PDA

View Full Version : CPU question

Alasdair
04-07-2011, 05:50 PM
Hey Guys. I have just ordered this sim after many months of looking forward to it! Basic question is can I run it with my core 2 duo E4600 cpu? I have 4 gigs ram and am going to buy a GTX460 gpu. What sort of performance can I expect from this setup? Thanks

KG26_Alpha
04-07-2011, 06:13 PM
Hey Guys. I have just ordered this sim after many months of looking forward to it! Basic question is can I run it with my core 2 duo E4600 cpu? I have 4 gigs ram and am going to buy a GTX460 gpu. What sort of performance can I expect from this setup? Thanks

Very poor performance unfortunately.

Oldschool61
04-07-2011, 06:13 PM

Until the code has been optimized I wouldnt expect much. With the way the game code is now theres know telling what type of system is needed to run this. Likely you may be able to run it in the future with modest resolution and details but when that is is anyones guess. There is no reason it shouldnt come close to the RoF performance requirments. But that will depend on how good of skills the programmer has.

madrebel
04-07-2011, 06:15 PM
you should upgrade that cpu to at least the e8500. then overclock the hell out of it. that should be more than playable once they get all their performance patches dialed in.

Rattlehead
04-07-2011, 07:16 PM

Hard to say, especially at the moment.

I'm also running a dual core (E6850 stock speed) with 4 gig Ram and a Radeon 5870. OS is Win 7 32-bit.

Performance isn't too bad...40-60 fps over water at 1920x1080.
Over land, with buildings on low, building detail on low,forest off, land shading on low, decals on high, effects on high, models on high I get 25-40 fps. (But with some stutter.)
Unfortunately, over London the framerates drop to unplayable levels.

I also run shadows and mirrors on. Pre-patch.
This is flying alone.

With other planes, say 12 versus 9 or something like that, the performance is okay over land or sea until bombers start taking hits, then the frames take a nose dive.
But just flying around it's fine.

Of course, performance seems to differ wildly even on identical machines, so it's very hard to say.

Oldschool61
04-07-2011, 07:43 PM
Hard to say, especially at the moment.

I'm also running a dual core (E6850 stock speed) with 4 gig Ram and a Radeon 5870. OS is Win 7 32-bit.

Performance isn't too bad...40-60 fps over water at 1920x1080.
Over land, with buildings on low, building detail on low,forest off, land shading on low, decals on high, effects on high, models on high I get 25-40 fps. (But with some stutter.)
Unfortunately, over London the framerates drop to unplayable levels.

I also run shadows and mirrors on. Pre-patch.
This is flying alone.

With other planes, say 12 versus 9 or something like that, the performance is okay over land or sea until bombers start taking hits, then the frames take a nose dive.
But just flying around it's fine.

Of course, performance seems to differ wildly even on identical machines, so it's very hard to say.

Try running at a resoloution of 1440 X 900 and see what fps you get.

Rattlehead
04-07-2011, 09:10 PM
Try running at a resoloution of 1440 X 900 and see what fps you get.

Well, I've tried it at 1280x900 (the only other resolution I can get in full screen) and the frames are not bad at all, although I haven't actually properly tested the FPS, but rather just flew about for a while.
I was able to up the detail level (forest, houses etc.) as well, and the game was running fairly smoothly. But the game looks rather poor outside of the monitor's native resolution. (To me.)

Oldschool61
04-07-2011, 09:35 PM
Well, I've tried it at 1280x900 (the only other resolution I can get in full screen) and the frames are not bad at all, although I haven't actually properly tested the FPS, but rather just flew about for a while.
I was able to up the detail level (forest, houses etc.) as well, and the game was running fairly smoothly. But the game looks rather poor outside of the monitor's native resolution. (To me.)

I would rather run with lower res and higher effects myself. Run with and without 2XAA and compare visuals and fps to see how big an impact the AA has on fps.
As far as native res as long as you maintain the proper 16X9 aspect ratio or similar it should'nt look weird just more jaggies.