PDA

View Full Version : Terrain texture appearance

salmo
04-08-2011, 06:50 AM
My PC is too ancient to play COD, but I've been looking at COD pic's & videos a lot. Notwithstanding the time of day, the COD ground textures are not quite right to my eye. They look washed out & too yellowish for my liking. Quite unlife-like I think.

ClOD - English textures
http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/2870/shot20110407133126.png

IL21946 - Martin's English textures
http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/2309/martinsengland17.jpg

BernieBrown
04-08-2011, 08:31 AM
i agree the coloring of the ground texture looks very "gamelike" funny coloring. its too strong imo.

Skoshi Tiger
04-08-2011, 08:48 AM
The two photo have completly different time of day and lighting so I doubt you could make any comparison. Notice that there aren't any elongated shadows on the real life picture.

As a side note, my wife that was looking over my shoulder just now, thinks your havering. She thought the sim screen shot looked fairly life like.

Oh it also looks like a shadow on that small rise in the centre bottom of the photo? I don't know other sims where landscape features cause shadows? That's cool if it is!

Cheers!

Fuchs
04-08-2011, 09:05 AM
here is a link (http://www.checksix-forums.com/showpost.php?p=1150658&postcount=9) to a post in french comunity forum how show real vs COD pictures

very amazing

senseispcc
04-09-2011, 06:33 PM
here is a link (http://www.checksix-forums.com/showpost.php?p=1150658&postcount=9) to a post in french comunity forum how show real vs COD pictures

very amazing

Realy this is the top for now, even if there are some teeding problems this is the best simulation.;)

Avala
04-09-2011, 09:42 PM
IL2 terrain is casting shadows for a long time now.

W0ef
04-12-2011, 09:58 AM
In this case I actually think the screenshot from CoD looks better then the photo lightning wise.

The colour balance of the photo seems off, way too much blue in it.

I do think CoD looks best way early in the morning (start mission at like 4am=stunning lightning)

Heinz Laube
04-12-2011, 10:08 AM
i bet, if maddox used photorealistic ground textures for ClOD, users would find other things to whining..., and say its not good enough, i think there are some more important things to fix at first... i think the ground texture will be look much better, if dynamic weather is in game active...

Bewolf
04-12-2011, 11:24 AM
I think the problem with CoD, if that is a problem at all, is that every day right now is a bright summer day with perfect lighting. Under such conditions I think CoD textures are quite believable, too many folks here are probably used to desaturated WW2 movies in their imagination of the European theater. (then again, I noticed a lot of Russian games give the impression of a "model train landscape", if that makes sense.)

However, I am looking forward to a more dynamic weather system with less intensive lights to get a more dynamic experience in regards to landscape lighting and impression. Hopefully that is possible.

Georgio41
04-12-2011, 11:30 AM
The terrain lighting is good even if in the example here the river is defying gravity by flowing uphill :D

The two photo have completly different time of day and lighting so I doubt you could make any comparison. Notice that there aren't any elongated shadows on the real life picture.

As a side note, my wife that was looking over my shoulder just now, thinks your havering. She thought the sim screen shot looked fairly life like.

Oh it also looks like a shadow on that small rise in the centre bottom of the photo? I don't know other sims where landscape features cause shadows? That's cool if it is!

Cheers!

Flying Pencil
04-12-2011, 05:10 PM

Cheers!

Yes, it DOES look like a hill!

But notice the river runs OVER that little hill?

We will see its true later.

Ailantd
04-14-2011, 04:40 PM

Cheers!

And with a river crosing the hill, up and down !
hehehe

BlackbusheFlyer
04-14-2011, 09:31 PM
The CoD screenshot is much more accurate than the second screenshot, England from the air does not look washed out like that even on the most overcast of days. I am a pilot and exceedingly familiar with the English countryside flying over more days than I can count.

Avimimus
04-17-2011, 03:17 PM
My explanation -> deuteranomaly

scissorss
04-17-2011, 03:58 PM
Show a comparison from a takeoff point of view..

GOZR
04-17-2011, 04:28 PM
I'm sad to see no river banks as promise :( Haa we will see what are the possibilities soon i hope .. ;)

Ekar
04-18-2011, 05:58 PM
I want to reserve final judgement until I have my own copy to test, but going by many of the screenshots on release I can't really say the landscape textures have really wowed me. I think it's the painterly, non photographic look that turns me off- the way textures blend into each other artificially, especially along the rivers this is quite noticeable. The colours are more subjective, since environment lighting can be so diverse. But resolution, detail, and overall balance and cohesion of the ground textures seems lacking. It looks unconvincing for now. Perhaps this is not such a big deal when everything is in motion, but seeing how well Wings of Prey handled the environment I was looking forward to seeing it matched or bettered by ClOD. The water on the other hand looks fantastic, with the small breaking waves punctuating and breaking up the surface. Really nice touch.

I'll just repeat I don't have the game yet. Looking at static screens you can of course get quite picky. I've done some environment work for other games and understand the argument well that details are lost in the heat of battle. You could work on perfecting textures endlessly but at the end of the day you're looking through the crosshairs, not down onto scenery. Still, nice scenery is nice :grin:

seiseki
04-18-2011, 07:51 PM
As previously pointed out, it all depends on the lightning conditions..
If it's a bright summer day then everything will look more yellow and vivid..

krz9000
04-19-2011, 11:00 AM
im not a big fan of that game but WOPs terrain color grading was top notch. i wouldn't mind if the clods devs try to mimic it.

RocketDog
04-20-2011, 07:29 PM
As previously pointed out, it all depends on the lightning conditions..
If it's a bright summer day then everything will look more yellow and vivid..

Nope - they just got the colours wrong to represent England in summer. The yellow cast makes it look more like southern France. I suspect their budget didn't extend to sending someone to the UK in summer and hiring an aircraft. Of course, they could have consulted some of us who actually do fly over southern England in summer...

I don't have WoP, but I rate RoF as better than CloD in terms of convincing texture colours, even if the textures are perhaps of lower resolution.

Plt Off JRB Meaker
04-25-2011, 04:06 PM
Remember,BOB was fought during the summer months,by all accounts it was quite a hot summer so I think COD is pretty accurate.You would'nt expext it to all look too green,the sun would've bleached the fields to a fair extent.

Vengeanze
05-31-2011, 04:19 PM
I think the problem with CoD, if that is a problem at all, is that every day right now is a bright summer day with perfect lighting.I don't know myself but didn't pilots of that era stay away from flying in bad weather?
If so, then if you had your rain in a mission noone would be flying. :-D