PDA

View Full Version : ground shadows

Jotaele
04-08-2011, 10:23 AM
My groud shadows, tree/building, are flickering like hell.It kills totally the overall aperance of the game.but i have seen videos from other users than doesnt have that effect.Im the only one with this problem?
Im having good FPS , and i have tryed all the settings, but those flickering are always there, is like the shadows are clipping with ground. I have same effect in the outside plane shadows, but less noticeable.
gtx 470, 19020 * 1200.I´m at work, i will try to post screenshots later.
Trying diferent settings in my grafics card setting, dosent help.

touchdown42
04-08-2011, 11:02 AM
No, you are not alone.
Mine do/did this as well.

If you watch the trees from from a close distance you can see that they actually move in the wind, an IIRC the branches even independently!
This movement affects the shadows as well, insane detail.
I think this is one cause for flickering shadows, but definitely not the only one as the shadows of houses are flickering as well, just not so pronounced.

I upped my AA and AF in the CCC overriding the application settings and it seems to bet better now. But of course fps went down by 2-4 and ATM every frame counts :)

BTW, the patch must have definitely improved also the fps situation as i was able to reselect shadows with only marginal fps loss, before it was no joy for me to enable shadows.

2600K stock speeds
8GB DDR3
ATI 6950 2GB
Win7 64

playing @ 1920x1200, forrest medium, effects medium and the rest high, grass, shadows and streets enabled

Jotaele
04-08-2011, 12:38 PM
thx touchdown, but i dont belive that the tree movements are the cause of the flikering, because the trees that you seen when flying at med altitude, arent the same when you are closed, but a simplified version, with less brand or a simple sprite.
it is true that grass + shadows do flickekring again at low distances, but its the grass movement what does the shadow vibrate. It is not the case with tree shadow a med altitud.
I hope we have a fix soon ,mate! Currently i prefer to play with shadows off because that.

Devastat
04-09-2011, 11:26 AM
Yup I have the same problem, it is _really_ annoying. I am afraid I will get a migraine attack as I am looking at those shadows.

I wish there was a vay to disable land shadows - only - while retainging shadows within the plane.

Jotaele
04-09-2011, 06:25 PM
touchdown, i was wrong.I have played more, and it is true than the trees are still moving from a great distance,as you said, and that affects the shadowsmap.By other side, the building shadow map did vibrate too, and these are statics objets.
Also, i did configured my shadows maps in the config.ini to a low level , like 3 instead of 5, so is partially my fault.I tryied that to get better preformance and i did forget it despicte the luthir warning about manual config of config.ini.Whatever , changingback the value shadowmapsize to 5 like is in defaul help me a bit, but flickering is still there.I will try higher values later.

Macka
04-09-2011, 11:36 PM
I am having the same problems but haven't adjusted my config. but might try it just to experiment. I am worried with all the flickering I may end up with an epileptic seizure. I wonder if there is something they could do to prevent that?????

Devastat
04-10-2011, 08:32 PM
@Macka just turn the epilepsy filter back on :rolleyes:

Jotaele
04-10-2011, 11:42 PM
@Macka just turn the epilepsy filter back on :rolleyes:

LOL

Ok, i have tested a bit more , and i have check that it is not the tree movements what causes shadows flickering.If you press pause , the shadows stay quiet, but when turning the camera they flicker.So the shadows maps are computed in a diferent way dependig on the camera angle, i hope in the future we have a better support here. For now, i guess we can only wait, so this tread is dead.Thx for you help.

Wolf_Rider
04-10-2011, 11:47 PM
net search indicates a higher shadow map setting to be the way to go but what is the highest value allowed in game?

Buzpilot
04-11-2011, 01:18 PM
The shadows at a distance look fine, but those inside a radius flicker too much, maybe a slider to change shadow update frequency from 0.1 to 5 sec ?
At least better than just on or off.

Jotaele
04-12-2011, 10:57 AM
The shadows at a distance look fine, but those inside a radius flicker too much, maybe a slider to change shadow update frequency from 0.1 to 5 sec ?
At least better than just on or off.

yea, or an slider to select shadow quality, or shadow distance, or shadows for threes buildings and cockpit separately.
I have noticed that shadow in ground are too much dark for me. That happended too in il2, someone made a mod that correct that.

Devastat
04-12-2011, 06:55 PM
Guys I upgraded my graphics card from Radeon 5850 to 6970, and the flickering shadows are still the same, no difference here. So it is not a bug but in the game.. :/