PDA

View Full Version : Propeller IS visible ...

Lensman_1
04-07-2011, 08:15 PM
I happened to lean out of the side of an open canopied Spitfire today, looking forward and there was my propeller, clearly visible as a spinning disc with yellow tips. Leaning back in it became barely visible. I think this looks accurate and it most definitely IS there.

Strike
04-07-2011, 08:47 PM
it's always been there to me. Sometimes when you have the sun at your 6 you'll see the disc brighten up since it's reflecting the light. Propeller looks like it should, nearly invisible. In real life, you can't make it out as a moving item unless it's at low RPM and you're shifting view in the direction of the top blade. (Ever noticed that when staring at a helicopter looking dead center you can't really see the blades too defined, but if you start following the blade tip in it's rotation you can briefly make out the blade as your eyeball moves)..

Anyways, I think they look PERFECT :)

scissorss
04-07-2011, 10:44 PM
Anyways, I think they look PERFECT :)

I agree.

Prop~Strike
04-08-2011, 06:19 AM
I agree.

I agree also.... looks good to me. I hope they don't go changing them just because people who have only seen spinning props on tv/film thinks that's how they're supposed to look.

SG1_Lud
04-08-2011, 06:50 AM
I agree also.... looks good to me. I hope they don't go changing them just because people who have only seen spinning props on tv/film thinks that's how they're supposed to look.

+1 man,
yesterday one of my mates was complaining because "the view was not shakeing when firing, like the gun cams"

White Owl
04-08-2011, 07:10 AM
Fun fact for the day: the closer you are to a spinning propeller, the more difficult it is to see. When you look at a distant airplane, its prop will be more easily visible than the prop spinning just five feet in front of your face.

And concerning the yellow tips... I don't know so much about how various forces of WWII may have painted their props, but nowadays the common practice is to paint the side facing the pilot a uniform flat black, precisely to make it less visible, less chance of distraction. Only the side facing away from the pilot is painted with stripes at the tips to make the prop more visible to ground crew.

The only time I ever saw the propeller while piloting small aircraft was when I forgot to turn off the wingtip strobe lights before entering a cloud.

utu
04-08-2011, 07:42 AM
I don't like this prop rendering because it is "flat", just better when you see it in the profile view, but in the 3/4 view it is poor rendered. Also when the prob is at lower rpm, the rendering is poor and flat, just like the old versions of CFS.

Jotaele
04-08-2011, 09:26 AM
I have fly in prop planes for years (not like pilot) and never saw the propeller disapear completely at any speed.You cant notice the blades of course, but ,iirc,there are a slight darken disc that i dont see in clod.i think it depends on the number of blades, if you have 4 blades, they will cover more surface, so less luminosity when they fade out by movement.You do not need a real plane, did a RC plane get the propeller totally invisible?

I like a lot the props in clod , but i think they could be much better.I think they tweaked the prop inside the cockpit due the antielipsis limitis.
If not, why can you see your propeler outside the cokpit glass, but it disaper from inside? So they reduced the number of effect at medium RPM where the effect are more noticeables, and tranlated at the first stages of the engine running with very low RPM, and then , fade out completely.I hope im wrong and the propeller are has they should and we dont have a manipulated work.

Actually,the effect i would like to have more, is the reflection of the sun over the propeller that i have seen in the airshow.

There are here a real pilot that can give us his experience wiht a nose propeller?It could be very helpfull if he compare Clod's propellers, with reallity .

322Sqn_Dusty
04-08-2011, 10:56 AM
A screenshot made from a movie shot during taxiing of a Vintage Tigermoth. Recordings made from front pit after flight. Low rpm, sun from six position.

Jotaele
04-08-2011, 12:30 PM
A screenshot made from a movie shot during taxiing of a Vintage Tigermoth. Recordings made from front pit after flight. Low rpm, sun from six position.

Thx, but i dont think that a photo or movie is usefull here, due than depending of expusore/light conditions, ISO etc, the visible effect is diferent that human eye can see.Anyway its a great picture. Love the dirty look :-)

Jotaele
04-08-2011, 12:40 PM
When i was talking about propeler brightness i was thinking in that.

Pls, ingnore the plane whre the prop is used, :rolleyes: ,not a warbird precisely...

http://airpigz.com/storage/2010-december/French_Electric_Cri-Cri.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1293199689506

322Sqn_Dusty
04-08-2011, 12:40 PM
Indeed the situation is different and a camera 'sees' other things then the MK1 Eyeball.

It's filmed by me with a Panasonic TZ-10 (HD res). The field is EHMZ the Netherlands. Higher rpm is less visible and on rpm change the illusion of rotating plays part. Overall it stays vague.

>>Pls, ingnore the plane whre the prop is used, ,not a warbird precisely...

How do you get a picture of the new Dutch combatplane? We ditched the JSF for this version...

Jotaele
04-08-2011, 01:10 PM
then, how are your impresions about clods's propeller vs your experience in tiguermoth?
Btw, nice camera, you should share the film somewhere.
About hte secret plane, it was hidden under a newspaper in the street, but wind left it uncovered :), so the picture was made.

bongodriver
04-08-2011, 01:48 PM
Thx, but i dont think that a photo or movie is usefull here, due than depending of expusore/light conditions, ISO etc, the visible effect is diferent that human eye can see.Anyway its a great picture. Love the dirty look

Plus a still shot will only show blurred blades and not the entire prop disc.

in my experience flying vintage aircraft I would say the props are just fine, they are not totally invisible but they are barely noticeable, only when you have a clear view of the entire prop disc are you aware of the slight darkening where the disc is.

David Hayward
04-08-2011, 02:23 PM
Plus a still shot will only show blurred blades and not the entire prop disc.

Not if the photographer knows what he is doing... :cool:

http://www.aero-pix.com/westfield10/klatt/images/img_011.jpg

bongodriver
04-08-2011, 02:27 PM
Not if the photographer knows what he is doing...

No arguing with that.......I'm just a pilot

322Sqn_Dusty
04-08-2011, 04:25 PM
About the Moth, It's very nice done with the CoD version, handeling can't be compared because i don't feel the plane with my x52. It's very detailed.And shaking due wind and engine get's close.
I agree that a still shot is just a moment in time, the props irl are as stated above, just a slight difference in view and barely noticeble from the cockpit.

scissorss
04-08-2011, 04:58 PM
The props in game look how they do to the naked eye. However, I would like to see the actual props when you pause or drastically slow down time. Not a major issue and there is plenty more to be done, but sometime down the road. I know Luthier said we may never see this happen. But a guy can hope. :)

ARGH
04-08-2011, 08:20 PM
the prop in front of your plane disapears when the rpm's climb. it should dissapear. luthier even stated they may not fix this to comply with some stupid epilepsy rule by ubisoft.

the prop is only visible when you reduce the rpm's. it's that simple. you are fooling yourselves if you think otherwise.

Flanker35M
04-08-2011, 09:47 PM
S!

The prop is good as it is now, at least for me. I am not there to stare at a prop but the bogey in the sights :) IMO no need to "fix" them, more important issues there to battle..