PDA

View Full Version : Programming language used for CoD

faram
04-06-2011, 04:22 AM
I am interested in knowing what programming language (or languages) were used to code Cliffs of Dover. Is the code native C++ or is it a managed language like C# or managed C++ running on the .net runtime ?

My interest stems from the fact that at present i use Java for most of my work so would like to know if complex, performance critical new games like CoD use managed languages or still stick with native C/C++ due to performance reasons.

Thanks

Skoshi Tiger
04-06-2011, 05:36 AM
From memory of a recent inerview it's C and C#. I don't think they mentioned C++ but I could be wrong.

Cheers

HFC_Dolphin
04-06-2011, 06:09 AM
I think it's C++, but not 100% sure.

mazex
04-06-2011, 06:39 AM
99% of all high performance games are written in c/c++ so yes, the 3D engine is written in that. However, MG seems to have continued the tradition of writing the GUI in an "easier" language so that is written in C# this time (it was Java in IL2). Many other games have the same approach as C# is a much nicer language to write GUI:s in.

In the background of some image from the MG office taken a year or two ago I remember seeing something that looked like collision detection code written in C#... That must have been something else though, if they are mixing c++ and c# in the 3d engine they sure would get problems with performance... No conspiracy theories now please ;)

faram
04-06-2011, 07:09 AM
Thanks everybody for your inputs.

One last point, Mazex, when you say the GUI is written in C#, do you mean just the menus or all of the game visuals i.e. aircraft and scenery ?

Thanks

Sneaksie
04-06-2011, 09:04 AM
IL2 was written in Java (game logic, physics, scripts, AI) and C++ (render, sound, net code, landscape, animations), that's why Theatre of War series are also mostly in Java since they use a heavily modified IL2 engine.

Damixu
04-06-2011, 01:57 PM
IL2 was written in Java (game logic, physics, scripts, AI) and C++ (render, sound, net code, landscape, animations), that's why Theatre of War series are also mostly in Java since they use a heavily modified IL2 engine.

User Interfaces was written in Java but actual game engine code was written most likely in C/C++.

Oldschool61
04-06-2011, 02:09 PM
From memory of a recent inerview it's C and C#. I don't think they mentioned C++ but I could be wrong.

Cheers

If they programmed this in assembler it might run on an old pentium 3 just fine, but I dont think theres many programmers with the skills or time to try and code this in assembler.

faram
04-06-2011, 02:42 PM
My question at the start of this thread has been answered by your inputs.

Based on all your responses it seems the engine is written in native C/C++ while the rest is coded in C#.

Thank you all once again.

tintifaxl
04-06-2011, 02:57 PM
If they programmed this in assembler it might run on an old pentium 3 just fine, but I dont think theres many programmers with the skills or time to try and code this in assembler.

It all relates to money. Developing in assembler is time consuming, so it is expensive.

The last project I had the chance to code in assembler was for 386 running DOS back in the late 80s. Then it was C, then C++ and now it's mostly Java. Hardware is much too cheap these days :cool:

HFC_Dolphin
04-06-2011, 02:59 PM
By the way, don't forget that when we install the game it requests to install latest M$ Redistrib. package, so it definitely involves .Net and if so, it has to have the beloved child, C#, at some parts.

Anyway, most probably the answer of developers will be something like "We used x and y languages in various parts, depending on efficiency of task needed".

maclean525
04-06-2011, 02:59 PM
Dude, everyone is guessing here. Truth is we do not know for sure.

baffa
04-06-2011, 03:29 PM
Since it's battle of britain and all.. Blitz Basic? hehe

Deadstick
04-06-2011, 03:59 PM
And here was me thinking it was Russian! :-P