PDA

View Full Version : Anti epilepsy filter performance hit! Or lack of ability to enable/disable it!

b101uk
04-07-2011, 03:37 AM
Wile I was doing some testing just to see what graphics setting changes did relative to the setting I have been using it seams that either

A: Anti epilepsy filter has NO performance hit as it dose nothing so is merely a placebo.

Or

B: Anti epilepsy filter despite being disabled/enabled via the game options (in graphics setting) and confirmed as being off/on in the conf.ini (Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover) is permanently on.

Or

C: as per B: but permanently off

I come to this conclusion because I have been using the fraps benchmark to capture average min & max frame as well as total number of frames over a period of precisely 160sec of a test .trk file which involves descending from 2000ft wile making a 90deg turn onto final before landing so encompasses ground detail changes as you descend.

During testing of the game of the SAME graphics setting the standard deviation in total frames rendered over 160sec was <31 frames with the average frame rate deviation being <0.205 frames (this is prior to testing the anti epilepsy filter specifically)

When testing repeatedly with same .trk file with the same graphics setting & restarting the game after enabling or disabling the anti epilepsy filter (so as also to confirm the change in the conf.ini file) the change in either total frames rendered, average frame rate or minimum and maximum frame rate values was the same and well within the standard deviation noted above, also when graphics resolutions were changed or graphics detail options changed and were tested with anti epilepsy filter “on” & “off” the results matched each other for like for like settings.

Both “EpilepsyFilter=0” & “EpilepcyFilter=0” have been tried at the same time in both the conf.ini locations.

Also during a couple of test task manager was run in the background recording CPU etc use during the playing of the .trk file, when the graphs were viewed for the anti epilepsy filter “on” & “off” there was virtually no difference to the peaks and troughs of CPU use, RAM use etc.

So as far as I can see and detect by empirical testing there is a lack of ability to enable or disable the anti epilepsy filter and one must assume that it must be ON all the time or is a placebo. :rolleyes:

DrPepper
04-07-2011, 04:06 AM
I have noticed it has no effect on FPS for me, nor do I notice a difference in the rendered screens... Luckily I got the game running well for myself.

I have also tried the correct & incorrect spelling.

Ha, ya... A placebo, I had thought about that as well. Just like they say about the crosswalk button.

JG301_HaJa
04-07-2011, 06:08 AM
I've made the same test myself and have asked the same Q in a thread before but I have no answer to it.

On my system I don't get any difference what so ever on or off.

But I wouldn't go as far as say placebo, there might be other stuff messing with things
but who knows?!

Wolf_Rider
04-07-2011, 12:54 PM
the switch is a placebo

baffa
04-07-2011, 04:08 PM
Enabling or disabling doesn't seem to do a thing..

pupaxx
04-07-2011, 04:46 PM
You have to add Antiepilepsy=0 manually in tour config file (docs folder, not steam folder)
the line epilepsyfilter=0 doesn't works, the switch in GUI changes epilepsyfilter from 0 to 1 but the line command is ineffective, try
it works for me
Cheers

[RS]Boomer
04-07-2011, 06:43 PM
Im going to say Placebo as well. I tested the frame rate and stutters, and they seem to be exactly the same. 45 average FPS with epilepsy filter on and off. Plus nothing looks different with the filter on or off.

Edit:
I went back to check again to make sure, and it still was the same. Not one thing changes in the game no matter if the filter is on or off. All the guns still have flames coming out of the barrels, and all the flashes still happen when you hit your target. I don't understand why they would have a switch that does nothing. I hope I am mistaken by this and there is in fact a change when you turn on or off the filter. But from everything I can see, nothing changes.

b101uk
04-07-2011, 07:52 PM
You have to add Antiepilepsy=0 manually in tour config file (docs folder, not steam folder)
the line epilepsyfilter=0 doesn't works, the switch in GUI changes epilepsyfilter from 0 to 1 but the line command is ineffective, try
it works for me
Cheers

i have:

[BOB]
EpilepsyFilter=0
EpilepcyFilter=0
Epilepsyfilter=0
Epilepcyfilter=0
Antiepilepsy=0
Antiepilepcy=0
AntiEpilepsy=0
AntiEpilepcy=0
AntiEpilepsyFilter=0
AntiEpilepcyFilter=0
Antiepilepsyfilter=0
Antiepilepcyfilter=0

in both the conf.ini (docs folder & steam folder) it dose absolutely nothing what so ever and performance across many different trk files is identical with them all set to either 1 or 0 and pre or post beta patch.

Eldur
04-08-2011, 10:21 AM
i have:

[BOB]
EpilepsyFilter=0
EpilepcyFilter=0
Epilepsyfilter=0
Epilepcyfilter=0
Antiepilepsy=0
Antiepilepcy=0
AntiEpilepsy=0
AntiEpilepcy=0
AntiEpilepsyFilter=0
AntiEpilepcyFilter=0
Antiepilepsyfilter=0
Antiepilepcyfilter=0

in both the conf.ini (docs folder & steam folder) it dose absolutely nothing what so ever and performance across many different trk files is identical with them all set to either 1 or 0 and pre or post beta patch.

That's more than I have :D

AntiEpilepcy=0
AntiEpilepsy=0
EpilepsyFilter=0
EpilepcyFilter=0

Nevertheless, it doesn't seem to work at all. Maybe the effect the filter adds is gone, but it's still running somehow and stealing lots of frames. Just because: Why do I get 150+fps (yes, one-hundred-and-fifty-plus!) with a 640x480 window (and that with a graphics card that isn't even supported officially, the HD3870), and just 15-20 @ 1024x768? There has to be something extremely pixel-dependant eating up the whole performance. I've never ever seen any program with such large performance differences with so little resolution steps, not even software rendered games 10+ years ago.
The filter, as described running through the whole screen pixel by pixel is definately still running, maybe it just doesn't alter the pixels anymore, but it's still checking. We have to get rid of it completely.

Tvrdi
04-08-2011, 10:26 AM
so your all saying this was intended to be Anti-community-rage filter?

notfinishednotoptimisedsim = 1