PDA

View Full Version : Things we miss from IL2 (fixes that should be done in CoD)

lep1981
04-06-2011, 07:18 PM
Hello People,

I've been playing IL2 since the very first game release back in 2001 or so... and I've seen all the progress of the game first hand. I waited for Cliffs of Dover (storm of war, as it was named originally) since the very first glimpse of news about it very LONG time ago. Now that I have my Collector's edition, I am both, happy and a bit disappointed (even though I know things will get sorted hopefully in not the very long run).

I'm happy cause I can see what the game has to offer, I love the graphics, the lighting is just shockingly amazing, the DM and FM are great in my humble opinion (still trying to get used to the FM after almost 10 years of IL2).

However, my disappointment reveals itself while actually trying to make some subtle changes to make the game a bit more enjoyable. I can't help but miss a few things that I'm sure more than one of you guys miss as well when trying to actually reach a level of freedom while playing the game and I'll mention bellow:

1.- Quick Mission Editor: No offence, but the new quick mission "selector" is very restrictive, you can't even select a loadout for your plane. Compared to the amazing quick mission editor from IL2 sturmovik, I thing a few things should be adopted into the CoD editor once the whole interface reaches a level of stability as for not to crash while trying to change some things to the planes, etc.

2.- Skins & Paint Squemes: This is an important feature, that in many cases helps players to create their own identity in the game, specially in multiplayer games. I know the game already has the capability but once again, there is not "simple" way to get this done in game do to interface locations and issues. Having this working will make A LOT of people happy.

3.- Multiplayer: I haven't yet being able to connect (or find) any server online. I managed to find a couple of IP addresses for servers in these forums, but at least at the moment I tried to connect they were down or unavailable for some reason. I suppose the team is working hard to solve this issue. In the other hand, it's been said that the multiplayer server browser issue belongs to Steam. Whatever the case, I'm sure the entire community will thank and appreciate all the efforts regarding this inconvenience.

Hopefully those and several other issues will be solved in a short or medium term as Luthier has already pointed out in previous posts.

Thanks for reading,

Over and out!

xnomad
04-07-2011, 02:14 AM
What I miss is being able to view tracks after a flight, rather than having to pre-empt a brilliant flight by hitting record before the action starts.

I have some unbelievably good QMB flights and I want to watch some of the damage in slow motion again and realise I didn't record it.

And yeah the QMB interface is atrocious.

ptisinge
04-07-2011, 02:41 AM
If we compare IL2 to COD, there are a number of things in the UI that are missing and/or would work better if following the good old IL 2 system:

For loadouts, regardless of the type of mission, we should be able to access a loadout and skin menu after we pick a mission type, just like in the old IL2 way. This should be the last steps before flying (together with a briefing screen with a map showing the mission). No need to innovate, just make sure to reproduce the functionality of IL2.

I also miss a proper career screen listing the careers I started and where I stand in each of them, and within careers we need some screens listing the pilots stats and the state of the squadron. With this, people will be able to build great campaigns of all type, but the UI needs to be there for it.

I'm quite optimistic, RoF has UI issues too and the devs went through complete overhauls (and look at what they're doing with their campaign mode), and CoD just needs the same type of care.

lep1981
04-07-2011, 07:11 AM
Another thing I noticed yesterday... I created a local MP server just to see how MP would be.... and oh my God! those MP maps look like an Xbox game world... I really wanted to cry :(

Again, some very good examples of multiplayer maps can be found looking backwards into IL2. The isles map was amazing, and some others as well.

Obviously the MP wasn't a priority for release, which I kind of understand due the pressure over the dev team... but PLEASE dev team, try to give us all multiplayer fans a "treat" eventually with some magic into the MP. ;)

Rocka
04-07-2011, 07:57 AM
Picture this: You just moved out from your old girlfriend and just a few days later you meet this gourgeous woman.

The old one was nice and never complained, but ugly as few.
The new one is a real beauty, but can be a real biatch sometimes.

Now imagine telling your new girlfriend about what things you miss from your ex girlfriend...*SMACK*

That´s right folks, you shouldn´t live in the past, dwelling over things that was and were.
And above all maby, just maby, if you nag a little here and there about what your new girlfriend does wrong, some day she could become a real gem.
But never ever tell her what your old girlfriend did better... :)

Tvrdi
04-07-2011, 08:21 AM
what I miss from original IL2....
- non clickable cockpit (leave this to CFS geeks)
- more realistic landscape colors (in COD its too bright and too saturated)
- already mentioned quiock mission editor
- working AA
- better sounds
- much better optimisation
- much better multiplayer maps

what is better in COD - FM, DM, cockpit graphics and sounds...

reflected
04-07-2011, 08:26 AM
Picture this: You just moved out from your old girlfriend and just a few days later you meet this gourgeous woman.

Now imagine telling your new girlfriend about what things you miss from your ex girlfriend...*SMACK*

That´s right folks, you shouldn´t live in the past, dwelling over things that was and were.
And above all maby, just maby, if you nag a little here and there about what your new girlfriend does wrong, some day she could become a real gem.

Sorry, but that's BS.

I'd describe it as follows: My old girlfriend comes home after plastic surgery. She got a boobjob, and she's as slim as Angelina Jolie, but they accidentally cut off her nose and in the shock she forgot how to cook.

More or less the same developers created a new game. We have every right to miss every item in Tvrdi's list ;)

jimbop
04-07-2011, 09:05 AM
Quick mission builder, that's it for me.

04-07-2011, 04:30 PM

yeah but the devs want exactly that input to make things right don't they?
and let us be honest mate...if the sim had a real QMB (including the ability to choose your skins etc like old titles had before) it would be twice as good as it is now
oh by the way lads...hi i'm Jim... i bow my head with utmost respect ^^