PDA

View Full Version : what to upgrade first?

David198502
04-08-2011, 12:05 PM
hey guys!
i have a pretty crappy rig and want to upgrade for COD to get playable framerates.but i have no idea about computers so i would appreciate suggestions on what do you think i should upgrade first.i know many would suggest to buy everything new,but my budget is limited.which upgrade do you think would have the most recognizable effect?
my systemspecs:
-Mainboard S1156 INTEL DH55TC,Micro-ATX,bulk
-Prozessor INTEL Core i5-650,3,2GHz,LGA1156,Dual-Core,Boxed
-2x 2GB DDR3 RAM,1333MHz,CL9,KINGSTON ValueRAM
-PCI-E 2.1 SAPPHIRE Radeon HD5570,Lite Retail,Low Profile
-Windows 7Home Premium 64Bit

doghous3
04-08-2011, 12:07 PM
Doesn't seem a bad rig to me.

Perhaps adding more RAM would be beneficial.

But really, if your budget is that tight, wait a bit for the game to be optimized and running better before deciding. My opinion anyway.

bongodriver
04-08-2011, 12:08 PM
First thing to upgrade is a sense of humour and some patience, so far things have been so varied in results that it is difficult to give a comprehensive answer, but almost certainly an old rig is not going to make use of the more advanced aspects of this sim.

David198502
04-08-2011, 12:16 PM
well im not depressed with my game experience in COD.and i think im a patient person.and im positive that the patches will improve performance.but i dont believe that with my current set up, i will be able to set the video settings to high and have a smooth gameplay some day.to achieve that,the best solution seems to buy a complete new pc,but i just cant afford it right now.so upgrading continuously, seems to be the only choice.for that,i would need tips what to upgrade first.

bongodriver
04-08-2011, 12:33 PM
Like doghouse said some more ram won't hurt, therest of your rig doesn't sount too bad, I have no experience with ATI GF cards so cant comment too much but low-profile...Lite retail sounds as if it at the bottom end of the scale in its peer group.

Slechtvalk
04-08-2011, 12:38 PM
new videocard would be best, one with 2 gig or more memory, like 6950 2 gig. More ram wouldnt help with COD (since its 32bit game).

Fuchs
04-08-2011, 12:45 PM
new videocard would be best, one with 2 gig or more memory, like 6950 2 gig. More ram wouldnt help with COD (since its 32bit game).

GTX 570 Phantom 3Go is a good upgrade so before, it coudl be fine to upgrade COD to a finished sim...
sory dude so i realy thing that is too early to upgrade hardware before 1C solve majors bugs

jibo
04-08-2011, 01:19 PM
your computer is not that crappy but you should wait and see at least a month especially if you're on a budget

Helrza
04-08-2011, 01:25 PM
Biggest performance upgrade for any system would be the RAM itself mate, followed by the vid card for gaming. If you nail both at the same time ur laughin :)

Tree_UK
04-08-2011, 01:46 PM
Personally I would wait before upgrading David, lets see what happens with the patch(s) and also what the Dev's discover when they have another look at the code. It appears that the game currently is not taking full advantage of either the CPU, GPU or ram, once this as been determined you should get a better idea on where to spend your hard earned cash.

David198502
04-08-2011, 03:18 PM
thx to all of you!btw, i dont want to buy anything immediately anyway.i will wait as you suggested how the game evolves and then upgrade it.so ram and video card are the two parts that will have the most effect?

Oldschool61
04-08-2011, 03:26 PM
hey guys!
i have a pretty crappy rig and want to upgrade for COD to get playable framerates.but i have no idea about computers so i would appreciate suggestions on what do you think i should upgrade first.i know many would suggest to buy everything new,but my budget is limited.which upgrade do you think would have the most recognizable effect?
my systemspecs:
-Mainboard S1156 INTEL DH55TC,Micro-ATX,bulk
-Prozessor INTEL Core i5-650,3,2GHz,LGA1156,Dual-Core,Boxed
-2x 2GB DDR3 RAM,1333MHz,CL9,KINGSTON ValueRAM
-PCI-E 2.1 SAPPHIRE Radeon HD5570,Lite Retail,Low Profile
-Windows 7Home Premium 64Bit

The 5570 is certainly the weak link. However once they finished with code issues it may perform halfway decent but its definetly seen better days!!

scorpac
04-08-2011, 04:07 PM
there was a thread of a guy who worked for il2 and made some rating about CoD. he told that no computer of the world could run the game nice and smooth because the game doesnt support much newer hardware better than the old one... so i think if you can play it at the moment i would wait until major fixes of the engine

David198502
04-08-2011, 04:36 PM
true the video card was a pretty cheap one.but to nats:i already have 4gb ram,although the more the better.
i will wait and see if it is better to buy a new processor or video card and ram.both at the same time a cannot afford at the moment.

while waiting, i enjoy the game how it is.today i set up a mission in fmb with 18 hurries and 8bfs over france.i still had 25fps average(although there were only small villages nearby)i set the time to 5:30 in the morning.it looked awesome.the colours are much better in evening or morning in my opinion.the fields and the shadows of trees and buildings just look real at dawn.and also the water of rivers look way better than at high noon where it looks a bit too deep blue in my view.i love this game with all its problems.

Oldschool61
04-08-2011, 05:57 PM
there was a thread of a guy who worked for il2 and made some rating about CoD. he told that no computer of the world could run the game nice and smooth because the game doesnt support much newer hardware better than the old one... so i think if you can play it at the moment i would wait until major fixes of the engine

Until the code has been thoroughly optimized there is no telling what the real specs are. Thats probably why they didnt want to talk about what hardware was need becasue they still dont know how good this will run once finished!!

Oldschool61
04-08-2011, 05:58 PM
true the video card was a pretty cheap one.but to nats:i already have 4gb ram,although the more the better.
i will wait and see if it is better to buy a new processor or video card and ram.both at the same time a cannot afford at the moment.

while waiting, i enjoy the game how it is.today i set up a mission in fmb with 18 hurries and 8bfs over france.i still had 25fps average(although there were only small villages nearby)i set the time to 5:30 in the morning.it looked awesome.the colours are much better in evening or morning in my opinion.the fields and the shadows of trees and buildings just look real at dawn.and also the water of rivers look way better than at high noon where it looks a bit too deep blue in my view.i love this game with all its problems.

What resolution you playing at?

David198502
04-08-2011, 06:26 PM
well i have to confess i play at really low resolution of 1024x768.so its a bit blurry although i dont really mind.

Oldschool61
04-08-2011, 06:38 PM
well i have to confess i play at really low resolution of 1024x768.so its a bit blurry although i dont really mind.

Thats actually not bad. Technically thats equivalent to 720p. If you get decent fps then begin adding trees and buildings till you see a significant drop in fps. ALso instead of increasing your resolution try adding 2X AA that will be roughly the same as increasing your resolution but be more fps friendly.

David198502
04-08-2011, 07:14 PM
well with these fps, i have trees on average,and buildings amount on the second lowest.buildings detail on low.model detail,effects and damage detail all on max.
the rest on medium.