PDA

View Full Version : Do 17 finding

Voyager
04-09-2011, 03:15 AM
Saw this linked on Yahoo news:

Do-17 found on Floor of English Channel (http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Rare-World-War-II-German-bomber-found/ss/events/wl/040811warplane;_ylt=AuRym.l5lQdq4kOU1lX2Basb.3QA;_ ylu=X3oDMTB1OWV1a2VhBHBvcwMyMARzZWMDZXAEc2xrA2ltZ1 9oZWFkbGluZQ--#photoViewer=/110408/ids_photos_ts/r68895764.jpg)

Anyone heard anything more detailed about it?

JG14_Jagr
04-09-2011, 04:16 AM
Can you imagine what is down there?

Rangi
04-09-2011, 05:57 AM
That is the one i shot down last night

Chips86
04-09-2011, 06:43 AM
That is the one i shot down last night

You couldnt hit the side of the Bismarck. No, that was me. I ran out of ammo and chuted onto him, smashed his canopy and boot knifed him. True story.

Bungmiester
04-09-2011, 10:04 AM
There has been a thread on this before some where I think on this Forum, apparently it was shot down in goodwinsands off Kent on August the 26th 1940, I have an article about it in an old flypast Mag i think they are going to try and raise it. There should be more info may be at www.rafmuseum.org

Fuchs
04-11-2011, 04:23 PM
upside down i hope they can restore it :)
so i also hope that there is no rests* inside...

Avionsdeguerre
04-11-2011, 04:35 PM
+1 Fuchs :)

Fusek
04-11-2011, 05:04 PM

Don't get your hopes up. I believe it is classified as a war grave, to not disturb the final resting place of the two crewmembers that failed to bail out.

Wutz
04-11-2011, 05:55 PM
Don't get your hopes up. I believe it is classified as a war grave, to not disturb the final resting place of the two crewmembers that failed to bail out.
Might be, but where not cases already reported of sport divers collecting "souveniers" off that aircraft? That is the problem I see, too many know where that plane lies, and it will never come to peace again, unless raised, and the unfortunate inside properly buried.

Robotic Pope
04-11-2011, 06:04 PM

Plans are to conserve the plane and not restore it to original condiction, They say it would end up being just a replica if they fully restored it.

Its a museum piece and needs to be saved before treasure hunters pick it to pieces.

BBrus
04-11-2011, 08:10 PM
Nazi airplane?

Didn't know airplanes had a political point of view.

Bobby109
04-11-2011, 08:34 PM
Nazi airplane?

Didn't know airplanes had a political point of view.

haha!!

That is so funny actually.
Do you ever hear them referring to american planes as a republican airplane (or democratic) lol

Lensman_1
04-11-2011, 08:43 PM
A team of Ubisoft divers is down there scrubbing off the hakenkreuz as we speak ... ;)

Al Schlageter
04-11-2011, 09:24 PM

It is not a war grave as there is no remains in the a/c.

The Times newspaper article from August 2010:

"On that morning Do17Z, serial no 1160, was piloted by Feldwebel Willi Effmert, aged 24. With him in the cabin cockpit were its navigator Herman Ritzel, 21; wireless operator Helmut Reinhardt, 27; and bomb aimer Heinz Huhn, 21, whose job it would be to release the aircraft's 16 50kg bombs over one of the key fighter stations at either Debden or Hornchurch.

Huhn was never to get his chance. While flying above cloud over the Strait of Dover the Dornier became separated from the rest of 7 Staffel. Some time after 1pm it was flying on its own when it was jumped at 13,000ft over Deal by a Boulton Paul Defiant of 264 Squadron from RAF Hornchurch. A two-seat fighter with a four-gun power-operated turret, the Defiant had suffered severely from Messerschmitt Bf109s during the Battle of Britain. But it was more than a match for the Do17, in spite of the latter's six machine-guns With both his engines hit, and one out of action, Effmert put his aircraft into a shallow glide and made a wheels-up forced landing on the Goodwin Sands at low water. The aircraft appears to have "ground looped" just before final impact, landing on its back and killing Reinhardt and Huhn. Effmert and Ritzel survived to be captured, and spent the remainder of their war as PoWs in Canada."

Reinhardt & Huhn bodies were both recovered with Huhn's grave at Cannock Chase, whilst according to Chris Goss, Reinhardt is buried in Holland...

major_setback
04-11-2011, 11:01 PM
It is not a war grave as there is no remains in the a/c.

The Times newspaper article from August 2010:

"On that morning Do17Z, serial no 1160, was piloted by Feldwebel Willi Effmert, aged 24. With him in the cabin cockpit were its navigator Herman Ritzel, 21; wireless operator Helmut Reinhardt, 27; and bomb aimer Heinz Huhn, 21, whose job it would be to release the aircraft's 16 50kg bombs over one of the key fighter stations at either Debden or Hornchurch.

Huhn was never to get his chance. While flying above cloud over the Strait of Dover the Dornier became separated from the rest of 7 Staffel. Some time after 1pm it was flying on its own when it was jumped at 13,000ft over Deal by a Boulton Paul Defiant of 264 Squadron from RAF Hornchurch. A two-seat fighter with a four-gun power-operated turret, the Defiant had suffered severely from Messerschmitt Bf109s during the Battle of Britain. But it was more than a match for the Do17, in spite of the latter's six machine-guns With both his engines hit, and one out of action, Effmert put his aircraft into a shallow glide and made a wheels-up forced landing on the Goodwin Sands at low water. The aircraft appears to have "ground looped" just before final impact, landing on its back and killing Reinhardt and Huhn. Effmert and Ritzel survived to be captured, and spent the remainder of their war as PoWs in Canada."

Reinhardt & Huhn bodies were both recovered with Huhn's grave at Cannock Chase, whilst according to Chris Goss, Reinhardt is buried in Holland...

I wonder why Cannock Chase? It is in the middle of England (where I was born and brought up) and miles from the coast.

Al Schlageter
04-11-2011, 11:42 PM
There was a German war dead cemetery there.