PDA

View Full Version : Advanced physics in COD?

Conte Zero
04-07-2011, 08:45 AM
I was just wondering about this: has anybody been hit by fragments from another plane so far? I mean you shoot a plane, and parts of it (ailerons, landing gear, etc) fly away eventually hitting your plane and damaging it.
Does this happen? Is this graphic engine capable of handling such collisions and events? For sure it would be cool.

scorpac
04-07-2011, 09:51 AM
it would be really awesome. at least you can see the whole part of the enemy aircraft falling off ... but i think you cant hit them... didnt happen to me yet

609_Huetz
04-07-2011, 10:21 AM
I'd be happy if exploding aircraft didn't just vanish for starters. ;)

Either way, I have been going right through all kinds of debris and never sustained any damage.

Conte Zero
04-07-2011, 06:31 PM
that would be nice eh?
Ok, it will be in the next IL2 then :mrgreen:

Strike
04-07-2011, 07:39 PM
Nah, I've seen a video of a gladiator or CR42 flying through a tailsection of a plane without jinking.

I've also seen parts hit my aircraft to the point where they actually appear inside the cockpit as they "clip" through my plane.

It's not rise of flight, but I think implementing collision models or "damage-dealers" to the parts is possible, but would stress the performance even more :p maybe some day though ;)

KeBrAnTo
04-08-2011, 05:19 AM
I was just wondering about this: has anybody been hit by fragments from another plane so far? I mean you shoot a plane, and parts of it (ailerons, landing gear, etc) fly away eventually hitting your plane and damaging it.
Does this happen? Is this graphic engine capable of handling such collisions and events? For sure it would be cool.

I nearly was last night, a loosen aileron from a Spitfire past close mi cockpit but I managed to avoid it. Next time I'll try to collide with the UFO in order to see what happens .... :grin:

Redroach
04-08-2011, 05:51 AM
This is working even in Il2: 1946. If you were too close while your target exploded, you got damaged. I don't know if it works with single pieces of debris there, but, after what I have seen about flak splinters buzzing aroundin CoD, my guess for CoD would be yes.

After reading the thread title, though, I hoped this would be about quantum effects for my hurricane...

609_Huetz
04-08-2011, 06:44 AM
Well, I was just sitting a few meters behind an He 111 when his right wing tank lit up.

Not only was I so close to the explosion that I could have touched it if the canopy was open, the wing snapped around and I flew right through it.

The result: no damage.

Jotaele
04-08-2011, 08:22 AM
Same here, yesterday i cut a cr42 in 2 sections with my hurricane, the tail section whent directly to my nose and i tohugt, "o dear, im dead" beacuse is what happens in ROF, but i passedt trought the tail without any harm.

Conte Zero
04-08-2011, 08:34 AM
This is working even in Il2: 1946. If you were too close while your target exploded, you got damaged.

that's the point!

based on that, I thought maybe the new engine could be a step forward and manage complex collisions. maybe it is ready to implement it in the future, when a low-end pc will be twice as powerful as a top-end pc of today.

I'm sorry for my english, not sure if the last sentence is correct...

BernieBrown
04-08-2011, 09:00 AM
a stuka exploded right in front of me and i was flying through its debris = no damage.

but on the other day i touched a stuka with my wing while i lost the tip of the wing the stuka lost his whole wing. so collision with intact planes is on, but not with debris. the odd thing is that while i was missing the tip of the wing and the outer flap there was no impact on the FM. i was able to fly the plane like usual!

i think they are looking into trees and building collision so while at it hopefully the look at debris collision as well. but we know capacities are limited and the devs. are working insane overtime. so im shure things will be improved but stacked up according to priorities...

i do hope the can implement this after the performance fixes. the DM and FM are the strenght of this sim. and should be maintained and improved well.

although imo the missing immersion on sounds and missions/campaing/gameplay is also a lack that bothers me a lot.

Flyby
04-08-2011, 03:36 PM
So, for all these years of development, no collisions with flying debris? Maybe the difference between CoD, and RoF might be the degree of emphasis being paid to the virtual pilot's experience in the sim. To my dismay I'm getting the impression that CoD lost that focus. Let's not forget the battle for frame rates too. The future patches ought to be interesting, especially since beta-testing seems to be falling to those who buy the sim.
Flyby out

scorpac
04-08-2011, 03:46 PM
i flew through a clipped wing+engine of a bomber and i didnt get any damage