PDA

View Full Version : FEATUREREQUEST: Analog FOV change

Winger
04-06-2011, 07:30 AM
Hello. I apologize if i am simlply too dumb to figure it out but as far as i got it there is no way to simply increase the FOV analog by pressing one button and decrease it by pressing another.
I think you should consider adding this feature to the game since it makes spotting enemies much easier on full real settings.
Currently CloD handles it with one button that activates the FOV vhange and while pressing the button you have to move the mouse on the Y-axis. This is pretty circumstantial and not hands on the action since you have to take the hands off the hotas (no very practical). Currently i solved it by putting the Y-mouse axis on 2 switches on one of my cooliehats. Sadly there is no way to change the speed in wich the mouse moves when i press those switches and so it always moves with full speed and thereby changes the FOV EXTREMELY fast. Almost impossible to fine adjust.
I request handling it like ROF does. There you can simply put the "increase FOV" function to one button and the "decrease FOV" function to another. In addition to allow the user to fine adjust, they added a slider with wich you can change the inertia in wich the FOVchange happens. This leads to the pilot being able to very smooth and precise change the FOV.
I would love to see this work like that.

Winger

PS: While i am at it i think that the amount of FOV you can change is FAR too much since the maximum looks as if it was like 300° or something like that:)?! Really noone needs such a FOV. Even Multi monitor users dont need that much.

pupo162
04-06-2011, 07:32 AM
how do you get to 300?????

my multi monitor pc only goes as far as a tunnel vision of 40% or such.....

Kankkis
04-06-2011, 07:37 AM
Agreed A-10 and RoF i have put that to slider on my g940, working perfectly.

Kankkis

Winger
04-06-2011, 07:41 AM
how do you get to 300?????

my multi monitor pc only goes as far as a tunnel vision of 40% or such.....

like i described. There is button. Its called something like "hold to zoom" (cannot look since i am currently at work). When you press it and then move tha mouse downward you can increase the FOV EXTREMELY.

Winger

04-06-2011, 07:54 AM
Mapped "hold to zoom" on my X-52 pro, and moving the mouse control on the stick is possible to adjust zoom as you like.

Saluti!

Winger
04-06-2011, 08:04 AM
Mapped "hold to zoom" on my X-52 pro, and moving the mouse control on the stick is possible to adjust zoom as you like.

Saluti!

I have a mouse control on my stick too (Warthog) Up until now it didnt come to my mind to try this out:P. Will do. Thanks!

Winger

04-06-2011, 08:10 AM
You're welcome; obviously, map the button on the stick if the mouse is on the throttle (and vice-versa).

Sorry for my poor english...

jimbop
04-06-2011, 08:37 AM

Saluti!

But I use mine for elevator trim! Nice idea though, thanks - might use it with the pinkie.

meplay
04-06-2011, 08:39 AM
You're welcome; obviously, map the button on the stick if the mouse is on the throttle (and vice-versa).

Sorry for my poor english...

Can you show me a clip of the smooth zoom, cant seem to get it to work :/

04-06-2011, 09:02 AM
I'm at work now; there is a key (Hold to zoom?) to map, search for it in the command options screen.
Holding down this key you can move your mouse to zoom in/out.
Mapping this key in your joystick and using your "mouse emulator" (if present) on your throttle is possible to zoom in/out easily.

Saluti!

Azimech
04-06-2011, 09:10 AM
In IL2 1946 I use the letters I and O = zoom In and Out, and use the freeware tool JoyToKey to repeat 25 times per second the input of the letters, mapped under my buttons 3 & 4 on my MSFFB2. Very smooth and very powerful.

Macka
04-06-2011, 09:26 AM
Excuse my ignorance, but isn't having an un-real zoom setting kinda defeat the purpose of full real settings server giving an un-real advantage? (just playing devils advocate....I would like that kind of feature as well so I'll bind to JS) :)

jimbop
04-06-2011, 09:31 AM
Excuse my ignorance, but isn't having an un-real zoom setting kinda defeat the purpose of full real settings server giving an un-real advantage? (just playing devils advocate....I would like it too) :)

Probably but same can be said for TrackIR/Freetrack. Personally I think these and the unreal FOVs still only come part of the way to compensating for lack of peripheral and real-life vision, or more accurately, awareness.

Jotaele
04-06-2011, 09:43 AM
Yea, im used too to dcs or rof view sistem, and i like it. it took some time to me beacuse i was used to 3 fov form il2 , but now i like more continous and acelerated zoom view.

TheGrunch
04-06-2011, 12:12 PM
Use JoyToKey to set the two buttons to mouse up/mouse down + hold to change FOV, you can adjust the speed of mouse movement in JoyToKey.

Winger
04-06-2011, 12:33 PM
Thanks everyone to the numerous ways of solving my issue!

