life.
Then learn to fight.

Have a nice game. Do not rush it.;)

Daniël
04-09-2011, 11:37 AM
Gunnery: Deflection shooting. You will need a lot of practicing to do it good, but it's really useful in a dogfight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqv6OoGNq9U

Just a video, there is much more useful stuff on this forum and other places.

Good luck!

mcler002
04-09-2011, 09:57 PM
Gunnery: Deflection shooting. You will need a lot of practicing to do it good, but it's really useful in a dogfight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqv6OoGNq9U

Just a video, there is much more useful stuff on this forum and other places.

Good luck!

I play alot of FPS so i kinda new about that one lol, but thanks all the same

Rattlehead
04-09-2011, 11:53 PM
A lot of it just comes with practice...you will learn an 'instinct' for dogfighting, which only practice can give you.

Two basic tips would be to always maintain speed and altitude.
Don't turn too hard as this bleeds off speed.
Don't dive to the deck and linger for too long...always look to grab altitude whenever possible.

As noted above, learning deflection shooting will be of tremendous benefit as well.

mcler002
04-16-2011, 10:07 AM
When should the rudder be used? or how should it be used effectively

plus

http://www.virtualpilots.fi/hist/WW2History-Manuals.html

interesting little read... even if its not the right models

http://pigeonh.free.fr/bf109.htm

Sauf
04-16-2011, 10:28 AM
Angels and Airspeed is a great read, and is written by an online player (think i seen him post in here yesterday lol). It takes a bit of time and its a steep learning curve but well worth it, I find going back to fps's boring as hell now, no other game has kept my intrest up as long as this sim (2003) and it never grows old as no two online missons are the same. COD has improved on it again and the imersion factor is awesome.

mcler002
04-16-2011, 11:42 AM
OH YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

might stick with a spitfire for abit until the me-109 is "fine tuned" or until i get a trackir to assist with lookin around!

I was flying a Spitfire Ia

Ill see you again Con3para's!

Game gave me a 1/2 of a kill :D

meplay
04-16-2011, 11:51 AM
Try and join a squad, you will learn a hell of a lot from them:!: