PDA

View Full Version : Particle effects performance.

Flanker15
04-06-2011, 05:21 AM
I noticed that Cod has that all too common problem of heavy framerate loss when too many soft particle effects (mainly the nice dx10 smoke) get close to the camera.
Not to bad in other games but in a game where you're often flying through your tracer trails or behind a burning plane it can be problematic.
Might improve with the multicore patch but still something that could be better optimised.
Other places you'll notice fps drops are the dust that comes off a sliding plane and when you crash (the water/smoke effect).

On the flip side: Particle effects like smoke don't have any long range LoD, so when a burning plane gets beyond 1 km from the camera it just stops spawning particles. Smoke (mainly the big smoke) and other trails should be visible out to the horizon in some form.

Strike
04-08-2011, 02:04 PM
I especially notice the FPS drop when viewing the water collision effect. Initially it's ok, but as the water spray grows there's a huge FPS drop..

Flyby
04-08-2011, 03:03 PM
Speaking of particle effects, do you guys think heavy flak will be an issue? I hope the multi core coding gets worked out. In IL2, I recall how I had to decrease the frequency of the flak from ships just to get decent frame rates when attacking a fleet of ships. That flak, and similarly many paratroops in the air, brought frames to low single digits.
Since it's the Battle of Britain, one would expect the flak to be part of the immersive atmosphere, especially over London. Would a virtual bomber pilot expect little or no flak over London? Would he/she find that more or less immersive with regard to the all-important "suspension of disbelief"
Flyby out

Oldschool61
04-08-2011, 03:18 PM
I noticed that Cod has that all too common problem of heavy framerate loss when too many soft particle effects (mainly the nice dx10 smoke) get close to the camera.
Not to bad in other games but in a game where you're often flying through your tracer trails or behind a burning plane it can be problematic.
Might improve with the multicore patch but still something that could be better optimised.
Other places you'll notice fps drops are the dust that comes off a sliding plane and when you crash (the water/smoke effect).

On the flip side: Particle effects like smoke don't have any long range LoD, so when a burning plane gets beyond 1 km from the camera it just stops spawning particles. Smoke (mainly the big smoke) and other trails should be visible out to the horizon in some form.

Try the same with your resolution at 1280X720 and report back.

Conte Zero
04-08-2011, 03:19 PM
water collision effect and smoke trail from a plane, same here, they are two fps ultimate killers
If I fly right TROUGH the smoke trail i drop down to 1/2 frames per second (from 60 fps):evil:

scissorss
04-08-2011, 06:48 PM
Speaking of particle effects, do you guys think heavy flak will be an issue? I hope the multi core coding gets worked out. In IL2, I recall how I had to decrease the frequency of the flak from ships just to get decent frame rates when attacking a fleet of ships. That flak, and similarly many paratroops in the air, brought frames to low single digits.
Since it's the Battle of Britain, one would expect the flak to be part of the immersive atmosphere, especially over London. Would a virtual bomber pilot expect little or no flak over London? Would he/she find that more or less immersive with regard to the all-important "suspension of disbelief"
Flyby out

I made and posted this video showing 9 stukas divebombing in heavy flak. Slowdown was not TOO much of an issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhLY864HVRw

Oldschool61
04-08-2011, 07:48 PM
I made and posted this video showing 9 stukas divebombing in heavy flak. Slowdown was not TOO much of an issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhLY864HVRw

What resolution were you playing at?

scissorss
04-08-2011, 08:46 PM
What resolution were you playing at?

1600x900 I believe, this was pre-patch. Game runs much smoother for me now.

Flyby
04-09-2011, 01:24 AM
I posted my thanks on your You Tube video page. The flak intensity seems much better than what could be achieved on (the old) IL2. I'd still like to see a sky full of bombers over London with flak roaring away at them, and from inside the 'pit. I wonder how the frames would hold up to that? Perhaps after the patch someone will venture in that direction and make such a video. My copy is on order, regardless.
Flyby out