Winger

BadAim
04-06-2011, 12:52 PM
I still would like a zoom axis though, as it would allow as much commonality with my other sims as possible. Now to go try all of the suggestions!

Oldschool61
04-06-2011, 01:04 PM
Why not tie the FOV to the mouse scroll wheel??

baffa
04-06-2011, 02:18 PM
Why not tie the FOV to the mouse scroll wheel??

I dont think that works, I havent been able to bind anything to the mouse scroll wheel.

Kankkis
04-06-2011, 03:09 PM
Yea, im used too to dcs or rof view sistem, and i like it. it took some time to me beacuse i was used to 3 fov form il2 , but now i like more continous and acelerated zoom view.

Agreed, it's blast, i hope we see same in CoD.
I have rotaries on my g940

Kankkis

Oldschool61
04-06-2011, 03:16 PM
I dont think that works, I havent been able to bind anything to the mouse scroll wheel.

Maybe the Devs could add that feature in a patch soon. I will be playing without Track IR so I need the mouse view to look around and to be able to change the FOV with the mouse scroll wheel would make it very easy to adjust views.

No601_Merlin
04-06-2011, 03:30 PM
Toggle FOV like on IL2 please

DayGlow
04-06-2011, 04:46 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but isn't having an un-real zoom setting kinda defeat the purpose of full real settings server giving an un-real advantage? (just playing devils advocate....I would like that kind of feature as well so I'll bind to JS) :)

Well considering that the devs say the 30deg fov is the closest to 1:1 in real life so zooming in doesn't show anything you wouldn't see in the real world. Displays haven't reached the dpi needed yet to mimic real vision.

I'd love to have fov on an axis as well. Yes you can use 3rd party work around, but I'd rather have something within the sim.

cmirko
04-07-2011, 07:21 AM
Use JoyToKey to set the two buttons to mouse up/mouse down + hold to change FOV, you can adjust the speed of mouse movement in JoyToKey.

Hi mate,

can you please post the screenshots of your joy2key settings ?

kind regards

tintifaxl
04-07-2011, 09:41 AM
I'm content with the 3 fovs I can set via keys. I have mapped them to a 3 state switch (boat switch) on my Warthog throttle.

Redroach
04-07-2011, 11:06 AM
hmm I don't quite get what your real problem is, but you CAN zoom the FoV continuously. On my rig, it's 'hold mouse button #4, then zoom'. The edges of the FoV get distorted (perspective-wise) pretty quickly, though.

cmirko
04-11-2011, 09:23 AM
can anyone who managed to make incremental FOV changes via key/joystick post detailed guide ? I've tried to make this work for a couple of hours yesterday with no success...

cheers

justme262
04-11-2011, 10:50 AM
The best thing about 6 degrees of freedom in track IR in modded il2 1946 is the way it automatically zooms in when you lean forward to look through the reflector sight. No buttons or toggles or anything... just smooth intuitive zoom when i lean forward to aim. Feels like the most natural thing in the world.
I hope they can add this feature and key binding solutions for people without track IR. I could never go back to flying with out track IR... adds feeling to the game as well as seeing and hearing.When you do a loop you feel it cause you look up and over as you do it. If you don't have it I would recommend it highly.

doghous3
04-11-2011, 11:04 AM
Yep, trackIR is higly recommended.

Testing on the FMB, I don't really need to wear my headset, but I HAVE to put it on for the trackIR when fly testing.. it's just 'gah' without it.

major_setback
04-11-2011, 11:31 AM

IMO The human eye is far more sensitive than can be replicated in a sim. If you look at something in real life and concentrate on it, it will be clearer than if you zoomed in a game (depending on how much you zoom).

You can pick out the tiniest of dots in real life. I think that zooming gives an approximation of that sensitivity, but with loss of peripheral vision.

I don't see it as an advantage ('cheating'). You lose a lot of situational awareness by zooming.

senseispcc
04-11-2011, 11:44 AM
I request handling it like ROF does. There you can simply put the "increase FOV" function to one button and the "decrease FOV" function to another. In addition to allow the user to fine adjust, they added a slider with wich you can change the inertia in wich the FOVchange happens. This leads to the pilot being able to very smooth and precise change the FOV.
I would love to see this work like that.

Winger

There are keys to change "angle of view" for 30°, 60° and 90° (not certain about 60°). is this what you need? ;)
You can find this keys into the controls/view menu.

DayGlow
04-11-2011, 01:46 PM
Well for those of us that use more than on screen to play the locked, default zoom levels are still way to narrow so the first thing I have to do in each time I fly is hit the fov key and move my mouse around. Not the end of the world, but it would be nice to be able to just have it mapped to a rotary and flick it back to where I want.

