PDA

View Full Version : Your expierience with AI plz

Ivan Fooker
04-08-2011, 08:10 PM
I would like to know about your expioerience about Dogfights with AI.
I got the impression i am just too stupid or i am doin sth wrong.
I know the differences between the FM as we had in Il2 arent valid anymore.

But the Hurricane is flying circles above me and is always faster than me ..in my Bf109E3.

So what are your thoughts about that?
I am not interested in any FM discussions, just wanna know how u expienced the AI atm.

Fusek
04-08-2011, 08:22 PM
I scared a Stuka pilot to break hard. He stalled and crashed :D

Echo76
04-08-2011, 08:32 PM
Well, I can't get into good 1vs1 dogfights, the ai always flees from me and flies pretty straightforward. And the bomber' gunners can't hit pretty much anything smaller than a pregnant whale...

*Buzzsaw*
04-08-2011, 08:38 PM
I would like to know about your expioerience about Dogfights with AI.
I got the impression i am just too stupid or i am doin sth wrong.
I know the differences between the FM as we had in Il2 arent valid anymore.

But the Hurricane is flying circles above me and is always faster than me ..in my Bf109E3.

So what are your thoughts about that?
I am not interested in any FM discussions, just wanna know how u expienced the AI atm.

All the AI seem to be able to outfly any human, and get better performance out of their aircraft.

When flying a 109, I am outclimbed by a Spit II or even Spit I or Hurricane.

When flying a Spit I or Hurricane, the 109's leave me in the dust, when flying a Spit II, the 109 still climbs away easily.

This is no matter whether or not my aircraft are trimmed properly and engine running correctly.

Ivan Fooker
04-08-2011, 08:48 PM
All the AI seem to be able to outfly any human, and get better performance out of their aircraft.

When flying a Spit I or Hurricane, the 109's leave me in the dust, when flying a Spit II, the 109 still climbs away easily.

This is no matter whether or not my aircraft are trimmed properly and engine running correctly.
That is pretty much the same i expierienced.
Nice to hear that i am not alone being a l"ooser".Thx.

Well atm there are for sure much more important issues to solve.
I was flying the past 20 mins behind a bomber party of Blenheims with my Bf109...and i was barely able to overhaul them.I mean i made it, but it took a long time.

bongodriver
04-08-2011, 08:54 PM
I've noticed the AI have another IL2 hangover.....they know when youre out of ammo and start flying straight and level just to take the piss....

@.@
04-08-2011, 09:03 PM
I am having serious trouble with the blenheims, not only are they almost impossible to catch up to, the gunners in them are deadly accurate and can shoot me down in a matter of seconds.
They are extremely hard to shoot down, i have wasted an entire magazine with cannon rounds on one and it just kept going. I managed to shoot one down by filling his cockpit with hot lead, but i almost got killed in the process. ;)

With an bunch of blenheims, defeating the third reich would be a piece of cake :P

Flanker35M
04-08-2011, 09:33 PM
S!

Not much of an improvement over IL-2, for example I can fly below a Heinkel or Dornier within 10m and he misses me?! Attacking bombers is far from the IL-2 "sniper gunners" smearing you from extreme ranges. AI has patterns as in IL-2, easy to figure out and still they get magical performance out of their planes. And fighters can't hit a squat, same as in IL-2, keep small turn an watch them shoot thin air :)

Strike
04-08-2011, 10:57 PM
AI?
Well cortana helped me save the world from the covenant once, so AI pretty awesome!

And I have to disagree with Flanker on some of his views. After playing thousands of hours of IL-2 (at least it feels like it after 10 years) and tried various AI patches I think this is the best yet.

No, AI is better than IL-2, a lot more random.

Sometimes, AI won't even notice you until you fire your guns across his canopy. Then he will violently turn and almost stall out his plane. Some AI's still zoomclimb away from you and keep their distance until you break off. Then they come for you again. Sneaky bastards, but that would be the better messerschmitt tactic against Spits, avoiding turnfights.

With Lower AI skills, AI can flee for the homebase waypoint when loosing a few squadmates or being hit himself. Other AI keep going at you, and their aiming is ALOT better than IL-2. They now usually lead shots at you instead of shooting short behind you. They also adjust fire more realistically (running tracers up and down along your flightpath trying to make you fly into their firing envelope).

Overall, quite impressed.

Things that remain from IL-2 are twitching control surfaces and excess rudder-use, but that's not really noticeable unless you view them in external view a lot.

Also, they are much more scared of fire than IL-2 and will bail out at the sight of flames. Bailouts also take a little bit longer it seems.

Flanker15
04-09-2011, 02:02 AM
Couple of problems with the AI I have are they seem to be somewhat bad shots, even on the highest skill they'll consistently put streams of bullets over your straight and level plane.
Other problem is they'll bail at the slightest wiff of smoke. This is like Il-2 where they bailed when the plane caught fire but now there's better fire modelling so if a flap catches on fire for 5 seconds and then burns out they'll still bail.