Winger
04-11-2011, 02:04 PM
There are keys to change "angle of view" for 30°, 60° and 90° (not certain about 60°). is this what you need? ;)
You can find this keys into the controls/view menu.

I have a mix set up now. I have 60° FOV and 90° FOV on 2 Buttons and also the zoom on one coolie. Takes a little time to get used to but works great now.

Winger

Buchon
04-11-2011, 02:28 PM
Yeah it work great, but would be better a option to map our desire FOV to a key.

Im using FOV 95 for my 1920x1200 screen, using the Kegetys mod, and that FOV is awesome in my widescreen, just need a offset to forward correction and that is it.

I should correct the camera position, every time that the game is started and I cant switch externals views because the offset configuration is lost in the change.

So a option to set a offset position would be nice too, through Conf.ini or what ever method.

Kwiatek
04-11-2011, 03:23 PM
Why it can be like in other simulators - ROF or FC2 or Black Shark or A-10 where you have smooth FOV change by 2 keys ( ZOOM IN and ZOOM OUT)???

We are now in XXI century i think.

wildone_106
04-11-2011, 03:34 PM
I luv BS & A10s FOv zoom keys much easier but its not a huge deal:)

Why it can be like in other simulators - ROF or FC2 or Black Shark or A-10 where you have smooth FOV change by 2 keys ( ZOOM IN and ZOOM OUT)???

We are now in XXI century i think.

plucka99
04-11-2011, 09:04 PM
Yeah it work great, but would be better a option to map our desire FOV to a key.

Im using FOV 95 for my 1920x1200 screen, using the Kegetys mod, and that FOV is awesome in my widescreen, just need a offset to forward correction and that is it.

I should correct the camera position, every time that the game is started and I cant switch externals views because the offset configuration is lost in the change.

So a option to set a offset position would be nice too, through Conf.ini or what ever method.

Where is this mod where you can set the fov to 95?

DayGlow
04-11-2011, 10:36 PM
Where is this mod where you can set the fov to 95?

Readme for the SFS mod

jimbop
04-12-2011, 10:31 AM
PS: While i am at it i think that the amount of FOV you can change is FAR too much since the maximum looks as if it was like 300° or something like that:)?! Really noone needs such a FOV. Even Multi monitor users dont need that much.

Is anyone else getting that much FOV? I'm certainly not, the zoom out stops at FOV90 for me.

Buchon
04-12-2011, 04:15 PM
Is anyone else getting that much FOV? I'm certainly not, the zoom out stops at FOV90 for me.

He is talking about the cockpit view, it allow more FOV.

Actually the best method to do this is using Joytokey, it allow you to map the mouse to any input.

Im adjusting my FOV and my pilot position (using zoom) just using the POV in my throttle controller.

jimbop
04-12-2011, 09:29 PM
He is talking about the cockpit view, it allow more FOV.

Actually the best method to do this is using Joytokey, it allow you to map the mouse to any input.

Im adjusting my FOV and my pilot position (using zoom) just using the POV in my throttle controller.

I was talking about cockpit view as well. My X52 has a thumb mouse on it which works fine for this but I still can't get anything more than FOV90.

Heliocon
04-13-2011, 05:44 AM
WOP has one too. Although I use my right hand on my joystick and use my left hand on my mouse to swivel my head, with the left and right mouse button functioning and zoom in/zoom out.

For the record, it took me a really long time to be able to multitask this way with my left hand on the mouse... ;)

baronWastelan
04-13-2011, 07:24 AM
WOP has one too. Although I use my right hand on my joystick and use my left hand on my mouse to swivel my head, with the left and right mouse button functioning and zoom in/zoom out.

For the record, it took me a really long time to be able to multitask this way with my left hand on the mouse... ;)

I do something similar, except instead of mouse buttons to zoom in/out, I use the hat switch (right hand) only for zoom. Press forward (0 deg) with thumb to zoom in, pull sideways (90) for "normal", and pull backwards (180) for wide view. I can use my mouse to pan, left finger for mouse button to lean left/right, right tumb to zoom in/out, and right index finger to shoot all at the same time. Plus using rudder pedals, I'm getting exercise while playing Il-2 :D

Azimech
04-13-2011, 08:53 AM

Heliocon
04-13-2011, 07:56 PM
I do something similar, except instead of mouse buttons to zoom in/out, I use the hat switch (right hand) only for zoom. Press forward (0 deg) with thumb to zoom in, pull sideways (90) for "normal", and pull backwards (180) for wide view. I can use my mouse to pan, left finger for mouse button to lean left/right, right tumb to zoom in/out, and right index finger to shoot all at the same time. Plus using rudder pedals, I'm getting exercise while playing Il-2 :D

I would of used the hat but the heard jerking to look at the panels (not a smooth movement) made it impossible to track enemies in simulator. So I use the hat to issue squad orders since there are 4 so it seemed to match nicely :)