Blackdog_kt
04-09-2011, 05:58 PM
AI?
Well cortana helped me save the world from the covenant once, so AI pretty awesome!

And I have to disagree with Flanker on some of his views. After playing thousands of hours of IL-2 (at least it feels like it after 10 years) and tried various AI patches I think this is the best yet.

No, AI is better than IL-2, a lot more random.

Sometimes, AI won't even notice you until you fire your guns across his canopy. Then he will violently turn and almost stall out his plane. Some AI's still zoomclimb away from you and keep their distance until you break off. Then they come for you again. Sneaky bastards, but that would be the better messerschmitt tactic against Spits, avoiding turnfights.

With Lower AI skills, AI can flee for the homebase waypoint when loosing a few squadmates or being hit himself. Other AI keep going at you, and their aiming is ALOT better than IL-2. They now usually lead shots at you instead of shooting short behind you. They also adjust fire more realistically (running tracers up and down along your flightpath trying to make you fly into their firing envelope).

Overall, quite impressed.

Things that remain from IL-2 are twitching control surfaces and excess rudder-use, but that's not really noticeable unless you view them in external view a lot.

Also, they are much more scared of fire than IL-2 and will bail out at the sight of flames. Bailouts also take a little bit longer it seems.

That's pretty much my experience as well.

The randomness certainly makes for more interesting flying. I like flying the low level intercept mission, which i routinely set-up with my flight in Hurricanes against some Do-17s. In that mission i press my attack until point blank range and then pass underneath the bombers and loop around for the next pass.

I usually look for a bomber on the edge of the formation whose gunners are occupied with another Hurricane and attack that one, which gives me a very good survival rate. However, if i see tracers coming my way it means the AI is already fixated on me and i usually change targets.

Yesterday i decided to press on with such an attack. I scored good hits with the usual hail of .303 rounds, then as i was passing under the Do-17 i got riddled well and proper by both the gondola and nose gunners, got an oil leak that smeared my canopy and had my engine quit after 5 minutes or so.

As for catching up with the AI in fighter vs fighter combat, CEM plays a big part if you have it enabled. A week or so ago i was flying a 6 vs 6, my flight in 109s vs Hurricanes. I went after a guy on the edge of the main furball and he happened to be the most experienced of the lot (my AI wingmen had no trouble shooting down at least three of his buddies while i was chasing him).

Long story short, we ended up completely separated from the main fight in a climbing series of reversals. I don't usually shoot unless i know i stand a good chance of scoring hits, especially with precious cannon rounds, so i mostly used the MGs to force him to turn.

The mission started at around 2500m and by the time i managed to close on him we were almost at 7000m, then he dived back down to 5500m and we started again.

In all this time (about 10 minutes or so) i had difficulty keeping up with him, until i realized i was paying more attention to my angles and less to my RPM. As soon as i started managing my RPM properly i caught up to him easily and shot him down with a point-blank burst.

Ivan Fooker
04-12-2011, 02:07 AM
I just stopped fiddlin around again with the AI.
And each time i play Cod now i notice more and more, the AI is really cheating.
Doesnt matter in what plane they follow me ,..Hurri, Blenheim ... they get me and are able to fly circle above me (Bf109).Really frustrating.
Being able to enjoy Coop maps that issue needs to be fixed imho...anytime.
I first thought it was just misuse of motor management, but i kept the RPM throughout around 22-25 and my engine was running smooth in correct temps.

What I also noticed, which is very similar to Il2 AI, after a certain period of time the AI looses interests or aggression and start flying home(?), at normal travel speed.That of course led to a shot solution for me.
Nevertheless in dogfight ,i ve no chance to use my actual performce advantage vs a Hurri , like in flying chandelles or simple boom&zoom. At least vs the Hurri it should be possible, if the performance table were also be valid for AI controlled planes.

The kind of manoveurs they are doing are just fine.
Compliment to that feature of AI flight.
Sold as seen!

reflected
04-12-2011, 05:56 AM

Pretty much! Not to mention the stupid annoying barrel rolls we all know from Il2. I got so fed up with it that I went back to RoF...

Wutz
04-12-2011, 06:36 AM
Well I find the Blenheims most annoying as they can just totally out manouver a Bf109 as if it where a big lumbering bomber, normally I will not say anything about aircraft performance, but this baby needs some checking. At the moment I refuse to use any Blenheims due to this issue, Wellingtons, Walruses and Sunderlands are more enjoyable.

@.@
04-12-2011, 07:38 AM
I just had a odd incident with a fw200, when I was about to fire on it the pilot decided to put it in a series of rolls. The strange part was that it had a rollspeed comparable to a fw190, a big lumbering bomber making 2 rolls per second is quite a rare sight. :confused:

Rattlehead
04-12-2011, 07:56 AM
Are we talking of AI in the campaign or what?

I haven't flown any of the packaged missions yet, and have only flown against the AI in the FMB.

I don't have a problem shooting them down, and they don't outrun me. (This is at the 'average' AI setting.)

I do wish that they were a little more accurate though. :) Maybe on the higher skill levels they are; so far I haven't gone there.